Beginner 【Help】I'm designer but newbie in photography, Need Help for buying a Camera.

Name
Niki
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Recently I’m ready to buy a camera before I always use iPhone to taken photos, that’s okay but I want to start a series career you know, go art direction, street shoot, fashion series etc.

I’m a designer, basically, I’m a newbie in the photography field. So I’m indeed a bit confusing about camera choose.

I really need your help and tips.

However, I use the camera mainly for below directions:

* art direction

* street shoot (yeah I love street photography), travel,lifestyle etc.

* fashion shoot, I’m also a fashion style blogger, fashion brands model and also my personal fashion brand model. So I need camera for lookbook something like this.

* taken photo shoot for my work so I can scan to the computer. I draw a lot, make collages, also make some craft object. But the iPhone shoot not very clearly and professionally.

* I’m super love black and white photography. During past time I have taken lots of bw photos via my iPhone. Color photos also my type just more passion for bw tho.

So I have some questions:

1. based on my above directions, do you have any camera recommend?

2. What’s the most and core points when choosing a camera I should consider?

3. my budget is below $1800, $2000 is my upper limit. So is there any good fit camera?

4. Ideally, I’ll take the camera anywhere while I go out or travel, so I know lighter more better. BUT based on my above directions, do you think should I buy an SLR camera or Mirrorless camera?Any camera recommend?

5. I attached some of my fav photography, please forgive my silly question, but is this possible to see which camera they used? I love these style and color tone too much. Here the reference link: https://www.pinterest.com/nikistudio/for-camera-reference/

Well I guess for now that’s it.

Really really appreciate you guys help. Big thanks in advance.

Let me know if you have any question or anywhere not clearly, and sorry for my English :)

-N

Fujifulm X-T20 with a prime 23mm F2 for street, and 18-135mm for travel. Both can be used for fashion, and the X-T20 is small, but great quality results.

You can pick them up used on eBay readily enough.

Alternatively, a Ricoh GRII for street- small and great quality and cheap. And a Fujifilm X-T10 with kit lens for fashion and travel.

Last edited:
I’m a designer…

This is where ALL your problems will begin!

Being a designer means your are way more critical in everything 2D.
The best way to produce with the same expectations from a pen or a
brush — WYSIWYG — is to go the DSLR path.

The system, whichever you choose, will support ALL your ambitions
and critical approaches to 2D production adding, to your usual vector
graphics techniques, the fascinating world of pixels.

Creativity, props, lighting ... three ingredients that come up near the top of the list. I believe you've got the creativity.

You can't go far wrong with the camera. Perhaps a good start would be to visit a camera shop, look at the above mentioned Fujifulm X-T20 and some Four Thirds bodies, let us know which ones you like the size and feel of.

Go to a shop and try some out, come back if you have any more specific questions. It's virtually impossible to buy a 'bad' camera, and the truth is cameras really aren't that important (noobs get sucked into thinking they are simply because they're expensive).

What qualifications do you have as a 'Designer'?
What do you design?
I designed missiles.. no on really cared how pretty thy looked.... my hair-dresser on the other hand designed hair styles.... his customer's did.
I had to know a lot about physics and aerodynamics and stuff like that, my hair-dresser, even there, had to know a lot about chemistry and scissors and things...
SO much of the job was in knowing how to apply the tools, not just picking them.
If you have a look around on here,people do some wonderful work with a smart-phone..... buying a 'fancy' DSLR wouldn't necessarily make their work any better, and even f t could, whether they now how to use it, would make far more of a difference.
So, like so many, I think you are starting at the wrong end..
Many folk here come on asking what camera, expecting that buying a 'professional' grade camera will automatically make their work a 'professional' salable money making standard.... but that's NOT what it takes.
It takes the know-how... as well as the inspiration.. and if you have to ask "What Camera suggestion is not even knowing that much, its the know-how that's the lack, not the hardware.
I suggest you sign up for a photographic course, to learn how to take photo's, start with what they say you need to do the course by way of camera kit, and spend a couple of years or more learning the craft of how to get pictures you like out of ANY camera...
Then, the question will likely be redundant, and you will know the answer, if you don't already have gear that will do the job you have in mind, AND the know-how to get it..
Otherwise, you may as well, buy whatever has the best sales pitch in the shop... you will get results with it as good or bad as 'chance' and your diligence to read the instructions permit.
Turn the question on its head... I have a brilliant camera, what pencil would you reckon 'best' for me to make a living as a a (Graphic?) 'designer'? Get the sort of idea?

4. Ideally, I’ll take the camera anywhere while I go out or travel, so I know lighter more better. BUT based on my above directions, do you think should I buy an SLR camera or Mirrorless camera?Any camera recommend?

My contribution is this - Think again about what you want to take pictures of and how you're going to do it, think about what you're going to do with your pictures (view on screen or print and how big etc.,) do more research and then - Go Mirrorless :D

Mirrorless may or may not be the future but perhaps it's a better way to go for younger people and those interested in both still photography and vid and you can use just about any lens ever made and what you see is indeed what you get.

Hi guys,

So I have some questions:

2. What’s the most and core points when choosing a camera I should consider?

-N

Once you narrowed down to a few cameras you feel is right for your needs. Forget specifications of each camera, never mind if one camera is faster than another, never mind if one camera got higher ISO than another, never mind if Brand A got something Brand B don't have. Forget specifications.

Go to shops, present your list of narrowed down cameras, ask to have a look at them.

Pick up those cameras, hold them, find out how you feel about them. Too big for your hands? Too small for your hands? Too heavy? Too bulky? Can you manage reaching for the controls with your fingers? Is viewfinder easier for you? Can you change lens with ease? Test them out.

It's same with cars. Any cars can get you from A to B, regardless of their specifications, what matters is you sit in one and test drive it, and decide if you're comfy sitting in it.

When you have narrowed down your choices, the core point of choosing a camera is pick it up and see how you feel holding it. You need to be happy that you can handle 'that' camera you tried out.

Hope this advice helps you make a final decision as to which camera you want, when you have narrowed down your choices of cameras.

Back