weekly susiejb 52 /2014 Support

Hi Susie, what a fantastic idea ;)
I like that you have included a few of them more in their natural habitat than mine
not sure about the clipped petals in the other two daisies

Hi Susie, what a fantastic idea ;)
I like that you have included a few of them more in their natural habitat than mine
not sure about the clipped petals in the other two daisies

:) Brilliant wasn' t it.....I cheated on the habitat, I pulled them up and took them in the house on a piece of blue paper. I wanted a lot more but my OH had mowed the lawn so I couldn't find many. I added clouds and water to this one

13909963298_b7c56be738_z.jpg

I prefer the second one, the first was only spoilt by the clipping of the petals at the top although I think a square crop would have worked very well.

Hi Susie, my vote would go to your first daisy image. Lovely vibrant colours and the flowers are more defined. I feel your second image is a little less defined in terms of the ends of the petals appear a little lost.
i do like the cross processed feel to it though, so maybe a little something from each image? :)

Fresh - good idea for the theme and good use off the raynox 250 as well can be a tricky tool to use.

Hi Mandy...thanks for looking...yes that Raynox can be tricky on the point of focus, to get it spot on.

I prefer the second one, the first was only spoilt by the clipping of the petals at the top although I think a square crop would have worked very well.

Hi Mark...yes that was annoying, if I kept all the image in I lost the focal point ...I did do one with just the main daisy but didn't want to load my thread too much with pics!

Hi Susie, my vote would go to your first daisy image. Lovely vibrant colours and the flowers are more defined. I feel your second image is a little less defined in terms of the ends of the petals appear a little lost.
i do like the cross processed feel to it though, so maybe a little something from each image? :)

Hi Iain ...thanks for looking, much appreciated, yes that's often the case isn't it,a little bit of each would be just right !

Nice idea, i like! Especially the cheating bit. :D

:D Thanks David.

Hi Susie,
I like your first shot too, even if you did cheat ;)

It's creative licence Judi....well that's what I call it anyway :) thanks for popping in.

Like your 1st daisy shot Susie (y) Focus and dof look good :) .I bough a raynox 250, haven't got round to using it much tbh, but as Mandy said, they can be tricky with the very shallow dof. If anything, I also noticed the clipped petals on the two in the bg :)

The Gunnera leaves are interesting , my first thought was they look a bit like giant rhubarb :thinking: the light shining through them makes for a great image (y)

I too have one of those raynox extensions ... not had much luck with it so far. Must try harder.

First daisy shot ... (y)

I really like the arty edited daisy with the clouds susie, great work there.

and those giant leaves, beautifully backlit by the sun work super well.

Good week, :clap:

Hi
I like the Gunnera too cool stuff isn't it :)

Link fixed, I hope, thanks :)

Thanks Judi ...we have some by our pond and I love it.

Fresh, works for me. I like processing, especially the coolness. Minor point would be the clipped petals at the top.

Cheers.

Thanks for looking Andy .... yes, those clipped leaves are annoying :(

Fresh - your last image works for me lots of interest, colours and good detail :)

Thanks for popping in Craig, glad you liked it :)

Susie, great shot very sharp and well composed. No crit from me.

Thanks Richard :) ...that's encouraging and much appreciated.

Like your 1st daisy shot Susie (y) Focus and dof look good :) .I bough a raynox 250, haven't got round to using it much tbh, but as Mandy said, they can be tricky with the very shallow dof. If anything, I also noticed the clipped petals on the two in the bg :)

The Gunnera leaves are interesting , my first thought was they look a bit like giant rhubarb :thinking: the light shining through them makes for a great image (y)

Hi Phil, thanks for looking and for the comments ...the Raynox is a bit 'tight' on the focusing isn't it, you either need a very steady hand or your tripod. The Gunnera leaves really did look stunning in the sunshine...one of those ...'you had to be there to see it at it's best' moments :)

I too have one of those raynox extensions ... not had much luck with it so far. Must try harder.

First daisy shot ... (y)

Right, I shall be looking out for a shot where you use it d00d :cool: glad you liked the daisy...I did look at it again afterwards and could see room for improvement BUT that's why I am here, to constantly look and learn :)

Loads of detail on that! Top notch. Nice to have more than a single daisy in the frame too. Great colours too.

Thank you Simon for looking ...much appreciate you comments :)

I really like the arty edited daisy with the clouds susie, great work there.

and those giant leaves, beautifully backlit by the sun work super well.

Good week, :clap:

Thank you Graham.... I really appreciate that. I do really enjoy the editing part of things, I will spend ages just fiddling around with an image, I've not used the clouds one before so that was something new.

I like your first daisy shot, Susie, altho the clipping and the browny leaf at rear detract a bit. The second has interesting processing and good ethereal colours but the petals a re a little lost - lots of potential in that shot tho.
The green stuff has good defining light

Hi Alan...yes you are right ...there were things that could have been better, I really must take time to LOOK before posting (how many times have I said that :)) I do appreciate that you took the time to look and comment.

Blimey Susie - Sorry, MILES behind on your shots :coat:

Action - 3 very different images, I'm liking the 2nd one myself, a VERY brave lad with the look of that water, a great action shot and a great expression captured :)

Mono - Now they are weird, very odd, I'm preferring the first too, the lighting is very effective and has me looking for all the folds and angles :)

Reflection shot again nice detail, dead smooth water too - Great effort for the multiple images too, not tried them myself, looks good fun !!!

Twisted - I like your first one best, I'd be tempted to crop the RH and Bottom off and concentrate the image on the very twisty bit, with that background I think it would work really well :)

Fresh - The classic daisy, I like how you have grouped these, the blue background suits well, spot on DoF and detail on the prominent flower too (y)

Apologies again for getting so far behind on your images... and the brief catch up

Hi Susie. I prefer the composition of the first daisy shot, but I do like the addition of the cloudy sky in the second one. Thanks for the gunnera shot. I saw some of that on a walk last week and wondered what it was - in my mind it was just some random rhubarb-like greenery, so it's nice to put a name to it and lovely fresh shades of green too :)

Blimey Susie - Sorry, MILES behind on your shots :coat:

Thanks DK, it's difficult to keep up with the threads sometimes isn't it, but thanks for taking the time to look and for the encouragement in the comments :)

Hi Susie. I prefer the composition of the first daisy shot, but I do like the addition of the cloudy sky in the second one. Thanks for the gunnera shot. I saw some of that on a walk last week and wondered what it was - in my mind it was just some random rhubarb-like greenery, so it's nice to put a name to it and lovely fresh shades of green too :)

Thanks for looking Elaine....I enjoyed doing the daisy shots....we have some Gunnera around our pond, so I am used to seeing it...it's fascinating stuff...you can almost watch it grow.

Hi Alan...yes you are right ...there were things that could have been better, I really must take time to LOOK before posting (how many times have I said that :)) I do appreciate that you took the time to look and comment.

If there is one lesson that I have learned from participating in these Challenges for two and half years, it is to take the time to get the details right. :banghead: I still fail at times and invariably someone points out something that should have been obvious to me and would have improved the shot. A good reason for being in the Challenge - one becomes more critical (in a positive way) of one's own shots (y)

Thanks Alan for the above comment, much appreciated feedback.

As I have been experimenting this week with water droplets I decided to use this as my take on SHAPE, I think I am probably trying to achieve too much without having the proper equipment, I have read that it's better to have a separate flash when taking water drops, but I have enjoyed the experimenting, and have discovered more about my camera, so that's good. I have also used some of the images to create some abstract type pics ... which I know aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I like them, and they do fit in well with the theme.

I put a sunglow on this one to add a bit of interest:

14181735623_2925a2a260_b.jpg

I didn't catch the water drop on this one but I liked the shape of the splash o_O :)

14192326305_c76631d68f_c.jpg

Just water:

14121147566_f17b79e429_c.jpg

And milk with a dash of marbling ink !

14161751754_74c93ba027_c.jpg

Last edited:
All very good susie...

thinking my least fave is the milky one, could work with a crop off the bottom and a bit of the left as the darker section distracts from the column and the drops.

Just water is cool, great colour and the drop hovering in the black really works.

And I also like the splash, again great colour and movement, with teh black top right, really draws the eye to the splash itself. :clap:

Excellent stuff susie :clap:

I love the splash one, looks like shards of coloured glass ... or something.

Love your attempts for shape the just water one really catches my eye

Hi Mandy ...thank you for taking the time to look ...very much appreciated.

All very good susie...

thinking my least fave is the milky one, could work with a crop off the bottom and a bit of the left as the darker section distracts from the column and the drops.

Just water is cool, great colour and the drop hovering in the black really works.

And I also like the splash, again great colour and movement, with teh black top right, really draws the eye to the splash itself. :clap:

Thanks Graham....you are right about the milk one...I will crop it and change it if I can...black does seem to work well for the water drops....and I'm glad you liked the splash...I hesitated to put it on, but I like it, so I just thought 'go for it ' :)

Excellent stuff susie :clap:

I love the splash one, looks like shards of coloured glass ... or something.

Hey d00d...thank you for looking in :) another vote for the splash...extra glad I added it now ...this was the original...a bit bland !! I was really surprised by just how much lovely detail I discovered as I edited it.

14012694069_b9177793fb_m.jpg

Last edited:
Oooo real good shape shots Susie, plenty of variety, really like the splash too, I'd like to add some crit but to me they look really good, well lit and liking the colours etc you have added... so spot on from me (y)

Thank you DK ...much appreciated encouragement there :)

Shape - Hi Susi I have tried water shots myself and without the proper kit its hard you have done well here

well done

Thanks for looking Craig, it did take a lot of mistakes to get a few right !!

Hi Susie,
I haven't done any water drops yet, very impressed, the milky one is no 1 for me :)

Thanks Judi ...the milk is more viscous (sp) so in a way it's easier but the colour can tend to be a bit bland.

Hi Susie, your water droplets for shape are great (y) love the warm glow from the first, focus looks spot on the single droplet, I've yet to try having a go at these, but they're on mi to do list :)

Number- Yep, there's no escape from there, again I like the warm of the first, think the detail looks good too, great shot Susie (y)

yeah two great shots there.... really shallow DOF, but as the subject is so small it manages to get all of it in, as well as a good number of droplets in the first.

And the second the bokeh from the OOF droplets creates a lovely image, possibly spolied by the dead fly in each of these, but I see your interpretation of the theme.

Great colours and focus in both though. :clap:

Number 1 is a cracking shot Susie! The background suits it perfectly and having the odd droplet in focus as well as the fly has really made it. (y)

Hi Susie, your water droplets for shape are great (y) love the warm glow from the first, focus looks spot on the single droplet, I've yet to try having a go at these, but they're on mi to do list :)

Number- Yep, there's no escape from there, again I like the warm of the first, think the detail looks good too, great shot Susie (y)

Thanks for looking Phil .... I really like doing the water drops but it does take a lot of patience, glad you liked my Numbers pic :)

yeah two great shots there.... really shallow DOF, but as the subject is so small it manages to get all of it in, as well as a good number of droplets in the first.

And the second the bokeh from the OOF droplets creates a lovely image, possibly spolied by the dead fly in each of these, but I see your interpretation of the theme.

Great colours and focus in both though. :clap:

Hi Graham .... thank you for looking, I do appreciate your comments :) Yes, the dead fly is a bit grim isn't it, I was amazed when I started to look closely how many tiny creatures were trapped, it was hard to decide which ones to put on my thread, I have some 'spare shots' which I will post in the main macro thread.

Number 1 is a cracking shot Susie! The background suits it perfectly and having the odd droplet in focus as well as the fly has really made it. (y)

Thank you for looking Adam, I much appreciate the encouragement, that fly was so tiny I could hardly see it, I was amazed how much detail there was in it when I got in close.

Back