Daily 365 Photos 2013.

Thanks, Matt! Another reason I was so happy with this photo today is that it's "wrong". The composition shouldn't work... it's wrong. Or so was drummed into me at college! It drummed all creativity and passion out of me that I eventually left and have only recently picked up the camera again. It's wrong. The composition shouldn't work. It'd have me pulled to the side and forced to justify myself in college. But I like it :D

Sitting here trying, for the first time, to make origami cranes for day 4... it's harder than I thought...

Sitting here trying, for the first time, to make origami cranes for day 4... it's harder than I thought...

WHAT???? It takes me all my time to fold paper into four never mind make a bl**dy crane out of it!! :LOL: Well young lady it looks like it is going to be another fantastic shot tomorrow :D

and if they dont work ...... make planes :D I can help with those :LOL:

hahah! Yeah, I can't seem to cut an A4 sheet into a perfect square which is setting me up on the wrong foot right from the start!

I can *see* this photo perfectly in my head.... so if I come even close, I'll be happy lol!

ruler would be out for me and id even get that wrong i think lol

I have issues drawing a straight, up and down line with a ruler because I can never tell if the ruler itself is sitting straight o_O But, I've got 6 cranes now haha. I'll probably make a few more... not sure how many I'm going to need/want.

i like the use of the negative space to the left. it looks to me as though your mum is concentrating very hard.

Excellent negative space! I really like this, and I love candid stuff!..

A nice start Toni, I espcialy like the sentiment of #1 and prefer Day 2's outtake. Have to say I don't think I could take a candid of a stranger from that close, although I don't mind a snipe from a distance ;)

Love the composition on day 3, it's one I've used myself a few times, but you'll always get the purists telling you it's wrong :). Breaking rules is what makes photography (and life?) interesting :)

i like the use of the negative space to the left. it looks to me as though your mum is concentrating very hard.

Excellent negative space! I really like this, and I love candid stuff!..

A nice start Toni, I espcialy like the sentiment of #1 and prefer Day 2's outtake. Have to say I don't think I could take a candid of a stranger from that close, although I don't mind a snipe from a distance ;)

Thanks everyone! It's nice getting feedback, good or bad, so thank you for going to the effort of leaving some for me :D

---------------------------------------

365+post+banner.png

I had the idea for this last night. Out of no where, it came into my head and I set to work making the cranes.
I had never, not once, in my life made an origami crane... I'm quite artistic and creative but things like origami have never been one of my strong points; it's too small and fiddly. I have enough of a time of it making those small paper stars (they featured in our wedding; a lot of those were made!). But I done it, eventually.

And I'm very, very happy with how this turned out.

The Crane may conceivably be the oldest bird on earth; there is fossil proof that they existed over 60 million years ago. Greek and Roman myth tended to portray the dance of cranes as a love of joy and a celebration of life. The crane was usually considered to be a bird of Apollo, the sun god, who heralded in Spring and light. Throughout all of Asia, the crane has been a symbol of happiness and eternal youth. In Japanese, Chinese, and Korean tradition, cranes stand for good fortune and longevity because of its fabled life span of a thousand years. Existing in fifteen species which inhabit five continents, the most majestic is the Japanese Crane which stands almost five feet tall with its wing span of more than six feet and its white body capped with its red crown. The Japanese refer to the crane as “the bird of happiness;” the Chinese as “heavenly crane” believing they were symbols of wisdom. The powerful wings of the crane were believed to be able to convey souls up to paradise and to carry people to higher levels of spiritual enlightenment. Over time, the crane has also evolved as a favorite subject of the tradition of paper folding – origami. It is said that a thousand folded cranes, one for each year of its life, makes a wish come true.

Once I knew I'd got todays shot, I continued playing a bit and broke out the Lensbaby Muse. I'm still very, very rusty with this but I like to think I'm getting somewhere... and I like the results!

Oh yeah I really like that (y) I think maybe for fun I'd have cloned out the strings but even with them a truly effective image (y) I really like them both, Ironically although really differently we have both done birds today :LOL:

Both great shots (even though you were only messing about with the 2nd) The idea of cloning out the strings is good and would make for a very surreal image :) Great shot again Toni :D

Oh yeah I really like that (y) I think maybe for fun I'd have cloned out the strings but even with them a truly effective image (y) I really like them both, Ironically although really differently we have both done birds today :LOL:

Thank you! I'd contemplated taking the strings out but decided to leave them in. The paragraph about cranes was important to the image; they're seen as a symbol of luck and happiness. I've had a tough time of it for as long as I can remember and am only just getting back on my feet and stable and am this close to being truly *happy*. So, I suppose the cranes represent me and the strings represent the fragility of my happiness currently. It's there... but it still needs to be supported. Deep ;) :LOL: I'm off to catch up with everyone now!

Nice work Toni

Thanks Vince! (y)

Both great shots (even though you were only messing about with the 2nd) The idea of cloning out the strings is good and would make for a very surreal image :) Great shot again Toni :D

Thanks Carol :) Despite what I just said in reply to Matt, I was still going for a little bit of a "surreal" edge.. but gripping onto reality. If that even makes sense? Haha!

Yes it does :) well to me and you it does :LOL: Love the symbolism you spoke about between the cranes and yourself :D

Hah! Thanks Carol :D

I want to take a self portrait tomorrow... all I have to work with for that, though, is the kit lens (don't want to attempt it with the 50mm just now!) so not quite sure what I'll be able to get (I love my dof!)... And I've never shot manual nor anything other than a stretched-arms-head-shot... might have to read up.

I have an idea... roll on midnight!

edit: Whilst I'm here, can someone help me out RE: flickr? Whenever I upload an image, it has tomorrows date attached to it and I have to manually change it... my cameras date is set correctly :\

OMG We have created a monster!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
:LOL:
Mind you , it keeps us all on our toes as well ..... anticipation :)

edit: Whilst I'm here, can someone help me out RE: flickr? Whenever I upload an image, it has tomorrows date attached to it and I have to manually change it... my cameras date is set correctly :\

Check that you have the time zone set correctly too (y)

i like the fact you made the birds ..well done you are very creative

Well done Toni and extra points for making the cranes as well :) Going that extra mile for the shot.

Oh, that's excellent, love the background too

i like the fact you made the birds ..well done you are very creative

Love the cranes, origamis a bitch isn't it :)

Aww thanks guys! I think yesterdays (it's after 12! I have day 5 ready to upload lol) was my "comparison" shot... you know what I mean? The shot you get *perfect*, exactly how you want it... and every shot from there on out is never quite there in comparison? :LOL: :bonk:

edit - actually, no about having day 5's... I have *a* shot... but I want to take a portrait or 2 of my husband tomorrow so may prefer and choose one of those instead.. hah!

Last edited:
Loving all the shots so far. I'd probably choose the jump shot you discarded! Don't know why but I prefer the background, just don't know why. I think the background suits the processing better.

Thanks Conor! I immediately discarded it and moved to a different spot purely for the location at the start... but I think I prefer the background in that one too now!

--------------------------------

365+post+banner.png

This was a pretty fun shot to get. It was initially going to be a self portrait but I'd decided to use my 50mm. That, along with the lack of tripod and space, made the "self portrait" part of that quite hard. So I called on my husband to stand in for me! And I think I prefer it. I think he makes a stronger figure in the image than I would have. I'm happy!

I love the light in this photo. Our home is set out that all of the rooms are off the living room. So with every light in the house turned off, I used my iPhone to light him in the way I wanted to.

And just a random portrait, again of my husband, from today! Not sure if I should've picked this for the 365 or the one I did pick but... oh well!

The first one is abso-bl**dy-lutely wonderful :D what a great shot that is :D GREAT JOB Toni :D
and as for No. 2 ..... WOW look at those stretchers!!!! :eek: amazing :D and what lovely kind eyes he has :)

Great shots the pair of them :D

Last edited:
I think that they both work for different reasons (y) I know this is maybe a little wrong the the second did amuse me a little as the ear thingies, so no idea what they're called as there not really my thing, but I love how they're sort of mirrored with the bokeh shapes in the background of the second photo (y)

Matt

The first one is abso-bl**dy-lutely wonderful what a great shot that is :D GREAT JOB Toni
and as for No. 2 ..... WOW look at those stretchers!!!! :eek: amazing :D and what lovely kind eyes he has :)

Great shots the pair of them :D

I think that they both work for different reasons (y) I know this is maybe a little wrong the the second did amuse me a little as the ear thingies, so no idea what they're called as there not really my thing, but I love how they're sort of mirrored with the bokeh shapes in the background of the second photo (y)

Matt

Thanks guys! Haha Matt, just "stretched lobes" :LOL: My lobes were bigger than his at one point :LOL: his are 34mm there, mine used to be 45mm. Then my right lobe had a freak accident with a bottle of vodka and a particularly sturdy branch of a tree... now I just have the one and wear 30mm jewellery although I could probably quite easily fit up to about 42/43mm in. My stretched lip is bigger than his though ;) Random info for you there :shrug: :LOL:

But yes, thank you!!

Still thinking of switching my current gear (500D, 50mm 1.8, kit lens) for 5D, 30mm f2, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8... Got a bit of money coming in February and then a tiny bit more in March (both together is less than 1k so it needs real thinking through lol) so got to work out how best to work it, especially as I'll need to get CF cards too.

Wish I could hire a 5D for a couple of days before to see if it's the move I want to make.

Last edited:
That first image is brilliant, loving the use of the negative space in the second

Thank you!! :D

Ugh, my 50 1.8 is on its way out. Granted, it's not the best at AF... but this is just silly... I'm going to be left with the kit lens very, very soon at this rate. Roll on February...! :shake:

Love the cranes & the text with it - really interesting. Love the mono shot today too - esp the lighting.

Thanks Lynn!!

As I just mentioned in T's thread... I keep wanting to use this thread like a journal too :LOL: So here I am, at just after 5am, and I may have day 6's photo in the camera already :LOL: waiting to see what I get from the rest of the day before deciding!

Off to my mother's for Sunday dinner so not a lot of scope for a good shot but we'll see! Then on Monday morning, I'm off to my sister's in Northern Ireland for a week... I got hold of a bunch of photography magazines and books I'll be dragging along with me! But I'm dreading it... I'm going to LOVE spending time with my 1 year old nephew but I know I'm going to want to take 987654 and 1 photos of him. I usually do just fine with my 50mm but it really is on its last legs; I'm not sure how it's going to perform in that situation anymore! We'll see... it has to last until mid-February!!!

Back