Week 5 (speed) is in post 92.
Week 6 (present) is in post 128.
week 7 (people) is in post 152.
Week 8 (Mechanical) in post 187.
Week 9 (play) in post 224.
Week 10 (chemistry) in post 254
Bored now. Find them yourselves! ;)

(Link to week 1 - curves)

I had an epic fail for my first attempt at this weeks theme, but really wanted to do something of Rumi's as he moves me in so many ways. I eventually settled on this quatrain...

Whisper to me intimately like a lover,
for tenderness is rare in this world.
It is difficult to convey the magic of love
to those who are made of dust.

Unfortunately the buddha head is out of focus. I thought I had the focus set correctly for him with enough dof for us both, but sadly not. Next time!

Last edited:
Nice work Dean, I like it.

Well thought out & the words have more than a grain of truth about them too.

Thank you all. :)

The lighting was a real pain to try and get right as I only have one flash. I ended up using a bedside lamp to uplight Buddha's head and my 430EX fired through a brolly high at 45* camera left.

I'm not familiar with Rumi, I'll have a google.
I too like the lighting, and I think it's a great mono picture.

Thanks guys. Roll on next week!

That's just superb Dean :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dramatic, well lit and a perfect match for the poem.
The focus might be slightly off on the Buddha head, but TBH if you hadn't mentioned it, it's not something I would have noticed. It really must be extremely slight.

I'd like to give more constructive C&C, but the image really is spot on for me. I absolutely love it :love:

This one is really different, I like the combination of the unreal Buddha's head and the flash&bones, living human next to it. Surprising and very interesting..

Top marks for this one, mono processing is lovely, brings out the detail in the Buddha really well.

Thank you all for your wonderfully kind comments. :)

I really like that! (y)

I never noticed the buddha head was out of focus. It looks great, and the lighting is brilliant :)

Week 3 - Chopped

Not sure about this, but I had it in mind for this weeks theme at the sculpture park yesterday.

I know that log, I'z got a close up on my bubble :D

Works great in the bigger version (its clickable for anyone who didn't mouse over), the HDR works well to make it pop IMO, gives it a surreal look. You don't get more chopped than that. Definitely suits black and white too, where the hell did you find that detail in the clouds...

I know that log, I'z got a close up on my bubble :D

Works great in the bigger version (its clickable for anyone who didn't mouse over), the HDR works well to make it pop IMO, gives it a surreal look. You don't get more chopped than that. Definitely suits black and white too, where the hell did you find that detail in the clouds...

Thanks, mate. The clouds? Well, that's the beauty of shooting Raw and using an HDR. Those clouds are exposed at -3 stops up to +2. Then it's a case of selectively altering curves, contrast, exposure and structure to find some detail.

Stunning absolutely love it even though I am not a fan of Black and white.

I am now going to think harder as other half is chopping trees today :thinking: was going to go down the same lines.

Loving week 3's...really great effort!!(y)

Need to get my thinking cap on for "chopped", not quite as easy as it first seems!!:thinking:

Thank you all for your kind comments. :)

Thanks, Andy. It was serendipity really. out shooting sculptures and this appeared.

Wow you're keen. I'm still weighing up what to do for this weeks theme. Great looking shot. HDR has really brought the detail out and made the clouds look fantastic.

Wow you're keen. I'm still weighing up what to do for this weeks theme. Great looking shot. HDR has really brought the detail out and made the clouds look fantastic.

Thanks. :) Not sure about keen. Just saw the opportunity and took it!

Photo really works well in B&W some people just seem to send the photos in as soon as the weeks theme is announced just wish I could be that quick normally leave it to last minute and start to panic lol. HDR is on my to do list for this 52 so will have to have a practice soon. once again well done a great start :clap:

Back