100 Strangers Complete!!

I'll comment later.... but just shamelessly bum,ping the thread to raise it above the quagmire of 52s.

One thing I will say.... remove the logo. This is not commercial photography. No one will ask you to shoot a wedding as a result of this project... but you might get interest from other quarters... ones where watermarks and logos are frowned upon.

Thanks for the bump @Pookeyhead David, interesting comment about the logo.
What other quarters are you thinking of, just out of interest?

Do you compare your shots against each other?

With such a broad collection, it's clear that some stand right out as superb shots against others. I "liked" a pair of shots of Cleo on the previous page. For me, I love the detraction from your usual full frontal headshot. If only her eyes were open in the first, and her mouth uncovered in the second they'd be perfect (that tattoo though is a great catch). They still stand out as excellent portraits to me.

Glad to see you're still keeping on!

Dunno.. if developed, it may be a book, gallery show etc. That kind of market, when you start heading into contemporary practice, publishing and art based photography doesn't really do the whole watermarked to death, don't steal my images kind of thing, as let's be honest... these are not the kind of images that get used commercially without your consent. The logo is just a distraction that ruins the image.

With such a broad collection, it's clear that some stand right out as superb shots against others. I "liked" a pair of shots of Cleo on the previous page. For me, I love the detraction from your usual full frontal headshot. If only her eyes were open in the first, and her mouth uncovered in the second they'd be perfect. They still stand out as excellent portraits to me.

Agreed... this needs an edit.

With such a broad collection, it's clear that some stand right out as superb shots against others. I "liked" a pair of shots of Cleo on the previous page. For me, I love the detraction from your usual full frontal headshot. If only her eyes were open in the first, and her mouth uncovered in the second they'd be perfect (that tattoo though is a great catch). They still stand out as excellent portraits to me.

Thanks Ian,
The extra shots of Clio were grab shots really as she was engaging with her friends on the sidelines.
I took them on the fly so to speak. I agree with your comments entirely but don't have the shots with those points corrected.

It's something that's developing for me as the project has progressed. That is, when I first started out on it, it was mainly a case of get the shot I was after, head & shoulders and move on. I have come to realise that I could/should expand the range of shots I take of the strangers. I have been mainly using my 50mm, not a zoom so I need to work a bit smarter and quicker to get a different perspective. Just take a few steps backward to change the PoV.

Dunno.. if developed, it may be a book, gallery show etc. That kind of market, when you start heading into contemporary practice, publishing and art based photography doesn't really do the whole watermarked to death, don't steal my images kind of thing, as let's be honest... these are not the kind of images that get used commercially without your consent. The logo is just a distraction that ruins the image.

Thanks David.
The logo, as you no doubt realise isn't there for protection of the image, I have placed it in such a place that in Photoshop, it'd be gone in 60 seconds. It is more there to give my images a certain look, for them to be recognised as mine within the 100 strangers Flickr group. I have realised that it isn't required. I have had quite a few people comment that before they even saw the logo that they recognised the images as mine.

I do intend to have a book printed, not for resale or such, just for my pleasure of the completed project. The logo isn't going to figure on any of the portraits outside of Flickr/500px.

On the subject of consent for use. I run into a bit of a brick wall with that. I don't get model release for these. I feel asking for such would really make the whole process clunky and awkward. I am sure I would lose the consent of the strangers to use their portrait in my project if I were to ask them.

On the subject of consent for use. I run into a bit of a brick wall with that. I don't get model release for these. I feel asking for such would really make the whole process clunky and awkward. I am sure I would lose the consent of the strangers to use their portrait in my project if I were to ask them.

There's absolutely no legal requirement for you to have a model release form for these in order to publish them. They clearly agreed to be photographed or they wouldn't be photographed, as they are posed, and they are aware they're being photographed, and they're in public spaces.

In the VERY rare event of someone seeing their image in your book and raising a legal issue of payment, then good luck to them.. it's highly unlikely to be successful, and they patently agreed to be photographed or the images would not even exist, and they'd have to prove such an arrangement was discussed... which they would not be able to. It would be like me taking my car to shows, and expecting everyone who makes any money from a photograph of it to remunerate me accordingly. It would be ridiculous.

Out of courtesy in future, I'd show them the image and jot down an e-mail address AFTER shooting, so you can check if they have any objection or not. Some might, most would not object. Always show them the image after you've shot it... ask them if they mind you using it. Most will say they do not. If you want a release form, then always get it AFTER shooting.

Last edited:
There's absolutely no legal requirement for you to have a model release form for these in order to publish them. They clearly agreed to be photographed or they wouldn't be photographed, as they are posed, and they are aware they're being photographed, and they're in public spaces.

In the VERY rare event of someone seeing their image in your book and raising a legal issue of payment, then good luck to them.. it's highly unlikely to be successful, and they patently agreed to be photographed or the images would not even exist, and they'd have to prove such an arrangement was discussed... which they would not be able to. It would be like me taking my car to shows, and expecting everyone who makes any money from a photograph of it to remunerate me accordingly. It would be ridiculous.

Out of courtesy in future, I'd show them the image and jot down an e-mail address AFTER shooting, so you can check if they have any objection or not. Some might, most would not object. Always show them the image after you've shot it... ask them if they mind you using it. Most will say they do not. If you want a release form, then always get it AFTER shooting.

Thanks David,
Publishing them in a book is my intention. Primarily for my own enjoyment and sense of accomplishment when complete.
Some have said that they would like a copy of the book when complete, this is where I thought the waters muddy a little with respect to model release. If I were to benefit financially from their portraits, thats where i assumed such agreement would be required.

When I shoot the stranger portraits, I give them a card with all my details on it. They can then go and look at my work.
I have only had one stranger change their mind about being included in my project but that was before I published her portrait. It was nothing to do with my photography more about how the young woman felt at the time of taking the shot.
She was in a generally unhappy mood, not wishing to smile for the camera and her little bio alongside her photograph she felt she was quite negative in her words. This was all conducted through email and of course, her photo has never seen the light of day.
It was all very amicable.

Some have said that they would like a copy of the book when complete,

THAT could get expensive!!! :)

this is where I thought the waters muddy a little with respect to model release. If I were to benefit financially from their portraits, that's where i assumed such agreement would be required.

Nope... if there was nothing discussed to lead them to believe they would receive any money. They could try, but it's hugely unlikely to be successful. If you're worried, in future, just show them the image, and ask them. Get them to sign forms after you've shot them if you want, but personally I wouldn't bother. No harm in it though.

Umm are you sure about that because someone took my photo for the same project and he asked me to fill a model release after when he wanted to publish it

The old cynic in me has the answer: publish and be damned, clearly stating all proceeds go to charity. Get 500 printed [probably costs only 50% more than getting one printed] email the 100 strangers offering a copy for say a mere £10+pp. Deduct your printing and pp expenses from your income and donate the remainder [if any].

Last edited:
The old cynic in me has the answer: publish and be damned, clearly stating all proceeds go to charity. Get 500 printed [probably costs only 50% more than getting one printed] email the 100 strangers offering a copy for say a mere £10+pp. Deduct your printing and pp expenses from your income and donate the remainder [if any].
Lol I would offer it for free to all the strangers!

And what would u do with the 100 copies? Sell it. I don't think you can without a model release. Even for charity.

#74:100 Strangers - Daniel
by iain blake, on Flickr

I spotted a location for a stranger portrait earlier in the week and made a mental note to return.

On my return, I didn't have to wait long before the perfect stranger turned up.

Daniel is from Newcastle but has lived and worked in London for around 5 years. On approaching Daniel, he readily agreed to be part of my project. He told me that he actually lived in a flat directly beside this alleyway, how convenient.

Daniel moved to London to be a DJ, but has since moved away from that and is now making his way as a photographer. Mainly interiors photography but he is trying to get into fashion too.

"Fashion photography is difficult to get into, get a break or get paid".

"You might get a free tee-shirt if you are lucky"

"Its my ambition to be a photographer in New York"

"I wish for adventure and to make more money"

Thanks Daniel & good luck!

#75:100 Strangers - Kate
by iain blake, on Flickr

Again, I spotted this background some weeks ago, its a sculpture near Paternoster Square in the City of London. I have visited this quite a few times before finally spotting a stranger to shoot in front of the backdrop.
I spotted Kate, particularly her striking jacket which I thought would be complimented by the background.

Kate lives and works in London. When I asked if she would be so kind as to be part of my project, she agreed saying.

"I have just come from the hairdressers, sure!"

I asked Kate what advice she would give to her younger self?

"Don't take the easy option!"

I asked Kate what the easy option was that she was warning about.

"Law, was the easy option, not for some but with my education/background, it was for me"

I asked Kate what the harder option would have been?

"Something creative, I do love photography too, so maybe a travel photographer"

Thank you Kate!

#76:100 Strangers - Kerry
by iain blake, on Flickr

Kerry from Norwich was walking along with her partner when i approached and asked if she would be a part of my project. I detected a little shyness and surprise but Kerry agreed with a smile.

"I am working with a property firm at the moment but I am going back into education to get the grades I require.

I want to be a children's author/illustrator. I never got the necessary grades before but I am trying now"

Thank you Kerry and good luck!

#77:100 Strangers - Amy
by iain blake, on Flickr

Once again I headed for a background which I spotted a few weeks ago and decided to return to wait for a suitable stranger to come along.

I noticed Amy and in particular her lovely red hair walking along Brick Lane.

I approached and asked Amy if she would be a part of my project, to which she agreed but said she only had a few minutes to spare.

"I dont suppose you know where I could get a needle and thread do you?"

Amy lives and works in London and her job today was a runner for a shoot at the Truman Brewery on Brick Lane. She had been sent out to find a needle and thread.

"This is for one day only, I note take for partially deaf and sighted students at college during the week"

I asked Amy where she would like to be in the future?

"I don't know really, I'm still young enough to work it out!"

Thank you Amy.

#78:100 Strangers - Christopher
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Christopher and his colourful outfit walking along Brick Lane and had to approach and ask if he would allow me to take his portrait for my project. Christopher happily agreed and we just happened to find ourselves standing beside the most appropriate background given how colourful he was dressed.

Christopher is an artist/painter living and working in London. He was on his way to teach at art at a community project nearby.

"Portraits are what I love to paint. I love to paint people but not from a photograph. I much prefer people sitting for me, you get a sense of the person more and can incorporate that into the portrait."

"It is a struggle at times to remain motivated"

Thank you Christopher!

#79:100 Strangers - Maria
by iain blake, on Flickr

I spotted Maria, particularly her lovely red hair walking towards Brick Lane, when i asked if she would allow me to take her portrait for my project. She happily agreed.
Maria is from Greece and has been in London for 6 months. Maria is working but also studying for a Masters Degree.

"I want to combine my love of fashion with economics"

"You never know what will happen, you've got to give it a try"

Thank you Maria!

#80:100 Strangers - Charlotte
by iain blake, on Flickr

Yet again, I spotted a background i wished to use and decided to wait around for a suitable stranger to come along. I hadn't been waiting long when I spotted Charlotte accompanied by her brother Lucas walking along. I asked Charlotte if she would be a part of my project to which she agreed but said.

"It will have to be quick, we are going to join a queue!"

Charlotte is from London and she sells vintage clothes for a living.

I asked Charlotte what her outlook in life was?

"Do what you love and be yourself"

Thank you Charlotte!

Are you deliberately choosing square on portraits? My favourite is Maria, and I think it's because it stands out with a different body position. For me - it has more connection with the viewer than the others which look technically brilliant but that square on "look" detracts from the image. Christopher is my 2nd favourite and that's because of all that colour and the background. The perfect symmetry (and it looks perfect!) de-humanises them a little if you know what I mean. Crap - I'm stumbling over words here. I guess what I mean is that the rest of the images look very much like "this is what the person looks like" rather than "this is who the person is".

Going back a few pages, "Gina with smile" and "Rosie with glasses" and Viola and Gary and Chloe all have a connection that these recent ones don't.

I must stress that this is just my opinion!! The quality of your work is outstanding and your technical ability is superb. It's getting into the more artistic qualities now, which is going to be different for everyone.

#75:100 Strangers - Kate
by iain blake, on Flickr

Again, I spotted this background some weeks ago, its a sculpture near Paternoster Square in the City of London. I have visited this quite a few times before finally spotting a stranger to shoot in front of the backdrop.
I spotted Kate, particularly her striking jacket which I thought would be complimented by the background.

Kate lives and works in London. When I asked if she would be so kind as to be part of my project, she agreed saying.

"I have just come from the hairdressers, sure!"

I asked Kate what advice she would give to her younger self?

"Don't take the easy option!"

I asked Kate what the easy option was that she was warning about.

"Law, was the easy option, not for some but with my education/background, it was for me"

I asked Kate what the harder option would have been?

"Something creative, I do love photography too, so maybe a travel photographer"

Thank you Kate!

Outstanding image Iain. The juxtaposition of the strong background against her jacket. You couldn't have planned a random person wearing a more suitable garment if you tried ! Nice work.

Are you deliberately choosing square on portraits? My favourite is Maria, and I think it's because it stands out with a different body position. For me - it has more connection with the viewer than the others which look technically brilliant but that square on "look" detracts from the image. Christopher is my 2nd favourite and that's because of all that colour and the background. The perfect symmetry (and it looks perfect!) de-humanises them a little if you know what I mean. Crap - I'm stumbling over words here. I guess what I mean is that the rest of the images look very much like "this is what the person looks like" rather than "this is who the person is".

Going back a few pages, "Gina with smile" and "Rosie with glasses" and Viola and Gary and Chloe all have a connection that these recent ones don't.

I must stress that this is just my opinion!! The quality of your work is outstanding and your technical ability is superb. It's getting into the more artistic qualities now, which is going to be different for everyone.

@Harlequin565
Yes, Ian these latest stranger portraits were deliberately posed straight on, I am after that vanishing point background more and more lately. I do get where you are coming from with it though. As in Maria's portrait, the background is still there but she has a more dynamic pose. A little tilt of the head, or turn of the shoulders does make a difference in a portrait, thanks for your views Ian, much appreciated.

Outstanding image Iain. The juxtaposition of the strong background against her jacket. You couldn't have planned a random person wearing a more suitable garment if you tried ! Nice work.

Thanks Nick, I was on the look out for a sharp suited city type to pose in front of this background but then along came Kate and I thought she would be perfect for a portrait. A happy accident but I will take my luck where I can find it.

Now the backgrounds are being considered more, this is really becoming something serious. Your "hit rate" as amateurs would describe it will go down.... but so what... what's the rush?

Hi mate another strong set I would agree with what others have said the background really are wonderful.

I feel the backgrounds are are are almost as important as the main subject matter.

Christopher and Kate especially Kate really really deal standout good job keep up the cracking work and I look forward to getting a copy of the book, I will of course pay :)

Cheers.

Now the backgrounds are being considered more, this is really becoming something serious. Your "hit rate" as amateurs would describe it will go down.... but so what... what's the rush?

@Pookeyhead
Thanks David, the backgrounds have always been considered to be honest. Its just that the 'vanishing point' backgrounds take a little more 'finding'.
Yes, you're quite correct, the hit rate may well go down but that really doesn't bother me because, as you say, whats the rush?

Thanks again for looking in.

Hi mate another strong set I would agree with what others have said the background really are wonderful.

I feel the backgrounds are are are almost as important as the main subject matter.

Christopher and Kate especially Kate really really deal standout good job keep up the cracking work and I look forward to getting a copy of the book, I will of course pay :)

Cheers.

@posiview
Thanks Andy, i agree, the backgrounds are as important as the subject.
I am glad you enjoy the project and I look forward to you having a copy of the book ;)

@Pookeyhead
Thanks David, the backgrounds have always been considered to be honest. Its just that the 'vanishing point' backgrounds take a little more 'finding'.
Yes, you're quite correct, the hit rate may well go down but that really doesn't bother me because, as you say, whats the rush?

Thanks again for looking in.

These backgrounds kick the others into touch easily. To get this level of feeling designed and managed with opportunist shots of strangers takes some doing. The comment wasn't suggesting the others are bad... just that these are the next level. This is strong work.

Post no. 375 looks a little over processed to me though.. is there any softening or diffusion done in post?

Last edited:
I really love the depth to the background on Charlotte, all the lines draw the attention to the subject.

I can only second what David said, it is great work under any circumstances but with strangers...

...envy is probably the only word.

Hi Iain, I do hope they separate the projects thread as it's so easy to miss at the moment.
Loving the last set and I agree about the backgrounds adding another dimension to your wonderful photos. I also like that we are getting a bit more info about some of the people, to me it makes the photo come alive. They are all superb, but I do love Christopher ...I like people who have a quirky style and manage to just 'be themselves' I sense he is that sort of person and the background is brilliant, what a stroke of luck that he came along.
Only 20 more to go for your hundred faces ...looking forward to seeing them all.

These backgrounds kick the others into touch easily. To get this level of feeling designed and managed with opportunist shots of strangers takes some doing. The comment wasn't suggesting the others are bad... just that these are the next level. This is strong work.

Post no. 375 looks a little over processed to me though.. is there any softening or diffusion done in post?

Thanks again David, I do particularly like the portraits with the vanishing point backgrounds I must admit. So much so, I'd like to see through to the end of the project with mainly those very type of backgrounds.
Post #375 hasn't had any more post work done than any of the others. I don't soften or diffuse as such, I do all my PP in lightroom and I tend to lower the clarity slider with females as a matter of course, its a look that I particularly like.

I really love the depth to the background on Charlotte, all the lines draw the attention to the subject.

I can only second what David said, it is great work under any circumstances but with strangers...

...envy is probably the only word.

Thanks Chris,
Please see my comments to David above re the backgrounds, the vanishing point perspective does lend depth to the portraits.
I can honestly say that every stranger I have shot has been lovely. Some are more engaging than others but I come away from the less engaging ones thinking what should I have asked or said to bring them more out of themselves.
I see it more as something that I have to work on rather than the stranger. Sometimes though I just have to expect people are all different. The more engaged perhaps display in their portraits that fact and are a little more receptive to having their photograph taken.

Hi Iain, I do hope they separate the projects thread as it's so easy to miss at the moment.
Loving the last set and I agree about the backgrounds adding another dimension to your wonderful photos. I also like that we are getting a bit more info about some of the people, to me it makes the photo come alive. They are all superb, but I do love Christopher ...I like people who have a quirky style and manage to just 'be themselves' I sense he is that sort of person and the background is brilliant, what a stroke of luck that he came along.
Only 20 more to go for your hundred faces ...looking forward to seeing them all.

Thanks Susie,
I do enjoy the interaction and engagement aspect of this project Susie. Hearing people's stories is the best bit about it to be honest.
I am probably nosey by nature, and I enjoy talking to people.
Christopher was a lovely character, he just 'got' the project, comparing it to his own art in portrait painting. He spoke with such passion about art, it was difficult for me to convey in words what he expressed whilst we chatted.

Been up to London again today to continue with my 100 Strangers project.

It has happened a few times through my project, that a stranger has surprised me with their candidness in telling me their story.
Today was one of those days.

I shot two stranger portraits today, results are posted below. Thank you to Alice and Catherine for agreeing to be part of my project.

#81:100 Strangers - Alice
by iain blake, on Flickr

I was shooting my 100 strangers project in Camden today when I noticed Alicia and in particular her bright red head scarf. Alicia happily agreed to be part of my project.
Alicia is from Barcelona, but has been in London for around 6 months now.
I had to ask Alicia to repeat her name and how it was spelt due to her pronunciation of her name in her lovely Spanish accent.

"Alice"
"Like Alice in Wonderland"

"I am always happy, I write books on how to make others happy."
"Making another person happy is more difficult"

I thought Alicia looked a little like Amy Winehouse, which was a bit of a coincidence seeing as we were in Camden where Amy Winehouse had lived.

Thank you Alicia!

Last edited:

#82:100 Strangers - Catherine
by iain blake, on Flickr

I once again found a background where I waited a short while for a stranger to come along.
I noticed Catherine walking along and thought she had a friendly face. I approached Catherine to ask if she would be part of my project.
Catherine appeared a little surprised at my asking but happily she agreed saying "I don't really like having my photograph taken"
Catherine lives in London.

I asked Catherine what advice she would give to her younger self?

"Take no notice of what others say about you, be your own person."

"What I really want in life is a baby. I am currently having IVF treatment but I am single and going it alone. I have came out of a difficult relationship but wanted a family. I had embryos implanted last week and am waiting to hear the results next week. I have obviously told those close to me about my IVF but never a stranger!"

I did ask Catherine if it was ok to share about her IVF treatment alongside her portrait. Catherine agreed that I could do so.

Good luck Catherine and thank you for being part of my project and sharing your story!

#83:100 Strangers - Emily
by iain blake, on Flickr

I saw Emily walking along chatting on her mobile phone, or more specifically, I noticed her fantastic colourful hair.
I introduced myself and the 100 strangers project to Emily and she happily agreed to be a part of it.

Emily is from Essex and has just completed her first year as a photography student at UCLA.

Her goal or ambition is to be a fashion photographer or social documentary photographer.

Her outlook in life?

"Go for it, and don't hold back!"

Thank you Emily and good luck!

#84:100 Strangers - James
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed James earlier in the day when he was helping a friend unload a van but thought it best not to interrupt as I could see he was a little busy.

After I took Emily's portrait stranger #83, I walked away along an alleyway when I again noticed James walking towards me. This time I made my approach and he happily agreed.

James is from Huntingdon but works in Cambridge. James told me he runs his own recording studio in Cambridge, catering for all genres of music.

He is an artist and a musician playing drums for two metal bands, one in Glasgow, the other in Peterborough.

"I travel to gigs all round the country but would love to do it full-time and not have to work another job alongside. Even some of the bigger bands have to work before making it"

Your philosophy?

"If you want something doing, do it yourself!"

Thank you James and good luck!

#85:100 Strangers - Shuo
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Shuo walking along with her headphones on and thought what a lovely smile she had and a friendly face.

I made my introduction and asked Shuo if she would be a part of my project. A little hesitant at first, I explained the ethos behind the project and where the photographs are posted online. She then happily agreed to have her portrait taken.

Shuo is from China but studying her Masters in Chinese Studies at Cambridge.

Shuo was unsure where her future lay, her Masters could take her all over the world and she is undecided at this time.

"It is a bit of a dilemma, I am unsure what and where I want to be"

I asked Shuo her happiest moment/time in her life?

"My happiest time in life was in Elementary School, I was brought up by my Grandmother, it was so carefree, I had lots of friends and was protected by my family. Family is most important!"

Thank you Shuo and good luck wherever in the world you find yourself!

#86:100 Strangers - Habib
by iain blake, on Flickr

I noticed Habib and his cool style on what was a particularly hot day in Cambridge.

Habib is from London and works with a children's learning foundation which helps children who have been excluded from school get an education.

Habib is an aspiring actor, going along to auditions but having to work in the meantime until he gets a break into acting.

I asked Habib his happiest moment.

"I was a dancer in the opening ceremony to the London 2012 Olympic Games!"

Thank you Habib and good luck with your acting career!

So many beautiful colourful people, makes you feel warm and happy ......

Back