A day at the Mach Loop

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm just about breaking even now with my trips to the Mach Loop in Wales, 2 blanks due to weather conditions and now 2 fantastic days :) Was very worried that Friday was going to be quite as the last week or so has been slow according to the regulars of the Loop but after a slow start we ended up with some great variety topped with fantastic weather

This was the first real test with my new 1Dmk3 and I am very happy with the results. Read so many bad reports of the AI Servo focus system that I was beginning to feel that I had bought a pup. However I ended up with a very high hit rate throughout the day and I am very impressed with the IQ straight out of the camera, which was the main reason for buying.

Thanks for looking, Andy

1)
Hawk

2)
Tornado GR4

3)
Tornado GR4

4)
Tornado GR4

5)
Hawk - Low

6)
Hawk - Low

7)
Tornado F3

8)
Tornado F3

9)
Tornado F3

10)
Hawk T2

11)
Hawk T2

12)
Hawk T2

20)
Hercules

21)
Hercules

22)
Hercules

Not a bad set, although its a real shame you clipped the pitots off the cockpit shots.

Cheesy

Thanks :) Yeah I need to work on my processing and see if I can recover the glare.

Number four is great.
I like the navigator in shot #1 making out that he is taking a shot of you with his imaginary camera.

Looks like you had a reasonable day there Andy great to see some super shots.

Bill

Wow. Great shots.

Super set of shots, nice variety of aircraft too.

F3's still use the loop?

It's not "Cheesy" in the back of the T2 Hawk is it? :)

I really need a trip down there, but time off is at a premium with Ou study getting in the way.

thats great stuff,can you share some of the logistics getting there,staying overnight,grid refferances,tips etc.

Thanks guys, it turned out to be a great day after some really quite days recently. I was surprised to see an F3 come through but very pleased to get some unusual traffic in the Loop :D

As for logistics of the Loop, have a look at Low fly Media as that provides a pretty good overview of all things Loop :cool:

only 1 word needed from me.

Awesome.(y)

And what a good word that is, thanks :D

Spot on and really fine shots,no crit from me ,(and that must be a first :)),and your gear worked great,what lenses did you use please ,and roughly what shutter speeds.?

Spot on and really fine shots,no crit from me ,(and that must be a first :)),and your gear worked great,what lenses did you use please ,and roughly what shutter speeds.?

Thanks, much appreciated :) I was pleased with the 1Dmk3 performance so it's a keeper until I can afford a mk4 :LOL: Lens, I was using was a Canon 300 2.8 IS which I am very happy with.

Shutter speeds were a bit all over the place tbh due to using aperture priority this time out. So as I was panning across the mountain I was getting speeds from 1/800 in the shadows to 1/3200 as they were clearing the ridge and making for the sky. Apart from the Herc which was taken at 1/160.

Last edited:
Excuse my complete lack of knowledge about this, but where is the mach loop? and are the jets flying around everyday or is there a set of particular days when the activity happens?

Would love to give it a go one day!

Edit: ah i see it is indeed a matter of getting lucky on the day! still dont know where in wales it is though

Last edited:
Thanks, much appreciated :) I was pleased with the 1Dmk3 performance so it's a keeper until I can afford a mk4 :LOL: Lens, I was using was a Canon 300 2.8 IS which I am very happy with.

Shutter speeds were a bit all over the place tbh due to using aperture priority this time out. So as I was panning across the mountain I was getting speeds from 1/800 in the shadows to 1/3200 as they were clearing the ridge and making for the sky. Apart from the Herc which was taken at 1/160.

great shots of the F3. Pete's info on lowfly media is very good (inc some good video) However, Pete hasn't been to the Loop for a while, and aircraft movements have sadly declined.
I sort of 'retired' from the Loop last year, and was lucky to have only 3 blanks in 3 years!

I ALWAYS used shutter priority for the Loop without exception.

Just persevere with the Mark III, it's just a matter of fine tuning and practice to increase the hit rate.

Take care,

Philip

Thanks for the comments guys, I hadn't noticed that this thread had been bought back alive! :)

No sadly that was a single ship F3 but I was still very happy to see one at all through the Loop, very rare sight today!!

I normally use shutter priority but that day I gave aperture priority a try as the conditions were fairy awkward on the middle shelf. At this time of year the hill directly in front is in shadow for most of the day so I setup to get about 1/1250 on the hill and then let the camera take it up on the way in and the way out. Seemed to work fairly well :)

Getting a bit chilly up there now and I haven't been for a couple of months but I'm getting that itch again! Need to wrap up warm and go for another trip over to the Loop :)

Stokes, may well do mate, it is a fair way from this part of the UK!! I normally stop off the night before at my mates place in Oxford as that takes an hour off the trip in the morning but I was thinking of staying over in the Loop next time. More the merrier :)

Very nice of you to say so and my pleasure :)

I ALWAYS used shutter priority for the Loop without exception.

Philip
Philip
in most cases I would agree with you but if a beginner with Lenses that have a slow aperture and a poor ISO Camera using Shutter mode would not be the best advice in my opinion
as it gets pretty dark in the Valleys and will result in badly underexposed images and a disappointed photographer
if you auto ISO on a camera that can 'take it' it would be good advice but things can go pair shaped very quickly using shutter mode if its dark 'ish'
which it often is

as for these images obviously taken with very high quality equipment and the results pretty much speak for them selves
some outstanding images... and very Lucky to have got an F3 down Low
well done
Chris

Stokes, may well do mate, it is a fair way from this part of the UK!! I normally stop off the night before at my mates place in Oxford as that takes an hour off the trip in the morning but I was thinking of staying over in the Loop next time. More the merrier :)

Its on my list to, would be keen on meeting up / sharing fuel. would want to stay overnight and try and get two days out of it

this may be a repost and apologies for the source (cant stand this newspaper) but found it funny nonetheless!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-stupid-sign-at-pilot-of-1400mph-Tornado.html

And thanks to that little article and the individual who made a couple of quid selling the pics, low level flying and photography thereof came to a sudden end in the UK :bang: It's never recovered back to the same levels and now we make do with many blank days in the hope of one or two aircraft coming through :razz:

And thanks to that little article and the individual who made a couple of quid selling the pics, low level flying and photography thereof came to a sudden end in the UK :bang: It's never recovered back to the same levels and now we make do with many blank days in the hope of one or two aircraft coming through :razz:

really? didn't know that! all the more reason to dislike that rag then.

The man was a prat. Simple. Spoilt it for the pilots and the togs. Some shots you post, some you don't.
There was always a mutual respect. Greed ruined that.

A very nice set Andy.

Kev.

Last edited:
Well said Kev (y) and thanks :D

Really nice, I'm going to have to get myself to the loop one of these days. I can't help feeling that the more distant shots are a bit washed out though.

Back