The23rdman's 52 for 2010- Week 24 - METAL

Number 3 for me, nice lighting on subjects and great background (y)

Ah, yes, the background. As I was saying, I used this to try out a few techniques with my lights. One of them was shooting through something for background texture and colour. In hindsight I'd have done something a little different.

Another vote for #4 from me. A nice simple shot using the natural light. I like the colours in all 4 images but #4 just shades it with the carving of the face/person in the background.
Iain

Ah, now I'm confused. ;) Maybe I should make a collage of all of them!

You should be happy with them all but number 3 is the one to go in the frame for them to enjoy I think. All look very comfortable and natural. Great job :clap:

Thanks everyone. Number 3 is looking like it's my favourite too.

I like all of 'em Dean.

Although I have to go with 4, as the background on the others isn't really working for me.

Nice set though.

Ian.

Thanks, guys. I'm going to stick with #3 as it fits the bill better than the others.:)

Othese are of my mum and her fella

One for the family album. I might have included a little more body and lost some of the blank space off the top if it was me. Very nice though. :)

I didnt see the others but thats a lovely portrait of your mum and her chap, they look fab, very relaxed.. the lighting is spot on..

Thank you both. Lee, I think you're right about the composition. It's something I have trouble getting right with portraits.

Great stuff, you nailed the lighting IMO (as a complete lighting noob), and the pose is first class. What was the bg?

I didn't see the other images, took me until today to get my own posted so I haven't been looking. You would have been hard pushed to get a better one I think.

All that strobist information is a bit of a mystery to me :thinking:
I know absolutely nothing about it, except to say that whatever you did worked :clap:

I didn't see your other shots, but the one you've chosen looks great to me. Lovely portrait, good pose and the lighting's spot on. I love the background too - I guess that's something to do with the weird imitation plant thingy, in technical strobist speak ;)

The only bit not quite working for me is Peter's eye contact. I would have preferred him to either be looking more directly at the camera or at your mum. That's nit picking though and it really doesn't detract from the image.
Another very good week for you :clap:

Great stuff, you nailed the lighting IMO (as a complete lighting noob), and the pose is first class. What was the bg?

I didn't see the other images, took me until today to get my own posted so I haven't been looking. You would have been hard pushed to get a better one I think.

Cheers, James. The background is simply the wall of the room with a green gelled flash shot through some wierd planty thing.

All that strobist information is a bit of a mystery to me :thinking:
I know absolutely nothing about it, except to say that whatever you did worked :clap:

I didn't see your other shots, but the one you've chosen looks great to me. Lovely portrait, good pose and the lighting's spot on. I love the background too - I guess that's something to do with the weird imitation plant thingy, in technical strobist speak ;)

The only bit not quite working for me is Peter's eye contact. I would have preferred him to either be looking more directly at the camera or at your mum. That's nit picking though and it really doesn't detract from the image.
Another very good week for you :clap:

Thanks, Sarah. :D I don't get what you mean about Peter's eye contact though. As far as I can see he's looking at us!

I didn't see all of them, but that image is very good, wonderful portrait.

Late again! Speed I like, the re-shoot is nice and gloomy while clearly stating the message.

People, interesting take and well-taken but for me seems a bit of.. well, easy option?

Arthur

Looking at your chosen shot for people, I have nothing negative to say about it, it's a lovely portrait and your mum looks exceedingly good for 60 :)

Perhaps a little less space above their heads so more of the torso was included, but again, it's lovely as it is :)

Thanks, Louise. I agree with you about the dead space.:)

OK, it's clickable - that big version is much more imposing, very sharp and bright... totally different atmosphere to the little one in the thread - I keep wanting to grin right back at them! The little boring bit of darkness is still there but it's overlookable in the big image as it somehow seems to be less significant. I like this one now, but the little one does it no justice at all.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur. I thought I posted that it was clickable. :D

Here's week 8 sorted. I didn't really get inspired for this shot until last night when an idea popped into my noggin. Thanks to Ste Manns for being a superstar and posing for this.

Shot with Canon 10-22mm. Strobist info:
430EX through lumiquest III camera left and above.
manual flash through 2" snoot camera right and slightly behind for rim light.
Manual flash left and slightly behind through 5" snoot for rim.
All 1/4 CTO gelled.

Clickable.

Last edited:
That's a very striking and well taken image Dean. Great detail in the hands and spanner (the wrench not Ste) and overall quite threatening. Looks better large too.

Did you have to make up your model or did he come looking like that?

Adding this to my shortlist of favourites for the week (y)

Oh and you need to update your 7 for an 8 in the thread title :)

That's a very striking and well taken image Dean. Great detail in the hands and spanner (the wrench not Ste) and overall quite threatening. Looks better large too.

Threatening? :eek:

Erm. I'm not normally that mucky no, thank you very much :D

Great image Dean mate, glad to have been helpful :)

Pop quiz - can anyone guess the size of the spanner?

Thanks, mate. The model was happy to cover himself in crap especially for the shot. Glad I didn't let him down!

Threatening? :eek:

Erm. I'm not normally that mucky no, thank you very much :D

Great image Dean mate, glad to have been helpful :)

Pop quiz - can anyone guess the size of the spanner?

It was a bloody big one!

Thats fantastic!! colours are great and its a good interpretation of the theme!

Very well put together, the lighting really makes this shot with a little help from a stand in grease monkey :D

(y)

Dean, the shot is amazing, well done!

The grease on his hands really gives it a special kick.(y)

Speaking of...
Ste, off to wash your hands at once and don't touch anything on your way, especially the baby!:baby:
Thank you very much.
...And don't make a mess in the bathroom that i have just cleaned it!
Joking, i am not that bad.:D

very well done.

Love the pose and the processing on this one. Clean hands would not have worked in my opinion.

I reckon it's 2 1/4 inch.

Thank you all forthe kind comments. It's rare I shoot something I'm completely happy with, but this one fits the bill. :)

Thanks, Derek. D'you know, I never even thought of the menacing aspect of the shot.

Nice, my sort of piccie as that's how I spend lots of time! Well taken and presented and liking the lighting particularly.

Arthur

Back