The23rdman's 52 for 2010- Week 24 - METAL

Thanks everyone for your great comments. They're all very much appreciated.

Dean,

Close is :clap::clap::clap::clap::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Can I be really cheeky and ask you to send me a bigger size (RAW???) file........ I have realyl got into this Dragan thing and that is a prime candidate!!!

This has already had a subtle Dave Hill effect added to it. To be perfectly honest, mate, I really don't like the Dragan effect so I'm going to have to decline.

Where did you get that sunset??????? It's great

Do you know the steps they tried to close on the cliffs between West Runton and Beeston Bump? It's pretty much at the bottom of those looking towards the bump.

Liking both shots this week Dean, both have their strong points and work well.

The self portrait has great contrast.

The landscape is the best of them both though, nice detail in the foreground and the wood blocking the sun is gives a nice effect.

love the indulgence shot, lovely light and composition with some great detail in the foregound.

(y)

indulgence is a stunning shot love everything about it !!!

Thank you all for the comments. I feel all warm inside. ;)

And so we go on to Ingredients...

I love curry. No, really. I LOVE curry. When this weeks theme was drawn there was only ever going to be one winner as my subject.

Here are a few of the spices and herbs I use to build my wicked curries. Extra points for guessing what they all are!

Strobist: 460-II snooted into lightbox high camera left @ 1/16th power.
Handheld 430EX through Lumiquest III low camera right @ 1/64th to bring out shadow a little under plate.

Clickable as always.

Last edited:
curry leaves, nutmeg, turmeric, cloves, cumin, cardamon pods, paprika, chilli powder, dried chillies, cinnamon, what else... maybe a bit of fenugreek, coriander, black peppers........

cool idea. I shouldn't have looked at this as was

a) thinking of something similar......... having seen spice markets on tv earlier in the week
b) I now so NEED a curry!

curry leaves, nutmeg, turmeric, cloves, cumin, cardamon pods, paprika, chilli powder, dried chillies, cinnamon, what else... maybe a bit of fenugreek, coriander, black peppers........

cool idea. I shouldn't have looked at this as was

a) thinking of something similar......... having seen spice markets on tv earlier in the week
b) I now so NEED a curry!

All those are there. :D

I always need a curry! (y)

they kaffir lime leaves at the back then? wondering now what the bigger things are back left......

I trust those ingredients made it to a curry and were not just photoshoot props!

I love indulgence, Dean. I cannot fault it. Great aspect. Beautiful colours and lighting.

I also think the ingredients are great. You need to view the large image to get the best from the photo, but the colours and the different textures are really good, as is the lighting.

I wish you could give my OH some curry lessons!

Jenny

they kaffir lime leaves at the back then? wondering now what the bigger things are back left......

I trust those ingredients made it to a curry and were not just photoshoot props!

Some of them did. The leaves at the back are Bay leaves and the other ugle looking things are black cardamon pods. If you've never used them I suggest you do. They're kinda pungent and smoky.

I love indulgence, Dean. I cannot fault it. Great aspect. Beautiful colours and lighting.

I also think the ingredients are great. You need to view the large image to get the best from the photo, but the colours and the different textures are really good, as is the lighting.

I wish you could give my OH some curry lessons!

Jenny

Thanks, Jenny. Curry making lessons would be fun! He wouldn't be the first kitchen noob I've taught. ;)

Not sure if it's because I love curries, but it looks tantalisingly too far away. I also find the angle of the chopping board a bit awkward to look at, but my mental state can't be discounted here.

It's a lovely compilation of colour and texture (as well as bang on theme), it just seems a bit too far away.

Ian.

You really need to view the large version to do this shot justice. Really well lit and composed. Bang on theme (y)

I agree with Ian to a certain extent but unless you crop really tight on just the ingredients you lose the composition.

Andy

Lovely Dean... well lit, well composed, cracking detail and strong colours... what more can you want... except possibly a curry and a decent beer to go with it :D...

I sort of understood what you did with the lighting too... that's getting scary ...

Not sure if it's because I love curries, but it looks tantalisingly too far away. I also find the angle of the chopping board a bit awkward to look at, but my mental state can't be discounted here.

It's a lovely compilation of colour and texture (as well as bang on theme), it just seems a bit too far away.

Ian.

I kinda see what you mean, Ian. I tried it at a higher angle, but it didnt seem so dynamic. If I get any closer I'll lose the edge of the plate. The only other option would be to zoom right in.

I get what you mean about the chopping board. It looks a bit like the spices are walking the plank into oblivion, doesn't it?

You really need to view the large version to do this shot justice. Really well lit and composed. Bang on theme (y)

I agree with Ian to a certain extent but unless you crop really tight on just the ingredients you lose the composition.

Andy

Thanks, mate. Yes, agreed.

Lovely Dean... well lit, well composed, cracking detail and strong colours... what more can you want... except possibly a curry and a decent beer to go with it :D...

I sort of understood what you did with the lighting too... that's getting scary ...

That's not scary, it's great!

Very good idea Dean, nice colors and I guess nice smells.
I find though that the light tent is too distracting behind the plate, it's to bright for my liking,

Allan

Yep, I can see that. It was really a case of "I'm going to play with my lightbox cos I've hardly used it" than anything else.

I zoomed all the way in to see the big picture and the detail, sharpness and colours are all fantastic.

Having zoomed right in so that the picture was bigger than my laptop screen I found that I preferred a tight crop with the bright colours and textures filling the frame, however that is probably just me - I tend to crop everything too tight.

I don't dislike the composition as you have it, just that all the 'action' in the shot is in the spices themselves rather than the plate or backdrop.

Nice work on the lighting.

Last edited:
I like your ingredients image a lot Dean.
I agree with the opinions above too, it would be good to see more of the spices. The level of detail you have in the image is great, nice lighting too.
It could easily be a product shot, well done bang on theme.
Iain

Thanks for the comments, guys. I've tried various crops and none of them work. The plate give context, imo. I considered a more upright angle, but decided against it. Maybe I'll save it for a reshoot. :)

Really liking the recent shots. Indulgence is cool, liking the sunset there. Coastlines in the evening always look awesome.

Especially like your 'Ingredients' shot, good colours and interesting subject, only thing i notice that i'd change is how the white bowl blends with the background. Otherwise, perfect. (y)

Thanks, Rich. The white bowl doesn't blend with the background, mate. You must have your brightness too high. ;)

Love ingredients! Have to say I disagree with the majority - and like the crop and composition - it makes the plate look somewhat 3D imo - but then, what do I know?!

Possibly, new monitor :bang:

Eaay mistaka to maka!

Love ingredients! Have to say I disagree with the majority - and like the crop and composition - it makes the plate look somewhat 3D imo - but then, what do I know?!

Fanks! :D

That clickable link makes it much better, nice mix of spices there and the image is really sharp. I'm with you too i love to cook up a good curry and can do a better job than the majority of my local takeaways.

Good man. We tried a takeaway t'other night. Bloody rubbish in comparison. So much Indian cuisine is tempered for the western palate. You have to really hunt around for authentic food or cook your own.

I can almost smell the ingredients in your last shot there! Initially I was in two minds about the composition as it looked like there was too much empty space in the frame, but then having attempted something similar myself earlier today, I fully take on board your comments about the composition and why you did it this way. My 15" laptop screen wasn't doing justice to the shot so had a look at the full sized image on my imac and the detail is simply amazing - forget smelling the spices, I could almost taste them! (y)

Stonking shot, Dean - absolutely spot-on. Love the colours, composition and you've done really well on the lighting - could easily be published in "What Balti?" monthly!

Phil

Lovely clear shot, beautiful colours and really "pops" out at you I can just smell it YUmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !!!!

I really like the composition, the spicy colours are gorgeous and you can almost smell them....I love curry too......yum! Very nice lighting...I wish I was more of a tech head.

This week I decided to use our willing strobist model, Jordan, for my 52 as I had a shot in mind. I figured it might be a quite popular idea so I added a twist. :)

Clickable as usual.

Interesting and well-executed shot. I don't think I want to know why you have a gimp mask to hand.....

Phil

Thanks, Phil. It's a wrestling mask! ...And it's not mine! :D

Thanks, Phil. It's a wrestling mask! ...And it's not mine!:D

That's not what you used to say on golfmagic!

Lucky you have a willing model!............ :LOL:

A rather worrying image Dean... The wrestling mask is quite scary.

Nice pose, and I really like the lighting. The only downer is that tuft of light in the top left corner, but that's so minor I don't even know why I typed it out. :)

Ian.

Back