weekly Tango 32's 2014 52 challenge Week 39 -44 added

Hey Craig :)

Dream - A good idea indeed, sorry but for me it's the black halo/outline with no stars that drops the idea down fore me, a good try at cloning but think suspending it in front of the actual card may have given better results - but photo in and move on (y)

Vertical - Again a good idea and nothing wrong with taking inspiration from others, in fact it helps a stuck mind greatly at times... as for the image, you have mentioned the background but would like to add, not so sure on the focus, I think a deeper DoF to capture them all sharply would help... it works theme wise for me and the focus on the centre fly thing is bang on (y)

Yum - Chicken Feet... Nice :LOL:

A great capture, not the prettiest of backgrounds but a natural/home setting so doesn't bother me too much, fantastic focus on her eyes and detail of her head/fur, what a beautiful girl and a flattering photo (y)

Lovely dog Craig, great focus and light on the dog, in particular the crystal clear eye... background as such not a problem, apart from teh shadow from the ear!

Was this Off camera flash? Or some other strong light source from your left? If it was flash, some sort of diffuser or small softbox might have helped? (Something I need to get for myself too!!) :)

Otherwise, you're left with having to clone it out.. Possible, but tricky. (Couldn;t help myself.. >> see here <<) :) (Think I also upped the exposure a tiny tiny tad, and added a slight vignette).

HI Craig

Yum.......perfect focus on your beautiful girl....love those blue eye's........shame about the background...maybe try somewhere less cluttered ?

Vertical........pretty colors in the fly's(?) contrasts well against the blue background :) I suspect the lighter area would clone out fairly easily.......positioning could be a smidge better.....top of the line coming in from the top rh corner >

Lynne trying to get the little madam to stay still for more than 30 seconds when I have a camera in my hand

they are sea fishing jigs used for wreck fishing

Craig... I'll be brief! Vertical is a nice idea but I'm a bit put off as well by the change in background colour? I think the lures would be stronger if they all faced the same way, but that may be difficult.

Yum - I'd probably prefer less DOF to draw you in to the head. I also think a cleaner background would really make the photo. But a good shot of a lovely dog.

Thanks Paul - I agree :)

Lovely dog Craig, great focus and light on the dog, in particular the crystal clear eye... background as such not a problem, apart from teh shadow from the ear!

Was this Off camera flash? Or some other strong light source from your left? If it was flash, some sort of diffuser or small softbox might have helped? (Something I need to get for myself too!!) :)

Otherwise, you're left with having to clone it out.. Possible, but tricky. (Couldn;t help myself.. >> see here <<) :) (Think I also upped the exposure a tiny tiny tad, and added a slight vignette).

Hello mate, no this was the on camera flash I keep meaning to buy different bits but always seem to have some thing else pop up I using a canon 450d with the standard issue lens, I aslo treated myself to a70-300 lens a few years back but do need to treat myself more

I like the edit you did how did you achieve this? I been having problems with cloning again where most of the shot goes well then I get an srea that goes all confuzzled.

Hey Craig :)

Dream - A good idea indeed, sorry but for me it's the black halo/outline with no stars that drops the idea down fore me, a good try at cloning but think suspending it in front of the actual card may have given better results - but photo in and move on (y)

Vertical - Again a good idea and nothing wrong with taking inspiration from others, in fact it helps a stuck mind greatly at times... as for the image, you have mentioned the background but would like to add, not so sure on the focus, I think a deeper DoF to capture them all sharply would help... it works theme wise for me and the focus on the centre fly thing is bang on (y)

Yum - Chicken Feet... Nice :LOL:

A great capture, not the prettiest of backgrounds but a natural/home setting so doesn't bother me too much, fantastic focus on her eyes and detail of her head/fur, what a beautiful girl and a flattering photo (y)

Cheers Dk, to be honest not be able to put the time in I would like lately so the time going into the shots have suffered but the decorating is now finished so things should get back to normal :)

Week 27 Loud

Set her up on the garden, cleaned her, started her up , a photographed away, the sun was a pain but any other angle and back round would have been a lot worse than what I got now, I do wish I had taken the bike else where for the photo but I wanted to get some motion in the back wheel to give the bike a running motion so the paddock stands had to come out.

loud by Craigw1978, on Flickr

Loud: Oohh la la......thats a nice little toy you have there (y) A nice pic of her and especially like the startburt in the wing mirror. For me, Im not sure the motion in the back wheel adds anything to the shot?

As you've said, would be nice to see this pic perhaps taken in a more scenic landscape type location, perhaps at dusk with a spot of light painting...

in spite of the above, you've done a solid job.......though more importantly, have fun, enjoy and be safe (y)

Hi, withthe above comments on this BG not the best, wheel spinning is adding nothing as its on a stand, as you say yourself a better location would have made the pic

As you say Craig, certainly needed a different setting, sun burst's good (y) as mentioned by Jason, nice bike, I thought you were running slicks for a second! :eek: :D

I like the edit you did how did you achieve this? I been having problems with cloning again where most of the shot goes well then I get an srea that goes all confuzzled.

Cheers Craig, start by duplicating the layer :), then I think I cloned across some of the cupboard to the right of the ear, used lighten blend mode for the clone tool (this only replaces ares that are darker than the sample area). I don;t worry about going over bits I want to keep (like the ear) as I can bring those back with a layer mask later.

I might have then cloned from the higher up part of the door, bringing that down to continue the darker vertical line. Once I have the shadow covered, merge any layers I've created together, add a mask, and paint on the mask to bring back the ear below.

I left a line of the shadow to the right of the eye, as to try and make that light, like the doors would be hard as well as retaining the detail of the fur.

After this I did apply a very slight (2 pixel maybe) blur layer and then painted this off the dog to soften the BG and blend any areas of cloning too.

Sounds more work when you type it out, but using keyboard shortcuts and the scroll wheel on the mouse you can whizz about fairly quickly... (No graphics tablet here). I don;t like suggesting something be cloned out unless I'm sure it can be done, sometimes the only way to know is to try. Start small and work up.

And Loud, I'm sure it is, but I don;t think the image brings that across. tbh the spinning rear wheel is lost at first (and probably second) look. The cluttered BG doesn't help. What about a closer shot more on the exhaust pipe, which would probably give you the body of the bike as most of the BG. Dunno? :)

Last edited:
Loud now that's a very nice bike, well exposed the Reds look really, nice somewhere else will be better, but good motion blur in the wheel.

Cheers

Echo the other comments: nice shot but shame about BG. I quite like the motion of the rear wheel - I like finding things in the picture which are not obvious to spot. Burst is nice but quite dominant. Colours well saturated...

I suspect it is loud!

Hi ya

oooh...got love a bike shot...I trackday'd one of those for a year...oodles of fun & as you say.....LOUD !! I'm kinda thinking a head on shot showing the vents in the front fairing might also have worked & meant you lost a lot of the bg by getting close in...then again maybe only a biker would have understood that type of shot ?

Hi Craig

Wild - nice crow - good colours and sky.(y) agree with others re the crop off the right to the point of the branch
dream - quite dark and could do with RHS crop to make it less central. Good idea for the stars.
Vertical - on theme for me subject to points of others re the position of the line, the LH fish and the b/g
Yum - good pov and focus - looks a little lifeless to me prob cos of the OCF
Loud - certainly looks it(y) - same comments re b/g and wheel

Dream - Nicely lit from the left but I feel a little fill in or a reflector from the right would just help a little. The glittery surface adds interest

Vertical - Very similar in a way to Posiview's shot for this theme. The lures are nice and bright

Yum - Super eyes but an improvement to the background would have helped.

Loud - Another one where a better background would have really helped. The starburst is a nice addition though

Loud: Oohh la la......thats a nice little toy you have there (y) A nice pic of her and especially like the startburt in the wing mirror. For me, Im not sure the motion in the back wheel adds anything to the shot?

As you've said, would be nice to see this pic perhaps taken in a more scenic landscape type location, perhaps at dusk with a spot of light painting...

in spite of the above, you've done a solid job.......though more importantly, have fun, enjoy and be safe (y)

Cheers Jason my thinking was for it to be loud it had to be running, the only way i could think of showing that was the back wheel in motion

Cheers Craig, start by duplicating the layer :), then I think I cloned across some of the cupboard to the right of the ear, used lighten blend mode for the clone tool (this only replaces ares that are darker than the sample area). I don;t worry about going over bits I want to keep (like the ear) as I can bring those back with a layer mask later.

I might have then cloned from the higher up part of the door, bringing that down to continue the darker vertical line. Once I have the shadow covered, merge any layers I've created together, add a mask, and paint on the mask to bring back the ear below.

I left a line of the shadow to the right of the eye, as to try and make that light, like the doors would be hard as well as retaining the detail of the fur.

After this I did apply a very slight (2 pixel maybe) blur layer and then painted this off the dog to soften the BG and blend any areas of cloning too.

Sounds more work when you type it out, but using keyboard shortcuts and the scroll wheel on the mouse you can whizz about fairly quickly... (No graphics tablet here). I don;t like suggesting something be cloned out unless I'm sure it can be done, sometimes the only way to know is to try. Start small and work up.

And Loud, I'm sure it is, but I don;t think the image brings that across. tbh the spinning rear wheel is lost at first (and probably second) look. The cluttered BG doesn't help. What about a closer shot more on the exhaust pipe, which would probably give you the body of the bike as most of the BG. Dunno? :)

Thanks Graham, for the advice and comments I did take lots of different pics of the bike exhaust only front on side on etc etc but just could not get them to work :(

Hi ya

oooh...got love a bike shot...I trackday'd one of those for a year...oodles of fun & as you say.....LOUD !! I'm kinda thinking a head on shot showing the vents in the front fairing might also have worked & meant you lost a lot of the bg by getting close in...then again maybe only a biker would have understood that type of shot ?

Yeah Im with you I did do that first but the decals on the front of the bike are showing signs of age and they looked untidy will be changing then over the winter

Hi Craig

Wild - nice crow - good colours and sky.(y) agree with others re the crop off the right to the point of the branch
dream - quite dark and could do with RHS crop to make it less central. Good idea for the stars.
Vertical - on theme for me subject to points of others re the position of the line, the LH fish and the b/g
Yum - good pov and focus - looks a little lifeless to me prob cos of the OCF
Loud - certainly looks it(y) - same comments re b/g and wheel

Hi Alan - Thanks for taking the time to catch up and comment its appreciated

Dream - Nicely lit from the left but I feel a little fill in or a reflector from the right would just help a little. The glittery surface adds interest

Vertical - Very similar in a way to Posiview's shot for this theme. The lures are nice and bright

Yum - Super eyes but an improvement to the background would have helped.

Loud - Another one where a better background would have really helped. The starburst is a nice addition though

Thanks Peter :)

Rich - Nice shot of the dragon, well taken i can just about make out the jewels at the bottom of the dragon my only crit is the focus on the dragons face seems to be oof i would of liked to have seen the whole dragon sharp and in focus. With a small use of the crowbar i can see a connection to the theme.

Rich - Nice shot of the dragon, well taken i can just about make out the jewels at the bottom of the dragon my only crit is the focus on the dragons face seems to be oof i would of liked to have seen the whole dragon sharp and in focus. With a small use of the crowbar i can see a connection to the theme.

Thanks Mandy - I can see what you mean it did not seem so oof on flickr when I uploaded but just noticed a missed a bit of cloning out on the wing too :(

Hi Craig

I love dragons...got a fair collection but none with a treasure chest like yours ! Wider DOF is needed to get everything in focus...I suspect f8 -f11 or similar ? Looking at it larger on flickr it appears you've cut/pasted him on to a new background or tried to change the bg color ? As you say , a few places missed on the wings & the bottom of the base seems a little jagged ?
It is on theme for me though :)

Back