The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Like that Alistair. Looks great. Great sky and love the way the train is picking up the light as well. 23 is next on my list i think.

Hey guys/gals, whats everyone been shooting with their XP1's?

Seems to have gone very quiet in here! :(

I have just ordered a 14mm f2.8 lens which should be delivered for Friday and have just received yesterday my Lee Little stopper so looking forward to getting out at the weekend and testing them out.

I've been shooting with the 18mm lately, street stuff. Keep thinking about the 14mm, I guess I need to try one.
I like shooting wide, any thoughts by anyone about how much better the IQ is over the 18?

Hold my hand ..... by Mike Deacon | Photography, on Flickr

I've got a fair few street shots with my 14mm on my flickr. flickr.com/amtaylorphotography I think the 14mm is a fantastic lens. I'm not overly fussed with the 18 for street stuff as 28mm equivalent feels neither here nor there for me personally. The 14 is very different to use for street but yields some great results when you nail it

I've been shooting with the 18mm lately, street stuff. Keep thinking about the 14mm, I guess I need to try one.
I like shooting wide, any thoughts by anyone about how much better the IQ is over the 18?

Not sure yet as 14mm should be arriving tomorrow so will be testing it out over the next week or so. Also have the 18 too so will try and compare some shots of similar subjects and see what I think.

Purchased it mainly as a wide prime for shooting landscapes and perhaps some architectural shots. Also went for it over the 10-24 as I already have money invested in Lee Seven5 filters which aren't big enough for the 10-24.

Last edited:
I've got a fair few street shots with my 14mm on my flickr. flickr.com/amtaylorphotography I think the 14mm is a fantastic lens. I'm not overly fussed with the 18 for street stuff as 28mm equivalent feels neither here nor there for me personally. The 14 is very different to use for street but yields some great results when you nail it

Thanks for that Andy. I wouldn't have thought there would be a great deal of difference (FOV wise) between them. I'm thinking more IQ wise, as the 14 is a £700 lens.
Really like the shots with both lenses on your Flickr!

Not sure yet as 14mm should be arriving tomorrow so will be testing it out over the next week or so. Also have the 18 too so will try and compare some shots of similar subjects and see what I think.

Purchased it mainly as a wide prime for shooting landscapes and perhaps some architectural shots. Also went for it over the 10-24 as I already have money invested in Lee Seven5 filters which aren't big enough for the 10-24.

Thanks Anthony. I'd be very interested to know what you think.

FOV is totally different. IQ is significantly better though. There is a sparkle and 3D effect that isn't present in the 18mm

Had a play with the 10-24mm on holiday, a big wheat field and a little off camera flash :) (not sure where the slight halo has come from as no hdr has been used)

ALT10210a.jpg

Last edited:
Whilst the weather was good yesterday, I took the X-Pro1 around the garden and tried out several of my vintage lenses with adapters (CZ Planar 50/1.4 HFT, CZ Teletassar 135/4, Autocosmogon 58/2 aka Helios 44M). I was also testing out the QBM extension tube set that arrived this week.

Two from the CZ Planar 50/1.4, processed with VSCO..

I had a family weekend away in Liverpool I'm loving the lightness of not carrying the 5d around with me .
I've only got the 18mm at the mo I can't decide to get either the 35mm or the 60 macro ;)

View attachment 17999

Last edited:
I had a family weekend away in Liverpool I'm loving the lightness of not carrying the 5d around with me .
I've only got the 18mm at the mo I can't decide to get either the 35mm or the 60 macro ;)

I would say the 35mm is far superior to the 60 (I own both) but it depends what you shoot I guess. If you do a lot of portraits the 60 maybe better but for almost everything else the 35 is king.

I'm looking for something to take on family walks etc I think the 60mm would give me the added interest of doin a few macro shots. I'm not really bothered about the focal lengths per se as 35 and 60 are relatively close ish ;)

It's more iq for me I'm finding the 18mm stonkingly sharp and liking the fact I don't have to carry the 5d ;)

I'm looking for something to take on family walks etc I think the 60mm would give me the added interest of doin a few macro shots. I'm not really bothered about the focal lengths per se as 35 and 60 are relatively close ish ;)

It's more iq for me I'm finding the 18mm stonkingly sharp and liking the fact I don't have to carry the 5d ;)

For the 60mm focal length, the 55-200mm is a better lens in my experience - although it's significantly heavier. Whilst the zoom os slower the OIS goes a long way towards making up for this, and it's significantly faster to focus in low light than the 60mm. I had both at a family event in March. Indoors with average artificial lighting conditions the 60mm kept struggling to focus. I switched to the 55-200mm and focus was much quicker off the mark. Image quality is just as good with the zoom.

The 35mm is a stunning lens, if it was down to the 35mm or the 60mm the 35mm wins every time. I didn't even pack the 60mm when I went on holiday a couple of weeks ago. Just left it sitting on the bedside table - I can't see me giving it much use tbh.

Thanks for the Input Alastair much appreciated. I'm leaning towards the 35mm and keeping any macro stuff on the 5d :)

It should also be pointed out that the 60mm isn't a "true" macro in that it doesn't give 1:1 magnification on the sensor. I had both the 60mm and the 55-200 but since most of my photography is done where footz00ming simply isn't an option, I kept the zoom and traded the 60mm (which had come as the "free" lens as part of the X-Pro1 deal) in against the 10-24. Still toying with the idea of a true macro for the Fujis but I have an excellent macro setup for my Nikon system so it's not a priority. I would like a very fast wide angle though - 18mm (27mm EFL) and f/2 isn't quite wide or fast enough (but will probably have to suffice on next year's Iceland trip [for the AB]).

Nod, i took the 14mm 2.8 to Iceland on Andy`s trip back in March and it worked a treat on my XE1, for the Northern lights and Ice caverns.

Last edited:
Cheers for that Simon.

I like the look of the Gariz, but went for the Neewer grip.
Horses for courses, I guess.

Yes, I fitted a Gariz half-case - I always liked the look of my Kodak Retina in it's half-case..

Looks nice :) I'm tempted by the one in the link as its only £23 ish as opposed to £70ish :)

Looks nice :) I'm tempted by the one in the link as its only £23 ish as opposed to £70ish :)

The X-Pro1 was a special present to myself for a signifcant birthday, so I did splash out. Mind you, I keep spending money on it!

With the Gariz case and strap, the secondhand thumbs up rest that arrived today and with a vented hood for the 23mm.. it's about as pimped as it's going to get.

Im in the same boat Alistair I'm looking at soft shutter releases' half cases' 35mm lenses' 60mm lenses' straps' bags you name it.

pimp my ride lol :) :)

Im in the same boat Alistair I'm looking at soft shutter releases' half cases' 35mm lenses' 60mm lenses' straps' bags you name it.

pimp my ride lol :) :)
The Gariz softies are nice - I have 2, a black one and a red one. The threads are quite short and they do work loose - I need to get some PTFE tape and see if that works.

I like the way the Gariz ones are machined like the shutter speed dial etc.

Where can i source one in the uk please :)

Last edited:
Had a (Gariz) 1/2 case on my X-10 and it was a PITA. I've got big fingers and couldn't get through the base plate to open the card/battery door, let alone get the card or battery out. Beautifully made piece of kit though!

I like the way the Gariz ones are machined like the shutter speed dial etc.

Where can i source one in the uk please :)
Best source for Gariz products is via their direct Ebay account and shipped from Korea. There are no official UK distributors.

Just an idea.. but do we need a "The Official Talk Fuji thread" thread in the Equipment session? - about half the activity in model specific threads is generic to the full range of Fuji CSCs, and often the compacts as well. There's a risk that people might miss something interesting if they're not following all three active threads and it's only going to get worse as Fuji announce new models. Any discussion of XC, XF or adapted lenses is already relevant to both this thread and the X-T1 thread, and to anyone with an X-E1/-A1/-M1/-E2. Discussion of processing the x-trans files only affects owners of one model fewer.

A couple of studio images from a shoot last night....Rob is vocalist in Death Metal band All Consumed, so I wanted pretty moody images.....

Xpro with 60mm and Neewer tt850 flash through gridded beauty dish;
rob%2B%281%2Bof%2B1%29_small.jpg

Xpro with Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5 (Tokina variant) attached via Fotodiox adapter and lit by Neewer tt850 flash through beauty dish (no grid);

rob%2B%282%2Bof%2B1%29_small.jpg

Nice. Those Vivitar Series 1's are excellent on the Fuji's. I had the 70-210 f2.8 which I regretted selling, but it's been replaced by a Tokina ATX 100-300 f4 for the extra length. I also have the 28-105 f2.8 (cost £14.00) which is also a fantastic lens with it's constant f2.8.

Last edited:
I had the Tamron 28-85 f2.8 on my Nikon so knew the Vivitar was good focal length for me. I sold up my two XP1 & lenses (inc 70-210) to change to M4/3, but didnt like them so I then bought the XT1 with the 35mm. I then bought the above mentioned legacy lenses as I wait for the super tele to come out. The 28-105 is a good lens and worth keeping an eye out for, I prefer M42 fitting but bought this one in FD mount.

Back