A little challenge? 36EXP project.

robhooley167

Sir, my fingers are stuck together
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi gang

After having a chat with a few of the good fellows at the Edinburgh meet about a small project I missed out on doing a couple of years ago. I've decided to have a crack at it now and I was curious to see if anyone else fancied joining in for the hell of it.

It's called the 36EXP project, mainly because you have 36 shots (simple innit?), the name of the game is to shoot a single roll of 35mm (no more, no less) on a theme of your choosing and produce a contact print of that whole roll. From this contact print you choose 3 shots and print them. Still with me?

One of the aims is to show your process, warts and all. Duffers and duplicates, hits and misses alike from frame 1 to frame 36 all exhibited in their glory alongside a few of your favourites in a sort of mini exhibition.

So, anyone fancy it?

Participants
Robhooley167
Raglansurf
Nikon Nick
Andysnap
Medwaygreen
Stevelmx5
Menthel
Strappy
Mr Will
Desf
Jao
ChrisR
Woodsy
Southdowns
Steve
Steve Smith
Sectionate
Wickerman
Dale Loynes
Steveo_mcg
Oy
Thecornflake
Essexash?
Excalibur2?

Results thread : http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/36-exp-project-results.553988/

Last edited:
Count me in (y) It's a great idea for a challenge, it may even encourage me to try out AG's Dev and Contact service.

Sounds like a cracking project. Do we all shoot the same theme or a theme of our own choosing?

Choose your own theme Andy

Okey doke.....now, what theme, what camera, what film?..... :thinking:

Could be fun using my Konica Centuria 200 expired in 2002 and trying to get a few favourite shots to look decent in Photoshop......for a mini exhibition :eek:

I like the sound of this,but,just to check. We scan and post the whole contact sheet(36) and then three selections from that which we scan PP and resize and then post alongside as our favorites,is that right?

So that's 3 rolls of 6*6... :)

Chris,even i read 35mm no more no less. :). ChrisR should have a new tag,always trying to move the goal posts,copy sent to TBY. :)

I like the sound of this,but,just to check. We scan and post the whole contact sheet(36) and then three selections from that which we scan PP and resize and then post alongside as our favorites,is that right?

Bang on

Oh man, I'm going to have to buy some 35mm kit now....more toys!

Edit: To protect my marriage and certain parts of my anatomy seeing as I've got 16 rolls of 120 en route...can anyone lend me an OM body of any kind to bolt onto the back of my 50mm/1.8? :0)

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Oh man, I'm going to have to buy some 35mm kit now....more toys!

Edit: To protect my marriage and certain parts of my anatomy seeing as I've got 16 rolls of 120 en route...can anyone lend me an OM body of any kind to bolt onto the back of my 50mm/1.8? :0)

Cheers
Steve
I've got an OM 2n you can borrow Steve. Unless you can find something more local.

Thanks Nick, much appreciated :0)

Coincidentally I nearly bought a 35RC yesterday but unfortunately the seller ended up giving it away to a family member!

If you pass me your details I can send over postage cost for the OM2 if that's ok?

Cheers
Steve

That reminds me, I need to get my Canon A-1 back from @PMN, he's had it so long I'd forgotten I even owned one :p

Reactions: PMN
Ahhh, probably the kind of thing that might get me taking photos again. I have a theme in mind and some ideas. I know what camera, lens and film I would use. However, knowing me I would probably not manage it.

But bugger it, sign me up. I will see what I can do.

Thanks Nick, much appreciated :0)

Coincidentally I nearly bought a 35RC yesterday but unfortunately the seller ended up giving it away to a family member!

If you pass me your details I can send over postage cost for the OM2 if that's ok?

Cheers
Steve
No problem Steve, I'll sort it out when I get home.

Well your Bessa R3a of course,oopps,I have that. :) sorry mate.

Grrr, pesky, sassenfrassen Richard, bessa, grumble, whinge, moan.....:D

I think I might actually dust off the little Minolta Hi-matic.

will have to splurge on some decent film, poundland is only 24exp!

It normally takes me about 36 rolls to get 3 exposures I'm happy with :(

Is there a timescale or will this be an on-going thing?

It's more of an ongoing thing, it might take some people a while to find a theme or get a camera prepared etc.

Fair enough. Count me in, please. I need to challenge myself rather than sit back and complain that I never seem to improve my photography. :)

Of course!

Hopefully there's room for a fat beggar too! Just one thing, are these to be real prints on paper (from the basic scans) or virtual prints? If they're to be real prints, what size are they supposed to be? And where do we send them? (That's 2 things - fear and surprise...) Oh, and what if we get more than 36 exposures on a roll? (Ruthless efficiency to boot!!!)

Pretty sure I got a couple of 36s from Poundland last time I bought some.

Hi Nod, course there's room for another!

For the ease of displaying it for now, lets go with virtual prints. However the contact prints will probably come back from the lab in paper form, these can easily be scanned in though.

Who knows, if we can get this going we can always look into making a photobook from it.

Chris,even i read 35mm no more no less. :). ChrisR should have a new tag,always trying to move the goal posts,copy sent to TBY. :)

Oh dear, :oops: :$ I can read but not necessarily hold 2 sentences in my brain for 2 minutes. Anyway, count me in... err, what is it we're talking about? o_O

Rob, really excellent project, can I join in! We could end up with a TP F&C version of Magnum's Contact Sheets!

The more the merrier! The last group I saw do one of these projects had 36 members!

Reactions: Jao
I like the idea of a photo book of the contact prints...I love photo books.

I'm in. Good opportunity to give my new little XA3 a workout. I always struggle trying to work out what I want and like to take photos of (unless I'm on holiday), so this will also give the brain a workout. The XA3 is loaded with 24exp Poundland, so if you don't mind, I may have to cheat and make it 1.5 rolls!

I'm in. Good opportunity to give my new little XA3 a workout. I always struggle trying to work out what I want and like to take photos of (unless I'm on holiday), so this will also give the brain a workout. The XA3 is loaded with 24exp Poundland, so if you don't mind, I may have to cheat and make it 1.5 rolls!

There's no rush to do it with this roll, in fact there's no real time frame for this at all!

It takes me about a year to shoot a roll of film :/ I'll give it a go if that works though! Good incentive to get the FM3a out and about... though I have naff all time until March :( Will see what I can do - Count me in.

It takes me about a year to shoot a roll of film :/ I'll give it a go if that works though! Good incentive to get the FM3a out and about... though I have naff all time until March :( Will see what I can do - Count me in.

Tell me about it, I've got 6 days from submission of my MSc dissertation to starting over in Leeds, might have some free time in about 4 years...

There's no rush to do it with this roll, in fact there's no real time frame for this at all!
Tell me about it, I've got 6 days from submission of my MSc dissertation to starting over in Leeds, might have some free time in about 4 years...
At your current shooting rate a completion date of 2018 is probably about right. Shouldn't we aim for some sort of notional date to get this done by? Some of us aren't getting any younger you know ;)

Reactions: Jao
Back