weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2014 Week 52 - Support added and FINISHED

Yes Alan you're right - Fall #2 is perfectly sharp on Flickr... must just be my eyes and the smaller size on here. Re: the aerial, as Allan says, it's not really worth fretting about. However, a 5 second lasso and content-aware fill of the very top bit of aerial would fix it by replacing that with sky so it does look as if it stops short of the frame :)

Yes Alan you're right - Fall #2 is perfectly sharp on Flickr... must just be my eyes and the smaller size on here. Re: the aerial, as Allan says, it's not really worth fretting about. However, a 5 second lasso and content-aware fill of the very top bit of aerial would fix it by replacing that with sky so it does look as if it stops short of the frame :)
Oooh .. thank you - might try that - but 5 secs is a bit short for me - takes me that much time to find the tool

Hi Alan ..yes ...good to see you back...I think the second fall shot is absolutely stunning, I love it, it makes you feel as if you're about to be swept over the edge.

Communicate .... I really like the last one ...but I do agree, I hope we haven't lost the art of conversation. An excellent choice for the theme.

Dark ...the raindrops ...the rose ...they all combine to make a very thoughtful image.

Big ...another super one, I really like the aspect looking out over the city.

That first waterfall is A-MAZE-ING. love the massive plume of spray coming up from it, and the boat doesn't instantly jump out at you, but when it does, you get a real indication as to how blimmin large it is. And cropped to the perfect ratio to really fill my screen. :)

Fab shots for cummunicate, #2 for me with the apple logos prominent, and i love the "camera sat on table" POV here. Can't almost believe the third there, with them all lined up on that right wall with their laptops, apple logo's (again) shining bright. crazy world.

Dark, a suitable capture of a very sombre memorial, raindrops and the rose making it even more so. Sadly, perfectly on theme too.

Big - didn;t think you;d struglle with this theme. :D, Great view, glad to see you weren;t afraid to really push the ISO there, you needed to as I presume tripods are frowned upon, touch of vertical perspective distortion there which I can;t decide if I like or not, It added to the feeling of height, and correcting it robs some of the view (and gives another aerial / edge of frame issue). WOnder if going to 18mm would have given some leeway here. But that's only the opinion of someone looking at it as a picture, not as a memory of being there. And as such, in the lovely evening light, with the windows probably lighting up before your eyes, it must have been a pretty magical memory.

Bet you're glad to be back. :naughty: . :exit:

That first waterfall is A-MAZE-ING. love the massive plume of spray coming up from it, and the boat doesn't instantly jump out at you, but when it does, you get a real indication as to how blimmin large it is. And cropped to the perfect ratio to really fill my screen. :)

Fab shots for cummunicate, #2 for me with the apple logos prominent, and i love the "camera sat on table" POV here. Can't almost believe the third there, with them all lined up on that right wall with their laptops, apple logo's (again) shining bright. crazy world.

Dark, a suitable capture of a very sombre memorial, raindrops and the rose making it even more so. Sadly, perfectly on theme too.

Big - didn;t think you;d struglle with this theme. :D, Great view, glad to see you weren;t afraid to really push the ISO there, you needed to as I presume tripods are frowned upon, touch of vertical perspective distortion there which I can;t decide if I like or not, It added to the feeling of height, and correcting it robs some of the view (and gives another aerial / edge of frame issue). WOnder if going to 18mm would have given some leeway here. But that's only the opinion of someone looking at it as a picture, not as a memory of being there. And as such, in the lovely evening light, with the windows probably lighting up before your eyes, it must have been a pretty magical memory.

Bet you're glad to be back. :naughty: . :exit:

Thanks Graham

Niagara is a grand sight I must say.

Big is taken from the top of the Rockefeller Centre. The sun promised a real sight as we waited on top for about 45 minutes (even the official Rock photographers were prophesying a great sunset) but just before what would have been the real highlight, a bank of grey clouds obscured it. So i was pleased to get this. No tripods or monopods allowed - altho that did not stop the di...heads who have adopted the iPhone on a stick to get selfies - what an abomination that is.
As to your suggestion re the angle , here is one taken at 16mm on a diff camera about 45 minutes earlier https://www.flickr.com/photos/92478278@N04/14935557043/

Definitely magical memories being there with all our (small ) family.

And, well, it is ok to be home - just means we can look forward to other trips, hopefully. Hamburg next weekend. :rolleyes:

Hi, time is short, I'm afraid...:(

Hi, Fall #1 for me, the sense if scale is great as is the mist in the centre.

Community #2 is a cracker. All 4 are in their own little worlds and seemingly isolated from people sitting a few inches away from each other.

Dark, not an easy one to comment on. I liken the rose in the centre, the water droplets and the detail in the text. Thanks for posting and reminding me of the sadness of the day.

Big, cracker, I was really drawn to the lower building on the RH third, lovely detail and colour.

Good show.

Cheers.

Interesting selection here Alan.

FALL#2 ... has real wow factor. The sharp focus on the FG gives you that feeling of being there ... about to go over the edge. :eek:

And DARK ... in agreement with Paul and Allan ... brilliantly done.

Last edited:
Rich: yup the angle on this makes this one a little different. Like everyone else, I like the diaganol shaft of light and faint coin reflections. I like too how the height varies on all of the individual stacks. Overall a crisp and clean picture too (y)

Skill: The mono and vignette do works well with the 40's vintage setting. Anyone whos chopped wood like this will know theres some skill involved, and the bloke looks to be taking it suitably seriously. As mentioned just a little cloning required top right.

Half: Works for me. I like the shallow dof and how you've placed both pieces on intersecting 3d lines. Front subject is razor sharp and the colours nicely portrayed. Looks to be 'floating' a little but guess thats just a symptom of a black background.

Architecture: Beautiful house! reminds me of a big old colonial american farmhouse. technically faultless and like how the trees to the left and right provide some framing, helping to focus attention firmly on the house.

Promise: The Low POV works well to reinforce the huge sacrafice made.

to be continued

Hi Alan,

Super set of shots from your holiday...only a little bit green eyed :)

Fall...#2 for me..... the clarity of the water is superb ,looks like I could reach in & touch it :clap:

Big...another corker , hope you're getting that framed ( after cloning the aerial top :exit:):clap::clap:

Dark....a very emotive shot of one of those events that's etched in the minds of many round the world as well as those directly affected...beautiful :clap:

Communicate...think it's the 2nd one for me.....love the mother trying to talk to the daughter...& you're right , Friends could never be made today !

Wow, marathon catch up there Alan! My favourite of them all has to be Fall #2 - great composition, angle and sense of movement and I like the swirling mist rising up on the LH side. I can almost hear the roar of the water!

Really love the sense of irony in Communicate #2! Everyone lost in their own private world of electronic communication and totally ignoring each other :rolleyes:

Hey Alan :)

Looks like you had a great time..... and have done a good catch-up

Fall - A couple of great shots, I'm preferring the fist shot with the boats, wow that sure shows the scale of the falls, liking the colour and the foreground water and implied curve in the second :)

Communicate - A good spot mate, a good mix of old and new, nice angle and really liking the colours too :)

Liking your shots of the coffee shops, you aint kidding about conversation, I too am guilty in popping in a Starbucks and grabbing a coffee and doing emails on the wi-fi, a real sign of the times !!!

Dark - Liking your take on this, but not sure if the placement of the rose is too central, though I see the text has limited your positioning you had little choice, I really do though like the straight on shot, the rain drops and sense of coldness, that place really is a sobering experience, real nice shot :)

Big - Now there is a view i Love, Jealous that you got a twilight shot, our timing was never good enough when we went, great colours of the lights, it really helps show the magnitude of Manhattan - Perfect for the theme :clap:

Hi, time is short, I'm afraid...:(

Hi, Fall #1 for me, the sense if scale is great as is the mist in the centre.

Community #2 is a cracker. All 4 are in their own little worlds and seemingly isolated from people sitting a few inches away from each other.

Dark, not an easy one to comment on. I liken the rose in the centre, the water droplets and the detail in the text. Thanks for posting and reminding me of the sadness of the day.

Big, cracker, I was really drawn to the lower building on the RH third, lovely detail and colour.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Quite a productive holiday for the 52. That 9/11 memorial is a must see for anyone going to NY. What I had forgotten was that over 400 police and firefighters died in the event.

Interesting selection here Alan.

FALL#2 ... has real wow factor. The sharp focus on the FG gives you that feeling of being there ... about to go over the edge. :eek:

And DARK ... in agreement with Paul and Allan ... brilliantly done.

Thanks David

Rich: yup the angle on this makes this one a little different. Like everyone else, I like the diaganol shaft of light and faint coin reflections. I like too how the height varies on all of the individual stacks. Overall a crisp and clean picture too (y)

Skill: The mono and vignette do works well with the 40's vintage setting. Anyone whos chopped wood like this will know theres some skill involved, and the bloke looks to be taking it suitably seriously. As mentioned just a little cloning required top right.

Half: Works for me. I like the shallow dof and how you've placed both pieces on intersecting 3d lines. Front subject is razor sharp and the colours nicely portrayed. Looks to be 'floating' a little but guess thats just a symptom of a black background.

Architecture: Beautiful house! reminds me of a big old colonial american farmhouse. technically faultless and like how the trees to the left and right provide some framing, helping to focus attention firmly on the house.

Promise: The Low POV works well to reinforce the huge sacrafice made.

to be continued

Thanks Jason . i am pleased about your comments on the trees framing the house - most people call for the chain saw in those circumstances

Hi Alan,

Super set of shots from your holiday...only a little bit green eyed :)

Fall...#2 for me..... the clarity of the water is superb ,looks like I could reach in & touch it :clap:

Big...another corker , hope you're getting that framed ( after cloning the aerial top :exit:):clap::clap:

Dark....a very emotive shot of one of those events that's etched in the minds of many round the world as well as those directly affected...beautiful :clap:

Communicate...think it's the 2nd one for me.....love the mother trying to talk to the daughter...& you're right , Friends could never be made today !

Thanks Lynne. First time outside of this continent for me and Mrs SP (apart from a day trip to Africa :)). Thoroughly enjoyable

Wow, marathon catch up there Alan! My favourite of them all has to be Fall #2 - great composition, angle and sense of movement and I like the swirling mist rising up on the LH side. I can almost hear the roar of the water!

Really love the sense of irony in Communicate #2! Everyone lost in their own private world of electronic communication and totally ignoring each other :rolleyes:

Thanks Elaine. It surprised us how close one gets to the water at Niagara

Hey Alan :)

Looks like you had a great time..... and have done a good catch-up

Fall - A couple of great shots, I'm preferring the fist shot with the boats, wow that sure shows the scale of the falls, liking the colour and the foreground water and implied curve in the second :)

Communicate - A good spot mate, a good mix of old and new, nice angle and really liking the colours too :)

Liking your shots of the coffee shops, you aint kidding about conversation, I too am guilty in popping in a Starbucks and grabbing a coffee and doing emails on the wi-fi, a real sign of the times !!!

Dark - Liking your take on this, but not sure if the placement of the rose is too central, though I see the text has limited your positioning you had little choice, I really do though like the straight on shot, the rain drops and sense of coldness, that place really is a sobering experience, real nice shot :)

Big - Now there is a view i Love, Jealous that you got a twilight shot, our timing was never good enough when we went, great colours of the lights, it really helps show the magnitude of Manhattan - Perfect for the theme :clap:

Thanks for the kind words DK. Centralisation of the rose was almost inevitable because of the angle of the metal displays, the randomness of the roses and the positions of the 'joins' between the lengths of metal. i have a few more but this was the best, partic as we were fortunate (!) to have some rain that day and this enhanced the feeling of sadness at the memorial - and this was one of the few roses that had not had someone wiping their hand along the metal to remove the water drops.

Hi Alan, satisfies the theme from two angles, I suppose canals like railways would be referred to as cuttings being man made,
you could probably cut an inch off the bottom, but over all works well for me as it is (y)

Hi Alan, satisfies the theme from two angles, I suppose canals like railways would be referred to as cuttings being man made,
you could probably cut an inch off the bottom, but over all works well for me as it is (y)
Thanks Allan.
Tried a few crops but this was the best I thought. Not entirely happy with the shot in terms of impact, but fits the bill and quite a pleasant scene. That's what lots of people do in and around the Alster in Hamburg on a Sunday morning.

Cut, I thought it was cut through the water :)

Not an easy one to frame, IMO, I want it a little closer but you'd loose the surroundings.

Cheers.

Sparkle: That really is fantanstic. The varied rich tones marry together with vibrant sprakles so well to create a picture (or illusion) which borders on sensory overload (in a good way). Really impressive use of creative eye and camera to create this piece of art. :clap:

Big: I have always been a 'big' fan of cityscapes and this one does'nt disappoint. So much detail, shape and depth to see. Good job there Alan (y)

Cut: Works for me and looks super sharp in flickr. Really like the canoeist reflections and the fact that we can see up through the arched bridge toward their ultimate destination. Lighting is of course spot on - highlighting them perfectly.

Cut .... is pretty. Canoeist reflections are fantastic.

Hi Alan

pleasant way to spend a sunny sunday morning...oars cutting through the water was my initial thought on 1st seeing your image ...apart from wanting to slice a wedge off the bottom to bring the boat closer I've not other crit (y)

Nice shot Alan, as others have said, perhaps a tightening of the framing but otherwise it's good. Difficult lighting to get much more drama out of things - looks like it was pretty overcast / flat? If you fancied an early rise, you might be able to get the rowers out at sunrise :)

Good opportunistic capture there Alan, and fits the theme plenty well enough. Like the inclusion of the bridge around the curve of the river lending some depth and a place for the boat to go to.

Hiya Alan,

Big is superb, I could spend ages on flickr looking at the original size, the detail on the roof tops, bridge, river :clap:.....got to be one for a print (y).....but I'd clone a bit off the top of that 'aerial thingy' so it looked like it finished in frame .........:thinking: .....instead of right on the edge of the frame :p :D

Cutting, yep, works for me, good composition with the bridge, (y)........I might have been tempted to take one just as they were going under the bridge too :)

Cut, I thought it was cut through the water :)

Not an easy one to frame, IMO, I want it a little closer but you'd loose the surroundings.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - comp and crop were to give the wider scene but edit below

Sparkle: That really is fantanstic. The varied rich tones marry together with vibrant sprakles so well to create a picture (or illusion) which borders on sensory overload (in a good way). Really impressive use of creative eye and camera to create this piece of art. :clap:

Big: I have always been a 'big' fan of cityscapes and this one does'nt disappoint. So much detail, shape and depth to see. Good job there Alan (y)

Cut: Works for me and looks super sharp in flickr. Really like the canoeist reflections and the fact that we can see up through the arched bridge toward their ultimate destination. Lighting is of course spot on - highlighting them perfectly.

Thanks Jason. very kind omments.

Cut .... is pretty. Canoeist reflections are fantastic.

Thanks David

Hi Alan

pleasant way to spend a sunny sunday morning...oars cutting through the water was my initial thought on 1st seeing your image ...apart from wanting to slice a wedge off the bottom to bring the boat closer I've not other crit (y)

Cheers Lynne- it was a lovely Sunday morning walk

Hi Alan :)

Cut - I think I'd like to see cropped in on the boat a bit more too even though it is sat on the 3rds already, it's a nice bright colour and could be made real punchy :)

Cheers DK. edit below

Nice shot Alan, as others have said, perhaps a tightening of the framing but otherwise it's good. Difficult lighting to get much more drama out of things - looks like it was pretty overcast / flat? If you fancied an early rise, you might be able to get the rowers out at sunrise :)

Ta Paul. Light was cloudy bright- warm for a walk but flat for photos. Early rise is for cockrels. Altho I see from your flickr you are up mountains at first light:eek: I must try that Snowdon train next year:)

Good opportunistic capture there Alan, and fits the theme plenty well enough. Like the inclusion of the bridge around the curve of the river lending some depth and a place for the boat to go to.

Thx Graham

A really nice scene there Alan...super reflections, my first thought was the oars cutting through the water, so bang on theme for me ...an excellent original idea.

Thx Susie

Hiya Alan,

Big is superb, I could spend ages on flickr looking at the original size, the detail on the roof tops, bridge, river :clap:.....got to be one for a print (y).....but I'd clone a bit off the top of that 'aerial thingy' so it looked like it finished in frame .........:thinking: .....instead of right on the edge of the frame :p :D

Cutting, yep, works for me, good composition with the bridge, (y)........I might have been tempted to take one just as they were going under the bridge too :)

Thx Phil. Point re aerial well made - will edit when I have time.
Cut - I did take a shot of boat going under bridge and it looks fine except that thee boat is end on and a little lost. Perhaps if it had been an 8 rather than a 4 then it would have looked better under the bridge

Really liking balance Alan, saw that ball last year didn't we. Can't remember when though, reflection would be a good guess!

Is it stood atop a pole and you've given it the impression of being balanced on the wall? Great job. :) also like the sky reflected in the ball and the fact the actual sky is quite plain. The slight angle on the sea wall and the seaweed covered giant concrete 'nuts' add interest to the bottom half. :clap:

Liking the RHS of change with the cranes and wind turbine, not getting much from the boat but suppose it serves as a nice balance to the right side. :thinking:

Balance, I'm sure I've been there. Where is it? Really well composed and the balance is bank on. I like how the sphere compliments the circles in the wave break thingys :)

Change, interesting take. Not immediately obvious it's being refitted but it's a belting boat.

Cheers.

Hi Alan, nice angle you have on "balance" really does look like its balancing, those hexagonal sea breaks look interesting too

I see what you are getting at with "change" the cranes fit really well with the ship, though unfortunately there is little evidence of a refit going on but as its in dock there must be.
nice B+W conversion nice range of tones in there
The bear is great I wonder why its up there :thinking:

Hi Alan what a great shot for balance ... smashing reflection of the sky in the sphere, it looks like a miniature planet ... I also really like the breakwater, lots of interesting texture and colours in there.

B&W is the perfect for Change ....it seems to add another dimension to the shot .... love all those towering cranes on the right, I really like this one.

Really liking balance Alan, saw that ball last year didn't we. Can't remember when though, reflection would be a good guess!

Is it stood atop a pole and you've given it the impression of being balanced on the wall? Great job. :) also like the sky reflected in the ball and the fact the actual sky is quite plain. The slight angle on the sea wall and the seaweed covered giant concrete 'nuts' add interest to the bottom half. :clap:

Liking the RHS of change with the cranes and wind turbine, not getting much from the boat but suppose it serves as a nice balance to the right side. :thinking:

Thanks Graham. You are right about the glitter ball being on a pole on the prom. i have taken quite a few of it from different positions and you will have seen it last year as part of that head scratching 'Juxtaposition' :eek: Many shots are taken from the prom but this one is from the beach and I have to wait for low tide (only once a day in daylight) and hope for a good sky.

Balance, I'm sure I've been there. Where is it? Really well composed and the balance is bank on. I like how the sphere compliments the circles in the wave break thingys :)

Change, interesting take. Not immediately obvious it's being refitted but it's a belting boat.

Cheers.

Thx Andy - Blackpool prom - and you have indeed seen it because you have posted a shot of it.

Hi Alan, nice angle you have on "balance" really does look like its balancing, those hexagonal sea breaks look interesting too

I see what you are getting at with "change" the cranes fit really well with the ship, though unfortunately there is little evidence of a refit going on but as its in dock there must be.
nice B+W conversion nice range of tones in there
The bear is great I wonder why its up there :thinking:

Thx Allan - i am pleased with Balance as it is not a shot that can be replicated at just any time. i knew what I wanted but had to wait for weather and tide. I had another shot the other way with the Big One in the b/g., and so Mrs SP and I had a vote on which was best. It was 1 -1 and she used her casting vote :whistle:

Still don't know about the bear tho.

Hi Alan what a great shot for balance ... smashing reflection of the sky in the sphere, it looks like a miniature planet ... I also really like the breakwater, lots of interesting texture and colours in there.

B&W is the perfect for Change ....it seems to add another dimension to the shot .... love all those towering cranes on the right, I really like this one.

Thanks Susie for the kind comments.

Back