A bit of fun - WORDLE. (NB, US spelling!) No spoilers please

I usually start with one of two ‘starting’ words. It also depends upon answers from the last few days.
You are assuming it‘s a non ‘random’ choice?. We don’t know how it’s chosen I think.

Last edited:
I suspect that the word is chosen rather than automatically selected/arrived at.

Last edited:
I used to use the same start word but have changed tack. I keep forgetting what I used the day before so now use fairly random starters, although there is some method in my choices, based on the frequency of use of letters (which doesn't always work, TBH!!!)

I used to use the same start word but have changed tack. I keep forgetting what I used the day before so now use fairly random starters, although there is some method in my choices, based on the frequency of use of letters (which doesn't always work, TBH!!!)
That kinda makes sense Nod. :oops: :$

:)

I suspect that the word is chosen rather than automatically selected/arrived at.
It may be so. I do another free game on the NYT, letterBoxed which boils down to making words from 4 sets of 3 letters, using all the letters to finish but no consecutive 2 from the same group. Using as few words as possible.

It is said “on the web” that the published solutions are always 2 words (Have not checked this) and many hours of coding seem to have been devoted to find a computerised solution without complete success I think. (Cheating of course :( ).

That tells me the setter probably chooses two six letter words (or similar) as a starting point.

That kinda makes sense Nod. :oops: :$

:)

My original starter was tries but I've seen somewhere that they don't use "S" plurals so I've ditched the final S (when I remember!!!) Doubled up letters (not necessarily consecutive) and American (usually older English alternatives) mess me up. I also tend to do it between me getting up and making breakfast and Mrs Nod waking up so quite early in the morning. If I haven't got it in 4 at that time, I leave it until I'm awake!

My original starter was tries but I've seen somewhere that they don't use "S" plurals so I've ditched the final S (when I remember!!!) Doubled up letters (not necessarily consecutive) and American (usually older English alternatives) mess me up. I also tend to do it between me getting up and making breakfast and Mrs Nod waking up so quite early in the morning. If I haven't got it in 4 at that time, I leave it until I'm awake!
They also exclude what they call “cuss words” which probably disadvantages you :LOL: .

The seven commonest letters in English are claimed to be OTNSLCU (in that order. There are 2 obvious 5-letter words pluralised that will occur to you and I bet at least one is banned. COUNT looks to be a good choice but I haven’t tried it.

I’ve been concentrating on getting the vowels but writing this has reminded me that English is more or less readable if you use the consonants only so I’ll be using words with all consonants in future first guesses … umm, that’ll mean a lot of www’s and yyy’s which are not very common anyway :LOL: .

I have an extensive vocabulary! The norty words are an extension of it rather than the backbone (strange as it may seem!) I think I have used count as a first try but I can't be sure.

5 today .... options @ 4 and made the wrong choice :(

All 6 today! y, yy, gggy, gggg, gggg, coffee, ggggg!

4 today. ####O—####O—#OOOO—OOOOO

6! Cor did I start to sweat or what!! :p

Well it looks like 3 is becoming my new normal, 1Y, 1G 2Y, 5G. No doubt it will comeback and bite me now.

2 today! :banana:

I had 2 significant G on first, it's a start word I've used a few times now. That's only my 4th 2 from 57 plays with 100% record, tells you something about the odds

2 today! :banana:

I had 2 significant G on first, it's a start word I've used a few times now. That's only my 4th 2 from 57 plays with 100% record, tells you something about the odds

Yup, a good/lucky first guess can make a huge difference!

Of course, brane fade can stop you seeing the most obvious option for a couple of tries, giving me a 5 today!

5 today.
#####—#O#O#—#O#O#—#O#O#—BO#O#—OOOOO

6 today, 2 wrong guesses with 3 greens.

3 today.

Back to the 4 guesses today

3 for me today. :)

1Y, 2G, then I actually had a proper think before guessing right!

And it did today a 5, 1G 1Y, 1G 1Y, 2G, 3G, 5G.

RESIT worked as a starter for me today, got me there in 3

Yup, a good/lucky first guess can make a huge difference!

Of course, brane fade can stop you seeing the most obvious option for a couple of tries, giving me a 5 today!

Oh I know those mornings too! I have a few 6 on my record, can't for the life of me even recall what those words were. I wish there was a way to cklick through to your old results

Oh I know those mornings too! I have a few 6 on my record, can't for the life of me even recall what those words were. I wish there was a way to cklick through to your old results
Sounds a bit sad, but I log all the results :(

Well, only since I’ve been playing anyhow.

Last edited:
6 today.
B##B#—#BB#O—OO##O—OO##O—OO##O—OOOOO

4 this morning. Fortunately I had 3 G and 1 Y on my third guess :)

Back to 3 for me. g, gyyyy, ggggg.

3 today :banana: ... 3G, Y+ 3G, 5G

A 6 today. 2G, 2G 1Y, 3G, 3G, 3G, 5G. just so many options after 3 guesses but got there just before running out of guesses.

Back