2013 Slimming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes the only fluid I intake maybe a soft drink or juice drink hardly drink any water.

I want to loose some weight (178cm 98Kg) as I too am type 2 diabetic.
I have just had a review from the diabetic dietician and am not overly impressed as she asked me if I wanted/needed support and didnt suggest ideals or targets so it was a bit of a waste of both our time!
I was 75Kg in my mid 20's (20 year ago) and would like to get down there again at some point!
If you are what you eat them Im a ham sandwich, packet of crisps and a yoghurt...
How id everyone getting on in their diet? what are your success stories?

LMAO...well, perhaps a little more

She did make sure I understood portion control and asked if I followed it (I dont, I know its several years of large portions that has put the weight on), she went through a typical days eating habits and then advised on what could be changed or swapped for something a bit better.
When I asked about the trend towards low carb diets which the majority of people on the daibetes forums advocate she warned against it and talked about the body/brain requirement for sugars/energy, So all in all it was an informed two way discussion.

I was disapointed to have walked away from my first visit without an action plan, which is why I felt it was a waste of both our time (brought on because I had to take the afternoon off work for the appointment as their clinic day is 1000-1500).

So, I know that the better advice is not to go the low carb route, and that the simplest way of losing weight is eat less exercise more!

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago or so ago as a type 2 diabetic, diet controlled.

Last August at my review I was offered a free 12 week trial at weight watchers.
My weight then was 20 stone 8 pounds and 6 foot 1 tall.

Started WW and realised some of the theory is quite good. Ignored their ready meals and bought some WW cookbooks.

In the 12 week trial I lost 3 stone. My total loss now is approx 6 stone Weight today 14 stone 8 pounds. (92.5kg)

I can honestly say I have never eaten a more varied and interesting diet. Perhaps I am fortunate that although I have a very sweet tooth I use practically no sugar in my diet. I eat no processed meals everything is cooked at home unless I go out for a meal.

I also purchased the Hairy Dieters (Bikers) cookbook which has some great meals in it.
At a recent check up my

HBAC1 was 4.0 (non diabetic however as a chronic illness the diagnosis remains).

My BP was 105/65

Resting pulse 58,

Cholesterol 3.6.

This was accomplished with the majority of exercise consisting of a normal working day with 1 hour walking the dogs per day.
Just about to add cycling back into the mix again as well.

I have 12 pounds to lose to get to 13 stone 10 but feel this may be a bit to low, so will review when I achieve it.

I can't and won't give medical advice, but I am happy to talk about the types of meals I am now eating if anyone wants a chat or some moral support.

Last edited:
Not posted for a while, still following slimming world, couple of lb to go for 2st off :)

Excellent results Mark!
I'll have to check out the hairy dieters book....

Thanks. :)

the book is really good.

Very good book, I'm having the Lamb, spinach & potato curry for today's lunch.

My wife & I are following the fast 5:2 diet but are currently only doing 1 day of fasting per week (I'm allowed a maximum of 600 calories during the day) and so far I've lost 6lbs in 3 weeks. We have also been preparing all our meals rather than buying ready ones since before Christmas and I think overall I've probably lost nearly 2 stone. The best bit is that my belt buckle has already come in 2 notches and will need adjusting again soon.

We are also doing a bit more exercise as well so I'm sure its all helping

Very good book, I'm having the Lamb, spinach & potato curry for today's lunch.

My wife & I are following the fast 5:2 diet but are currently only doing 1 day of fasting per week (I'm allowed a maximum of 600 calories during the day) and so far I've lost 6lbs in 3 weeks. We have also been preparing all our meals rather than buying ready ones since before Christmas and I think overall I've probably lost nearly 2 stone. The best bit is that my belt buckle has already come in 2 notches and will need adjusting again soon.

We are also doing a bit more exercise as well so I'm sure its all helping

Do you not think 600 calories is a bit on the low side?

Do you not think 600 calories is a bit on the low side?

That is 600 calories on the "fasting" day.

There does seem to be some evidence that occasional fasting does no harm, from an article I recall reading sometime last year.

I just control portions, cut fat and still lose approx 3.5 pounds a week without fasting, and still having the odd naughty meal.

That is 600 calories on the "fasting" day.

There does seem to be some evidence that occasional fasting does no harm, from an article I recall reading sometime last year.

I just control portions, cut fat and still lose approx 3.5 pounds a week without fasting, and still having the odd naughty meal.

It won't "harm" you but do you think losing muscle tissue to supplement 'fat burning' is a worthy cause? Or even necessary?

It won't "harm" you but do you think losing muscle tissue to supplement 'fat burning' is a worthy cause? Or even necessary?

I guess it is down to what people feel comfortable doing.
Personally I wouldn't want to fast even 1 day a week as i don't like feeling hungry.
but it is what works best for each person really.

Tonight I shall mostly be eating a Chicken, mushroom and bean tortilla bake. Ask if you want recipe.

There lies one of the problems with weight loss today - the wrong assumption that our cells work differently to another person.

It's ok thanks :)

Dieting isn't just "cellular though" It s a lot to do with mental attitude and what works for one may not work for another, for any number of reasons.

People always advocate eating fruit to help with a diet.However I detest fruit with a passion, and only eat it when it is cooked with something. I find the taste and texture of a piece of fruit to be quite disgusting.

Yes biologically it will but everyone's attitudes are different so the way we lose weight differs widely too.

oh I wasn't specifically saying he recipe for you k, just throwing it out there for any interested parties:)

Dieting isn't just "cellular though" It s a lot to do with mental attitude and what works for one may not work for another, for any number of reasons.

People always advocate eating fruit to help with a diet.However I detest fruit with a passion, and only eat it when it is cooked with something. I find the taste and texture of a piece of fruit to be quite disgusting.

Yes biologically it will but everyone's attitudes are different so the way we lose weight differs widely too.

oh I wasn't specifically saying he recipe for you k, just throwing it out there for any interested parties:)

I couldn't agree more - if a client doesn't like a certain food, I won't make them eat it.

We should choose the foods that we prefer but live by the cellular principles. That will get the best result physically and mentally.

Been aware of this thread for a while but never posted.

I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and just get fit again! Didn't renew my gym membership this year due to lack of money, and I find I need a lot more motivation to make me go for a run outside rather than going to the gym. I'm doing a 10k in May though and have started training for that :) My diet is fairly healthy but my major downfall is chocolate - I'm terrible! Any advice about alternative snacks, or whether I should just cut it out completely?

Good, high %age chocolate - 70% or stronger (gets a bit bitter at 80+ though!) and little pieces. Self control is the key though - I used to get through a bag (big bag...) of something like mini eggs at a sitting but now have the self control to have just the one. I've had the same bag of Minstrels on the go in the car for a month! From time to time I feel the need but now can just take one (3 times a day after meals!). Alternative snacks include fruit (careful of the acid on your teeth!) and muesli bars - check the panels for sugars etc.

It always made me laugh when a place I used to work installed a gym - people would turn up in their car, park as close as possible to the front door, spend 10 minutes on the exercise bike, shower, have a pint (or 2) then drive home. Meanwhile, I would cycle down to work (just over a mile) in a few minutes (almost all steepish downhill), do my few hours then cycle back up the steep hill (about 10 minutes of hard slog) before the gentle run down to home as a warm down. Free workout!

Not done many weigh ins since christmas - old scales were knackered so got new ones which are probably more accurate but read a couple of pounds heavier! I'm down to 16 1/2 st on the new ones now so will restart regular checks. Problem is that the new scales are mechanical so need the light on to read - old ones were digital so self illuminating. I always weigh myself after the morning "ablutions"/constitutional but before any intake and these days, that's at about 04:30 when Mrs Nod's still in his land!

Plus fruit is high in natural sugars which can still be bad.

Only on the teeth (acidic fruits).

Fructose (fruit sugar) behaves more like pasta in terms of speed of digestion and if taken in a moderate amount, unlikely to be stored as fat. There are of course many many more pages to say on the matter but as a general guideline: do not confused fructose with sucrose. Fruit sugar couldn't act more differently to table sugar than it does.

People get confused with "sugar" and put them all in the same prison...which is understandable but ultimately, wrong.

Good, high %age chocolate - 70% or stronger (gets a bit bitter at 80+ though!) and little pieces. Self control is the key though - I used to get through a bag (big bag...) of something like mini eggs at a sitting but now have the self control to have just the one. I've had the same bag of Minstrels on the go in the car for a month!

Self control when it comes to chocolate is something I don't have! Managed to go without any today though which is a miracle :D

Good for you. Waste of time those bloody things!!!

There are plenty more ways to get fit :)

I do actually miss the gym, but will have to do without for now. You definitely won't catch me rollerblading anywhere haha! :eek:

A Type II Diabetes diagnosis was one hell of a wake up call for me! It now seems that that diagnosis may have been wrong, with the brain tumour causing most of the symptoms and the amount of crap I was shovelling in causing the rather hight blood sugar levels. Got another blood test later this month (or will have once I've organised it) to check that it's still stable and low - if so, the diagnosis will be reversed and I'll just have to be careful with naughty intakes.

Self control is possible but (in my case) was certainly made easier by the potentially life threatening condition.

I do actually miss the gym, but will have to do without for now. You definitely won't catch me rollerblading anywhere haha! :eek:

I can barely manage 30 minutes on a treadmill before I get seriously bored and distracted. Especially with the big, sweaty baldy bloke constantly staring (me in the mirror).

I would much rather run outside, even in all but the harshest of weathers. Had some glorious runs in the snow this year, hard work (like running in soft sand) but beautiful.

I don't know where you live but have you tried trail running? Much more rewarding than pavement pounding around suburbia. The hills are great for the fitness too.

I can barely manage 30 minutes on a treadmill before I get seriously bored and distracted. Especially with the big, sweaty baldy bloke constantly staring (me in the mirror).

I would much rather run outside, even in all but the harshest of weathers. Had some glorious runs in the snow this year, hard work (like running in soft sand) but beautiful.

I don't know where you live but have you tried trail running? Much more rewarding than pavement pounding around suburbia. The hills are great for the fitness too.

I do like running outside too, don't get me wrong :) My home is in Beverley, where I did a 10k last year, but I'm in Leicester for University so it's quite flat!

I do like running outside too, don't get me wrong :) My home is in Beverley, where I did a 10k last year, but I'm in Leicester for University so it's quite flat!

Spent more than my fair share of time in Leicester with work. I used to stay in the Holiday Inn (St Nicholas Circle) 2 or 3 nights a week. I would agree, the city centre is a bit flat and uninspiring to run around.

Spent more than my fair share of time in Leicester with work. I used to stay in the Holiday Inn (St Nicholas Circle) 2 or 3 nights a week. I would agree, the city centre is a bit flat and uninspiring to run around.

Ahhhhthis is where inspiration kicks in!

Jump over things, use benches for step ups jump up and down from small walls etc...

Running is very one dimensional and dare I say it... pretty boring, but using your head to think of how to incorporate sprints, jumps, hops, throws etc can be a bit more self-satisfying :)

I've a stone over the last six months but that's more to do with playing badminton twice a week rather than dieting but I really need to find food that gives me energy and start watching what I eat

Ahhhhthis is where inspiration kicks in!

Jump over things, use benches for step ups jump up and down from small walls etc...

Running is very one dimensional and dare I say it... pretty boring, but using your head to think of how to incorporate sprints, jumps, hops, throws etc can be a bit more self-satisfying :)

Phil, I can barely leap up a curb after a few miles never-mind start jumping about. I would be a bruised wreck doing what you suggest, entertaining for witnesses, maybe not myself though. :crying:

Today's 5-miler was very satisfying though, mixed urban/countryside route. Flat to start, up hill through some farm tracks and foot paths, ankle deep in mud, a swarm a horse flies, then a good down hill bit to finish. Loved every minute.

Phil, I can barely leap up a curb after a few miles never-mind start jumping about. I would be a bruised wreck doing what you suggest, entertaining for witnesses, maybe not myself though. :crying:

Today's 5-miler was very satisfying though, mixed urban/countryside route. Flat to start, up hill through some farm tracks and foot paths, ankle deep in mud, a swarm a horse flies, then a good down hill bit to finish. Loved every minute.

That sounds quite fun...

ive lost 2 stone since xmas because ive stopped drinking in the week,because i cant afford to be a alcoholic.... i joke there, just eating less and walking more seems to be working for me!..

Not posted for a while but took Phil's advice and backed of the exercise a bit and carried on counting the calories with just a walk in the evenings and a 6-10 mile bike ride every few days.

Weight loss to date is 2st 7lb and still going down.

I have learnt it did not go on over night so its not going to come off overnight and there is such a thing as too much exercise.

Just to update the thread:

I'm currently in the process of a new body transformation video.

I'm going from 28% body fat and 85kg to 9% and 66kg in around 3.5months.

This will be achieved with just one hour of exercise per week and a diet of 80% carbs.

So far just completed 3 weeks and bang on my calculated targets of -3.8% body fat and 4.4kg loss.

I will continue my updates both here and my facebook page (personal trainer not photographer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back