Daily 365 Photos 2013.

Thank you! This was as much of my face that I could get in the frame handholding the camera with the 50mm lens but I do really like it!

Have an idea for tomorrows photo... another selfy... but the focusing the camera, putting it on timer then getting in place is what gets me with anything other than handholding. Exposing manually too... how do I focus and expose correctly for a selfy!? Anyone?

Top arms length selfie - I'm a big fan of those for when there is nothing else :)

Just a shame you didn't get the focus on the nearest eye, but it's not that easy when you can't see what you're doing, I know :)

Hi Toni. Just catching up on your last 4 or 5 from the cranes right through to your self portrait. All lovely stuff, particularly like your husband in the window shot. Took a bit of creativity to come up with that. Your self portrait is a bit special too. Hope you are enjoying sunny Derry/Londonderry!

Great SP and the processing really works with it.

Thanks!!

Top arms length selfie - I'm a big fan of those for when there is nothing else :)

Just a shame you didn't get the focus on the nearest eye, but it's not that easy when you can't see what you're doing, I know :)

Thank you :) I might have tried a lot more than I have if I didn't have to dislocate my arm almost to get at least some of me in the frame :LOL: I think if the focus had been on the nearest eye, it would've looked soft anyway because of the haze from the back lighting.. ah, I don't know haha.

Hi Toni. Just catching up on your last 4 or 5 from the cranes right through to your self portrait. All lovely stuff, particularly like your husband in the window shot. Took a bit of creativity to come up with that. Your self portrait is a bit special too. Hope you are enjoying sunny Derry/Londonderry!

Thanks Phil! I've forgotten what sun is ;) :LOL:

-----------
365+post+banner.png

Day 09. Murphy. by Toni Darling Photos, on Flickr​

I'm tired today. Really tired. I'm sick of being tired! But I still made myself get up and walk my sister's dog. He's adorable :)

how cute is he and great shot there :)

Thanks guys :) He wasn't happy that I was waving his best friend (his ball!) by my head whilst I told him to stay where he was hahaha.

Aww thank you Colin!! And you, T :D Look at the bokeh! Hahah (I really dislike that word... :thinking: )

Have I mentioned how lovely the members of this forum are? No? Well, they are :D

And I know these aren't for the 365 project but I wanted to share them... I was talking to Carol (was it last night?! Losing track of my days...) about how things like this were my ultimate weak point... but I think I like these 2 photos. Nothing like the results others have posted around this place but I like them. Maybe :LOL: (shared from fb cause I haven't uploaded to flickr yet!)

320954_10151367788037962_891391286_n.jpg

This is from standing in my sisters double doors out to the garden...
303564_10151367787867962_1782860486_n.jpg

Thats the thing with each and everyone of us ..... it is what we think as beautiful that counts :D These are beautiful Toni .... the colours are so restful especially the top one .... Great work :clap:

Thanks Carol :D I like the bird and the small amount of clouds in the colour in the 2nd one. I waited ages for a bird then 98765456789 came at once hahaha. Then waited ages until there was just 1 in view, in the right place :LOL:

Loving the 2 portraits! The self portrait especially. Love the processing on it.

And thanks for sharing the 2 extras, a couple of nice shots there. Your others are much stronger, but everyone has their week points, in fact I think mine are quite similar to yours. I'm pretty rubbish at landscape photography especially! Something I'm working hard on improving though, but it's difficult when it doesn't come natural.

Last edited:
Thanks Carol :D I like the bird and the small amount of clouds in the colour in the 2nd one. I waited ages for a bird then 98765456789 came at once hahaha. Then waited ages until there was just 1 in view, in the right place :LOL:

that always happens :LOL: then they fly around while you wait for them to go.... seems to take forever...... by that time Ive forgotten what I was shooting :LOL:

Loving the 2 portraits! The self portrait especially. Love the processing on it.

And thanks for sharing the 2 extras, a couple of nice shots there. Your others are much stronger, but everyone has their week points, in fact I think mine are quite similar to yours. I'm pretty rubbish at landscape photography especially! Something I'm working hard on improving though, but it's difficult when it doesn't come natural.

Thank you! :D Landscapes are just a foreign language to me... I look at all the landscape photos and am just left feeling like :thinking: :shrug: :bang: :shrug: :clap: hahah! No where have I ever seen something that others are able to produce! It's just not something I have the "eye" for if that makes sense!?

that always happens :LOL: then they fly around while you wait for them to go.... seems to take forever...... by that time Ive forgotten what I was shooting :LOL:

Ah yes... :LOL: if only they did as we wished, when we wished!

murphy is so cute..!! well done

Thank you!! :D

Thank you! :D Landscapes are just a foreign language to me... I look at all the landscape photos and am just left feeling like :thinking: :shrug: :bang: :shrug: :clap: hahah! No where have I ever seen something that others are able to produce! It's just not something I have the "eye" for if that makes sense!?

I know exactly what you mean. I can manage nightscapes to an extent, but landscapes are foreign to me too.

What a cutie - a bit more space for him to look into would have been good - but I know it's not easy. Don't take direction well at that age :D

That's a gorgeous shot! Love the processing too, it has an ageless feel. To add another train of thought, rather then keeping space on the left I think a square crop would really suit that photo.

More of these please! :)

YAAAAAY!!!!! you got him Great shot and well done

He is adorable!.... lovely processing too Toni

What a cutie - a bit more space for him to look into would have been good - but I know it's not easy. Don't take direction well at that age

That is cracking agree a little more space on the left of frame would really help but still good

That's a gorgeous shot! Love the processing too, it has an ageless feel. To add another train of thought, rather then keeping space on the left I think a square crop would really suit that photo.

More of these please!

Thanks guys! With a hideously quick on his feet 14 month old and a terribly slow, on its last legs lens... it's about as good as it's going to get haha! :LOL:

Now I know this isn't 365... but it's a lot more comfy in here than it is out in the big wide forum!

I'm hoping to buy a 5D next month... with the left over money, I can afford to buy *a* lens. If nothing hideous happens to our money for a while, I should be able to get all of the ones I'm looking at within a few months. They're nothing terribly expensive or fancy but they're ones I like the look of... I shoot 99% prime and have had the Canon 50mm 1.8 on my camera for well over a year (almost) exclusive. "Almost" exclusively because I hired a 17-55mm 2.8 lens for 2 weeks over the holidays. Liked it for photos of the kids but still prefer my primes. I will, of course, want something like this eventually but want to get my basic primes first... I don't even know what the full frame alternative to this lens is. Anyway. I'm rambling.

I've only ever had the 50mm 1.8 on a crop sensor. So not only do I not have a clue what this would be like on the full frame camera, I don't know if I'd need all of the primes I'm looking at. You know what would be *extremely* helpful? If there was a photo somewhere of a set up. Say, the photographed object at one end and the photographer at the other end so you can see where both object and photographer are when the photos are being taken. Then example photos of the same thing from the same place of all the different lenses... asking too much? :LOL:

I'm looking at:
35mm f2 £189 (will eventually upgrade)
50mm 1.4 £269
85mm 1.8 £279 (will eventually upgrade)

And now Practical Photography has me lusting over the 40mm pancake...

I don't have a clue what to do. I can afford the 5D and 35mm f2 next month, the 50mm 1.4 in March and the 85mm in April.

But that 40mm pancake is pretty... But I don't know if I'll need all of those!? :bonk:

Will the 85mm on the 5D be close to what 50mm is on my 500D? I don't have a clue. This is where that handy website I don't think exists would come in handy! :LOL:

That crop is sooo much better.

As for the rest - don't have a clue I'm afraid :LOL:

I'd probably go for the 35mm to start with tbh.

I'm lusting after the 70-200 2.8, but at about €1400 - it's a long way off yet :(

Phew, just catching up Toni & you've got some great shots over the past few days, I love the light in your self portrait and the one of the dog.
As for the lenses, 50mm is really nice on the full frame of the 5D as is the 85mm, so you won't go wrong with either.

That crop is sooo much better.

As for the rest - don't have a clue I'm afraid :LOL:

I'd probably go for the 35mm to start with tbh.

I'm lusting after the 70-200 2.8, but at about €1400 - it's a long way off yet :(

I'm not sure which crop I prefer! I kind of like that the first one is "wrong". It works for me and is one of his mum's favourites at least lol but I really like the square too!

35mm is a definite and the only one I can afford at the same time as the camera.. For the price of them, I suppose I'd be as well getting them all!

The 70-200 is a beast :LOL: I'm not sure if I'd have enough use for it to justify the price tag.. isn't it used a lot in weddings?

Phew, just catching up Toni & you've got some great shots over the past few days, I love the light in your self portrait and the one of the dog.
As for the lenses, 50mm is really nice on the full frame of the 5D as is the 85mm, so you won't go wrong with either.

Thanks Sarah! I love my 50mm on my 500D.. the only reason I haven't gotten around to buying anything else yet is because I just love this but definitely need to upgrade. My 50mm 1.8 was on its last legs before the mini shoot where the square cropped image got taken... it was taking that image that resulted in me toppling backwards over a 1ft wall and the camera crashing down onto the wall lens first. It's pretty much hanging on by a thread now and getting worse by the day. I'm lucky if it focuses now :LOL: :shake:

I wish there was someone by me with a 5D. Although I'm looking forward to it arriving and being completely new to me. I'm anxious about the difference between 50mm cropped and full frame! I'm so used to it cropped. I've found a few images on Google but nothing beats seeing the difference for yourself.

I've got my babies coming towards the end of this month and new camera and lens towards the end of next month... I'm like a child waiting for santa :LOL:

Ooh thanks for that Graham, it looks like what I was after! I'll have a play about :D

Looking around, I'd also quite like a 100mm.... and it seems the 24-70 2.8 is the full frame equivalent of the 17-55mm?

I've also seen mentioned that 2.8 on full frame will produce the same dof as a cropped at 1.4 (or was it 1.8?). Is that true?

It'd be the classic 5D, Sarah. Ideally would be the MkII but way out of my price range, even 2nd hand, so am looking at the 5D as an investment. Dipping my toe into full frame and a very capable 2nd body when my money can stretch further!

Back