WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Just upgraded the wife’s iPad to a new model, battery very poor in her old mini now, found the receipt for it in the box, March 2014, don’t think we are their target buyers.

I still have an original "iPad Mini". I've had to lose most of the apps, and it runs really slow, but it's still works, when I need it to.

I’m still using my iPad 2 from 2011. The Home button is a bit erratic b(but there’s worksrounds) and it’s slow but otherwise functional. Some current 3rd party software still works. I’m only using it as a security camera display and a clock for another time zone but it’s on constantly. Its been lent out to various friends and family to try out over the years.

OTOH I’ve bought a fair few others, new & used for myself and others and have just bought a new iPad Air 5 (M1).

My TV is an iPad (only watch the news).

I went from iPhone SE to 7Plus to iPhone 11 and my Mac is a Lare 2012 Mini with 27” Thunderbolt Display. (bought used for cheap).

So am I the target buyer?

Apple is a hardware manufacturer and that’s the focus of their business even though they are making lots of money from other stuff now.

The comparison is always with Android but it’s ”apples & oranges” as Google hardly qualifies as a hardware manufacturer, the product they are selling is “you”.
As far as I am aware, Apple don't actually manufacture anything, they employ others to do that. In my view they are very good at product design and marketing, in the past by mainly by acquiring companies & adapting other people's ideas and improving them. They are very clever at locking people into their 'ecosystem'. Their strategy of supporting older iPhones with new software releases & updates (typically 5 years) is a big plus vs Android phones.

I had the misfortune to manage a number of Mac PCs and iPads at a secondary school, along with hundreds of Windows PCs. The Apple ecosystem did not lend itself to multi-user use and maintaining the Apple products was a nightmare.

At home I have an iPad Mini 3, which I mainly use to run Copilot RV navigation for our motorhome as this allows you to specify the size of the vehicle. When this gives up the ghost I will buy a dedicated Navigation unit that supports large vehicles. We both have iPhone 12 handsets but I suspect these might be the last Apple products we buy as they have become too expensive. In the past we would have bought new handsets when our old ones were 2 years old as the battery life started to wane, I think we might consider battery replacement instead.

I believe the minimum dispense is 5 l ( a fuel can full for a lawn mower etc.)
Buy that and the amount XXX.09 still leaves 0.45p
still not a legal tendered amount.

At the rate it's going up. they say 200p ,I mean 200.9..lol... will be soon be upon us .I won't be able to afford to mow the lawns. :D. My neighbour is seriously ill so I do his large lawn,too and we have front and back and I also do three grass verges. Ours and two either side. I recently bought new shears,looks like they'll be getting used for the grass in the not so distant future. ....:D

As far as I am aware, Apple don't actually manufacture anything
I knew someone would say that! Nobody manufactures anything these days everything is just assembled from outsourced parts. Yes, that’s probably an exaggeration but on the other hand it was always like that to some extent. Is/was there anyone who could truly be said to be the sole manufacturer of anything? Maybe the USSR where everything including the raw materials was state owned.

At the rate it's going up. they say 200p ,I mean 200.9..lol... will be soon be upon us .I won't be able to afford to mow the lawns. :D. My neighbour is seriously ill so I do his large lawn,too and we have front and back and I also do three grass verges. Ours and two either side. I recently bought new shears,looks like they'll be getting used for the grass in the not so distant future. ....:D

You’ll have to go electric for mowing then. Sadly I don’t think any of the current crop are up to much -- maybe the ‘robotic’ ones if ones lawn(s) are suitable. It’s my “WAMfor the last 20+ years” ! My father had a ‘proper’ self-drive cylinder mower with a 6 volt lead acid battery which did the job until he traded it in for an ’orrible ‘over. The weight of lead acid batteries is inconsequential for lawnmowers (an advantage even) so I never understood why they weren’t more common.

First time I've ever filled more than 20 quid in a bike tank today! That was super unleaded rather than the possibility of E10 so a bit more expensive than the crappy stuff but shouldn't give the problems that E10 does.

WAMT was the richard edward who refused to reverse 10 yards into a gateway so I had to paddle backwards close to 100 yards on the bike. His child now knows a couple of new words...

Think I would have sat there ... pointing out I don't have reverse ...

,looks like they'll be getting used for the grass in the not so distant future. ....:D
Buy a sheep, you can get the milk and when they get a little to old, well you know :D

Think I would have sat there ... pointing out I don't have reverse ...
Yes me too I’ve actually been in that situation meeting a car in a narrow road, I had to explain to the woman driver telling me to reverse into a passing place that a motorbike doesn’t have reverse :oops: :$
But I don’t know what happened in Nods situation though

Life's too short and I'm too nice!!!

Yes me too I’ve actually been in that situation meeting a car in a narrow road, I had to explain to the woman driver telling me to reverse into a passing place that a motorbike doesn’t have reverse :oops: :$
But I don’t know what happened in Nods situation though

That's a bit sexist,Pete..lol..Infact, a lot sexist....This is what you should have written.."I had to explain to the driver....etc.." There are a lot of stupid men driving, ,too...:D

I suppose my comment about the MALE driver above was just as sexist...

That's a bit sexist,Pete..lol..Infact, a lot sexist....This is what you should have written.."I had to explain to the driver....etc.." There are a lot of stupid men driving, ,too...:D

Sometimes I am ashamed to be female when I see some others trying to reverse, or park their cars.
Pete is just stating what happened, no offence taken here or concerns about being sexist

Sometimes I am ashamed to be female when I see some others trying to reverse, or park their cars.
Pete is just stating what happened, no offence taken here or concerns about being sexist

My Mrs can park better than me. In fact the last couple of days, my parking has been atrocious, more akin to an abandoned Audi.

Thanks yes it just happened to be a woman driving as you say was just stating what happened :)

Not my intention was just stating what happened, I’ve seen just as much stupid men driving, this one just happened to be a woman, there was a guy with her it was an open top sports car
It made me giggle to myself

Not my intention was just stating what happened, I’ve seen just as much stupid men driving, this one just happened to be a woman, there was a guy with her it was an open top sports car
It made me giggle to myself
Open top sports car? What's that got to do with anything?
Are you implying now that she was a hairdresser?
You should be ashamed.....:LOL:

Open top sports car? What's that got to do with anything?
Are you implying now that she was a hairdresser?
You should be ashamed.....:LOL:

The poor chap...:ROFLMAO:

Don't take it to heart, Pete..as far As I'm concerned you're amongst the more courteous on here..(y)

Last edited:
Re petrol prices. When we left Gloucester on May 28th I filled up at 167p. (Sainsburys) ..I'm now boycotting adding the point 9..:D At Inverness the day after, we'd stayed overnight near Glasgow ....I filled up again at a BP garage ..185p. . We left Chanonry Point this morning and stopped for a break and lunch at a service station on the ..M80...near Stirling . We didn't get petrol at the BP station there but I saw it was 202p. We've not long arrived at a Penrith hotel for an overnight stay and filled up at 188p.

Re petrol prices. When we left Gloucester on May 28th I filled up at 167p. (Sainsburys) ..I'm now boycotting adding the point 9..:D At Inverness the day after, we'd stayed overnight near Glasgow ....I filled up again at a BP garage ..185p. . We left Chanonry Point this morning and stopped for a break and lunch at a service station on the ..M80...near Stirling . We didn't get petrol at the BP station there but I saw it was 202p. We've not long arrived at a Penrith hotel for an overnight stay and filled up at 188p.
Motorway services are always more expensive. I complained to Costa once as one of their franchises at a major motorway services were about 10p dearer per cup, and didn't take their "Costa Club" cards. They sent me a £10 Costa voucher :coffee:

Fair comment. Why do you think this is the case ,though ?

My wife reversed our car into a parking space here at the hotel we're staying at en-route home from Scotland and it wasn't quite straight. "It looks fine to me" she said when I pointed it out. I do like a quiet life so it's still not quite straight. I just won't look out of our room window at it..lol.

So..I googled it. Seems it's true. https://www.petrolprices.com/news/women-worse-drivers-men/

Motorway services are always more expensive. I complained to Costa once as one of their franchises at a major motorway services were about 10p dearer per cup, and didn't take their "Costa Club" cards. They sent me a £10 Costa voucher :coffee:

Yes, that's true, Steve but all the other motorway prices were at 187-193p.

Well done re your voucher. :)

Fair comment. Why do you think this is the case ,though ?

My wife reversed our car into a parking space here at the hotel we're staying at en-route home from Scotland and it wasn't quite straight. "It looks fine to me" she said when I pointed it out. I do like a quiet life so it's still not quite straight. I just won't look out of our room window at it..lol.

So..I googled it. Seems it's true. https://www.petrolprices.com/news/women-worse-drivers-men/

Thanks for that, I had a a good chuckle at the comments:

Witold

Some bloke:
What puzzles me is that male/female stats don’t seem to take into account miles driven. If a man drives 20k/yr and has one accident – its one accident. If his wife drives 3k/yr and has one accident… its the same, but the accident _rate_ is very different.
Keith

Keith
4 years ago
Reply to Some bloke
We use MILES in our GB not ks.

Witold

Witold
4 years ago
Reply to Keith
K refers to thousands not kilometres

The idiot (Keith) didn‘t even engage brain and so accepted 20 kilometres as a reasonable mileage because he was so obsessed with “miles”. These are the people Boris is pandering to with his ‘crowns’ and ‘ounces’ etc.

Shock horror:

The national average price of gasoline on Saturday was $5.00, up 60 cents from a month ago. A year ago, gas sold for $3.08, according to the AAA motor club. The national average has been at its highest point since March, when it went above its previous record set in July 2008, when oil was trading at more than $133 a barrel. That was more than ten dollars above the current level without even accounting for inflation. Back then, the national average gasoline price was $4.11, or about $5.37 a gallon in today’s dollars.

I think that’s about £1 a litre — US gallon etc :thinking: .

Local pub/campsite playing loud, amplified, live "music" again. We are about 1/2 a mile away and have to have our windows closed to be able to hear the telly. Bikers from all over are regular visitors and speeding is "normal" on the road to the venue. How families with kids cope is beyond me. I'm an ex biker myself but they are taking the proverbial.

Dyson and their sh***y screws. Stripped the head off one and almost the other. Just to remove the battery. There's another dozen screws to undo until I can get to the trigger and replace that part. Two years we've had that Dyson vac and it's already faltering. The other Dyson vacs we've had in the past have lasted us 10 years each time.

I know this is somewhat petty, although it is yet another example of the lack of knowledge of the English language in this country. I can normally let it pass, but seeing it three times in five days is too much.

A commissioned RN warship is normally referred to as HMS followed by its name, for example HMS Daring or if the HMS is omitted, the Daring. HMS stands for His/Her Majesty's Ship and is NOT part of the ship's name. It is becoming more and more common to see 'the' put in front of HMS Daring, as in 'the HMS Daring' as if the HMS is part of the ships name.

Strictly speaking a RN warship should only have the prefix HMS in front of its name when it is in commission, but this is now only strictly adhered to by the RN and MOD. Therefore HMS Victory is correct as she is still in commission as a warship, however HMS Warrior is not in commission and therefore should only be called Warrior, however my understanding is that she has been granted the HMS as a courtesy title because of her historical significance.

I know this is somewhat petty, although it is yet another example of the lack of knowledge of the English language in this country. I can normally let it pass, but seeing it three times in five days is too much.

A commissioned RN warship is normally referred to as HMS followed by its name, for example HMS Daring or if the HMS is omitted, the Daring. HMS stands for His/Her Majesty's Ship and is NOT part of the ship's name. It is becoming more and more common to see 'the' put in front of HMS Daring, as in 'the HMS Daring' as if the HMS is part of the ships name.

Strictly speaking a RN warship should only have the prefix HMS in front of its name when it is in commission, but this is now only strictly adhered to by the RN and MOD. Therefore HMS Victory is correct as she is still in commission as a warship, however HMS Warrior is not in commission and therefore should only be called Warrior, however my understanding is that she has been granted the HMS as a courtesy title because of her historical significance.
How is that a lack of knowledge of the English language?

How is that a lack of knowledge of the English language?
Because you don't know what you don't know.

Of course, if you don't know that you don't know, then you lack the knowledge of what you don't know.

Which implies that you lack knowledge of that wherof you lack knowledge.

Which means,,, :thinking: :headbang:

Because you don't know what you don't know.

Of course, if you don't know that you don't know, then you lack the knowledge of what you don't know.

Which implies that you lack knowledge of that wherof you lack knowledge.

Which means,,, :thinking: :headbang:
Ah, so its not just me then.....God, I'm so annoyed I didn't know what I don't know.
This is going to have severe implications on my future, how will I cope?
Oh wait! I've just realised I don't give a s***.
Real world problems and all that to deal with......:p

The Ocado driver this morning. Refused to bring the shopping into the house despite me being on my own and in a wheelchair. It appears that covid rules are still in place and it's driver discretion as to whether they enter peoples homes but come on!

I should add that it's not been an issue before.

Ah, so its not just me then ..... Oh wait! I've just realised I don't give a s***.
No not just you, I feel the the same about a few posts too :D

The Ocado driver this morning. Refused to bring the shopping into the house despite me being on my own and in a wheelchair. It appears that covid rules are still in place and it's driver discretion as to whether they enter peoples homes but come on!

I should add that it's not been an issue before.
I do hope you have contacted Ocado - clearly that particular driver has no understanding of compassion and appears to be lacking in sheer common sense

I do hope you have contacted Ocado - clearly that particular driver has no understanding of compassion and appears to be lacking in sheer common sense
Yeah, they told me that it was up to the driver. She did say that, if it was her, she would've come in. Not much bloody good to me though! :rolleyes:

Stupid thing was that he wasn't comfortable coming into my house because of covid yet he wasn't wearing any form of PPE and was quite happy to touch the handle of my front door when he closed it. in order to bring the shopping through to the kitchen, he wouldn't have had to touch anything bar the floor with his shoes. I'd even have put on a mask if he'd asked me to.

That's bloody disgraceful Marc. I hope you reported him to the store's manager.

I did just that two years ago in a similar situation with a Sainsbury's driver and heard via the grapevine later that he'd been sacked for doing it with several disabled customers. Like you, I was lucky to have a neighbour to call upon.

That's bloody disgraceful Marc. I hope you reported him to the store's manager.

I did just that two years ago in a similar situation with a Sainsbury's driver and heard via the grapevine later that he'd been sacked for doing it with several disabled customers. Like you, I was lucky to have a neighbour to call upon.
Ocado is an online supermarket so no store manager as such. The problem is that their policy is driver discretion so there is no comeback in that regard.

• Sad
Reactions: Sky
Ocado is an online supermarket so no store manager as such. The problem is that their policy is driver discretion so there is no comeback in that regard.
That may not be entirely true...

Examples of services which must not discriminate against you if you are disabled include services provided by hotels, banks, building societies, solicitors, local authorities, advice agencies, pubs, theatres, shops, telesales, railway stations, churches, doctors, law courts and public transport. It does not matter whether the service is free or has to be paid for.

...https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/discrimination-because-of-disability/what-counts-as-disability-discrimination/#h-access-to-goods-facilities-and-services

Back