50D Owners Thread - Anything 50D related

I wouldn't understand anyone NOT having highlight alert activated to be honest. It's an incredibly useful and quick visual warning.
My perfect exposure is having a few twinkling dots showing in the highlights on highlight alert (which are too small to see on the histogram usually), while the camera's contrast is set to -2.
This means that those tiny blown sections can be pulled back in the raw converter software.

"Exposing to the right" like that also minimizes noise :)

Looks like you will never understand me then werecow,maybe I will use it one day though :D

when having highlight alert enabled should i be-able to see the highlights in the view finder / the live view screen or only when downloaded

Hello, im new here, and just upgraded from a 350D to a 50D. At the moment im using the kit lens that came with my 350D on it which is a canon 18-55mm lens. I want to upgrade this to get the best out the camera possible. Any suggestions on what the best lens replacement could be. Im looking at the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM second hand, but would like to hear your opinion on other lenses or would this be a great replacement?

Hello, im new here, and just upgraded from a 350D to a 50D. At the moment im using the kit lens that came with my 350D on it which is a canon 18-55mm lens. I want to upgrade this to get the best out the camera possible. Any suggestions on what the best lens replacement could be. Im looking at the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM second hand, but would like to hear your opinion on other lenses or would this be a great replacement?

i got a canon 10-22 a 24-105 and a 100 -400 love them all but i think on the crop factor you would be well advised to look at the efs 17-55f/ 2.8 me thinks i should have looked at it (y)

Hi kallope and welcome aboard :)

To be honest that's a difficult question to answer without knowing what you like to shoot and what your budget is. Certainly the 24-70 is a fine lens, although you'll loose a bit of field of view at the bottom end.

It might be an idea to post this question as a new thread, you'll probably get more responses that way :)

hi, interested to know if anyone has one of these, as my other hobby requires self take photo's, any thoughts welcome, thanks brian sorry the link/me did,nt work. the item on ebay wireless remote from hong kong called YONGNUO £16
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250471090911&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
sorted.

Hi,

I got this one from ebay and it works a treat, comes supplied with battery too!

http://hkyongnuo.manufacturer.globa...emote/1013386768/Wireless-Remote-Controls.htm

OK...

I hear people talk/type about changes to the 50d off the shelf settings...that make big differences to the white balance etc...WHAT ARE THEY...???
(CHILLIMONSTER: Turn ALO and HTP off in the custom menues for better picture quality.)

I am picked up my 50d from Kelso today...along with a 70-200 L f4...and will get my 15-50 f2.8 Tamron from HK

So I want to get the settings sorted out...so if you know...please tell all or pass on a web site...

I cannot wait...!!!

CHEERS

STEVIER

ALO - Automatic Lighting Optimiser (makes ISO 100 disappear so you can only use 200+)
HTP - Highlight Tone Priority

I don't have the 50d, but followed the thread, am pretty sure someone states where to find the settings (or you could try the manual, under custom functions)

Today is the 1st birthday of my 50D, thought I may try and resurrect this thread.

Pete

With all my christmas shopping completed I decided to treat myself. I'm being a good lad though, I've wrapped it up and it's under the tree (hopefully my wife will believe it's come from Santa).

*looks for an old 40D thread*

With all my christmas shopping completed I decided to treat myself. I'm being a good lad though, I've wrapped it up and it's under the tree (hopefully my wife will believe it's come from Santa).

get the camera used, just wrap the box..:LOL:... your missing out !!!!!!

Today is the 1st birthday of my 50D, thought I may try and resurrect this thread.

Pete

Great idea Pete.

I just went and bought one (a little early Christmas present from me to me) and quickly looked for this thread. Put a subscription on and your post was the first notification I received.

Currently enjoying learning to play with back focus (although now I realise this is on my 400D aswell). Hopefully I will find more surprises.

Damian

I'm sure you'll enjoy your purchase Damian. Like you, I upgraded from the 400D, never regretted the decision. As I said, I've had my 50D for a year now and always stumbling across something new. Must get around to calibrating my lenses.

Pete

Im getting a 50D for christmas - so I was just wondering what reccomendations you would throw my way in terms of lenses. Im looking to concert and sport photography - so I have been looking at the 50mm 1.4 for lowlight work but I am not sure what other lens I should add to start off with. Around a £400-450 budget for the other lens - but if you would reccomend differently instead of the 50mm also your advice would be more than welcome!

Hi all, just thought I'd stick my head round the corner as I'm giving serious consideration to buying a 50D and am wanting to make sure I'm not making a rash decision. Currently I have a Sony A200 and I'm looking to upgrade. I considered another Sony but all the new models feel like they've shrunk in the wash and I can't be chewed hanging on tenderhooks for the possible A750.

I wandered into a shop and had a play with the various Sony, Nikon and Canon on display but it wasn't until I reached the 50D that I actually thought "Oooh...nice". It just seemed to fit nice and snug in my hand, then having a look through the viewfinder was even better. I wear glasses and find that with the A200 it feels like I'm looking through a keyhole unless I take them off, but then I can't see. With the 50D I didn't have to remove them and everything was well with the world.

I suppose what I'm asking is :help: is there anything I should consider before slapping down the cash and running off giggling like a schoolboy? Is the 40D worth looking at in comparison to the 50D, or should I just go for it? I'm not looking to let money be a deciding factor.

I really enjoy macro and want to start moving towards wildlife larger than butterflies, and am quite prepared to wait a month or two to save up some pennies and get a 100mm F2.8L IS

If you're into macro i'd definitely go with the 50D over the 40D simply because of the 50D's high-res lcd on the back for use with 10x zoom live view focussing (very useful for macro). But then if you're not looking to let money be a deciding factor, there's the 7D to consider as well... ;)

Hi all, just thought I'd stick my head round the corner as I'm giving serious consideration to buying a 50D and am wanting to make sure I'm not making a rash decision. Currently I have a Sony A200 and I'm looking to upgrade. I considered another Sony but all the new models feel like they've shrunk in the wash and I can't be chewed hanging on tenderhooks for the possible A750.

I wandered into a shop and had a play with the various Sony, Nikon and Canon on display but it wasn't until I reached the 50D that I actually thought "Oooh...nice". It just seemed to fit nice and snug in my hand, then having a look through the viewfinder was even better. I wear glasses and find that with the A200 it feels like I'm looking through a keyhole unless I take them off, but then I can't see. With the 50D I didn't have to remove them and everything was well with the world.

I suppose what I'm asking is :help: is there anything I should consider before slapping down the cash and running off giggling like a schoolboy? Is the 40D worth looking at in comparison to the 50D, or should I just go for it? I'm not looking to let money be a deciding factor.

I really enjoy macro and want to start moving towards wildlife larger than butterflies, and am quite prepared to wait a month or two to save up some pennies and get a 100mm F2.8L IS

Hmm, perhaps I should have added a "within reason" caveat. I've been on the slippery slope before where 'Y' is only so much more than 'X', and if I'm looking at 'Y' I might as well go for 'Z', after all - its only a little bit more.
Usually it's all fun and games until the other half discovers how much a little bit more is.

if you want to shoot macro i'd factor in the cost of a flash as it makes a huge differance to the image - something like a MT-24ex is around £600

if you want to shoot macro i'd factor in the cost of a flash as it makes a huge differance to the image - something like a MT-24ex is around £600

Aye, at the moment (on the sony) I use my sunpak flash with a blue peter homemade cowl dooby wotsit when I use either my 100mm f2.8 macro or my 50mm f2.8 macro, but was thinking something like the Marumi DRF14 C might get me started again with minimal outlay.

Im getting a 50D for christmas - so I was just wondering what reccomendations you would throw my way in terms of lenses. Im looking to concert and sport photography - so I have been looking at the 50mm 1.4 for lowlight work but I am not sure what other lens I should add to start off with. Around a £400-450 budget for the other lens - but if you would reccomend differently instead of the 50mm also your advice would be more than welcome!

Not quite 50mm but I love my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM. On a cropped body this gets you to 50 (ish) unless you had already accounted for the crop with the 50mm 1.4.

Really nice lens for low light portrait work. Not too expensive either but decent build quality and full time manual focus.

I'm now the proud owner of a 50D which was a very generous (and very unexpected) Christmas present.

I haven't done any photography for ages so I'm looking forward to getting into it.

Canonbob kindly told me about the changes to the default settings but I couldn't find the settings he told me about (which are the ones mentioned above)

This is a very long thread now, I've had a look and haven't found the advice.

If it is still current, could somebody do a chapter and verse repeat for those like me with little brain?

Ta muchly.

Hi all, I am trying to buy a canon 50d, body on its own or with the 18-200 is lens pack.

anyone know of the best deals at the mo?

thanks
ian

Ian,

Try Ian Kerr or "Kerso" on kerso1123@msn.com

Loads of people bought from him from this forum and from POTN, very reliable.

Pete

Hi all, I have got a 50d now with the standard 17-85is lens.

i have seen people mention about changing the standard settings to give a better pic. what would these be?

thanks
ian

Back