5D Mark II Finally Announced - Official Discussion Thread

gotta admit, after watching that video, i can really see the appeal, throws any HD camcorder out the window for video quality and looks good with the 500 F/4L lol. How much is this again? lol.

Love to see a macro lens on it :D an if Canon are reading this send me one and I'll make a micro film ;)

Canon raise the bar, again.

As I understand it that was all shot with available light.

Vincent Laforet said:
It was shot with 100% still photography equipment (lenses, grip/mounts, and a single Profoto 7b battery strobe pack (the strobe wasn’t used - just the modeling light))- with the exception of an expensive video tripod and head, and an LED light….

That video is amazing and will make a lot of people eat their words (me included). I still maintain that it will be an under used function for most people, but at that quality it may just inspire people to give it a go.

That video is amazing and will make a lot of people eat their words (me included). I still maintain that it will be an under used function for most people, but at that quality it may just inspire people to give it a go.

I don't know why people have doubts...lets see...

Entire EOS lens line up to use
True 1080p HD
All ISO and Apertures

I mean if you can dream it and do it with a photo, you can do it with a video in this camera.

Just seen the samples on DPreview and the high iso noise or lack of it is on the money for sure.

That's made my mind up, two on pre-order ...

Oh gawd... 50D or 5D MK2? :thinking:

Bloody awesome!

LOL. She'd have to go without more than her doors just at the moment. :LOL:

LOL. She'd have to go without more than her doors just at the moment. :LOL:

I'll give you £300 for that G2 kit if you like. Might sort a door or two. ;)

Amazing quality footage there, but I have to agree there's no way that was just natural light used

I'll give you £300 for that G2 kit if you like. Might sort a door or two. ;)

You're all heart Daz. :D

The 21mm Biogon is languishing with Parcel Force at the moment and I'm still waiting to see how badly I get shafted by HM Customs and Excise. :crying:

Impressive bit of video. But remember, his original notes did say he used the services of a professional editor. Still PDG though I have to say.

Do you think they'll be cheap by Christmas (it's my Birthday you see....) :D

Steve

I think demand for these is going to keep the price up for quite some time.

Am I mistaken... or has the general mood almost imperceptibly changed overnight from:
'Video on SLR's is sacrilege, burn the witches!'
To:
'Video on SLR's is amazing, praise to the gods!'

???

Am I mistaken... or has the general mood almost imperceptibly changed overnight from:
To:

???

I think the quality really swayed a lot of the nayers, I dunno what they were expecting? P&S ones you see on youtube or something.

I think a lot of people didn't realise what video on a 35mm sensor meant in comparison to fairly cheap HD camcorders.

To:

???

Nah Keith, still wouldn't have a use for it, even though I have a couple of pro spec L glass..

Yes the quality is excellent, presumably depending on what glass you put in front of the sensor but for me a DSLR is a DSLR. Then again I'm not a photojournalist who wants to minimise on equipment carried.

It has surprised me about the quality of the results, but to me, it hasn't changed my opinion...

The video is hugely impressive and I've always been for it. However, I would swap it for 6fps and better AF in a heartbeat :)

video quality does look good but then my computer probably would be able to handle it anyway!! :D

I think a lot of people didn't realise what video on a 35mm sensor meant in comparison to fairly cheap HD camcorders.

Ding !

Essentially, just as Kodachrome 35mm film (the classic 35mm movie stock) may have had its
last batch made last year, Canon go all 35mm Full Frame HD all over the competition's ass :LOL:

The 5D Mk II will prove to be a tremendous, epoch making, step change in 35mm photography and film making*

*until RED blows it away, maybe.

For all the pros out there, how do you sell a video from a 5Dmk2?

Everyone knows about pricing per print in various sizes, or a digital file of an image.

But what on earth do you do with video? Price it per minute? You cant really frame it and give it as a present to someone. Some new business models to come out for sure.

Some new business models to come out for sure.

maybe, but the idea of selling video as as such isnt that new just google "Stock Video" see how it is done. For wedding togs etc it could be something new I guess, If it was me I would just be using it for menu background to display the pictures on. I don't think a wedding tog is going to have to the time to produce any meaningful video of a wedding. Will be interesting to see how it goes though :)

For all the pros out there, how do you sell a video from a 5Dmk2?

Everyone knows about pricing per print in various sizes, or a digital file of an image.

But what on earth do you do with video? Price it per minute? You cant really frame it and give it as a present to someone. Some new business models to come out for sure.

It would be a part of the package, or give the B&G a choice if they want a video shot at the wedding ceremony/cake cutting/first dance. You can still pull some shots out of it but just not 21mp shots.

LOL. I can see this putting a lot of wedding video togs noses out of joint. Only fair since they've put mine out of joint many a time. :LOL:

I have worked with some very professional video togs too I hasten to add. ;)

alot of people are saying the mk2 has the same AF as original 5d, hope this is not true, 5d is not very good AF for low light situations :(.. might be worth waiting for 1Ds mk4 if thats the case, also the dynamic iso sounds interesting, instead of global iso.

I just had a thought earlier, the fact that we like that Laforet video or any video is because it is interesting, every clip has something going on and his video is set. He had a script, a shot in mind and he shot it to that script. Most of us shoot things as they come, weddings, landscapes and what not, you can't script how everyone is going to do, where they are going to look and when so to make an interesting video would require some really good editing or plan it from the start.

My point is that a shot of the feet of a crowd can make an interesting photo and you might stare at it for 10 seconds, if that is a video and nothing happens for 10 seconds you'll get bored.

You know, I bought a new camera in the summer (Canon 40D). The problem
with photography is that technology is improving so fast, if you stay
in tune with the developments, you'll never be satisfied with what you
have (one of the reasons why I had no idea about the 5D Mk2 -- I made
an effort to stay off websites that review these things).

To be honest, the camera seems to be a significant step up, but people
shouldn't mistake that spectacular video for the work of the camera.
Most of what makes that video so great is the lighting. You would have
been able to capture the scenes just as nicely -- I suspect -- with
available technology, though definitely not in a
camera/camcorder-in-one (for which the 5D is new). Also, when they say
that the video is unaltered, what they mean is that the video is
unaltered post-download. I suspect that the 5D camera, itself,
post-processes the video (sharpens, brightens, saturates, etc.).

Do I see a 5D Mk2 in my future? Hopefully not. Because I went with the
40D, most of my lens are designed for crop cameras (like the 20D,
Rebel XT, etc.). The 5D and 10D series are full-frame cameras -- so I
would have to sell half my lenses.

It's also a good question as to who needs this tech. They're marketing
this towards professional wedding togs, mainly because of the video
capabilities. Will other photographers -- like landscape, city,
architectural, etc. -- benefit as much? Perhaps. But I think the
difference between the 5D and the much cheaper 40D (about 4x less) is
much smaller for the rest of the world.

Undoubtedly, though, 10 years down the line, video/photo capabilities will
be standard in all cameras. A bit intimidating if you ask me.

The video is hugely impressive and I've always been for it. However, I would swap it for 6fps and better AF in a heartbeat :)

well said!

i must say that the more stuff i see coming from this camera, the more i'm tempted to punt the 1ds mk2 and get one ordered..... i don't do weddings, but i can see lots of uses for the video. maybe the 1ds mk4 specs will be released soon and i can see if i want to extend the mortgage or not to have one.....

alot of people are saying the mk2 has the same AF as original 5d, hope this is not true, 5d is not very good AF for low light situations :(.. might be worth waiting for 1Ds mk4 if thats the case, also the dynamic iso sounds interesting, instead of global iso.

I thought it had the same AF as the new 50D. I mean, why wouldn't you use your latest developed technology on a new model ???

It uses the same chip etc, the only thing different is the actual processor.

Steve

a shot of the feet of a crowd can make an interesting photo and you might stare at it for 10 seconds

You might !

if that is a video and nothing happens for 10 seconds you'll get bored.

Why would you include a shot of peoples feet in the final edit ? If you know people would get bored, why film it in the first place ?

What's the difference between 10 seconds of moving footage of stationary feet and holding your eyes still,
on a still, of the same subject for 10 seconds ? :bonk:

Back