The23rdman's 52 for 2010- Week 24 - METAL

But you have very menacing hands and spanners!

Dean, a fantastic shot! The lighting and the detail it brings out in the hands of your 'model' is spot on. Well done bang on theme. Iain

This is a really great shot. The best I have seen all week by a long way in the 52s, but you do have to click on it for the larger version to get the full impact. I love everything about it, but it must have been a horrendous job washing those hands afterwards!

Jenny

Thank you, Jenny, that means a lot! It's by far my favourite shot of the year so far...and, yes, Ste did have a job getting 'em clean.

thats fantastic!.. didnt understand a word of the techy stuff but I know I like the result.. composition, lighting, idea.. everything just perfect!

Ooh lovely image, it's got a great feel of non nonsense down to earth men at work fixing stuff. Colours good, pose good, well executed and why the hell didn't I think of that... :(
Great work.

Thank you all once again. This 52 is stretching me every week, yet I'm really enjoying the challenge. The fun part is I've not really thought too hard about what to do, but trusted a good idea will just appear if I let my other-than-conscious mind ruminate long enough.

Thanks, Dade. The angle could only have been achieved with the super-wide angle lens. glad I put it in the bag before setting off!

Dont think I can say anything that hasnt already been said for the mechanical shot, my best of the week, lighting is top notch!!

Thanks, guys. Although it doesn't look like it, the processing is actually quite minimal. Just hit lucky on a decent bit of lighting and a good model. :D

Hi Dean,

This is a really good entry and one of the best I've seen for Week 8. Nothing more to say from me other than "great shot".

Ian.

This is very good, bang on theme and the colour is spot on. This is right up there amongst the best.

Thanks for the heads up too. (y)

That's a stunning image Dean. It works so well. Love the lighting, but not a clue what it all means :D.... but that's ok... I'll work it out in time.

Thanks John. :D

The first time I came across a shot on Flickr with strobist lighting info I thought the guy was talking Dutch!

:clap: Now that is definitely one to be proud of!

The angle could only have been achieved with the super-wide angle lens. glad I put it in the bag before setting off!

For me it's the angle and the slight distortion in perspective that makes the shot - I was just about to ask if it was the lens or a clever bit of PP and you've already answered my question.

Very effective processing and the composition is spot on - you've really made the most of that super-wide angle.
Some nice little details in there when viewed large too . . . the couple of worn places in the jacket and the watch strap just peeking out of his cuff stand out for me.

IMO it's the best shot for mechanical that I've seen so far. 10/10 from me (y)

(and well done to Ste for modeling too!)

Thank you, Sarah. It means a lot when as good a photographer as you gives glowing comments like that. :D

Well, I tried a few things this week including a huge project being my own band and compositing a shot, but this one proved to be my favourite. I felt under a bit of presure to live up to last weeks shot, which I loved. This is ok, but it's not in the same class.

It's clickable as always.

Strobist info: 430 EX 1/2 CTO 1/4 power through Lumiquest III camera left.

Yongnuo 1/2 CTO 1/4 power behind drum gobo'd and pointing up.

Yongnuo 1/2 CTO through 1" grid at about 1/4 power camera right firing at drum and hand.

Last edited:
Thanks, Chris. It's my wife's larger djembe drum. Looks even bigger because I shot with the 10-22mm.

I like the way you've done the lighting, it really brings out the details of the drum and hands

Just catching up with your 52, the drum picture has a great texture around it and the hands are lit just right, the mechanical shot is definitely your best picture so far love the colours the composition the overall feel of the picture all your hard work in studying your lighting etc seems to be paying dividends best Mechanical picture on the forum :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks, Shaun. I'm going to have to reprocess it. I had my proof settings wrong so it's come out too dark. Working on it now. :)

I did wonder what it was when I first saw it. Looked like a giant sponge cake :) You've carried on well from last week. I like the wide angle and the lighting works a treat once again. Great stuff :clap:

Thanks, Darren. I promise to try something different next week! ;)

Hmm, this 52 thing is bringing out the best in you. Loving the colours and lighting in this image, it's got real feel to it and I don't think it's that far behind last weeks image. The textures in that drum thingy are class.

More first class work and more inspiration for myself, good job.

oh, and it's no longer week 7 by the way.

Hmmm...

I like the lighting and the subject Dean, but there is one thing niggling me...

Your right hand appears to be somehow "wrong". I don't know if it's because you've held it away from the drum to pick up the lighting from the flash below, but the forearm looks really small compared to your left hand resting on the skin. I think this distance thing and the wide angle has led to a bit of distortion that makes it look strange.

It's probably just me, as the colours, lighting, and textures are lovely, but that wierd right forearm keeps drawing me in. :rubs eyes: maybe I've been staring at it too long....

Ian.

Hmm, this 52 thing is bringing out the best in you. Loving the colours and lighting in this image, it's got real feel to it and I don't think it's that far behind last weeks image. The textures in that drum thingy are class.

More first class work and more inspiration for myself, good job.

oh, and it's no longer week 7 by the way.

Thanks, James. Oh, and thanks for the week 7 heads up. D'oh!

Another top notch effort, the only thing I could possibly want for is a wee bit more light to pick out the line of the shoulder of the player

Thanks, mate. Light is exactly as I wanted it though. Wanted the black out to help frame the image. :)

Hmmm...

I like the lighting and the subject Dean, but there is one thing niggling me...

Your right hand appears to be somehow "wrong". I don't know if it's because you've held it away from the drum to pick up the lighting from the flash below, but the forearm looks really small compared to your left hand resting on the skin. I think this distance thing and the wide angle has led to a bit of distortion that makes it look strange.

It's probably just me, as the colours, lighting, and textures are lovely, but that wierd right forearm keeps drawing me in. :rubs eyes: maybe I've been staring at it too long....

Ian.

Haha! Yeah, I can see what you mean. Defo a result of shooting with the superwide lens.

Back