7d coming tomorrow

There is also a way to read it through Linux (if you don't have linux, you can use a live CD and install it to the live CD booted image - a Live CD doesn't change your HDD). The eos info program doesn't work with the 7D.

It will only make things worse if you find out it has over 100,000 clicks !!

Vendor has sent a message this morning if I'm not happy send it back and he'll give me a refund
I would prefer the refund first
Just done a shutter count it is ever so slightly higher than his estimated 30k

Capture by Tony Turbo, on Flickr

Can't see that happening, however if you ensure it's RMSD and keep all messages and images you shouldn't have a problem if the initial payment was made through eBay.
Alternatively offer to go through Escrow, he pays the refund through Escrow and when they confirm they have received it you release the camera, but I'm guessing that he would want you to pay the Escrow fee even if he's prepared to go that route.

Vendor has sent a message this morning if I'm not happy send it back and he'll give me a refund
Just done a shutter count it is ever so slightly higher than his estimated 30k

Capture by Tony Turbo, on Flickr

116,000 !!!!

I would too, he is effectively buying it back from you so he pays you you send the camera....simples.

Are you sending it all back or could you not as I suggested do a deal on the 10-22 staying...probably simpler to do a full refund.

A result anyway(y)

I have offered him that option Mal I doubt the 10-22 would have done 100k +
it's not the sort of lens that does high mileage I don't think
Seems to me as a pro photographer he has used it as his main camera and replaced it after 18 months or so then off loaded it before it breaks.
Not an honest business man if you ask me
perhaps his true vocation is car dealing lol
wonder how much it would have made on ebay if he had listed it as CANON 7D 116k+ shutter count dropped a couple of times bit battered could do with a clean and had heavy usage, all still seems to work at the moment

Last edited:
That is not acceptable. The camera is definitely not as described. I doubt that he will accept to give you your refund before you sending the camera.

Find out if he is local to you then you can just drop it off to his place. I would drive to his place if it only costs around £10 or £20 fuel.

Keep in mind that the way you bought the item was a breach of ebay rules and this can come back and bite you if you do take the matter further.

we are currently in negotiation on ebay messaging
he is in london
I am aware that ebay cannot help me however the item is not as described no matter where he advertised it
Just goes to show you shouldn't judge people by your own standards
my above post is how I would have listed it in an add if I was selling it
I do have friends in london that I could send it to who will personally deliver it for a cash refund I'd rather avoid the hassle
I have suggested for ease a part refund of 250-300 to cover the shutter replacement
I paid 1010 for it incl the mint 10-22 canon lens,the camera the genuine battery grip and 2 gen batteries
Had I known it was such a high shutter count I would have left it and beat Mal down some more on price lol or just bought a new one from hdew

Last edited:
we are currently in negotiation on ebay messaging
he is in london
I am aware that ebay cannot help me however the item is not as described no matter where he advertised it
Just goes to show you shouldn't judge people by your own standards
my above post is how I would have listed it in an add if I was selling it
I do have friends in london that I could send it to who will personally deliver it for a cash refund I'd rather avoid the hassle
I have suggested for ease a part refund of 250-300 to cover the shutter replacement
I paid 1010 for it incl the mint 10-22 canon lens,the camera the genuine battery grip and 2 gen batteries
Had I known it was such a high shutter count I would have left it and beat Mal down some more on price lol or just bought a new one from hdew

?? He is not going to do that, by suggesting that it just looks like you are not that bothered about the damage and only bothered about the price...up to you, but it is not the way I would go forward on that.

If it were me Id go with... and offer my mates £20 or £30 for the pub.

ziggy©;4632136 said:
That is not acceptable. The camera is definitely not as described. I doubt that he will accept to give you your refund before you sending the camera.

Find out if he is local to you then you can just drop it off to his place. I would drive to his place if it only costs around £10 or £20 fuel.

Personally, if it was me I'd definitely be driving straight to his door to demand my money back, regardless of the cost of fuel!

You have been completely conned by a dishonest individual who thought he'd chance his arm courtesy of his unscrupulous behaviour.

:thumbsdown:

?? He is not going to do that, by suggesting that it just looks like you are not that bothered about the damage and only bothered about the price...up to you, but it is not the way I would go forward on that.
I was just trying to be fair and value the camera as it is for an easy life
had it been pictured and described properly I would never have bought it at any price.
The concern now is if I send it all back by RMSD will I get a refund
seems I had to trust the vendor by sending him payment before dispatch but he doesn't trust me enough to refund me first then I'll despatch
i could end up 1010 down and no battered camera
Hence my offer of a part refund would be safer IMO
then at least I have a battered camera that I can sell and buy yours

I hate the ol' fleebay :(

Typical seller, if you never paid through PayPal he could choose to do a runner at any time =[

If he won't go for the partial refund pay him a visit and collect the cash.

You said earlier on you have his website details, does it have an address on it?

If he won't go for the partial refund pay him a visit and collect the cash.

You said earlier on you have his website details, does it have an address on it?

unfortunately not no address which concerned me a little for a business
only contact on the site is email and mobile
seems very odd for a business to me

Was there no return address on the bottom of the packaging? If sent via RMSD they require it.

Personally, if it was me I'd definitely be driving straight to his door to demand my money back, regardless of the cost of fuel!

You have been completely conned by a dishonest individual who thought he'd chance his arm courtesy of his unscrupulous behaviour.

:thumbsdown:

As yet we can't be sure that the seller is a crook! :shrug:

Tony is rightly dissapointed with the camera but the seller was bothered enough to ask to see pics & offer a refund. He may have made a genuine mistake & appears to be prepared to put things right. :clap:

I think Tony needs to be careful & deal with the chap as straightforwardly as possible, on the basis that he's genuine & given that he's "holding all the cards"!

I hope it works out well, Tony, & you can just put it down to experience. (y)

Tony is rightly dissapointed with the camera but the seller was bothered enough to ask to see pics & offer a refund. He may have made a genuine mistake & appears to be prepared to put things right. :clap:

I think Tony needs to be careful & deal with the chap as straightforwardly as possible, on the basis that he's genuine & given that he's "holding all the cards"!

:plus1:

I'm finding it hard to believe that this guy, a so called professional, has made a "genuine mistake" as I think it would have been quite clear to him as he was packing it that he would be sending out a damaged camera.

This isn't exactly small change we're talking about here, and so I'm a little confused as to why you didn't ask for his address details etc...but anyway, personally I would be paying him a visit (use your friends in London if need be) and getting my money back, in full, a.s.a.p.

I hope you get it sorted Tony.

unfortunately not no address which concerned me a little for a business
only contact on the site is email and mobile
seems very odd for a business to me

Do a 'whois' on the website domain name. That could give you an address.

Tony you still seem to be labouring under the impression that this was a good deal (lens batteries etc) it wasn't and trying to be "fair" is a mistake, he wasn't fair with you. The dings may only be cosmetic but asking for a partial refund for the shutter? What about the rest? Everything else has done 116k as well. It is a VERY second hand body. The guy has tried to pull a sharp one on you, get a full refund and move on.

Tony you still seem to be labouring under the impression that this was a good deal (lens batteries etc) it wasn't and trying to be "fair" is a mistake, he wasn't fair with you. The dings may only be cosmetic but asking for a partial refund for the shutter? What about the rest? Everything else has done 116k as well. It is a VERY second hand body. The guy has tried to pull a sharp one on you, get a full refund and move on.

I totally agree but I am just palying the diplomacy card with him at the moment
He doesn't have to refund me at all I have to tread carefully
His latest is he wants it returning for a total refund, if I send it all back as he requests then he will refund me what guarantee do I have that I will be refunded at all
I may end up 1010 down and no goods either that would be a proper wounder .
If I mange to get 100-200 quid back that's better than nothing and I'll just put it down to experience
I could then sell the camera for 500 quid listed correctly and buy a new one instead for 784 from panamoz

If I mange to get 100-200 quid back that's better than nothing and I'll just put it down to experience...I could then sell the camera for 500 quid listed correctly and buy a new one instead for 784 from panamoz

But Tony, you shouldn't have to put it down to experience! The guy has sold you a camera that is clearly damaged and clearly not as described, and so yes...he does have to refund you!

...and who's to say you'll even get 500 quid for it, in that condition and with a 116k shutter count, if you were to put it up for sale yourself?

Please don't just take this lying down Tony, talk to him, get his address details, and get your money back.

But Tony, you shouldn't have to put it down to experience! The guy has sold you a camera that is clearly damaged and clearly not as described, and so yes...he does have to refund you!

...and who's to say you'll even get 500 quid for it, in that condition and with a 116k shutter count, if you were to put it up for sale yourself?

Please don't just take this lying down Tony, talk to him, get his address details, and get your money back.

+1

You and/or your mates should arrange to deliver it to him, and collect the refund, in person. That way he knows he's getting his gear back and you know you're getting your money.

I totally agree
I personally expected the vendor being a pro photographer and having a 100% feedback to be as honest as he sounded on the phone
options I have
post it back at my cost for the promised refund and hope he refunds me
negotiate a compensation partial refund
post it to my friends in London who will deliver it personally and collect the cash.
My friends who will do this are very nice people but are unfortunately extremely large and intimidating, well just big and ugly really but you wouldn't say it to his face lol
Alternatively I could relist it with a link to his original forsale post with the true facts how I was conned and my honest description
Canon 7d bought off ebay from user ******* last week who assured me it was mint and had a 30k approx shutter count and was well cared for and looked after
What he actually sold me was a well used and well battered 7d as pictured with a shutter count of 116k+
no reserve 99p start get yourself a well tried and tested used and abused 7d happy bidding and good luck your going to need it

Last edited:

Exactly what I have been saying to Tony in earlier posts.

l
Alternatively I could relist it with a link to his original forsale post with the true facts how I was conned and my honest description

Tony he has offered you a refund, you are very lucky to be offered that!, go with it and get the camera to him via your "ugly mates" who will collect the refund, tell them to deduct a payment for their troubles, that will cost you a lot less than listing it on Ebay.

Just my recommendation and others it seems, but it is up to you whether you take our advice or not, you do whatever you feel happy with.

How did you pay? You may have some sort of back up there! ( if it hasn't already been mentioned on the forum )
Sorry to hear your misfortune. I'd always buy cameras new now, lenses are a little different.

Afraid this shows what happens when you penny pinch, first of all trying to squeeze the last few quid out of a decent deal on here

Then to use Ebay, ignore all the warnings and buy privately without any protection again to save a few quid.

Hope it all works out though

Afraid this shows what happens when you penny pinch, first of all trying to squeeze the last few quid out of a decent deal on here

Then to use Ebay, ignore all the warnings and buy privately without any protection again to save a few quid.

Hope it all works out though
:agree: ;)

A trip to this seller's door to get all his money back, is going to be the only answer to this mess Tony is in!

I can't believe that anyone can think the seller made a "geniune mistake" - he either put the wrong camera in the box deliberately or, he put the right camera in the box, but it absolutely wasn't the camera he advertised and accepted money for. Either way it's scandalously dishonest behaviour!

He only "appears" to be prepared to put things right because he's been challenged, quite rightly, by the honest buyer who is short of a lot of money.
I, like most others, feel bad for Tony - but for this crooked seller to actually ask him to send pictures of proof of the camera's condition, is possibly the ultimate insult.

There shouldn't be any discussion of partial refunds - it should be a full refund and no argument. After that, and only after that, he can put it down to experience,

:bang:

Last edited:
To be honest I think the OP is lucky to have got anything at all.

Who in their right mind contacts someone outside of ebay (so bypassing all protection) and then sends them over a grand without even a contact address. The seller could have easily just closed his Ebay account and that would have been that.

The fact he sent the camera and lens in the first place shows to me he can probably be trusted and (presuming you paid via Paypal) I would open a dispute (you don't need to have dealt through Ebay to do this), package the whole thing up and send it back via special delivery. Once this is done Paypal will refund you on proof of receipt.

If you paid by bank transfer then that's just total madness.

Who in their right mind contacts someone outside of ebay (so bypassing all protection) and then sends them over a grand without even a contact address. The seller could have easily just closed his Ebay account and that would have been that.

If you paid by bank transfer then that's just total madness.

TBH not every person is dodgy Mike.

I would open a dispute (you don't need to have dealt through Ebay to do this), package the whole thing up and send it back via special delivery. Once this is done Paypal will refund you on proof of receipt.

I do not have much to do with paypal and avoid it if I can since they held on to over £300 of my money for over a month for no fault of my own, I am here to be proved wrong but I very much doubt it would be as simple as that.

paid by pay pal but not through ebay
I prefer to speak to them direct before buying anything
the standard procedure for any purchase is the purchaser has to pay the seller before he will dispatch
I did check the sellers rep out on ebay first in particular his length of membership on ebay which was 10 years and checked out his business photography web site out first before ringing him
shame his idea of well looked after isn't the same as ours
I have his address now which is NW***** london
I have stood right outside his house on google street view no body was in lol

The damage could be lived with at the price paid for the package but the shutter count at 116k+ is the worrying issue
he hadn't even cleaned it looked like it hadn't been cleaned since he bought it
a good clean made it look a lot better it was filthy
The canon white logo looked worn away when infact it was just grime and muck
had the shutter count been the 30k as estimated it would have been a reasonable deal for the package but as it stands at 116k it may pack up at any moment and ne an expensive paper weight

I did try to buy from members of this board but no one would deal at the £700 I was offering for a used 7D

Last edited:
shame his idea of well looked after isn't the same as ours

The dispute does not rest on his description but on the possible dishonest act of not sending what you agreed to buy.

If it was normal Paypal then raise a claim and tell him it's just so you can negotiate formally.

If you paid Paypal gift then..... well :bonk:

The dispute does not rest on his description but on the possible dishonest act of not sending what you agreed to buy.

I totally agree
why do people tell porkies honesty is always the best policy
had it been sold on ebay to the highest bidder I'm sure the purchaser would have opened a dispute
lets face it he pulled a fast one and now possibly wishes he hadn't
I SHALL be ringing him Tuesday wonder if he will answer the phone to me
will continue the updates of this epic saga

Back