A bit of fun - WORDLE. (NB, US spelling!) No spoilers please

A close run thing on Friday's Wordle. Only 2Ys after 2 guesses. The 3rd guess converted those to 2G, but a poor 4th guess left me with the same 2G. Then I belatedly realised how the word probably ended, but there were 5 common words that fit that pattern and only 2 guesses left...

Instead of just trying one of them, I decided to 'waste' the 5th guess on a word that didn't fit, but eliminated 3 possibilities. I felt like James Stewart in The Flight of the Phoenix using one of the last remaining engine starter cartridges to clean out the cylinders with the ignition off so that the next try would have a better chance. :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IACjOvyx5hs

That left me with a straight 50:50 on the last guess. Picked what I thought was the commonest of the two and managed to escape from the desert in 6!

265.jpg

Last edited:
Failed! 3 wrong first letter choices.

B####—#BB##—#BO###—#OOOO—#OOOO—#OOOO

6 today,

but, but , but,

1 Y,
4G,
4G,
4G,
4G
5G,

Technically a 3. :LOL:

A 4 today 1G 1Y, 2G, 4G, 5G. So many options after 3 guesses but with what some would call a luck guess but what call inspired I got it on the 4th go.

Sweating today ... 6 ... G, 2Y + G, 4G, 4G, 4G ... really sweating 3 options now :help: ... 5G ... guessed right :clap:

Failed! 3 wrong first letter choices.

B####—#BB##—#BO###—#OOOO—#OOOO—#OOOO

Me too. Went the wrong way! Story of my life!!!

Me too. Went the wrong way! Story of my life!!!
I had some compensation since I do their Spelling Bee, 4-letter+ words from 7 and got a “pangram” but then, as usual, they cut me off unless I subscribe. It’s only 75p a week but that the same as I pay for the “newspaper’“ so it seems excessive to me ;(.

5 today, blooming game this is!

3 this morning, very happy :)

3 for me too. gy, gggyy, only one change could be made!

4 for me today

3 for me too. gy, gggyy, only one change could be made!

The annoying thing is that the ggggg is a far more common word than the ggyyg! Not sure why I went for the wrong answer first!

4 again today 0, 1G 2Y, 1G 2Y, 5G,

The annoying thing is that the ggggg is a far more common word than the ggyyg! Not sure why I went for the wrong answer first!
Snap!

It was surprisingly hard to come up with either of these words after my first two guesses, which gave me 3Y. I ran my guesses through Scordle afterwards, which starts with the final word and does a sort of post-game analysis, telling you the possible words that still fit after each guess and what a good next guess would have been. For me, there were only 3 words available after the first two guesses - the correct word, the much less common alternative, and one so obscure they wouldn't use it.

1647100442488.png

4 today, should really have got it in 3 (for reason that will be obvious when you do it) but only ‘saw’ an uncommon word at that point!
###B#—BOB##—#OOO#—OOOOO

Curious aside, when I type something like “###B#—BOB##—#OOO#—OOOOO” into Notes on iPad after the first ## the characters change colour to red and then yellow before changing bach to normal after the O#. I seem to have found some control code in Notes (actually Quick Note).

2 today! Yahoo, well happy :)

And a 3 for me today.

5. y, gg, gg, ggg, ggggg.

A surprising 3 today ... ie I'm surprised

A lucky 3 for Monday. I had 2G and 1Y after 2 guesses, but there were still 4 common words (and 3 obscure ones, according to Scordle's post-game analysis) that fit the pattern. For once, I picked the right one!

4 today, as my school report says, could do better :)

4 today
???B?—OB??B—O?OOO—OOOOO

Not sure how Scordle works but if I’d used their choice for 3rd it would have given 36 possibles whereas mine gave only 2 (or maybe 3).

Back