The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

The XT1 is very good at ISO but something to remember is that Fujis ISO doesnt deliver the same exposure as the other manufacturers, its about 2/3 stop out. For APSC its fantastic and combined with the fast primes it can rival FF in certain situations, but start going over 3200 and even in RAW (as can be seen) the noise reduction starts kicking in heavily. Depending on what you shoot it doesnt look as bad as in that link e.g portraits still look great but anything with very fine detail is noticeable.

TBH though its still remarkable what Fujis doing with these sensors and their software, especially the AWB and skintones.

Last edited:
Really tempted to move from my dslr Pentax setup to an xt1. Main issue is selling some of my glass to fund it - I think the xt1 will be a genuine upgrade from my k30, though that's a pretty fantastic camera in its own right. But I'd need to sell both the sigma 50-150 2.8 and 100-300 f4 that are fantastic lenses and hens teeth in the k mount so it would pretty much be a one way street if I do go...
Did tha a little while ago moving from a k-5 to an xe-1.

Generally a good move but be aware that if you like your 50-150 the Fuji equivalent is both heavier and much more expensive. I had the 50-135 Pentax which I had bought new for £639 and to this day consider it the best piece of glass I have ever used. The Fuji equivalent is over £1200 and a couple hundred grams heavier.

So while Fuji lenses are generally a cut above the rest they usually cost a fair bit more too.

Did tha a little while ago moving from a k-5 to an xe-1.

Generally a good move but be aware that if you like your 50-150 the Fuji equivalent is both heavier and much more expensive. I had the 50-135 Pentax which I had bought new for £639 and to this day consider it the best piece of glass I have ever used. The Fuji equivalent is over £1200 and a couple hundred grams heavier.

So while Fuji lenses are generally a cut above the rest they usually cost a fair bit more too.
Thanks for the feedback. I love the sigma, but truth be told it doesn't get enough use. I stuck it on the scales and it's 840g, so only about 100g lighter than the Fuji. With the body advantage, the Fuji kit would be lighter than the Pentax and sigma. I also find the Pentax 18-135 lens incredibly useful and good for quality, so I think the Fuji kit with the equivalent would actually do most of what I want the sigma to do.

Well, just back from a weekend in Lille. I only took the X-T1 and the 18-55mm, needed to travel light, perfect combination for a city break.

I've been going through the shots and I am very impressed with the quality, I have it set to ISO 3200 max and even the shots taken at the highest setting show little or no noise. The day time shots are crisp, clear, full of detail and the colour rendition is spot on, lovely kit.
The only little fly in the ointment is the battery life. I didn't shoot a lot of stuff, possibly 400 shots, and I went through 2 full batteries. I did spend quite a time reviewing them on the rear screen though so it may just be that which drained them, I shall get a third one just for safeties sake.
I found the EVF was excellent, soon got used to it and the focus peaking is very useful. I'll pop a few shots up this evening.

Andy

There's no denying it's a great little camera. It has restored my enthusiasm. No more heavy gear to lug around! (y)

Andy, are your batteries "run in" or brand new? I get about 500 to a battery using my older batteries but I don't use the rear screen much - if I'm in doubt, I bracket the suggested exposure. Oh, and the 18-135 is the (almost!) perfect partner to the X-T1 - the weather sealing and the extra reach just give it the edge, even if the 18-55 is a bit faster (MO, of course!!!)

Both brand new mate, maybe they need a little bit of running in. I know the 18-135mm is good but its also veerryy expensive, at the moment the Fuji system is really only going to be used when I'm travelling light and digital, the rest of the time I'm medium format, film and travelling heavy. I might treat myself yo one next year though if I decide to sell the D7100. :)

Andy

Well, just back from a weekend in Lille. I only took the X-T1 and the 18-55mm, needed to travel light, perfect combination for a city break.

I've been going through the shots and I am very impressed with the quality, I have it set to ISO 3200 max and even the shots taken at the highest setting show little or no noise. The day time shots are crisp, clear, full of detail and the colour rendition is spot on, lovely kit.
The only little fly in the ointment is the battery life. I didn't shoot a lot of stuff, possibly 400 shots, and I went through 2 full batteries. I did spend quite a time reviewing them on the rear screen though so it may just be that which drained them, I shall get a third one just for safeties sake.
I found the EVF was excellent, soon got used to it and the focus peaking is very useful. I'll pop a few shots up this evening.

Andy

I take about 4 battery out on a trip as I tend to leave my camera on all the time,I don't pixel peep much so I get around 250 to 350 per battery :)

They should improve then, Andy. Although I rarely exhaust even the first one (I try to make sure they're all charged at the start of the day), I always have 2 spares attached to the strap of the X-T. Luckily, the X-Pro1 uses the same batteries as does my bridge camera (which I don't use these days.) Unlike Simon, I switch off between shooting opportunities to conserve battery power since I'm well aware of the relatively limited battery life compared to my D700.

Missed the EVF comment earlier - I hated the one in my old Minolta dImage 5 but have been converted by the X-T1's.

Found this if anyone is after some decent fast cards:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/Inte...imaPro-X-SD-(SDHC)-Class-10-UHS-1-U3---95MB_s

Still trying to raise funds from my Canon items to get the 56mm f1.2, which is making me all excited!

Downside is, my old Macbook won't support the new versions of LR or Capture One needed for the XT-1 profiles so need t upgrade to a new computer to get up to date software :(

OK, a couple of shots from the weekend in Lille. Not stunning images really, just very impressed with the quality of the camera, especially at higher ISO.

How Rude. ISO 3200, handheld at 1/15th of a second. The image stabilisation works extremely well.
15714905125_23192f7711_b.jpg

I think it handled the very different light conditions in this one very well indeed. It needed only a little tweaking to bring out the Peacock from the much lighter background.
15529712007_58dc9e9c81_b.jpg

And one from the long end of the 18-55mm. Very impressed with how its picked out those little bits of colour.
15094964454_31911d19a0_b.jpg

And lastly a bit of candid street stylie.
15716455022_4e3fd88395_b.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Good examples of what this great little camera and kit lens can do, glad you are pleased with it Andy.

Tried mine yesterday with the new eyecup, definite improvement on the original. I use my right eye and noticeably less light leaking in with the new replacement, tenner well spent

Just sold my XT1 with 14,23 and 56mm lenses.

It was difficult to say goodbye but I was really only using it for fun and 99% of those were with the 23mm. So I decided to sell up and pick up the new X100T (for fun) and buy a new lens for my DSLR for more serious stuff.

Guess I'll have to unsubscribe from this thread now ;)

No specific Fuji lens thread so here will do nicely

Just bought the 35mm from Curry's, with their 10% off and the Fuji cashback works out at a penny under 260 quid.
Thought it was worth sharing, cheaper than I have seen them for s/hand

Just taken delivery of this kit. I've bought the kit lens so far. Now a question!
Rather than buy the 55-220 lens I believe I can get an adaptor to use my Canon 70-200. This would obviously save me a lot of money that I could use to get a Samyang. Has anyone used one of these adaptors and if so do they work, and which one is the best to buy?
I understand that I will lose A/F but I can probably live with that, at least in the short term.

Just taken delivery of this kit. I've bought the kit lens so far. Now a question!
Rather than buy the 55-220 lens I believe I can get an adaptor to use my Canon 70-200. This would obviously save me a lot of money that I could use to get a Samyang. Has anyone used one of these adaptors and if so do they work, and which one is the best to buy?
I understand that I will lose A/F but I can probably live with that, at least in the short term.

Adapters for the Fuji-X cameras work just fine and yes you are correct in thinking you will lose AF. You'll be able to use Aperture Priority & Manual exposure modes. I'm not familiar with your lens as I use Nikon equipment and some of their lenses with my X-T1. But if your lens does not have an aperture ring then to use it will be a little difficult as you need to stop the aperture down manually. However you can get an adapter that will enable you to do this but it is not very accurate as you stop the lens down by using a slide type thing on the side of the adapter and you will have no reference as to the exact aperture you have set. Also if getting an adapter make sure you get one that allows infinity focus as not all of them do.

Hope this is all of some help to you.,

George.

Picked mine up on Monday - got a kit with 18-135 from the refurb store. Not had a chance to play with it in daylight yet, but first impressions are very good. It really does just ooze quality. The 18-135 is excellent too. I was always happy with the Pentax version as an all in one lens, but this is definitely a step above. I'll pick up some more lenses once I've sold more of my Pentax ones.

Ah unsure what to do, currently got XT1 18 & 35mm

Got a bit of dosh to spend so either the 56mm 1.2 or the 50-200 AND Samyang 12mm f2

It's a tough dilemma!

Has anyone had their cash back paid from Fuji yet for any lenses or cameras purchased? If so what is the company name that pays the cash back to us?

Has anyone had their cash back paid from Fuji yet for any lenses or cameras purchased? If so what is the company name that pays the cash back to us?
Yes, after I phoned them I received a cheque for £200 for my 2 x lens deal. It took about 7 weeks in all and I received the cheque not long after calling them...They seemed to be called 'Diss Promotional Services'...I'm still waiting for another £100 c/b from them which I guess I'll have to chase them for

Reason I ask is I have been paid what I was expecting as my cash back amount by a company called Opia Limited. Took over a month to arrive mind. Just wondered if others had received their cash back from the same people.

Has anyone managed to connect the XT-1 to an Android phone, and got it to work?
I've got the app and selected Wireless Communication from the menu. The app recognises the camera but then just sits there giving me the message "Status : Waiting". Waiting for what it doesn't say. Nothing then happens. I get the little green wi-fi symbol on the menu, but eventually the app goes to "Cannot connect" and the camera menu tells me to retry.....
What am I doing wrong?

I had the same frustrating problem and just gave up.

I don't use an Android phone but do use an Android tablet as a wireless remote for mine. Works just fine, I'm afraid. Other than a test when I first set the devices up (when it worked fine) I haven't used the file transfer app though.

I've never had a problem connecting, can't think off the top of my head the sequence of button presses I use but will check later.

Just had a quick shot with the remote app and paid attention to what I was doing and in what order.

Firstly I ran the app on my tablet, then press wifi button on XT1 then pressed ok. Over to the tablet and select remote control and 3 seconds later it was up and running.
This has always worked for me without failure. It was the first thing I did when i received the XT1 as it was a feature I really wanted. Maybe the instructions give different advice on the way to connect? I've never actually looked.

I disconnected from the camera using the app and then tried a second time, this time without pressing OK on the camera, and again this worked.

I usually always press OK because the camera remembers the last device it was connected to and I have two tablets and a phone that I use to connect with. Pressing OK after the wifi button allows it to see other devices (I think/guess)
If you have never been able to connect then maybe the OK is required?

That's what I've been doing, but I still keep getting error messages.
On the Fuji Forum it sugests disconnecting from other wi-fi sources. This I've also done, but my phone still picks out my domestic wi-fi as well as the Fuji wi-fi. Maybe it will only work if I'm some distance from conventional wi-fi sources, which could be swamping the power of the in camera wi-fi system.

I'm a bit lost!

I've got the app and selected Wireless Communication from the menu. The app recognises the camera but then just sits there giving me the message "Status : Waiting". Waiting for what it doesn't say. Nothing then happens. I get the little green wi-fi symbol on the menu, but eventually the app goes to "Cannot connect" and the camera menu tells me to retry.....
What am I doing wrong?

I have the same problem. On my iPad the app works every time but on my Samsung S3 I have never got it to work.

When I tried it earlier I was sitting less than 6 feet from my wifi router and didn't disconnect from it first. Maybe it's just problems with certain phone or tablet combinations.

My devices I use are Samsung galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and an Asus transformer TF100 all running stock up to date firmware.

I'm using a Samsung Note 3. There seems to be the early stages of a list of Samsung devices that don't work!

Edit...I've just been out far from any wi-fi reception. The phone picks up the camera wi-fi, but then does nothing at all. Just hangs.

Last edited:
No problems using my Samsung Galaxy S3 and app. When the weather was better I had camera on tripod in garden focussing on bird feeders and I was using the phone indoors to take pictures, the set-up must have been about 15 meters apart. Also, home router was two rooms away and about 30 foot in distance from phone/camera.

I have always connected camera and phone at same time, like Colin, works everytime for me.

Maybe worth trying a reset on camera?

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" tablet and didn't disconnect it from my home WiFi before using it as a remote.

What am I doing wrong?

Works fine on tablet and phone. Try pressing the OK button when it says waiting.

Back