It is a beautiful portrait. And how refreshing to see a bride in what looks like a modest but stylish gown. Too often these days brides 'have it all on show'!

Very nice indeed!

I do find it a bit odd that the sky is darker than the balustrade. What's going on there?

There are a couple of minor things I think I would have done differently but I appreciate that time is limited when doing wedding stuff rather than a staged shoot.

Very nice indeed!

I do find it a bit odd that the sky is darker than the balustrade. What's going on there?

There are a couple of minor things I think I would have done differently but I appreciate that time is limited when doing wedding stuff rather than a staged shoot.

Many thanks

The sky looks funny as there was a very thick fog outside.

I would be interested in hearing the couple of things you would change if you get a second? :)

Many thanks

The sky looks funny as there was a very thick fog outside.

I would be interested in hearing the couple of things you would change if you get a second? :)

That explains it! If the rest of the image wasn't so good I'd have thought it was over-recovered highlights but I was pretty sure that wasn't the case.

These are really small things - I might well have attended to them and then decided that I preferred your version anyway:
  • The hands are a bit fisty. Elegant fingers would be better.
  • Even more twist to the body might have worked well, perhaps making her look even more slender and elegant
  • I'd probably have shot from lower, and included less of the wall above the pelmet, maybe cropping through the pelmet itself. You'd see less of the train but I think the overall result would be a bit more majestic.
Then these depend on having time to process the image, but given time I'd:
  • Straighten the wainscoting on the left of the window
  • Tone down the bright curl of hair in front of the chin
  • Brighten the fog a bit - even though I now know it's fog it still looks odd, esp in the top pane
  • Burn the bright patch of floor on the left to match the right.

... usual disclaimer applies ... I am not really a wedding photographer ...

That explains it! If the rest of the image wasn't so good I'd have thought it was over-recovered highlights but I was pretty sure that wasn't the case.

These are really small things - I might well have attended to them and then decided that I preferred your version anyway:
  • The hands are a bit fisty. Elegant fingers would be better.
  • Even more twist to the body might have worked well, perhaps making her look even more slender and elegant
  • I'd probably have shot from lower, and included less of the wall above the pelmet, maybe cropping through the pelmet itself. You'd see less of the train but I think the overall result would be a bit more majestic.
Then these depend on having time to process the image, but given time I'd:
  • Straighten the wainscoting on the left of the window
  • Tone down the bright curl of hair in front of the chin
  • Brighten the fog a bit - even though I now know it's fog it still looks odd, esp in the top pane
  • Burn the bright patch of floor on the left to match the right.

... usual disclaimer applies ... I am not really a wedding photographer ...

Amazing, thank you very much for the critique

Back