weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2014 Week 52 - Support added and FINISHED

Hi Alan....me too ...I really like the sharp black background...a smashing pic....the stick/twig is just right ...not too heavy that it overpowers the fragileness (!!) of the flower.

Just looked back through your thread ...not sure how I missed your 'linked' but I think that's another good one...very unusual and unique...I like it.

Lovely clear shot Alan - the background balances out the subtle colours of the flowers and branch nicely (y)
A great shot Alan, really like the detail and colour, especially in the top of the twig (y)
Nature, BG works for me. Any detail would distract IMO.

Cheers.
Hi Alan, I like a black BG myself, the twig and the flower work really well and compliment each other and the BG works in bringing out the detail (y)
Hi Alan,
Lovely colours and the flower and the twig look great against the black it makes them stand out nicely (y)(y)

Thanks to you all for taking the time to look and comment

Cant add anything to this (y)
nature - another fan of the back ground really sets the picture off nice details and the colour works nicely
Hi Alan....me too ...I really like the sharp black background...a smashing pic....the stick/twig is just right ...not too heavy that it overpowers the fragileness (!!) of the flower.

Just looked back through your thread ...not sure how I missed your 'linked' but I think that's another good one...very unusual and unique...I like it.
Nature - lovely image and fits the theme.

And thanks to all of you too for the comments

Hi Alan, Action works fine for me, i was dragged on that ride once, never again.
Mono nice sharp statue seems to be a bit of a line around him :thinking:, is it someone we should know.

Hi Alan ....action .... spot on for the theme ....is that Blackpool ... if so I've also been on that one and it's scary :eek: .... Good choice to put three shots at different stages, much nicer than a single shot.

Super angle for your Mono....is he a coal miner or something like that....he has that look about him, I like the way he stands out against the sky.

Last edited:
liking the idea of the three imagaes of the roller coaster - just enough difference in between each to convey the sense of movement... images themselves seem a bit flat(?), dull(?).. Were these a heavy crop from a fair way back?

And my thoughts are exactly the same as Allans regarding the statue, so to save me typing it.....
Mono nice sharp statue seems to be a bit of a line around him :thinking:, is it someone we should know.

(y)

Hi Alan,
I like your action, lovely images with plenty action there(y)
mono ... nice sculpture sharp and fits the theme :)

Thanks Judi

Hi Alan ....action .... spot on for the theme ....is that Blackpool ... if so I've also been on that one and it's scary :eek: .... Good choice to put three shots at different stages, much nicer than a single shot.

Super angle for your Mono....is he a coal miner or something like that....he has that look about him, I like the way he stands out against the sky.

Thanks Susie. Yes, Blackpool and seriously scary - but lots use it in the sun and have fun - not for me:eek:
Statue is in a small town in Spain and , to my shame, I did not take a shot of the plaque. Next time!

Hi Alan, Action works fine for me, i was dragged on that ride once, never again.
Cheers Allan. Statue is in Spain - see above comments. Take your point about the line - not sure why it is there. Original below - some evidence of a line - sun was high in the sky as taken at 11.42 - but maybe the conversion and sharpening etc have emphasised it

Chiclana Man DSCF0582 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

liking the idea of the three images of the roller coaster - just enough difference in between each to convey the sense of movement... images themselves seem a bit flat(?), dull(?).. Were these a heavy crop from a fair way back?

And my thoughts are exactly the same as Allans regarding the statue, so to save me typing it.....

(y)

Cheers Graham - good spot re the roller coaster - they are a heavy crop - I thought that the 18-70 would fit the bill but I now know that I needed more.
On statue - 'to save me typing' :D see above

Beautiful Alan... Dunno if its the fact that I've spent most of today digging out for a patio or not, but I could REALLY go for that right now.

Lovely color and tones, both in the table and the beer. Lovely arrangement and use of the light too.

"Price of a pint continues to rise" in the paper?? Accidental or planned? :)

On the statue, strong light behind can give a halo effect, believe they call it a rim light, and sharpening will exaggerate something like that for sure.

Last edited:
Beautiful Alan... Dunno if its the fact that I've spent most of today digging out for a patio or not, but I could REALLY go for that right now.

Lovely color and tones, both in the table and the beer. Lovely arrangement and use of the light too.

"Price of a pint continues to rise" in the paper?? Accidental or planned? :)

On the statue, strong light behind can give a halo effect, believe they call it a rim light, and sharpening will exaggerate something like that for sure.

Cheers Graham - glad you like it - but then who couldn't like a pint? God's gift to the working man.
I wanted some written reference to beer in order to enhance the title of the shot and the May edition of CAMRA newspaper had that headline that i thought would work with the pic
Just looking at it again now, I do realise how much i enjoyed it with my cheese sandwich a couple of hours ago:)

When your patio is finished, you will always be able to sit on it and enjoy some ale.

Now, Action, on theme and the tryptic works well. I'd did think a little more movement would work better but looking at in Flickr, there is just the right a hint of movement.

Mono, on theme and a nice sculpture. I'd like a more extreme composition from much lower, maybe getting some of the chair on but might not have been possible to get a clean BG.

Twisted, liking the idea and they work well together. A really nice warm photograph.

Good show.

Chests.

Last edited:
Love the idea Alan :) well done on such an original choice and yes the colours all blend perfectly. I really like the reflection of the newspaper in the glass !

Glad you posted the whole picture of the statue .....I really like the way he is sitting on that chair.

Last edited:
Well done on the twisted shot, the placement of the props and composition are spot on. good lighting and tones too. I like the light fall off at the top too, bringing your attention down.

Hi Alan

apologies for being a little to your thread :crying:

twisted....I really don't think you need to reshoot this one :naughty: Well placed items , warm tones & perfectly sharp where needed :clap:

Action.....yup , like the tryptich ( or however it's spelt ! )shows just enough movement & looks better when viewed bigger on flickr :)

Mono..... I won;t mention the outline line round him.......:oops: :$

H Alan, twisted really well thought out, brilliant play on words, very clever. Nice light and the composition is excellent including the relevant newspaper headline :clap:
got to be worth another 5 or 6 reshoots :LOL:

Good clever take on the theme for twisted. Beer has come out nicely, even though I don't drink. I like the attention to detail with regard to the newspaper article too.

Hi Alan :)

Action - A nice triptych, would prefer a bit closer so the changes in the shot were more obvious, but a great idea and well frozen action :)

Mono - Very effective angle, nice DoF and like the way the clouds seem diagonal across the frame, nice detail, and having just viewed the colour shot nice conversion :)

Twisted - Hahaaaaaa fun idea mate !!!! The angle makes the pint look a bit squashed, but the whole shot is well lit, and I like the placement of all the elements, the crumbs help it not look staged - Nice One (y)

Mono- I'm actually liking the whole image Alan, its a great pov (y) For me, I might have been tempted to clone out the palm tree and covert without cropping :)

Twisted is a great shot Alan, as mention, its a lovely warm colour, composition spot on, the paper through the glass really adds to it (y).........unlike DK though, I want to brush the crumbs away :D

Hi Alan, long time no comment, sorry :(
Action, yes certainly contains a sense of movement between the three. My only crit would be on the middle borders in the triptych, they look a little too thick IMHO.
Mono, again on theme, but agree with Andy, perhaps a different pov would have brought the image to life a little. A crop of your reference image I feel would work well. A vertical letterbox crop perhaps?
Twisted, as mentioned a few times above Alan, the scene has a lovely warm feel to it, your use of props really tell a little story. Good work Mister (as Lynne would say ;))

Now, Action, on theme and the tryptic works well. I'd did think a little more movement would work better but looking at in Flickr, there is just the right a hint of movement.

Mono, on theme and a nice sculpture. I'd like a more extreme composition from much lower, maybe getting some of the chair on but might not have been possible to get a clean BG.

Twisted, liking the idea and they work well together. A really nice warm photograph.

Good show.

Chests.

Thanks Andy. Lower pov on statue was difficult because of the palm tree to left which overhangs. But agree with your point

Love the idea Alan :) well done on such an original choice and yes the colours all blend perfectly. I really like the reflection of the newspaper in the glass !

Glad you posted the whole picture of the statue .....I really like the way he is sitting on that chair.

Thanks Susie - the statue is quite a nice addition to that area which is a riverside walk.

Well done on the twisted shot, the placement of the props and composition are spot on. good lighting and tones too. I like the light fall off at the top too, bringing your attention down.

Thanks Adam
Hi Alan

apologies for being a little to your thread :crying:

twisted....I really don't think you need to reshoot this one :naughty: Well placed items , warm tones & perfectly sharp where needed :clap:

Action.....yup , like the tryptich ( or however it's spelt ! )shows just enough movement & looks better when viewed bigger on flickr :)

Mono..... I won;t mention the outline line round him.......:oops: :$

Thanks Lynne . With regards to the outline I wondered what a curved watermark would look like. They do seem popular :exit:

H Alan, twisted really well thought out, brilliant play on words, very clever. Nice light and the composition is excellent including the relevant newspaper headline :clap:
got to be worth another 5 or 6 reshoots :LOL:

Thanks Allan .. I keep setting up that for a reshoot but forget my camera

Hi Alan,
Bitter and Twisted.. great composition the newspaper article and a great reflection in the glass, the beer looks lovely and clear, altogether a good one (y)(y)
Thanks Judi

Hi Alan :)

Action - A nice triptych, would prefer a bit closer so the changes in the shot were more obvious, but a great idea and well frozen action :)

Mono - Very effective angle, nice DoF and like the way the clouds seem diagonal across the frame, nice detail, and having just viewed the colour shot nice conversion :)

Twisted - Hahaaaaaa fun idea mate !!!! The angle makes the pint look a bit squashed, but the whole shot is well lit, and I like the placement of all the elements, the crumbs help it not look staged - Nice One (y)

Cheers DK - agree with point re rollercoaster - went with wrong lens in hindsight and so had to crop too much - anymore and the detail was really bad.

Action - fits the theme, but the three images together is not really working for me.

Mono - lovely take for the theme the close crop works well.

Twisted - lovely idea and perfectly executed.

Thanks Mandy

Fresh - liking it!

Very fresh tomato, contrasting nicely with the white plate and the dark wood BG, nice to see the knife coming in from the right. As if a right hander has cut it, rather than the more favoured lower left entry.

No problem with the edge of the plate being cut off this time, it's intentional and it works. Lovely fresh green leafy thing adds too. (y)

Mono- I'm actually liking the whole image Alan, its a great pov (y) For me, I might have been tempted to clone out the palm tree and covert without cropping :)

Twisted is a great shot Alan, as mention, its a lovely warm colour, composition spot on, the paper through the glass really adds to it (y).........unlike DK though, I want to brush the crumbs away :D

Thanks Phil - interesting view you have on the crop of the statue - I just thought that I wanted to get it cropped and concentrated on him cos was not sure how the conversion to mono would work with the other elements in the shot.
Crumbs - I begin to think that this Challenge is a last refuge for the OCD homeless:)

Hi Alan, long time no comment, sorry :(
Action, yes certainly contains a sense of movement between the three. My only crit would be on the middle borders in the triptych, they look a little too thick IMHO.
Mono, again on theme, but agree with Andy, perhaps a different pov would have brought the image to life a little. A crop of your reference image I feel would work well. A vertical letterbox crop perhaps?
Twisted, as mentioned a few times above Alan, the scene has a lovely warm feel to it, your use of props really tell a little story. Good work Mister (as Lynne would say ;))

Thanks Iain - To confess re the triptych, I loaded them as 3 images on a plain ground and forgot the borders - thes were added later but by then I did not know how to get them closer so that the borders were thinner :banghead:
Mono - I have posted a letter box type on Flickr with a bit of blown out highlights to reduce the b/g. Don't know what you think?
twisted - my favourite to date I feel. Can't think why :rolleyes:

HI Allan I really like this - its simple but lot of interest in there composition works for me ( and the beer looks a decent pint )
Thanks Craig - twas very tasty

Fresh - liking it!

Very fresh tomato, contrasting nicely with the white plate and the dark wood BG, nice to see the knife coming in from the right. As if a right hander has cut it, rather than the more favoured lower left entry.

No problem with the edge of the plate being cut off this time, it's intentional and it works. Lovely fresh green leafy thing adds too. (y)

Good point bout the knife - it never occurred to me cos I am right handed and that is how I would place it. These conventions/habits are built in :)
Thanks Graham - leafy thing is basil - just needs a small piece of mozzarella, some olive oil and a glass of fino.

A good clean and well lit photograph, the subject matter is fresh as is the photograph. I'd prefer the LH to be cropped the same as the RH side, just a preference.

All it needs is a pork pie :)

Cheers.

Hi Alan, thats a really clean sharp pic with great colour in the red and green, I think its quite hard to take whats in your words "an ordinary subject"
and make something of it (y)
Get you with your sprig of Basil :p

Back