Affinity Photo 2.0. 9th November?

thanks that’s good to know, I was wondering about installing it, Affinity version 2 on my windows PC as well (my main machine is an M1 MacBook Pro)
although I don’t use the PC so much now as it’s well out of date and struggles a bit with the large files from my R5
What OS is the PC running?

Ahh I see thanks that’s good to know, I may as well install it
PC is an old Dell was originally windows 7 but updated to 10 when they offered it as a free upgrade

I have also got Affinity version 1 for iPad which is excellent but I don’t actually use it very often because it’s hard work using an external drive with the iPad pro, uploading photos to an external drive from a memory card takes forever, I now use the laptop for trips away

I have also got Affinity version 1 for iPad which is excellent but I don’t actually use it very often because it’s hard work using an external drive with the iPad pro, uploading photos to an external drive from a memory card takes forever, I now use the laptop for trips away
Yes, that is an absolute pain.
My daughter uses one for illustration, and she bought one in 2019, but the memory got full, and there was not enough memory to transfer it!.

She bough a new one (1TB I think) and eventually we managed to back up the old and restore to the new one. I have now made one of the NAS boxes accept webdav connections, and she has bough more icloud storage.

Half the problem is that you can't access the storage area of some apps on the ipad.

The problem is that the app she uses only runs on an ipad!

And a question, can you access the Affinity files on the ipad directly?

Yes, that is an absolute pain.
My daughter uses one for illustration, and she bought one in 2019, but the memory got full, and there was not enough memory to transfer it!.

She bough a new one (1TB I think) and eventually we managed to back up the old and restore to the new one. I have now made one of the NAS boxes accept webdav connections, and she has bough more icloud storage.

Half the problem is that you can't access the storage area of some apps on the ipad.

The problem is that the app she uses only runs on an ipad!

yes it was really disappointing as the Affinity app on iPad is excellent , I didn’t want to copy the camera raws onto the iPad itself but work from an external drive but as far as I can figure out Apple has restricted the copying speed onto an external drive via the iPad I can’t see any other reason for it
that’s frustrating if the app she uses is iPad only

And a question, can you access the Affinity files on the ipad directly?

do you mean the Affinity photo edited images ? Yes if I copy the file onto the iPad I can access it with Affinity and go back and access it again with Affinity, can’t remember details though sorry it been a while since I used Affinity on my iPad , I just use the MacBook Pro now

do you mean the Affinity photo edited images ? Yes if I copy the file onto the iPad I can access it with Affinity and go back and access it again with Affinity, can’t remember details though sorry it been a while since I used Affinity on my iPad , I just use the MacBook Pro now
Thanks, I may try Affinity Design on her ipad then, would be useful if I could use it on there, but only if I can easily copy the files off.

I am hoping that they don’t go with subscription model , I went to affinity from Adobe because I didn’t want that
would be great if they improved the already excellent focus stacking tool , also would be nice to be able to correct the black white and grey points in curves like in photoshop
If you open curves, then select Grey, you can adjust the black and white points and the curve, is that what you need?

I am starting to use Affinity 2 more now , getting used to the slight differences
Its now easier to clone(heal) from part of one image to another, when you click on clone brush tool you now get the option to use a global source with Affinity 1 you had to go through a few steps on the view tab

So the wife has offered to buy me the package for Christmas (assuming I buy it with a discount).

Now I have been following this thread and have no idea what half the stuff means (computers and such are not my strong point). So, as a windows user am I okay to get this software and just use it as is? Or should I wait for these changes to be made? I will only download and use it as it is, I have no other software or processing things.

Cheers,
Ad

Yes, it will work as it is.

The problems are with using it from other programmes, and also the installation method, which won't worry you if you just want to use it as it is.

was about to ask the same :)

Okay folks, sorry to ask a stupid question.

Now that I have the new Affinity Photo 2 (and the others thanks Mrs A) do I need to keep Affinity Photo V1 or can that be deleted from the machine?
It is separate, so you can keep or delete, they don't affect each other.
If you had any plugins etc for V1 they should work on V2

I kept 2 versions of On1 as one you could add a frame and the other you couldn’t which was needed for camera club submissions

There is an interesting video from Robin Whalley on double raw processing, which couldn't be done with V1.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc3lbiIhFMo

I wonder if this might also address some of the shadow/highlight concerns there have been about raw processing in AP
.... Hmm, this seems to all take a lot time.

Having now given up using Capture One I find that ON1 2023 can do all of this much more quickly and simply with its Super Select AI tool which creates editable masks using AI and offers dozens of ON1's Presets and Effects filters which are in turn manually editable. It could not be simpler.

Currently I only use Affinity Photo (V2) to create my watermark layer.

So how does Affinity Photos V2's RAW conversion compare with Capture One's?

So how does Affinity Photos V2's RAW conversion compare with Capture One's?
I've no idea :-(

The double processing is a common approach with LR/ACR/C1 to increase dynamic range before sending to Photoshop. One file biased towards the highlights and one file biased towards the shadow which are then blended in Photoshop.

Still not sure if I’m going to upgrade to V2 yet. Up until now, I’ve only really been using it for focus stacking. I now have the focus stacking extension for Luminar Neo, which currently seems to work well. Still doing some testing on it with some old raw files, but I may not need Affinity at all…

Still not sure if I’m going to upgrade to V2 yet. Up until now, I’ve only really been using it for focus stacking. I now have the focus stacking extension for Luminar Neo, which currently seems to work well. Still doing some testing on it with some old raw files, but I may not need Affinity at all…
Yes, I've been using it for focus stacking and panorama stitching. No raw conversion, since I use film. At the moment, I can't see a reason to upgrade! (I probably ought to learn how to use some of V1's other features, but C1Pro seems to do nearly everything I need... except printing with borders!)

but C1Pro seems to do nearly everything I need... except printing with borders!)
You could try this (I haven't. It's Mac only)...

"Magick Frames makes it fast and easy to add an optional print border or matte bevel or matted wall frame, a 3-dimensional shadow, your own text or graphic logo, and a colorful or transparent matte around your photographs. Best of all, you get this with a single drag-n-drop."

There is a short video here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkRCjbNo11M

Walter Rowe is professional photographer who has a C1 group on facebook, and he wrote this for his own use.

You could try this (I haven't. It's Mac only)...

"Magick Frames makes it fast and easy to add an optional print border or matte bevel or matted wall frame, a 3-dimensional shadow, your own text or graphic logo, and a colorful or transparent matte around your photographs. Best of all, you get this with a single drag-n-drop."

There is a short video here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkRCjbNo11M

Walter Rowe is professional photographer who has a C1 group on facebook, and he wrote this for his own use.
.... Hmm, I use my own created and saved Styles in Affinity Publisher V2 - Much less complicated than delving into the gobblygook world of creating scripts/applets. I Export my images from ON1 2023 into Affinity Photo to then apply my various watermark labels when wanted.

.... Hmm, I use my own created and saved Styles in Affinity Publisher V2 - Much less complicated than delving into the gobblygook world of creating scripts/applets. I Export my images from ON1 2023 into Affinity Photo to then apply my various watermark labels when wanted.
I didn't realise it involved creating scripts and applets, it's had favourable comments from the people who have used it.

I didn't realise it involved creating scripts and applets, it's had favourable comments from the people who have used it.
.... It certainly offers good results as his video demonstrates and I have no doubt many find it really useful - It's me, and people like me, who don't want to have to initially write a deeper level script to set up each design. So applying border styles in Affinity publisher V2 is easier.

Another alternative, if you are a ON1 RAW 2023 user, is their AI Resize which is also available as standalone, I think(?). It offers the ability to extend images to wrap around edges such as when block mounting but does so by adding and therefore restains your original image without cropping it < Another clever use of AI.

"There is more than one way to skin a cat" as the expression goes. :exit:

.... It certainly offers good results as his video demonstrates and I have no doubt many find it really useful - It's me, and people like me, who don't want to have to initially write a deeper level script to set up each design. So applying border styles in Affinity publisher V2 is easier.

Another alternative, if you are a ON1 RAW 2023 user, is their AI Resize which is also available as standalone, I think(?). It offers the ability to extend images to wrap around edges such as when block mounting but does so by adding and therefore restains your original image without cropping it < Another clever use of AI.

"There is more than one way to skin a cat" as the expression goes. :exit:
It's not something that interests me that much, I was just going on the comments from people who had downloaded it and used it. It does however provide a solution for those who don't have access to another program.

But to follow on from your ON1 comment, I have thought for some time that the ON1 Photo effects plugin (which they say works with C1) would be a potentially useful tool for C1 users

It includes adding borders in its list of capabilities (but gives no details), along with AI selections, masking and presets. The latter which you can also edit and save. But other than listing borders as a feature, I can't find any details. I assume this is all built into ON1 Raw, so you will know what it does (maybe it shares the border tools, you mention from Resize)

It's actually an interesting list of Plugins that ON1 now offer for C1 (and other programs, LR etc, but not many include C1).

.... Hmm, I use my own [borders] created and saved Styles in Affinity Publisher V2 - Much less complicated than delving into the gobblygook world of creating scripts/applets. I Export my images from ON1 2023 into Affinity Photo to then apply my various watermark labels when wanted.
Someone on another thread in the Print subforum mentioned QImage, which seems to have very powereful capabilities for printing, including borders and captions. Not cheap, however (US$97 for a lifetime licence)! Otherwise there was talk of using Affinity Photo to do it (I have version 1, but very little skill as noted above). I looked through the workbook, and couldn't see anything about creating borders in A/Photo, so have been planning to do a search for YT videos which might possibly cover the topic. Is it possible (I really mean simple) to create borders in A/Photo alone?

I also have a copy of Affinity Publisher (again V1) bought to make a Zine but never used yet. I was pretty sure that would have the capability to create borders and you've confirmed that. What I couldn't work out from the above is whether the image to be printed goes from A/Photo to A/Publisher to get its border/caption and be printed, or whether once a border has somehow been created, it (the border) can be imported into A/Photo, have the image blended into it via layers (or somehow) and printed from there?

OT: what a pain calling your photo editing app Photo or Photos is! Come on you marketing folk, use your brains!

Someone on another thread in the Print subforum mentioned QImage, which seems to have very powereful capabilities for printing, including borders and captions. Not cheap, however (US$97 for a lifetime licence)! Otherwise there was talk of using Affinity Photo to do it (I have version 1, but very little skill as noted above). I looked through the workbook, and couldn't see anything about creating borders in A/Photo, so have been planning to do a search for YT videos which might possibly cover the topic. Is it possible (I really mean simple) to create borders in A/Photo alone?

I also have a copy of Affinity Publisher (again V1) bought to make a Zine but never used yet. I was pretty sure that would have the capability to create borders and you've confirmed that. What I couldn't work out from the above is whether the image to be printed goes from A/Photo to A/Publisher to get its border/caption and be printed, or whether once a border has somehow been created, it (the border) can be imported into A/Photo, have the image blended into it via layers (or somehow) and printed from there?

OT: what a pain calling your photo editing app Photo or Photos is! Come on you marketing folk, use your brains!
I take it you don't fancy giving Magick Frames a go, or have you tried it and found it too complicated (o unsuitable), as Robin suggested?

Qimage, easy to use, does what it was made to do, very helpful forum loads tutorials on YouTube, 10/10. But all JMO. RUSS

I take it you don't fancy giving Magick Frames a go, or have you tried it and found it too complicated (o unsuitable), as Robin suggested?
Github.... runs away screaming!

My days of finagling UNIX scripts are way behind me... ;-)

Github.... runs away screaming!

My days of finagling UNIX scripts are way behind me... ;-)
Github is used as a repository for lots of files including DMGs and EXEs, but having now looked at it, I see it does require the use of terminal and some scripting.

As I said to Robin, I suggested looking at it on the basis of users recommending it and hadn't actually looked at it, sorry it wasn't of any use to you.

Last edited:
Lance on Mastodon writes:

"I'm just getting around to setting up the new version of Affinity Photo as my external editor in Exposure X7. And there's a big problem. Apparently, some new programs now install as "Windows Apps," and these don't use the standard file paths. They are special MSIX installers that restrict how you can access programs."

Apparently this is a known problem and Serif are working on it. Anyone here had this issue?

I'm sticking with V1! (I only use <1% of the current features, anyway!)

Back