weekly XFile2708s 52 Challenge for 2014 - week 12 added

Name
Marcus
Edit My Images
Yes
Originally I was going to pass on doing this but I really do need the motivation to regularly take pictures.

I won't be sticking to the 'themes' but will be getting out and about when my disability allows and posting pics for C&C on a weekly basis (thats the theory anyway)..

I'm very much into street/candid and have dabbled with 'still life' when I started my 365 last year.. so hopefully they'll be plenty of those types of shots along with other types to keep the thread interesting :)

The street/candid will primarily be using my Lumia 1020 phone and anything else will be using my Sony A57..

Cheers.. Marcus

If week one is taken with a phone then that is a cracking shot i like it very much.

Thanks hun - yes that was one taken with the Lumia 1020.. its supposed to be one of the best camera phones on the market and so far I've been really pleased with the images its taken.. its also much easier for me to carry around for the street stuff than the DSLR.. :)

Thanks hun - yes that was one taken with the Lumia 1020.. its supposed to be one of the best camera phones on the market and so far I've been really pleased with the images its taken.. its also much easier for me to carry around for the street stuff than the DSLR.. :)

Yes I can Imagine I had a lumia 820 but sold it as I needed funds at the time. I use a iPhone 4S at the moment, but I do want to get my hands on the 1020.

Yes I can Imagine I had a lumia 820 but sold it as I needed funds at the time. I use a iPhone 4S at the moment, but I do want to get my hands on the 1020.

Its my first time with a Windows Phone but for me the most important thing this time around was the camera functionaility and in the majority of reviews I read this 1020 came out on top.. really pleased I took the plunge :)

Week 2:

Here I wanted to take an image of something thats been with me for almost 30yrs now - having been disabled since birth I've had to use a walking stick since the age of just 13 - so where-as a lot of things have come and gone over the years this has always remained with me.. im sure if it could speak it'd have a lot of tales to tell as well.. lol

Independence
by XFile2708, on Flickr

Great photos, love the one of your hand on your walking stick. Hope this 52 week challenge is easier or more suitable for you to keep up with than the 365 challenge. PM me on FB when you've posted your next photo and I will head over here to have a look again.

Nice image of your long and faithful companion.

Ooh er misses... lol Thanks Mandy - took me quite a few attempts to get the shot I wanted - wasn't the easiest of things to do, positioning my hand/stick where I needed to, leaning over the camera to check the shot and then using the remote whilst keeping as still as possible so's not to blur the shot.. lol

Great photos, love the one of your hand on your walking stick. Hope this 52 week challenge is easier or more suitable for you to keep up with than the 365 challenge. PM me on FB when you've posted your next photo and I will head over here to have a look again.

Cheers Claire - yes hopefully this challenge will be more achievable than the previous 365 I attempted.. (y)

Hi Marcus
Week #1 I don't have a smartphone so no idea how you control exposure, focus etc. but I do like this composition in what looks like a difficult lighting situation
Week #2 - good topic. A bit bright on the hand which has lead to a loss of some detail, but good dof. Would like to have not seen it cropped so tightly - perhaps a bit more at top and bottom to make a square crop :thinking:

Hi Marcus
Week #1 I don't have a smartphone so no idea how you control exposure, focus etc. but I do like this composition in what looks like a difficult lighting situation
Week #2 - good topic. A bit bright on the hand which has lead to a loss of some detail, but good dof. Would like to have not seen it cropped so tightly - perhaps a bit more at top and bottom to make a square crop :thinking:

Thanks for dropping by Alan - I've not really looked into the advanced settings on the Nokia 1020 - so really most of the shots are just point and click and then pop it into one of the apps to tweak the colours etc (y)

I was struggling a bit with yesterdays shot - ended up having to resort to using the built-in flash so's to eliminate the blur I was getting.. that unfortunately took some of the colour/detail out of my hand which went against what I was trying to achieve by taking the close up shot..

I think its a shot I'll give another attempt to another time and put into practise what I learnt from trying the shot yesterday along with peoples feedback on here :)

:wave: Marcus, good luck with your 52

1st image ........you can almost hear her thinking...... 'now what did I want' :thinking:. Trouble is, I've been there and I'm only in my late 40's :D

2nd image, well executed Marcus (y). I can imagine, as say, that it wasn't the easiest of shots to get right :)

:wave: Marcus, good luck with your 52

1st image ........you can almost hear her thinking...... 'now what did I want' :thinking:. Trouble is, I've been there and I'm only in my late 40's :D

2nd image, well executed Marcus (y). I can imagine, as say, that it wasn't the easiest of shots to get right :)

lol thanks for stopping by matey - i've only just turned 40 and regularly get those moments.. so sounds like theres no hope for me.. lol

Week 3: Similar to most places in the UK im sure, its been attrocious weather wise here today... so thought I'd grab my home-made Light Box and grab a shot... sods law when I switched the desk-lamps on one of the bulbs blew - so I was only working with one spot-light and the flashlight from my mobile phone.. lol Anyway heres the shot (y)

Timeless
by XFile2708, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Marcus -
I am not sure what to say about that as I don't know why it is on its side and it makes viewing awkward. It looks very clear and clean in parts - the top buttons and knibs are very well caught. The numbers and links in the strap look good - but those electronic displays are a b ....r to get clear. Shiny too, without much blown out. Nice shadow on left, emphasising the asymmetry.

Hi Marcus -
I am not sure what to say about that as I don't know why it is on its side and it makes viewing awkward. It looks very clear and clean in parts - the top buttons and knibs are very well caught. The numbers and links in the strap look good - but those electronic displays are a b ....r to get clear. Shiny too, without much blown out. Nice shadow on left, emphasising the asymmetry.

Yes it is horrid weather i am thinking i may have to buy my self a boat if it keeps up. I love this shot but i think i would prefer to see the whole off the watch in the frame.

Thanks for the comments guys - I took several images from different angles and from within different positions in the lightbox and this was the image that I felt captured the most detail... I was contemplating putting together a triptych image which maybe might have worked better.. I'm yet to put together one of these though so maybe later on in the challenge I'll look to revisit the watch image and put together a triptych for C&C (y)

Well its not cheating - just pp to get the best out of the potential of the shot.
I think that it is better because it is easier to 'read' the whole shot. My first comments may not be as clear as I meant them to be because I was meaning that the brain expects certain things to be certain ways in order to comprehend and on its side it found it difficult to interpret. Still liking the detail (y)

Week 4: The last couple of weeks I've been in and out of a lot of threads in the old school Talk Film section over here on TP - so last weekend I managed to acquire this little beauty and it'll certainly be featuring a lot more in some upcoming threads (y)

Olympus OM10 SLR Camera
by XFile2708, on Flickr

Thanks Mandy - this is the first shot I've taken as RAW (normally they've all been JPG) and then put into Lightroom to try my own processing.. glad you like it (y)

Great photos of both the watch and I love the camera shot,mas Mandy said, the composition is great :).
Don't forget to keep letting me know as n when you've posted another photo as I do not get on here as often as I would like to!

Great photos of both the watch and I love the camera shot,mas Mandy said, the composition is great :).
Don't forget to keep letting me know as n when you've posted another photo as I do not get on here as often as I would like to!

Thanks hun - as I mentioned to Mandy above this was my first time using RAW and Lightroom - so I'm glad you both liked the shot (y)

Hi, Marcus, I won't comment on all, but overall, I do like the processing. They are IMO, all a tad right in the frame.

I'll pop by now and again (y)

Cheers.

Hi Marcus, keep the images coming :) people and street is about as far away from anything I shoot you could get, so I struggle to offer anything in the way of ideas :thinking: what I will say is, you seem to manage it well (y)

Like the Olympus OM10, I have one stuck in the loft, should dig it out really, have a go with it :thinking: one thing I will add, I took a few photos of mine a while back (advertised it on here but no one was interested ) and used white card as a plain bg, the contrast between camera and bg really stood out :)

Hi, Marcus, I won't comment on all, but overall, I do like the processing. They are IMO, all a tad right in the frame.

I'll pop by now and again (y)

Thanks matey - im coming from a background where I've always enjoyed photography but only the last 12mths or so started self-teaching myself DSLR photography.. so im very much in the mind-set that images are to be centered and need to get myself in the creative mind-set where generally off centre is more appealing.. if that makes sense.. lol

Hi Marcus, keep the images coming :) people and street is about as far away from anything I shoot you could get, so I struggle to offer anything in the way of ideas :thinking: what I will say is, you seem to manage it well (y)

Like the Olympus OM10, I have one stuck in the loft, should dig it out really, have a go with it :thinking: one thing I will add, I took a few photos of mine a while back (advertised it on here but no one was interested ) and used white card as a plain bg, the contrast between camera and bg really stood out :)

Thanks Phil - its one of those areas that fascinates me and always seems to give you something completely different to your last shot.. you should step outside your comfort-zone and give it a go sometime.. :D

Another good street image from you I like it keep up the good work.

Thanks Mandy - appreciate you stopping by as always (y)

Last edited:
Hi there....I saw the the link on the 52's, and thought I would take a look ..... I really like the street pics a lot ....the black and white is a great choice, and you have chosen perfect titles for them. I also like the walking stick one .... it's simple, yet eye catching. I have added a link to your thread, so hopefully I will keep up with your challenge....good luck :)

Hi there....I saw the the link on the 52's, and thought I would take a look ..... I really like the street pics a lot ....the black and white is a great choice, and you have chosen perfect titles for them. I also like the walking stick one .... it's simple, yet eye catching. I have added a link to your thread, so hopefully I will keep up with your challenge....good luck :)

Thanks for dropping in Susie - glad you like the street pics (y) Its by far my favourite style so im sure they'll be plenty more to come as the challenge progresses (y)

Good luck with the 52 Marcus... will be popping in now and again :)

One thing I have noticed, do you do any of them in colour :thinking:

Thanks matey - some of my future shots for this challenge will be definately be colour (certainly architectural type shots and landscapes) but with the street photography I generally prefer the majority of my shots processed in B&W (y)

For this weeks shot I went with one of the titles used for the general 52 week challenge which was 'Play' - for me this wasn't the easiest of shots to take using both hands to hold the PSP and try to take the shot lol

Pickup n Play
by XFile2708, on Flickr

YAY !!!!

True to your word... a colour one :D

Lol yes I had to go for a colour image this week - by popular demand.. :D

I love it and i can see how it would be tricky to shoot and hold the console at the same time, and a great game got to love good old sonic the hedge hog.

Cheers Mandy - yes you can't beat the old classics.. I'm very much a Sega fanboy from the original Master System onwards (y)

Back