100 Strangers **Complete** 15th July 2016.

The thing that catches my attention in a person is not necessarily how they look but it could be what they are wearing or a splash of colour.
I can't quite put into words why I am drawn to a person sometimes. Obviously with some the attention grabber is obvious :D

Are you finding yourself looking for more interesting characters Simon?
I mainly shoot in London so there is never a shortage of people but even then I can go out for hours and not make a single portrait!

Well, I try not to but I'm invariably drawn to those people who aren't typical visitors to the reserve. There are plenty of shy middle-aged males with a 'scope over their shoulders who keep their heads down and stride hurriedly from hide to hide. Stopping those people can be difficult, more so because they're less obviously interesting. And then once I've stopped them I'm less inclined to walk with them to a more scenic background or take so long over making their portrait. If I'm going to stick to my guns then I'm going to have to try harder.

Well, I try not to but I'm invariably drawn to those people who aren't typical visitors to the reserve. There are plenty of shy middle-aged males with a 'scope over their shoulders who keep their heads down and stride hurriedly from hide to hide. Stopping those people can be difficult, more so because they're less obviously interesting. And then once I've stopped them I'm less inclined to walk with them to a more scenic background or take so long over making their portrait. If I'm going to stick to my guns then I'm going to have to try harder.

I can imagine it's a little difficult to mix things up a bit with those portraits. By their very nature, I would assume most visitors are dressed for the environment in natural coloured clothing to blend in to the background?
With your location based project Simon, are you torn a little between documentary portraits and trying to make portraits with 'a twist' for want of a better expression?

Have any got in touch? None of my first dozen or so have.

Some have contacted me through Facebook, using their portrait as a profile picture, some have messaged me on there and a few have emailed me too.
For most though, I think it's just a moment in time perhaps forgotten about almost immediately. Unless there is some connection from them, perhaps them liking their photograph on Facebook, I will never know.

With your location based project Simon, are you torn a little between documentary portraits and trying to make portraits with 'a twist' for want of a better expression?

Very much so. It would be relatively straighforward to do more environmental portraits, having the figure much smaller in the frame as part of a composition involving hides, benches, bridges or interestingly shaped trees. However I get to do that kind of detailed directing & posing stuff with other folk: one of my main reasons for doing the project is to improve my interactions with strangers and to capture character & expression.

It's still early days, though. I may be unable to resist mixing things up a bit.

Its been such a long time since I was last out shooting my 100 strangers project but today i remedied that with a visit to Camden Market.
It seemed a little like hard work to get going today, and if Im being honest most of my portraits this latter part of the project have felt that way too.
Anyway, results are posted below.

172:200 Strangers - Pam
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I saw Pam and her brightly coloured knitted hat browsing the stalls in Camden Market.

Pam from London is a newly qualified pilates instructor.

"i've just finished my pilates instruction course and I wish to make my living at something which I love doing. That would be my ideal."

"Why me?"

I explained to Pam that I first noticed her hat and the light within Camden Market.

"What, my light?" says Pam with a smile, clasped her hands together and a bow!

Thank you Pam and good luck with your wish!

Pam was a little reluctant at first but on explaining the project and giving her my card she agreed.
There was still a little shyness from Pam. Perhaps not surprising that she felt a little self conscious having me make her portrait in the middle of a busy Camden Market.

Pam
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Pretty girl, cool takes and
I love your renditions of her!

I have a face for radio..

Cool, I never hear that one!

I was told I have a FM voice…
no one ever gone so far saying

I had a profile for for TV. ;-(

Beautiful shots as usual, Iain, made all the more interesting by the little stories attached. Keep going!

Thanks Jenny, the stories behind the photographs are what really interest me the most.
Its quite difficult at times to not sound as if I am interviewing the person by firing questions at them :D

I should just cut and paste this message from before!
As again, its been such a long time since I last visited my project but I managed yesterday to get out and about around Covent Garden before work. Quite a successful day, met some lovely people and made some photographs too.

Results are posted below.

173:200 Strangers - Alison
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Alison and her sense of style stood out amongst the crowds in Covent Garden, so I just had to ask to make her portrait. After a little discussion about the project, she happily agreed.

Alison, a secretary working in London was having a day out accompanied by her Mum.

"I'm treating my Mum to a day out for her birthday!"

I asked Alison what advice she would give to her younger self?

"Think more about your actions beforehand!" she said with a smile towards Mum.

Thank you Alison.

174:200 Strangers - Stratis
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Stratis standing outside a bar having a cigarette accompanied by a friend. It was again, his sense of style which caught my eye initially.

Stratis is from Greece, where he has his own company Salty Bag. Quoted from his company website:

"Salty Bag makes hand-crafted travel goods by upcycling decommissioned sails into elegantly designed, reusable fashion accessories."

I asked Stratis what makes him happy?

"Sex" he replied!

"No, a good book makes me happy." He said.

A good book, I enquired, before or after sex?

"Both!"

Thanks Stratis.

175:200 Strangers - Christina
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Christina and her colourful coat stood out on what was a grey day around London.

Originally from Austria, Christina now lives and works in London.

A little reluctant to have her photograph taken at first, I asked Christina to take a seat at a nearby restaurant table. We tried to make a smiling & non smiling portrait but she couldn't keep a straight face, so smiling it was!

"If things go the way that I want them to happen then I'm happy!"

Thanks Christina.

176:200 Strangers - Rachel
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Rachel is from St Albans where she is a student. Visiting London for the day, she was on her way to meet her daughter for lunch.

I asked Rachel if she had a motto in life?

"Not a motto as such but I get anxious at times and I have just finished reading a book by Susan Jeffers; Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway!

That would be my motto, feel the fear and do it anyway."

Thank you Rachel.

177:200 Strangers - Andi
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Andi and her striking red hair walking with a purpose but dared to ask to make her portrait anyway. She looked like she was in a rush and I wouldn't usually interrupt someone going about their day but decided to ask.

Andi is from Hungary but lives and works in London with the BBC.

I asked Andi what her future held for her?

"I would like to be living happily by the seaside."

Somewhere in the UK?

"Haha, no, somewhere warm!"

Thank you Andi.

There is something quite unusual and pleasing
about this face… or it may be just your take of it! ;-)

Thanks Daniel, Rachel was a lovely stranger subject, I'm glad this shows through in her portrait.

Cool guy (good avoiding flares!) and…
I like the colour of her hair and smile!

Thanks Daniel,
Stratis was indeed cool, completely up for my making his portrait, he 'got' the project and was happy to pose.
Christina, again a lovely subject, if a little self conscious about having her portrait made in the street in front of so many people in central London.

What a awesome project and a Stirling job your doing keep it up

What a awesome project and a Stirling job your doing keep it up

Thanks Phil (y)
I intend to complete this second round of 100 and then park the project.
Move onto other project(s).

Cheers!

Hi, Iain, Pam, what a beautiful lady with an very engaging smile.

Stratis, another engaging, yet, I feel a rather cheeky smile :)

Cheers.

:)
Thanks Andy, Pam certainly had something about her. Not just in her looks, can't put it into words but just a vibe.
Stratis was a wonderful character too!

Cheers

:D:D
You always choose such striking subjects, or, is it you making them look striking? Lovely shots as usual.

I generally find a location/background Jenny, then wait for someone to walk past who catches my attention for whatever reason.
It is usually what the person is wearing, hair colour or maybe something a bit less discernible. Some people just have something about them which you can't quite put a finger on but makes them approachable.

Sometimes though it just doesn't work out. For example, I was out shooting at the weekend, found a backdrop that I wanted to use and waited. It wasn't an area with a lot of footfall so had to be patient. A woman walked along who I thought would make a great subject, I approached and made my usual introduction. She looked at me in confusion and I realised I didn't even know if she could speak English. Thankfully, as I have zero skill in any other language, she could understand me, I just needed to slow down so as my Scottish dialect could be interpreted :D

In order to assist, I gave the woman my card, which she looked at and said she didn't like Facebook where I also post my project.
She also asked that could she see the photos after taking, in case she didn't like them and would I delete them? Yes, of course.
I thought this'll still be worth it for the portrait in front of the backdrop which had lovely light.

I asked her to stand in the best spot and thought just a couple of frames and we'd be done but looking through the viewfinder, the strap of her multi coloured rucksack jarred against her dark clothing. I asked if she would be so kind as to put her bag down but was met with a look of reluctance. I think she thought I was going to pinch her bag and this was some elaborate street robbery :D

With that I decided that I didn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable and would cut my losses. I thanked her for her time. Never did get the shot in front of that backdrop haha.

Iain choses models with 'something' about them, then polishes them with wonderful light :)

Thanks Andy (y)
Kind of you to say.
Don't know why I told that story above haha. It didn't really answer Jenny's question but I just thought I'd share. It's good to talk!

Today, I paid another visit to Shad Thames which is on the south side of the river near to London Tower Bridge to continue my 100 strangers project before work.

On a previous visit to the area, I happened to notice this little alley which cuts through from Shad Thames to the walkway on the river bank.

This just so happens to have been my Mum's name, who knew they'd named a London street after her. Makes me smile every time I see it now.

DSC_1718-2-2.jpg

Results of today are posted below.

178:200 Strangers - Magali
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Magali is from Barcelona but now living in London. A yoga teacher, Magali was on her way to teach a class when I saw her walking along Shad Thames, near to London Tower Bridge.

I asked Magali what made her happy?

"Love!"

A simple one word answer with a big meaning which required no further explanation.

Thanks Magali.

Last edited:
who knew they'd named a London street after her.
Excellent :D

And yet another image that's a credit to you, I really don't know how you do it Iain but you do, every time (y)

Excellent :D

And yet another image that's a credit to you, I really don't know how you do it Iain but you do, every time (y)

:D As far as I know, my old Mum never set foot in London yet she has her own street named after her.
Maybe there's an inheritance somewhere waiting to be claimed. I will still visit the forum even after I've become the proud owner of Tower Bridge ;)

Thanks for the kind comments on my photography Chris (y)

I will still visit the forum even after I've become the proud owner of Tower Bridge ;)
I know a guy that's selling London bridge if that's any use?

:D

Back