The23rdman's 52 for 2010- Week 24 - METAL

The sky is fantastic. Could easily be used in another image to transform a dull sky.

Week 2 Very nice combination of poem and pic. Works well as mono.

Week 3 Looks like the trip to YSP was well worth it.

The sky is fantastic. Could easily be used in another image to transform a dull sky.

Thanks. Only HDR could have brought that sky to life.

Week 2 Very nice combination of poem and pic. Works well as mono.

Week 3 Looks like the trip to YSP was well worth it.

Thanks, mate. It was worth it for the company. The light was appalling, but we made the best of it.

Lovely shot, looks great in the larger version. how was the YSP meet, i was tempted with the trip but had more mundane things to do instead. it is a great place and plenty of art in a beautiful setting

It was a lot of fun, but, as noted by others, the light was flat and lifeless.

Allen, you're right. I'll shop that out.

Your poem shot is well composed and well lit and if the focus is off then I can't see it :) Nice B&Ws too!

Your chopped is excellent - for a static object it has real dynamism! Great conversion!

Two good shots!

That's an amazing shot. I have to give HDR a shot sometime but i wouldn't know where to start... I also have to find another subject for my 'chopped' now... i had a nice chopped down log in mind :p

No reason why you can't use your log, Rich. This is why I got in quickly as I figured it'd be quite an obvious choice. I did try to make it interesting with the processing though. :)

No reason why you can't use your log, Rich. This is why I got in quickly as I figured it'd be quite an obvious choice. I did try to make it interesting with the processing though. :)

I'll have a look around for something else, but if all else fails i'll shoot the log :p

Like you say, we don't want a forum full of log shots :LOL:

We could start a new forum especially for log lovers.:LOL:

I also have to find another subject for my 'chopped' now... i had a nice chopped down log in mind :p

And that is exactly why I won't look at anyone else's until my shot is done! :LOL:

Lovely shot Dean!
If you keep going like this, you're going to have a stunning set of 52 to look back on :clap:

:shrug: I don't know why, but I find I far prefer HDR on B&W conversions and this is no exception.
Maybe not an unique subject for chopped but the PP really makes it stand as an interesting shot. Great angle and good DOF (y)

That curved shot is great - I think Buddha is oof for most people actually - if you had not mentioned the focus I'd not have noticed.

Chopped is excellent. Well taken, love the hdr processing and the full size is amazing. Perfect harshness, great levels... I wish it was in my album :(

Arthur

Thank you all for your comments. I'm really enjoying the challenge so far.

Sarah, I tend to agree about HDR. I only really use'd it on this occasion to try and bring anything at all out of the dead sky. It worked, thank God.:)

Here's my first attempt at this week. It's almost my back-up shot as the weather and available models may scupper my plans for getting the lights out.

Anyway, this is the idea for this shot. I wanted to shoot a simple street bench empty and bleak. The idea was to isolate it from the life going on in the distance and almost project a that feeling someone who feels completely invisible is sitting on it. It's deliberately dirty and grainy.

Clickable.

Last edited:
Really like the processing on this Dean. You've managed to achieve what you set out to do that's for sure. Right up my street this shot if you'll pardon the pun.

Ian.

You've brought the bench into the foreground nicely, thereby isolating it from the activity in the background which becomes more apparent the more you look at the picture.
I like the gritty processing, and it certainly says Street to me. :)

Cheers, fella. Roll on next week!

Due to time constraints this is definitely my shot for this week. I hope to get an opportunity to use my other idea for another theme later in the year.

Nice powerful image. For me the processing is a little too severe but I love the composition and I wouldn't change it massively. I think you captured the atmosphere you were after pretty much spot on.

Nice composition - the low angle and the swirl of the street are perfect. The processing suits very well. :clap::clap:

Thank you both. Looking forward to next week now. :)

Nice subject for the theme and well framed. The processing isn't quite to my taste but can see what you're after. A little curious about the background blur, the left of the street looks far sharper than the right. Did you PP in some blur?

Super composition and angle too, mono also works well with this shot. ;)

wooo street is lovely! I love the composition. I've always wanted to get a shot of a lonely empty bench but in Chichester there's always a load of lazy people sitting on them (usually me..!).

Nice subject for the theme and well framed. The processing isn't quite to my taste but can see what you're after. A little curious about the background blur, the left of the street looks far sharper than the right. Did you PP in some blur?

Thanks. No, no blur added. That could either be because the lens is a little off as it's ben dropped, or the vignette, maybe?

wooo street is lovely! I love the composition. I've always wanted to get a shot of a lonely empty bench but in Chichester there's always a load of lazy people sitting on them (usually me..!).

:LOL::LOL:

Super composition and angle too, mono also works well with this shot. ;)

Cheers, mate!

Thanks, Sarah. I chose the wide open aperture as I felt it further helped to portray the isolated feel I was after. :)

I really like this Dean! My favorite out of all the street shots iv seen this week anyway (y)
You have got the composition spot on, and I really like the processing you have done. Resulted in a very strong image. Great entry for your 52 (y)

Back