WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Just people and I have to say mostly women walking and looking at phones. I was only out about 2 hours pushing someone in a wheelchair but over and over again someone (a woman most of the time) was a real hazard.

Why not just put the phones down lades? Facebook can surely wait until later?

They'll probably reply "We're not discriminating, everybody gets the drop at door treatment!"

I know this is somewhat petty, although it is yet another example of the lack of knowledge of the English language in this country. I can normally let it pass, but seeing it three times in five days is too much.

A commissioned RN warship is normally referred to as HMS followed by its name, for example HMS Daring or if the HMS is omitted, the Daring. HMS stands for His/Her Majesty's Ship and is NOT part of the ship's name. It is becoming more and more common to see 'the' put in front of HMS Daring, as in 'the HMS Daring' as if the HMS is part of the ships name.

Strictly speaking a RN warship should only have the prefix HMS in front of its name when it is in commission, but this is now only strictly adhered to by the RN and MOD. Therefore HMS Victory is correct as she is still in commission as a warship, however HMS Warrior is not in commission and therefore should only be called Warrior, however my understanding is that she has been granted the HMS as a courtesy title because of her historical significance.

Thank you Bobsyeruncle for the laughter emoji and to Andrew for his reply, which I've taken to mean that they understood that my post was very much tongue in cheek and a satirical comment on some of the posts under this section of the forum.

Last edited:
I walked into a table today and banged my knee and my Gosh did it hurt. That was hours ago and it's still hurting and whatever position my leg is in for any length of time it seems to want to stay in that position and moving it is painful and stiff. All that's there to see is a tiny pink spot as if made with a highlighter pen. How can something that just leaves a tiny pink spot be so annoying. I deserve at least to have a massive bruise. Grrrr.

I saw ads for a new version of the Midwich Cuckoos on Sky and was looking forward to seeing it but looking at clips has put me off.

Warning, plot spoilers... In the original story the cuckoo children share the same eye, hair and silvery skin tone but the children in this drama appear to be different ethnicities. The similarities of the children and the differences to their mothers are an integral part of the book. They needn't be white, as in Caucasian or any other way we decide to classify "white" people of course and indeed in the book they're arguably not white as far as I remember and instead are silvery but they could I suppose be any ethnicity as long as they're the same and different to their birth mothers.

I remember another story "Children of the damned" which I think was just a film rather than a book and in that film as far as I remember the children were different races so if the drama makers just couldn't bring themselves to stick to the story and have silvery children because that looks too white and exclusionary then maybe they should have remade Children of the damned rather than The Midwich cuckoos.

Sorry if I'm over thinking this or caring too but changing any integral part of the story seems a shame to me.

WAMT?
Amazon.
I ordered a next day "prime delivery" on Monday.
*now arriving Wednesday*
Its running late now arriving Thursday.
Friday. Oh bugger we seem to have lost that parcel!
Apply for a refund "here"

Refund applied for.
You refund will be processed shortly.
If approved you should get it 5-7 days time :rolleyes:

WAMT though I have just ignored it. Leaving Vodafone and received a letter in the post today — “sorry you’re leaving etc … if you change your mind tell us 2 days before your contact ends, which is 11th June”. Date of letter 11th June, received 17th! Bonkers.

Not particularly surprised at Voda, thery’re all as bad at comes in my experience with NTL, BT, Virginmedia etc that I’ve dealt with.

Even my first “internet“ company Demon Internet on dialup up failed to cancel my account when I left them and I didn’t find out (because obviously I didn’t dial them) until they set a debt collector on me about 2 years later out of the blue — ie no demands for money over the period. I didn’t pay — told them to check if I’d ever connected in the period.

First mozzie bite of the year — particularly annoying, just above the knee :mad:

WAMT? A car insurance renewal quote from LV for £307.00. :eek:

I've been with the for three years now and the price has gone up every year. They said the above is the best price possible - I should get other quotes. So I did.
A quote from Aviva for was for only £130.00, so I added breakdown cover and a courtesy car and it still only came to £170.00. :banana:

Maybe I should put this in WCMUT . . .

WAMT. The way the media talk about today being the longest day of the year.. That's how Chn4 News ended with Matt Frei saying .."and that's the news from Chn4 on this,the longest day of the year" It's the same on December 21. It's "the shortest day of the year"

Is it really too hard to say that today has the longest period of daylight ..(which is defined as between sunrise and sunset) When I moaned to my wife about it she said, with a sigh.."You say that every year" :D

Last edited:
I know the feeling, the loss of proper descriptive language is quite annoying at times :headbang:

Reactions: Sky
I know the feeling, the loss of proper descriptive language is quite annoying at times :headbang:

My problem with it is that it's just incorrect..or as the Americans say..a phrase I like.. "just plain wrong" and it's as though it doesn't really matter or worse, "Let's just call it the longest/shortest day most won't know the difference" They never will at this rate. While I'm on one...:D There's another expression often used here in the media. "Mini tornado" There's no such thing. It's either a tornado or it isn't. Back in July 2005 the Daily Mail described a tornado that hit Birmingham as a "mini tornado" Goodness me..it was rated at EF3 (on the Fujita scale...Enhanced Fujita scale) and can..and on that occasion, did cause a lot of damage. EF3 has wind speeds (internal wind speeds) of 136-165mph. It was sustained for 11 miles causing injuries to several people, trees uprooted and causing extensive damage to properties. Nothing 'mini' about that. They also confuse a tornado where the funnel reaches the ground with a 'funnel cloud' where it doesn't. It hangs in the sky.

I feel much better now....:D

Does the use of the word 'snuck' instead of 'sneaked' annoy anyone other than me?

Does the use of the word 'snuck' instead of 'sneaked' annoy anyone other than me?

Yes ..but then a lot that isn't absolutely correct annoys me :)

It's easier to say than 'sneaked'. Seems it began life in the US 120 years ago. It's strange because we don't say "the water lucked over the kitchen floor...or "the meteor struck across the night sky" "The old wooden door cruck as I opened it" so why has snuck taken on a life of its own ?

C'est la vie :)

While we're on terms, phrases and idioms. This one annoys me.

To "put food on the table"

Eg. " With the huge increase in energy bills I'm finding it more difficult to "put food on the table" . What's wrong with just saying that the cost of basic food items has become so expensive I'm finding it difficult to buy what I used to.

Anyway, in our house food goes onto plates :)

The English language is one of the ones that grows and changes over time but as mentioned some new words are just wrong.

My problem with it is that it's just incorrect..or as the Americans say..a phrase I like.. "just plain wrong" and it's as though it doesn't really matter or worse, "Let's just call it the longest/shortest day most won't know the difference"

Nope, I’m afraid you’re wrong on this one. As I’m sure you really know, in the good old days before Railway Time and gas lighting when proper English was spoke, the day was considered to end at nightfall and the next day began. In consequence the 24 hour ”day” that you are relying on mostly didn’t exist.

However, as usual and consistent with all those jokes in the Funnies thread, your wife at least was correct: you do say that every year! :LOL: :exit:

While we're on terms, phrases and idioms. This one annoys me.
One that gets my goat is "gifted" instead of "gave" or "given" (depending on the context).

"Gifted" is an adjective, meaning to possess gifts, usually in the sense of a talent or skill. So proper use of the word might be "She is a gifted orator, who knows the correct use of words".

People who make such mistakes too often compound their ignorance by referring to "grammar Nazis" when their ignorance is pointed out, :bat:

One that gets my goat is "gifted" instead of "gave" or "given" (depending on the context).

"Gifted" is an adjective, meaning to possess gifts, usually in the sense of a talent or skill. So proper use of the word might be "She is a gifted orator, who knows the correct use of words".

People who make such mistakes too often compound their ignorance by referring to "grammar Nazis" when their ignorance is pointed out, :bat:

Devil’s advocate. I find “gifted” a bit odd too but “gave” or “given” doesn’t convey the same meaning that the item was a “gift” rather than just handed over. An Amazon courier may say he gave me a package but in no sense has he or Amazon made me a gift of it.

Devil’s advocate.
The "correct" form, as I was taught in school, would be "I was made a gift of that" or "I made a gift of that".

If you don't like it - complain to the Scottish education system! :naughty:

I think the 'Americanism' that annoys me the most is the use of the word 'invite' as opposed to invitation. Similarly 'meet' instead of 'meeting'.

Then of course there's 'off of' and . . .

I think the 'Americanism' that annoys me the most is the use of the word 'invite' as opposed to invitation. Similarly 'meet' instead of 'meeting'.

Then of course there's 'off of' and . . .
I fancy that “meet“ (as a noun) is just an older usage —but I’m not certain.

The "correct" form, as I was taught in school, would be "I was made a gift of that" or "I made a gift of that".

If you don't like it - complain to the Scottish education system! :naughty:

It’s longer hence the journalese “gifted”. How do you feel about “storied”? It annoys me a bit but I see it’s usefulness.

As referring to buildings, fiction or tory lies? :naughty:
Assuming you are serious, no, as in:

adjective
LITERARY
  1. celebrated in or associated with stories or legends.
    "the island's storied past"

celebrated in or associated with stories or legends.
"the island's storied past"
Wouldn't the correct word be "fabled"?

(as in "Borris's fabled honesty") :tumbleweed:

AKA in the USA as dust devils :)

Yes..that's what they call them but they're whirlwinds.

It can be a bit stressful wanting everything to be correct and in order where the correct name etc is known..At least I'm aware of my own shortcoming in that regard.:D. I think it was Box Brownie who said, in another thread.."Life's too short". How true.

But they are both whirling vortexes of air.
And comparable, whirlwinds however do tend to be less violent ...
So in effect are mini tornado's

I haven't heard that one. Seems an odd way to phrase it.

The Nazi reference is going to live in our language for years to come. Maybe the next generation will abandon it. We don't need to go back to the Nazis to find a group of people who rigorously enforce rules. Islam has its religious police on such innocuous aspects of life as drinking alcohol, young couples holding hands in public..men and women in areas together...music being played,, length of hair..beards..wearing of hijabs and more.

Maybe the UK isn't so bad after all .I was getting despondent lately. :D

By the way. I wondered where that phrase.'.It gets my goat' came from..The US again. In 1904.

What I found.
A commonly repeated story which purports to explain the phrase's origin is that goats were placed with racehorses to keep them calm. When ne'er-do-wells who wanted the horse to race badly removed it, that is, they 'got someone's goat', the horse became unsettled and ran badly. That's just the sort of tale that gets the folk etymology juices running. Let's just say that there's no evidence to support that story.

Another suggested origin. 'Goats are irritable, so it makes sense that we would use this phrase to talk about people getting irritable. Another theory credits the slang use of "goat" to mean "anger" which was popular around the same time.'

So..no-one knows the origin.

It can be a bit stressful wanting everything to be correct and in order where the correct name etc is known..At least I'm aware of my own shortcoming in that regard.:D. I think it was Box Brownie who said, in another thread.."Life's too short". How true.

Whirlwind is a good word and unmistakably descriptive except if you then try to define it … nearly all winds are circular/spiral in motion but just not noticeable to the onbserver if they cover hundreds of miles instead of yards etc.

But they are both whirling vortexes of air.
And comparable, whirlwinds however do tend to be less violent ...
So in effect are mini tornado's

Whilst the mechanics of a tornado and a whirlwind are basically the same, a vortex of rotating, air it's really misleading to refer to a whirlwind as a mini tornado. Tornadoes are generated by thunderstorms and originate in the clouds and as I mentioned earlier, are classed in severity on an EF (Enhanced Fujita) scale and the categories are established by the level of damage caused. Whirlwinds are generated from the ground on a hot day, by rising columns of hot air. If that term is to be used then it should be qualified. Another aspect is that a tornado's column of air rotates anti-clockwise..they're developed,as I say, from thunderstorms which are generated by low pressure system which rotate anti -clockwise. Whirlwinds can rotate either way.

What you could or might get away with calling a mini tornado is a rope tornado but it's still a tornado. I saw a few on my storm chasing trips.

It occurs to me that this terminology..small tornado.. is in the same category which I mentioned re. June 21st being the longest day. A misrepresentation.

Last edited:
'American English' has its roots in English as it was spoken in England during the C17th and C18th, and from some of the indigenous and other languages the settlers encountered. That's fine by me. I've worked with Americans, I have friends in the US, and none of us have ever had any issues with the way any of us speak English. I've even been known to use a few 'Americanisms' occaisonally (calendar for diary, speak with instead of speak to, freeway for motorway) and even 'South Africanisms' (robot for traffic lights, circle for roundabout, bottle store for off license ...) :D

'American English' has its roots in English as it was spoken in England during the C17th and C18th, and from some of the indigenous and other languages the settlers encountered.
Plus big inputs from Spanish, German and Yiddish etc etc.

That's fine by me. I've worked with Americans,
But have you ever tried to teach one to say Worcestershire sauce?
Hours of fun :D

Back