Affinity Photo 2.0. 9th November?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Serif are posting teaser videos for something big on the 9th that "we have all been waiting for".

"Complete redesign, new way of working and hundreds of new features"

Hard to not think it's version 2.0, and the first paid for upgrade, in years.

The video is embedded in Facebook, and doesn't say anymore than I've said here, but without the speculation that it's version 2.

It will be interesting to see what they have done.

I'm happy with it as it is, for what I use it for,
I wouldn't bother paying for an up-grade.
It'd have to be pretty spectacular to tempt me.

It has been a long time in coming so it will be interesting to see what features have been improved and what has been added.

I've now had an email from Serif with a link to the same video - I assume everyone else has as well.

I've now had an email from Serif with a link to the same video - I assume everyone else has as well.
Yes, I had the email a short while ago.

I will have to look on the forum later today to see if there is now some chatter about it there?

Last edited:
Hopefully the shadows/highlight tools will be better, they are not a patch on those in C1, IMHO. Other than that, I do like Affinity for some of its features.

I suspect one of the big differences will be a Serif version of Bridge, but as proper DAM that integrates files from Photo, Designer and Publisher (Plus PDF etc).

I suspect one of the big differences will be a Serif version of Bridge, but as proper DAM that integrates files from Photo, Designer and Publisher (Plus PDF etc).
As above, I wouldn't use any of that, I'm happy with CS5, as my primary editing programme.

I like AP but if they start to charge they will loose folk.
I would suspect that if any of this is true, having already bought the programme, you would only pay for the ( any) upgrades.

They sent me a survey to fill out a little while ago, there were hints that they may move to a monthly charge.

I like AP but if they start to charge they will loose folk.

Totally agree! I made that clear on the survey :LOL:

Hmmm?

As v1 saw regular updates I suppose it is possible, though hopefully not, that could adopt the perpetual license and/or subscription license model.

Where non subscription users only get bug fixes and limited feature improvements compared to subscription users.

Personally I like perpetual license software.

Just got the email as well. I do like Affinity, but to be honest I only really use it for things like focus stacking or HDR merges, even though I know it does a whole lot more. Subscription would be a shame as I moved to Affinity to escape the Adobe subscriptions, but I guess this is the way businesses are going these days.

Just got the email as well. I do like Affinity, but to be honest I only really use it for things like focus stacking or HDR merges, even though I know it does a whole lot more
That is pretty much all I use it for, too.

Exciting news , I had the email today too, was going to post here :)
I am hoping that they don’t go with subscription model , I went to affinity from Adobe because I didn’t want that
would be great if they improved the already excellent focus stacking tool , also would be nice to be able to correct the black white and grey points in curves like in photoshop

Hate those words!
Why does nobody cater for the grumpy old men out there that hate change?
Email ... what email?
Because not all of us are grumpy and hate change :)

The email just linked you to the video posted on facebook and the Serif Youtube channel

I only use Affinity Publisher instead of Adobe InDesign but it does need many of its features updating.

Capture One 2022 is my RAW editor plus ON1 2023 as a big plug-in.

Last edited:
Serif are posting teaser videos for something big on the 9th that "we have all been waiting for".

"Complete redesign, new way of working and hundreds of new features"

The video is embedded in Facebook, and doesn't say anymore than I've said here, but without the speculation that it's version 2.

It will be interesting to see what they have done.
Was my thinking too. I’ll buy it if it is

Affinity Photo is such a fantastic replacement for Photoshop I hope they perform the same magic and create a Lightroom killer

I use Designer and Publisher way more than Photo, and I am very happy with the current versions, but I always thought the business model needed v2 software to survive financially.

I use Designer and Publisher way more than Photo, and I am very happy with the current versions, but I always thought the business model needed v2 software to survive financially.
.... Same here. In fact although it's installed, I haven't used Affinity Photo yet. I still have a Lumix Panasonic TZ60 (was mislaid in a draw!) and am going to use it to convert my RAW files from that camera as Capture One doesn't support those files.

I use Publisher quite a lot and coming from Adobe InDesign from its birth (I was a pre-release tester for the first 4 years of its life) I find that Publisher really ought to make some fundamental improvements in how its navigation works < Page navigation immediately springs to mind as in the side bar it simply doesn't work at all.

Last edited:
I use Publisher for hand made book pages and also PDFs for books. I hope they don't go subscription and they are creating a Lightroom equivalent. One monthly subscription is enough for me. I don't. use it enough to justify paying monhtly.

I use Publisher for hand made book pages and also PDFs for books. I hope they don't go subscription and they are creating a Lightroom equivalent. One monthly subscription is enough for me. I don't. use it enough to justify paying monhtly.
.... Without spending time searching for it, I am pretty sure I read a statement from Affinity's developer Serif that they were not intending to go to subscription. "No subscription needed" has been a strong statement in their marketing to date.

They will be very aware of the general unpopularity of the subscription model. At worst I suppose that subscription might be offered as an option rather than a necessity.

I feel the same as you do on this - I am a 'retired-but-hardwired' professional graphic designer and art director and can't afford subscriptions just to enjoy my retirement from the commercial industry.

.... Without spending time searching for it, I am pretty sure I read a statement from Affinity's developer Serif that they were not intending to go to subscription. "No subscription needed" has been a strong statement in their marketing to date.

They will be very aware of the general unpopularity of the subscription model. At worst I suppose that subscription might be offered as an option rather than a necessity.

I feel the same as you do on this - I am a 'retired-but-hardwired' professional graphic designer and art director and can't afford subscriptions just to enjoy my retirement from the commercial industry.

know what you mean I’m retired as well and don’t have the spare cash for a subscription but happy to buy a decent program to work on my photos
at the moment I use DXO photolab to convert raws and affinity to finish off
if they improve things like the already good image stacking tool and colour correction is improved I’ll get the new version
if the update is more about cataloging etc of images then I won’t bother as I probably wouldn’t use that feature anyway

know what you mean I’m retired as well and don’t have the spare cash for a subscription but happy to buy a decent program to work on my photos
at the moment I use DXO photolab to convert raws and affinity to finish off
.... I only use Affinity Publisher, might use Designer but doubtful on Photo. My RAW conversions etc are done in Capture One and plug-ins.
if they improve things like the already good image stacking tool and colour correction is improved I’ll get the new version
if the update is more about cataloging etc of images then I won’t bother as I probably wouldn’t use that feature anyway
.... Affinity are relatively new in the market and so there is plenty for them to catch up with if they want to stay desirable.

It's only a couple of days to go now before we find out exactly what the upgrades are but a version upgrade is usually much more than just an update.

.... I only use Affinity Publisher, might use Designer but doubtful on Photo. My RAW conversions etc are done in Capture One and plug-ins.

.... Affinity are relatively new in the market and so there is plenty for them to catch up with if they want to stay desirable.

It's only a couple of days to go now before we find out exactly what the upgrades are but a version upgrade is usually much more than just an update.
Affinity may be fairly new, but I was using Serif photo software, and their web authoring software in 2002

What I don't see is any hype from them, when the likes of On1, Topaz, etc etc are due to release even just an upgrade YouTube is full of experts saying what is and what isn't good or bad what will be different from the current version, will there be an offer for those who already own the current version?
Serif/Affinity is being very quite, maybe it's the European way where as in the USA everyone wants to tell you there the best?

What I don't see is any hype from them, when the likes of On1, Topaz, etc etc are due to release even just an upgrade YouTube is full of experts saying what is and what isn't good or bad what will be different from the current version, will there be an offer for those who already own the current version?
Serif/Affinity is being very quite, maybe it's the European way where as in the USA everyone wants to tell you there the best?
.... :agree: I couldn't agree more! It's easy to ignore the YouTube stuff although some reviews and tutorials can be useful but at least you can select what you want to watch or not. But staying subscribed for more important info it gets greatly irritating to receive all the unwanted marketing emails from the likes of ON1 and others. Even Olympus OM Systems do it daily and if you unsubscribe you lose your warranty benefits!

Back