70-200m for Nikon D610

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

I'm looking at adding a 70-200mm f2.8 to my collection. Whilst I'd love to fork out for the Nikon at £2k, I am looking at either new/used Tamron or Sigma versions which come in around £1-£1.1k. Currently having a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 which I'm very happy with, I have no issues with another Tamron or Sigma. Just wondering if anyone has a Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and what your experiences are with those lenses? Would also love to see any sample images taken with the lenses.
On a completely different subject, they all seem to be out of stock and available on order only and there's also not much choice of used - what's going on???!!
Many thanks.

Why not consider one of the older versions of the Nikon lens ? All versions were excellent although the V1 used to vignette wide open on FF. You should be able to pick up a good version of the version 1 for sub £500 or the v2 for under £800.

You're finding stock problems cause there is a world wide semi conductor shortage and lots of industries. are struggling

Last edited:
Why not consider one of the older versions of the Nikon lens ? All versions were excellent although the V1 used to vignette wide open on FF. You should be able to pick up a good version of the version 1 for sub £500 or the v2 for under £800
Would the older versions be compatible with a Fx body? If so, I'm open to all options. Which specific model would you recommend? Thanks.

Would the older versions be compatible with a Fx body? If so, I'm open to all options. Which specific model would you recommend? Thanks.

every version is compatible with FX bodies, but the V1 used to vignette wide open on FX bodies, for that reason I'd consider the v2 a better choice. FWIW I still use & am very happy with a V1

Yes as above I would look for a used 70-200 2.8 vr2. Will work fine on your D610.

Last year I purchased a used one and am very happy with my one.

I'd also recommend a used Nikon. I bought a VRII on here for less than £800 IIRC (can't find the thread).

An excellent lens, the only lens I'd change it for is the latest model, but Panamoz are out of stock. :(

Hello All,

I'm looking at adding a 70-200mm f2.8 to my collection. Whilst I'd love to fork out for the Nikon at £2k, I am looking at either new/used Tamron or Sigma versions which come in around £1-£1.1k. Currently having a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 which I'm very happy with, I have no issues with another Tamron or Sigma. Just wondering if anyone has a Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and what your experiences are with those lenses? Would also love to see any sample images taken with the lenses.
On a completely different subject, they all seem to be out of stock and available on order only and there's also not much choice of used - what's going on???!!
Many thanks.
Hi, I'll soon be selling my 70-200 VRii Lens incase you're still looking for one, it will be towards the lower end of the price bracket fort these lenses.

Another vote for the VR2. Although I've never bought a Tamron I can't comment but I do have two Pentax branded Tamron lenses (D-FA which are superb), and although Sigma have great offerings I never seem to want to hang on to them long term (bit like an Android phone you get fed up of quickly)...I had the 180 EX macro that stopped working when I updated my D810 firmware - excellent lens, then rendered useless so swapped it for a 105 VR Nikkor.

Sounds like you want the Nikkor, I waited until I could get one, first a VR1 and then the VR2 - I've not felt the urge to replace it with the updated version. As the caramel bunny says 'you know you want to.....'

The D610 has a built in AF motor drive, and has extremely good lens compatibility with current and older lenses.

i have the sigma 70-200 sport and am really happy with it, used on my d750 quite a bit and works very well, recently used on my z6 ii a little bit and happy with it on that too. Really nice contrasty lens, but its a heavy lump. I bought mine from panamoz, think it was about 1100 at the time

I had the 70-200 f2.8 vr1 and vr2 in my Nikon days. Both worked well on Nikon full frame cameras. The vr2 is supposed to be affected by focus breathing but I never really found that to be a problem. You should be able to find the VR2 used for under £1k.

example:

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect but relevant

I have the d500 and am on a tight budget, so would either VR 1 or 2 work and any pref

Sorry to resurrect but relevant

I have the d500 and am on a tight budget, so would either VR 1 or 2 work and any pref
What are you shooting?

If it's anything that's slow moving / static and you're on a tight budget, then go for the 80-200 2.8 af-d two touch, it's optically excellent and a really good performer. If you're hoping to photograph fast moving objects and take advantage of the af system in the d500, go for the vrii - it's a very solid performer and will pair nicely with the d500.

What are you shooting?

If it's anything that's slow moving / static and you're on a tight budget, then go for the 80-200 2.8 af-d two touch, it's optically excellent and a really good performer. If you're hoping to photograph fast moving objects and take advantage of the af system in the d500, go for the vrii - it's a very solid performer and will pair nicely with the d500.
Wildlife is what it will be used for. Is the VII better than the VI and what's the crack with focus breathing?

Try and go for a vr2, not used vr1 but have a vr2 and it is an excellent lens.

Wildlife is what it will be used for. Is the VII better than the VI and what's the crack with focus breathing?
From what I remember, the focus breathing issue is at closer subject distances where the lens breathes heavily and the effectively focal length drops to circa 135mm. In reality, it's not a big deal and the VRII has been and continues to be used by many professionals for weddings, wildlife and sport etc. I've shot briefly with the VRii and enjoyed it, I missed the af buttons of the vri on the lens barrel, but those are just a luxury on a lens of this size and imo unnecessary considering the size of this lens.

Try and go for a vr2, not used vr1 but have a vr2 and it is an excellent lens.
I hear you, just concerned about the focus breathing.

London Camera Exchange have both VR1 and VR2 in stock: I pref if they come with the box
VR1
VR2

Or there is a VR2 not far from me on Facebook for £650

London Camera Exchange have both VR1 and VR2 in stock: I pref if they come with the box
VR1
VR2

Think I paid £860 for my one from Harrison camera in Aug 2020, it was boxed and works well, I did not notice a small scratch on the front element until my friend mentioned it but has not caused any issues.

See if you can try one out before you buy.

VR1
VR2

I'd never buy a used lens from some random seller - there's far too much to go wrong with a used lens imo. At least from wex / mpb / lce etc there's the chance to return it and good warranty support too.

The focus breathing was a concern for me, I went for the fl-e version in end, it's incredible.

I'd look at the VR I from somewhere like wex (12 month warranty). I prefer the build quality and layout of the vr i, it's a very handsome lens and does perform really well.

I'd never buy a used lens from some random seller - there's far too much to go wrong with a used lens imo. At least from wex / mpb / lce etc there's the chance to return it and good warranty support too.

The focus breathing was a concern for me, I went for the fl-e version in end, it's incredible.

I'd look at the VR I from somewhere like wex (12 month warranty). I prefer the build quality and layout of the vr i, it's a very handsome lens and does perform really well.
I would suggest that so long as you know what to look for and sus the seller out your fine. I bough my D500 locally and knew once I met the seller that it was a cosha (spelling) sale

I checked the WEX site and they had two for sale both condition 8 and neither description read very well

Last edited:
Back