Affinity Photo 2.0. 9th November?

No, they are installed the same way.

I get the feeling they are getting into a bit of a blind panic, and still getting things wrong.

Those solutions will not work in all cases without other changes, no doubt they will catch up with that tomorrow or so.

You notice they also say "unfortunately it is down to each third party app to support execution alias .exe files when launching external applications." so if yours doesn't work tough!!!

"How to Win Friends and Influence People"
I have looked at and tried all the suggestions here

And none of them 'work' for me :(

IMO Serif have got their knickers in a twist by, apparently, adopting the new MS .msix installer method. They as they say are "ahead of the curve...." but have they truly understood the 'methodology' and/or made a cockup when it comes to Windows users expectations and ways of working :thinking:

FWIW I use FastRawViewer and you manually add external editors, it works simply and elegantly for any program where the path to the .exe is there. Serif by adopting(?) the APP route are going to leave behind many users and potential future users if they cannot resolve this "error on their part" :(

I have looked at and tried all the suggestions here

And none of them 'work' for me :(

IMO Serif have got their knickers in a twist by, apparently, adopting the new MS .msix installer method. They as they say are "ahead of the curve...." but have they truly understood the 'methodology' and/or made a cockup when it comes to Windows users expectations and ways of working :thinking:

FWIW I use FastRawViewer and you manually add external editors, it works simply and elegantly for any program where the path to the .exe is there. Serif by adopting(?) the APP route are going to leave behind many users and potential future users if they cannot resolve this "error on their part" :(
This still puzzled me so had another look at usage of this path
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_3cqzy0nppv2rt\AffinityPhoto2.exe

Which I had originally gotten/created using the Task Manager method and did not work.
So, I used the search to find AffinityPhoto2.exe and that took me like the Task Manager method into the Windows App folder and copied the path from there.....................and lo & behold by adding that path (again) to FRV it now opens APv2

But as I said & inferred above.....the end user should not have to faff around to add such usage to their other programmes :headbang:

PS off not to try the same path in another program of my choice ;)
Edit ~ the program is DxO PL and it seems there can only be one export application as I cannot see any way to add more :thinking: and at this stage even if I could it relies on the Windows search system to locate the .exe and cannot copy and paste as above with FRV!

Last edited:
This still puzzled me so had another look at usage of this path
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_3cqzy0nppv2rt\AffinityPhoto2.exe

Which I had originally gotten/created using the Task Manager method and did not work.
So, I used the search to find AffinityPhoto2.exe and that took me like the Task Manager method into the Windows App folder and copied the path from there.....................and lo & behold by adding that path (again) to FRV it now opens APv2

But as I said & inferred above.....the end user should not have to faff around to add such usage to their other programmes :headbang:

PS off not to try the same path in another program of my choice ;)
There are some good offers on macs at the mo

Seems they have given up for now.
If they want the customers they are losing, and not going to get, they will have to re-package it to install as a normal programme.

11c.jpg

Notice they have edited the FAQ post with the new info, but left the date :)

There have already been comments that it is not out of their hands, they made the decision

"Clearly Serif knew there was this problem and went ahead as apps, so no its them that have created the problem and expect every other program publisher bail them out. Given many commercial computers have apps blocked it was a doubly stupid thing to have done, who are they trying to attract professional users who many will be blocked from installing let alone using the apps."

And other comments about passing the buck.

What a pity they choose this route, they have a basically good product, which although I'm sure it will still sell, it could have been handles a lot better which undoubtedly would have helped it sell more.

To say "This can only be rectified by the developer of the third party app" is poor, and untrue, because it could be solved by them re-packaging into a normal programme installer.

Seems they have given up for now.
If they want the customers they are losing, and not going to get, they will have to re-package it to install as a normal programme.

View attachment 373147

Notice they have edited the FAQ post with the new info, but left the date :)

There have already been comments that it is not out of their hands, they made the decision

"Clearly Serif knew there was this problem and went ahead as apps, so no its them that have created the problem and expect every other program publisher bail them out. Given many commercial computers have apps blocked it was a doubly stupid thing to have done, who are they trying to attract professional users who many will be blocked from installing let alone using the apps."

And other comments about passing the buck.

What a pity they choose this route, they have a basically good product, which although I'm sure it will still sell, it could have been handles a lot better which undoubtedly would have helped it sell more.

To say "This can only be rectified by the developer of the third party app" is poor, and untrue, because it could be solved by them re-packaging into a normal programme installer.

Oh dear, it does seem that a significant number of the past and future customers their last words on the situation might well cause them great difficulties. To on the one hand state that they are ahead of the curve in regard to adopting .msix installers is one thing but to then in effect blame the problem on those other very worthy programming companies for not keeping up is crass in the extreme.

If they want to save face and retain what I surmise is a large community of users then their only course of action is to restructure it and make, in addition to the .msix, a conventional installer for the techy & geeky users amongst 'us' ;)
So it seems Something Big is a screw up.
Just what struck me when I thought about the something big 'promo' .

As its stands now I will have to think longer if the issue of external program linking is a deal breaker because though not too onerous to save a file and then use the right context menu to open it in AP v2, it is a clumsy workflow. Plus, as I previously mentioned I could & hope to find Designer and Publisher useful in future ~ decisions, decisions :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Last edited:
Exactly the point I was making, plus what percentage of end users actually know how to do that?
Its beginning to look as though they should have released this as a Beta and let some people test it in a real world scenario.

What ever they are called, I don't want a programme that I have to alter or modify in some way.
.... :agree: All that gooblygook computer code is scary! It's scary because if you are not familiar with coded commands and don't know exactly what you are doing, the result could be a tangled up ball of string which the cat has been playing with.

Now if you had a Mac .............. :exit:

Last edited:
.... :agree: All that gooblygook computer code is scary! It's scary because if you are not familiar with coded commands and don't know exactly what you are doing, the result could be a tangled up ball of string which the cat has been playing with.
Yep, that's me :D

Now if you had a Mac .............. :exit:
I'm too damned old to learn a new operating system!

BUT, I bought a "back up" W10 laptop awhile ago, it wasn't that much of a leap from W7.
But with each update it slowly went to W11.
There was so much crap that came with the final update, I'm still trying to figure out what I need and what I don't need.
I'm sure there are loads!

^ ^ ^ Lots of Windows users expressing their frustration (Thank goodness I was born in Macdom!).

It will get solved in due course - It's too important not to be.

This won't help but I'm thinking that Serif's software development is much more biassed towards the macOS. Afterall, Macs are more designed for the creative community and Windows for the business people.

Yep, that's me :D

Wouldn't let that put you off, you either do it their way or you don't do it. Nothing to learn.

And when they don't do as they should, you confine them to a cupboard and buy a PC :)

Of course, you pay so much for them, you would never admit there was anything wrong!

No Windows 7 support on v2. I still use a W7 machine with a GTX-1070 for photo-editing so it looks I will be staying with v1. I have the Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher packages on that.

It will get solved in due course - It's too important not to be.
I'm not convinced TBH, it just seems that M$ is going further down the rabbit hole.
Otherwise we would still have XP Pro (y)

BUT, I bought a "back up" W10 laptop awhile ago, it wasn't that much of a leap from W7.
But with each update it slowly went to W11.
There was so much crap that came with the final update, I'm still trying to figure out what I need and what I don't need.
I'm sure there are loads!
.... But that's the beauty of Macs, the operating system takes care of everything behind the scenes and it's more intuitive and easy to use anyway.

Plus, Apple's techsupport is top notch. I have used their support regularly since 1998 and I never hesitate to phone them. What's Microsoft support like? (I don't actually know).

Yes, Macs are more expensive but you get what you pay for. A bit like those machines they call cameras really, and especially lenses!

It's probably not a good idea for a Mac vs Windows slagging match to kick off here! I thought those wars had ended years ago.

.... No I haven't because I have never tried V1 Affinity Photo but only Publisher and Designer.

Serif have only stated a performance boost for V2 Publisher and they ain't telling any porky-pies about that! It's absolutely true, immediately noticeable. I just don't know if they have given V2 Photo a performance boost but it is logical that a performance boost would apply globally.

The V2 Trial version will certainly help you decide yay or nay. Sorry I can't be more help.

I currently use Capture One 22 and ON1 2023 for work on my RAW image files but I will occasionally find Photo usefully time-saving when I have an image file already imported into Publisher or Designer and want to tweek or manipulate it because I can then do so without leaving Publisher.

As both my Olympus TG-6 and OM-1 have onboard Focus Stacking I have not needed to focus stack externally but in the past a long time ago I have used Affinity to combine focus bracketed images and very fluidly and successfully - Fun and educating to watch it build the layers.

In the end I have bought the version 2 affinity photo I thought that as I use it so much I may as well get the latest version
Yes the focus stacking tool is excellent and fascinating watching it build up the image

Last edited:
What's Microsoft support like? (I don't actually know).
I've only needed them once, and it was spot on (y)

But that's the beauty of Macs, the operating system takes care of everything behind the scenes and it's more intuitive and easy to use anyway.
I'm not complaining about the OS just the amount of ( what I think is) junk that is placed on the PC, well laptop in my case,
especially when it only has a small amount of memory and disc space to start with.

It's probably not a good idea for a Mac vs Windows slagging match to kick off here!

Yeah lets not do that Eh? :D

Last edited:
In the end I have bought the version 2 affinity photo I thought that as I use it so much I may as well get the latest version
Yes the focus stacking tool is excellent and fascinating watching it build up the image
I deleted the trial version once I had found it
Think I'll enjoy a pint or two more for my 36 quid.
Why oh why do these companies never thoroughly test their wares before launching them?

"It's probably not a good idea for a Mac vs Windows slagging match to kick off here! I thought those wars had ended years ago"

Not a slagging match, just a response to your comments :)

In 1993 I started doing typesetting/layout/graphic design using a PC. I was teased by the people who we normally gave the work to (Apple users) who said a PC could not do it.

It could and did! I also did colour separations without having to use a Sun box, took long, but it worked.

Not long before other printers came to see, and they soon bought PCs to do the mundane work and saved themselves a fortune on setting.

And I have to say that Apple support did not manage to help me in 2012, despite spending hours and hours and hours on the phone, so experiences do differ.

I repeat, not slagging, but if you make the comments, expect a reply :)

No Windows 7 support on v2. I still use a W7 machine with a GTX-1070 for photo-editing so it looks I will be staying with v1. I have the Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher packages on that.
..... It's not uncommon for a studio to retain a machine with an older operating system solely so they continue to use software which a modern OS doesn't 'support' (isn't compatible with). It's kept alongside more up to date machines running up to date software.

I didn't change the OS on my Mac for years and not until about a year ago because the earlier Adobe CS6 suite didn't work on later Mac's later operating systems. In fact, it was discovering Affinity Publisher which meant I could give up Adobe InDesign! Photoshop not needed anymore either - All uninstalled.

Software and hardware companies cannot be blamed for the fact that in making very valuable and useful advances in technology it can result in incompatibilities with older versions. The pros far outweigh the cons.

Computer programs are complicated - Everyone here should know that.

Last edited:
So the computer / tech speak lost me.

Both my laptop's run W10 (yet to upgrade to W11) so will these work?
They will work, but you may have problems opening V2 from another programme.

ie I use IrfanView thumbnails to view files, then I right click to open with an external editor, which now works, but similar actions with another programme may not

.... Am always glad to help if I can :)

I have installed V2 Affinity Photo and watched a couple of excellent tutorial vids about the new features but haven't tried it out yet. But I have been doing some work on V2 Publisher today and am very impressed with the improvements from V1.

..... It's not uncommon for a studio to retain a machine with an older operating system solely so they continue to use software which a modern OS doesn't 'support' (isn't compatible with). It's kept alongside more up to date machines running up to date software.

I didn't change the OS on my Mac for years and not until about a year ago because the earlier Adobe CS6 suite didn't work on later Mac's later operating systems. In fact, it was discovering Affinity Publisher which meant I could give up Adobe InDesign! Photoshop not needed anymore either - All uninstalled.

Software and hardware companies cannot be blamed for the fact that in making very valuable and useful advances in technology it can result in incompatibilities with older versions. The pros far outweigh the cons.

Computer programs are complicated - Everyone here should know that.
My other computer runs Linux Mint. No support for Linux either. :(

.... But that's the beauty of Macs, the operating system takes care of everything behind the scenes and it's more intuitive and easy to use anyway.

Plus, Apple's techsupport is top notch. I have used their support regularly since 1998 and I never hesitate to phone them. What's Microsoft support like? (I don't actually know).

Yes, Macs are more expensive but you get what you pay for. A bit like those machines they call cameras really, and especially lenses!

It's probably not a good idea for a Mac vs Windows slagging match to kick off here! I thought those wars had ended years ago.
I agree because Macs win anyway so no need ;):beer:

plus you don't get phone calls from Microsoft(lol) telling you your operating system has been hacked,I once kept one of those t***s on the phone for 40 mins pretending to believe all he said until I said to him,I just don't understand why this iPad has been hacked lol,he finally realised and put the phone down :)

Last edited:
When I was gaming I used to build my own PC's and loved them,definately beat Macs but now when my daughter asks me to check something on her laptop im almost like a newbie with the OS,ive just got lazy with the Mac .

plus you don't get phone calls from Microsoft(lol) telling you your operating system has been hacked
I've never had anything like that in all the years.

I've never had anything like that in all the years.
no me neither, its at my partners house on her land line I always answer, normally she gets all sorts of nuisance calls including the Microsoft scam and I like to let them know what I think of them but true I myself not having a land line don't get any either.

@Sangoma

Just to update, I re-read the method to use a Batch File to launch Photo2 from within the likes of PL and it works.... :)

It takes about 8 seconds to run & open AP2 (a brief flash of the command window appears) and then Photo 2 launches.

Not a perfect solution by any means but it works, so what with FRV launching it too that closes the circle of workflow likely needs.

PS I could edit the file to remove the appearence of the command window as I did sometime back to create a batch file to clear my print spooler but will do that when ready ;)

Last edited:
@Sangoma

Just to update, I re-read the method to use a Batch File to launch Photo2 from within the likes of PL and it works.... :)

It takes about 8 seconds to run & open AP2 (a brief flash of the command window appears) and then Photo 2 launches.

Not a perfect solution by any means but it works, so what with FRV launching it too that closes the circle of workflow likely needs.

PS I could edit the file to remove the appearence of the command window as I did sometime back to create a batch file to clear my print spooler but will do that when ready ;)
I didn't try it because I solved the problem for IrfanView on my system.

However if that is the way to go, then they should create an .exe file that does the same as the batch file, and let their install process place that exe file in an affinity folder in the Programme Files folder which would solve the problem for every one and every programme. :)

Would take less than 5 minutes.

However if that is the way to go, then they should create an .exe file that does the same as the batch file, and let their install process place that exe file in an affinity folder in the Programme Files folder which would solve the problem for every one and every programme. :)

.... Why don't you contact them directly and suggest that?

No slanging from me as I have both a Mac a Windows laptop and Windows 24 inch PC.

I’m similar with a Windows PC that’s elderly now but still works perfectly and an M1 MacBook Pro
I still use the PC as a backup and occasionally still use photoshop on it there’s a couple of things that I’ve not figured out how to do on Affinity so I do it on photoshop on my PC, for example in photoshop you can specify a crop size in inches eg 12 by 18 so if I want to do a portrait crop from a landscape image keeping the same ratio it’s easier to still use photoshop :)

.... Why don't you contact them directly and suggest that?
I've already made an exe file, tried it on two machines and it works on both, but of course I can't upload an exe here :)

Well the batch file method is mentioned on the Serif community forum so for Serif, IIRC you posted their comment, are passing the buck is not great!

Time will tell of they do anything further???

From their forum:-

"Dear Affinity programmers, supporters, moderators etc, please add this little exe-file from Sangoma (above) to the next and very soon patch for Affinity Photo 2. It would be great!!!"

From their forum:-

"Dear Affinity programmers, supporters, moderators etc, please add this little exe-file from Sangoma (above) to the next and very soon patch for Affinity Photo 2. It would be great!!!"
If you can, would you please post the link to that thread/posting :)

Back