5D Mark II Finally Announced - Official Discussion Thread

Reading through the last few pages and I think everyone has completely missed the big point of video on the new 5D.

It’s not just point & shoot video with HD recording
The great thing with the 5D video capability (apart from HD res) is the DOF and high ISO noise control. You could spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on video recording gear with small sensors and still not achieve what you can with the new 5D.

You might !

Why would you include a shot of peoples feet in the final edit ? If you know people would get bored, why film it in the first place ?

What's the difference between 10 seconds of moving footage of stationary feet and holding your eyes still,
on a still, of the same subject for 10 seconds ? :bonk:

and the inventor of metaphors rest happily in his grave.

Reading through the last few pages and I think everyone has completely missed the big point of video on the new 5D.

The great thing with the 5D video capability (apart from HD res) is the DOF and high ISO noise control. You could spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on video recording gear with small sensors and still not achieve what you can with the new 5D.

I mentioned the 35mm sensor having a big effect on the type of videos the camera could produce but most people seemed to brush it off and still expect generic p&s 'hd camcorder' type shots...

which is exactly what i said earlier in the thread, this will pee all over any dedicated HD camcorder.

Another thing is, the size that this records video, you can go back through that video and get a grab of any frame and still be able to print that frame in decent quality on a sheet of A4 - which is good enough for a lot of peoples needs.

Ref. video - apologies if this has been mentioned already but I couldn't find it in such a bloated thread! - what about sound? I assume the 5D mk II has a tinny built-in mic, but does it let you connect an external boom mic or similar? Does it record in stereo?

A.

Ref. video - apologies if this has been mentioned already but I couldn't find it in such a bloated thread! - what about sound? I assume the 5D mk II has a tinny built-in mic, but does it let you connect an external boom mic or similar? Does it record in stereo?

A.

I believe it takes a plug-in external mic.

A.

It has stereo mic inputs supposedly

Anyone know what the actual date of release wil be ?

Steve

I am holding off purchasing a £2,000 DSLR again.

My 1D IIN died this week after only 20k shutter actuations - Canons attitude is that aslong as it is outwith the warranty period then tough cookies.

Dont see the point spending 2k on a top dollar product for it to be lemon.

Ce la vie :)

I am holding off purchasing a £2,000 DSLR again.

My 1D IIN died this week after only 20k shutter actuations - Canons attitude is that aslong as it is outwith the warranty period then tough cookies.

Dont see the point spending 2k on a top dollar product for it to be lemon.

Ce la vie :)

That's ridiculous. Items worth a specific value are supposed to be accompanied by a specific warranty.

A good example is the XBOX 360, it cost £350 and people whined at the 1 year warranty. It's been bumped to 3 years by Microsoft. Something over £2,500 should - without doubt - have a longer warranty period. Nikon wins here.

I think I mentioned somewhere else around here, there is a clause in the Sale of Goods act that outlines 'fair wear and tear' or put it another way you'd expect something of high value to last a reasonable length of time before any major repairs vital to its operation were required. for example a car; you may spend £10,000 on one and it would be expected to last at the very least 5-6yrs without major problems, perhaps more. Similarly a high value camera is expected to last at least (or not too far from) the advertised life of expected shutter actuations, not fall somewhat short at 10-20%. To do so, within a reasonable time of ownership, would indicate a manufacturing fault and hence a repair for free, or for a greatly reduced charge to cover labour, should be in order. Its all there if you read it, present your case in a reasonable manner and see what happens....

I think I mentioned somewhere else around here, there is a clause in the Sale of Goods act that outlines 'fair wear and tear' or put it another way you'd expect something of high value to last a reasonable length of time before any major repairs vital to its operation were required. for example a car; you may spend £10,000 on one and it would be expected to last at the very least 5-6yrs without major problems, perhaps more. Similarly a high value camera is expected to last at least (or not too far from) the advertised life of expected shutter actuations, not fall somewhat short at 10-20%. To do so, within a reasonable time of ownership, would indicate a manufacturing fault and hence a repair for free, or for a greatly reduced charge to cover labour, should be in order. Its all there if you read it, present your case in a reasonable manner and see what happens....

:agree: you definitely have a case.

wez: thanks -even more tempting!

..........but is the 5D MkII worth the £1,200 extra you need to pay over a 50D......? Really?

Full Frame is priceless :p

Only if it's relevent to your style of photography ;)

I've actually just sold my 5D to fund a 50D because I'm doing more and more wildlife togging and so the full frame sensor is of no benefit to me at all :)

Landscape, portraiture...........anything where a full frame sensor can make a difference

..........but is the 5D MkII worth the £1,200 extra you need to pay over a 50D......? Really?

Is the D700 worth it more than a D90? Is the 1ds over the 1D. Is a Hassleblad 39mp MF worth it? Yes if it suits your style. Mine is people and places.

Landscape, portraiture...........anything where a full frame sensor can make a difference

Another vote for full-frame. Once you've got used to the PQ and large bright viewfinder, there's no going back. I've had my 5D for a few months, and I woudn't even consider a crop-sensor DSLR now.

A.

Thanks for the help regarding my 1D issue - sending it to Canon will keep you updated :)

Just a kick in the teeth as I am sure you can all understand :)

Murray

I just had a thought earlier, the fact that we like that Laforet video or any video is because it is interesting, every clip has something going on and his video is set. He had a script, a shot in mind and he shot it to that script. Most of us shoot things as they come, weddings, landscapes and what not, you can't script how everyone is going to do, where they are going to look and when so to make an interesting video would require some really good editing or plan it from the start.

On that note, surely this is pretty awesome for short film-makers? High end video on relatively affordable equipment. If it doesn't appeal to you it doesn't appeal to you, but I imagine there will be many many people it will be a massive development for.

On a personal level, I was at the Britcar 24hr over the weekend, just a minute of footage to show people what it was like would have been superb. Sure I hope my photos conveyed the atmosphere, but it would have been great to capture some footage as well.

camera world have them here, with grip and 8Gb card included in the price

It wasn't missed, and they're only listing it for now. You can't buy or pre-order yet.

Back