weekly Wibbly's 2013 52 Week Challenge - Week 8 Time *Now Added*

Good shot - good use of DoF. I think the red/pink 'splurge' down the right detracts a bit from the main focal point, so I would either tone it down a bit (maybe even convert to B+W?) or crop.

This.

It works well as an abstract but that splurge is distracting.

I really like your Sin shot though. To me, the B&W conversion made it look like Tar. Should have a title of "Devil's Dessert".

Ian.

Great shallow depth of Field in this shot, not quite sure what it is that is in focus...is it part of the fence?

Can I ask what camera settings you used to achieve this shot. Ta

Also my eye is draw to the white spot to the left of the sharp part, think I'd get rid of that.

Good luck with the rest of this challenge.

Hi Dave :wave:

Love the DOF.....great detail in the bit in focus though (y) think , as per others, maybe lhs & top & desat the red a bit ?

Hi Dave,
I am late in getting to your 52, apologies.
Good start to your year though, your image for sin is certainly bang on theme but as others have said, I would like to see it in colour. Even quite a desaturated image but just a little colour to introduce the chocolate IYSWIM.

Your season image, again bang on theme but maybe with a slightly wider dof and perhaps a closer crop along the fence. Good wrok (y) Iain

Thanks for all the comments so far good and bad. I've enjoyed the first couple of weeks and looking forward to the rest.

I'm hoping tomorrows selection doesn't require stepping too far outside given the weather conditions :LOL:

As for settings for week 2 I can't remember off the top of my head, it was shot with my 100mm f/2 at around f4 if that's a help, but there was a fair bit of PP afterwards.

I'm looking forward to the rest and commenting on many others as I can, if I miss anyone I apologise now. It's a bit hit and miss at present!

Week 3 Gravity

I have to say this week has been a bit of a struggle for me. No idea why really, as soon as I saw the topic, I thought uh-huh :shrug:

I'm not overstruck on the image, to be honest it's a bit hit and hope and I don't feel as if there's a fantastic amount of creativity in there. Oh well, it's Thursday so I'm panicking that time is starting to run out, so here it is!

Roll on Saturday :)

Week 3 Gravity by mrdaveyoung, on Flickr

Dave, I like it to. Not just for the icicle, but also for that fantastic ice covering on the pipe coming from the tap. The only criticism I could think of: in this case, would a bit more depth of field help, bringing the pipe behind also into focus?

Great shot,

Total agree with Chris above.

Might leave the outside tap dripping tonight.

great shot, but unlike Chris, I think I'd prefer the photo without the pipe, it's kind of taking the focus away from the main subject. perhaps a different angle or shallower DoF.

Thanks all, I really appreciate the comments (y)

Even more so as I've struggled a little for inspiration this week! :thinking:

This is a cracker. Really like the processing: especially the colours. Really sharp on the icicle. Can't see now you could compose it any better.

Crit...none worth mentioning.

Yeah. One of my favourite Gravity photographs.

Cheers.

Nice sharp. Pic good DoF nothing more I can add

This is a cracker. Really like the processing: especially the colours. Really sharp on the icicle. Can't see now you could compose it any better.

Crit...none worth mentioning.

Yeah. One of my favourite Gravity photographs.

Cheers.

Thanks guys, those comments mean an awful lot (y)

Nice sharp clear image. I also like ice on the hose and tap connector. Fine job.

Got one in early this week and it shows a bit :cautious:

I was trying to go for one with plenty of DOF but failed miserably, so this is what I ended up with.

Looking at it, it's not the sharpest photo I've ever taken, and some could argue the wildest thing about it is the PP which I have gone a bit OTT with :LOL:

Oh well, it's given me some food for thought this week with regards to learning more about DOF and hyperwotsitthingiemajic distance :LOL:

Week 4 - Wild by mrdaveyoung, on Flickr

It certainly does look a wild bit of woodland, and yes the PP is quite wild! Only comment is, the path seems an important compositional element (if it is a path, leading back and to the right), and it doesn't really jump to the eye. Can it be lifted at all (sorry, don't know anything about PP really!)?

Agree with Lynne on the gritty feel, just a little dark in the bottom right corner if I'm being picky.

Sorry - running a bit behind now with C&C

Season: The only thing I think of when I see the tap is, wonder if it survived or has burst (probably because we have just replaced outside tap, not through bursting but dripping and no way to replace washer, it is well wrapped up in an old towel which hopefully will keep it snug now).

Great shape on the ice and nice composition.

Wild: Love the processing, reminds me of those ancient prints done with wood carvings and then inked - can't remember what they are called

Love the shot, not keen on the PP, but that's just personal taste I think. It really does look like a pencil drawing to me! Compositionally, I think it works well. There's some framing going on and the path leads the viewer through the image. It works very well in B&W.

Ian.

Space - Abandoned Space...

I've seen these a few times on my trundle to and from work, and liked the colours and natural decay of them.

Tis a shame I couldn't completely remove the flats from view, but I just couldn't get a shot of the garages without them in view :shrug:

Space by mrdaveyoung, on Flickr

Like the doors but a different angle maybe :thinking: nice blue on the doors they do look abandoned (y)

Good spot - peeling paint, broken gutters, missing stones, litter... great abandoned space... (y)

As it's only a small area - a bit of blue sky from the same time and direction shouldn't be too hard to "insert", as I agree the flats don't have the same feeling of neglect about them as the garages.

Cant add anymore to whats been said above but great take on the theme!

Hi Dave, I like your wild shot with the confusion of intertwining branches, contrast and winding pathway into the wild. I went for a similar take for space. Good colour, light and perspective. The dilapidated, rotting doors adds to the image. I would be interested to see it in B&W to give the full run down effect if that was what was intended other trhan just to highlight space.

Back