365 : A self portrait every day for one year

I know it's becoming cliched, but it's absolutely true - you're an inspiration! By sheer perseverance apart from anything else.

All the best in 2009 for you and the family!

here's to an even better Marcel :beer:

Thanks for an amazing thread Marcel. Although you don't know me from a bar of soap, and I only subscribed to the thread recently I've really enjoyed looking at it each day.

Good luck with Marcel 2.0. If you approach it with the same determination and dedication as you have done with this project, you should be fine.

Cheers.

It's the BIG day today !!

6c4498555jq.gif
6c4498555jq.gif
6c4498555jq.gif

366.365 : The arse end of the year

Marcel Booth posted a photo:

Link to the uncensored version (Possibly NSFW).

Well folks it's time for my journey to come to an end.
My year of self portraits is complete. Over. Finished.

366 photos of me.

It's been quite an emotional rollercoaster if I'm honest. I've had my ups and downs, my laughs and my sadness, but above all, it's been great fun.
Sure, there have been plenty of days where I thought "Arrgh, I want to go to bed, but haven't done today's shot!", but I've perservered and stuck with it.

I'm so glad I did though, because it's been quite an achievement, if I do say so myself.
It's actually hard to be imaginitive and creative with a photo every single day. Even harder if it has to be about one particular subject. (ie. Me)
I've had days where I haven't had a creative bone in my body. Yet I've also had days where I've spent ages setting up a shot, or hours doing the post processing to get it just right.
I've enjoyed both types of day, as they have all made up my 365 journey.

I kept a list next to my desk where I would write ideas down. Sadly many of them didn't make it. This was mostly due to my procrastination and the fact that they required quite a bit of setting up. I'll photograph this list to share with you later :)

Im not sure what else to say really. I've had today planned for a while. I knew I wanted to do it naked. "BUT WHHHYYYYYYY??????" I hear you cry..."FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHYYYYYY???".
Well, three reasons. One, it's a laugh, and we all need more laughter in our lives. Two, it's my way of saying that I've laid bare in this 365 and this is the final bit of 'me' that I have to show. Metaphorically you understand.

Finally, three (and more importantly), it's because I want to be comfortable with my body, with my self image. Which was what my 365 was originally about.
I have a body, it's naked under my clothes...OH MY GOSH! *Puts hands to face in mock drama motion*
So what? It's a body, it's nothing special, why hide it away? Why be ashamed of it? We all have one, we're all different, and who cares what it looks like?
We should all be happy with what we were given. We can tweak and adjust our bodies with exercise, dieting, surgery etc, but in the end, we have to be comfortable with who we are.
Don't be ashamed with what you've got. Every single person is beautiful to someone else...even the fat ones like me :D

I suppose this is quite hypocritical of me, considering my 'new start' and 'Marcel 2.0' for the new year. Here I am telling you to be comfortable with yourselves, and I'm making efforts to change myself.
That said, my changes are more at being able to come to terms with myself, and come to like myself for who I am. To be able to say 'this is me...like it or lump it'.
No more worrying what people will think of me if I say something, or do something. No more pandering to others opinions of me. No more.
This is me, this is who I am. If you can't deal with it, then you're a hindrance to my life.

Anyway, back to my 365.

Sadly, it's come to an end....but has my life changed much over the year?
I'd say yes, and not entirely for the better either. I've put on weight, I've gotten into a bad routine (sleeping, eating etc). (That is, until New Years Day when I started Marcel 2.0. Now it all changes of course.)
I must admit I had high hopes at the start of my 365 last year. I had plans to lose weight, I had plans to do this, that and the other. Well, alot of it didn't happen, and the canny ones amongst you will notice I'm making similar promises this year.
However, I think that this year is different, this year is about steely determination. About changing the person within.

The 365 has taught me I have friends out there, people who like me for who I am. Not for what I can do for them. It's taught me that I am loved by many. My family love me immensely, despite all my problems, or how I look.

I'm loved. I'm happy. I'm great.

Thankyou to every single one of you who have taken the time to take part in my 365, from watching with stifled giggles as I ran about like a loony at York Cathedral taking my multi-me shot ;), to just browsing every now and then, all the way to taking the time to comment on (and Flickr-fave) my photos.
I would have given up long ago if there wasn't a reactive audience to do it for, so thanks for keeping me going :)
All your kind words and thoughts have been a tower of strength to me, both on Flickr and Talk Photography.

So to my Flickr and TP friends, thankyou.

What's in store for 2009? Well, apart from the new me (which is going really well thanks!), I need to think about returning to work, as my youngest has just started school.
I did think about going back to college and studying psychology, as it's something that really fascinates me (the human mind). However, looking at the course fees, I think that may be a no no.
Should I take my photography full time? Many people say yes. I don't think I have the confidence too. Besides, I'm not sure I want to anyway, it might ruin a really enjoyable hobby.
Will I do another 365? No, not at the moment. While it's been an enoyable run, it's also a double edged sword.
Quite often, it gets to night time, my wife heads off to bed with "I'm going to bed, are you coming up anytime soon?". My reply being "Can't, haven't done my 365 yet". Cue another late night as I faff and mess around.
Now I have no limits. I'm in bed by 11pm every night. Nothing I 'must' stay up for, so that is helping greatly.
I may do a 52 week project, a bit like a 365 but, er, weekly instead. Not sure yet though.

I will admit though, towards the end, I've enjoyed the writing of the posts, a little bit more than the taking of the photos if I have to be truthful. I enjoyed being a bit philosophical, while being open and honest about my life, and the thought that went into some of the points I made.

So there we have it.
366 days.
366 photos
1 LR catalogue
899 outtakes (even more deleted)
about 2000 shutter actuations
2 Mobile Phones
2 Webcams
1 Family
1 Life
1 Man
1 Arse
A few frowns
Some tears
Unlimited smiles :)

090103_5845

More...

Haha... how did we all somehow know that your last shot would be something like this...? Great shot Marcel... and great 365, congrats on completing an extremely enjoyable thread.

Kudos to ya...

Wow, I salute your bravery sir! :D Thanks for the last year Marcel. Here's hoping you can achieve all you want to for 2009! (y)

Kudos on the nice pooper. Your 365 has been a real inspiration, and I don't often say that around here as I'm sure almost everyone will attest to :) But it is. Solid photography over the year but its one of those projects that is about more than just photography. Seriously well done.

Last edited:
Kudos on the nice pooper. Its been a real inspiration
(caught before he edits it)

And the 2009 best post award goes to....

Seriously though Marcel big congrats and respect for making it through the year :) Hopefully you will be able to look back at them all and have it bring back memories of a year of your life.

Well done Marcel, that must of take some effort to do the whole year, :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well the bare face cheek of it all....

Kudos sir, well done on finishing the year, and in such a "let it all hang out manner"

You will not know what to do with yourself now...

Cheer

Nigel

Very brave last image Marcel. I feel you have finished your 365 in style. It has been great to keep upto date with your daily photos and i have really enjoyed it.

Hmm, what with that picture of Marcel and the one of you in the gimp mask, "jealous" isn't exactly the word I would use! :p :LOL:

Its ok. Drop me a PM if you don't want to publically discuss it. I have another mask just for you honey. :naughty:

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

If I could have made it bigger I would have Marcel... :naughty:

Serious respect for so many reasons - you're frank and open approach to this project for starters and for sticking it out and seeing it through... :clap:

I have been less than diligent in keeping up with my postings but have popped in and kept track of all your doings... :D

Inspirational, thought provoking and a real insight into the real Marcel... ;) ... thanx for taking us with you 'all the way' Marcel... :ty:

But really... :naughty: ... that last shot was taking things a bit too far... t ... :eek: ... :LOL:

Congratulations on completing your self-imposed ordeal...

:p

Marcel, I have always wanted to say this to you.

Bloody Arse!!!

Seriously, well done :D

Gary.

A cracking end to a great series Marcel :clap:
You have my admiration for laying your self bare like that
No, No I don't just mean the last image either :D
and for having the perseverance to see it right through to the end
Having run out of puns I will just say cheers and bottoms up! :D

I hope this isn't going to start a trend of naked male self portraits appearing on the site. Where's the exit? :puke:

Great job Marcel (y) You're going to wake up tomorrow and wonder what to do with yourself.

Is that what you call a bum shot?!!! Well I suppose you had somewhere to hang the flag!!!

Seriously Marcel it's been a totally fantastic thread. Really inspirational and M8 I salute you.

Marcel,

I joined this forum fairly recently so missed the start of your project. However, I the other night I started at the beginning (intending just to have a quick look) and got hooked. I ending up sitting up half the night to finish it!!

I have been absolutely enthralled all the way through and also fascinated by the glimpses you let us have into your life.

I feel privileged to have followed this thread and would like to wish you the best of luck in 2009 and for the future. Well done.

:clap::clap::clap:

Huge congratulations on finishing your 365 Marcel...and in such superb style!! :LOL::clap:

It's been a fascinating and addictive read from beginning to end - the best thread I've had the pleasure to read on any forum. (y)

My (wife) Lou and I wish you and your family all the best for 2009 too.:)

At the point of me writing this... this thread has 70 pages, 2074 replies and has been viewed 67,712 times!!

Truly amazing statistics, for what has been a truly inspiring thread. I have enjoyed catching up with this whenever I have been away from TP.

Marcel you have done yourself proud and deserve all the congratulations you have received. You have stuck with this and given us all a fascinating insight into your world.

I like many, many other people on TP will really miss this!

Thank you so much for sharing your 366 with us.

Regards,

Lee.

:clap:(y)

Congratulations Marcel, I've read all your descriptions of your photos, some are plain bonkers :D, some are very moving indeed. You have some amazing shots in there, and all the best for your intentions in 2009. You are truly inspirational (y)(y)

Marcel,
Congratulations and what a finally.
I wish you all the luck in your for the next 365 days, were there new Marcel 2.0 can be free from the demand a 365 takes. I do hope that you succeed in which ever career you do go into and yes, Photography would be a good one for you.

It has been a pleasure to have commented on the 365 and my only regret is that I picked up on this too late, I wish I found this 366 days ago when it all started.

Congratulations Marcel :clap: :clap: It's been a great following your flickr stream all year long!

Back