Afghanistan

All the plug-sockets are English UK 3-pin.

I have a coffee-machine I bought in Germany with a 2-pin plug on it...

Cheers peeps!

Am I missing a trick here Rob? (I know, it wouldn't be the first time)

But why not just cut the two pin plug off and re-wire with a UK 3 pin?

Because I want to use it again when I get back to Germany without having to re-wire it again...lol
I also have two other appliances here with German plugs...not all in use at the same time - coffee grinder (I now have the one I brought with me - though it was lost, but it turned up in my spares box...lol) and espresso-maker for those hard-to-wake-up mornings...

Yeah I'll stick it in the post, OR would sir prefer a German extension lead with a brit plug on it?
Its what I use for short courses in UK, but seeing as I'm posted........

Can someone explain how we get these parcels to Rob? Do we take them to the Red Cross or Post office?
Sorry if I've missed something. Been working silly hours these last two weeks.

Kev.

All the plug-sockets are English UK 3-pin.
I have a coffee-machine I bought in Germany with a 2-pin plug on it...

Cheers peeps!

I have the correct 2 pin to any international plug so will be putting that in the box, checked it works as well so should be fine

Because I want to use it again when I get back to Germany without having to re-wire it again...lol
I also have two other appliances here with German plugs...not all in use at the same time - coffee grinder (I now have the one I brought with me - though it was lost, but it turned up in my spares box...lol) and espresso-maker for those hard-to-wake-up mornings...

are you sure you werent in BlackHawkDown :LOL:

"Grimes: It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger. Now it's "Grimesy, black, one sugar" or "Grimesy, got a powdered anywhere?"

i know i shouldnt have , sorry :bonk:

Last edited:
Can someone explain how we get these parcels to Rob? Do we take them to the Red Cross or Post office?
Sorry if I've missed something. Been working silly hours these last two weeks.

Kev.

from the British Forces Post office website FAQ's

Q. How do I send my mail?

Please take all items to your local post office. From there they will be automatically be delivered to our sorting office for the onward delivery to the BFPO location.

and incase you missed it above, Robs adderss is:

24864891 Sgt Rob Knight
Media PIC
TFH HQ
Lashkar Gah
BFPO 715

(I now have the one I brought with me - though it was lost, but it turned up in my spares box...lol)

So I don't need to send the one I have here then??

So I don't need to send the one I have here then??

Coffee grinder, mate - I have stacks of beans coming out - they last longer than pre-ground.

And yes when we watche Blackhawk Down I did laugh...
I've been grinding and brewing my own coffee in the field since 1980...lol

As we say: Any c-unit can rough it...

In that case one adaptor coming up...

just watching skynews , were they Arkady specials of the defence secretary i wonder :)

right thats your 15 minutes of fame , move along please :LOL: , must be weird to see something you have taken splashed all over international news :eek: :clap:

right thats your 15 minutes of fame , move along please :LOL: , must be weird to see something you have taken splashed all over international news :eek: :clap:

Nothing special TBH - just another lying, b*****d politician...
I think so far my tally is 6 UK-National front pages, 2 International front pages and a few inside spreads across the globe...

I think so far my tally is 6 UK-National front pages, 2 International front pages and a few inside spreads across the globe...

I've seen lots of coverage of the question he was asked, but none of the answer, did he give one?

i wasnt on about the ******tician :LOL: , just the fact something you had taken being splashed all over the world :)

I've seen lots of coverage of the question he was asked, but none of the answer, did he give one?

politician = no answer , not answer :bang: :bang: :bang:

King-of-Shaves gel - the turquoisey-blue one and Mitchum solid-stick deoderant - the sea-green coloured one that's supposed to be good for 48 hours - though out here it's about 10...(no idea what 'flavour' either of them are) if in doubt buy a manly 'sport' fragrance...lol

:D

Muchos Gracias Amigos...

I'm on the case!

box on its way
very odd - tried to do the postage on-line - £5.30 hmm
went to the post office - comes up as BFPO-FREE = £0
so works for me!

:bonk: when I got home, found the note I was going to put inside :bonk:
so if the above, plus some Imperial Leather, Oral-B heads and coffee beans turn up without a note inside......

Not wanting to spoil the party, but:

Prohibited Content

The following content is prohibited on talkphotography.co.uk.

* Discussion of, encouraging of, or admitting to illegal activities, including, but not limited to :
o Copying, distributing, uploading, downloading, or sharing copyrighted material
o How to bypass copyright protection
o How to obtain copyrighted material
o Hacked or reverse engineered code
o How to circumvent any payment systems
o Peer to Peer software (even for legitimate use)
o Linking to such information

Don't sugar coat it, Rob, give it to him straight.

Have been on holiday and just saw this thread. Any stuff you and others still need out there? I'd love to help so let me know. I'm a lady so could get ladies stuff or maybe some snacks that arent too fattening or melt in the heat.

Sent one box of various mags yesterday, will get another box sorted this week. Camera stuff, bike mags ets, doesn't take many mags to get up to 2KG.

We just found out that as well as parcels being free up to 2Kg, BFPO will not accept parcels over 2Kg...so weigh anything carefully guys...
The chief clerk just had his iMac returned to sender as it was nearly 3Kg...that's cost him £300 in VAT which he was exempt from paying over here...

Anything you send is good and will be put to good use - if not by me then out on the FOBs where I'll push out any excess items, but I think we're going to be OK for toiletries and other sundries for a while...

.......... and guess what , you have more imperial leather on the way :LOL:

We just found out that as well as parcels being free up to 2Kg, BFPO will not accept parcels over 2Kg...so weigh anything carefully guys...
The chief clerk just had his iMac returned to sender as it was nearly 3Kg...that's cost him £300 in VAT which he was exempt from paying over here...

Anything you send is good and will be put to good use - if not by me then out on the FOBs where I'll push out any excess items, but I think we're going to be OK for toiletries and other sundries for a while...

Are you folks into dried fruit/nuts and things like that.
You'll be getting more Imp. Leather, but I'll hang off sending it for a while.

Does this mean you'll be out there for crimbo Rob?

oooh thats not good, mine was 2.3 kg, blooming post office didnt say anything to the extent of it might not be ok grrrrrr :( oh well if it doesnt get through I will take out a couple of bits and send 2 packages!!

Couple of parcels on the way if the postal strike does not stop them.

Working on fun stuff to send out :D

oooh thats not good, mine was 2.3 kg, blooming post office didnt say anything to the extent of it might not be ok grrrrrr :( oh well if it doesnt get through I will take out a couple of bits and send 2 packages!!

lazy post office worker then , i had 3 goes at getting mine under 2kg as she said it would not go unless it was under 2kg :)

Can you take a bunch at one time if all under 2kg`s, or can you only send one at a time?

Can you take a bunch at one time if all under 2kg`s, or can you only send one at a time?

i see no reason why you could not send multiples as long as they are all under 2kg :shrug:

i see no reason why you could not send multiples as long as they are all under 2kg :shrug:

Cool, i've got access to tons of packaging at work, so i'll probably go that route instead of trying to cram stuff in one box only to find it over weight.

OK guys, hold off for a week or so - I may be moving...

Looks like it took 7 days for the first package to arrive and more will probably arrive tomorrow - the flights from Bastion to Lash will occasionally 'bump' mail for more important supplies - but mail into Bastion comes direct from the UK so that should only take 4-5 days max.

I will be here for Xmas by design - my R&R is scheduled for the end of February so that I only have 5 weeks to push after that...all downhill...

There's a small US contingent at Bastion - bigger than here at Lash and that qualifies that place for a line-3 PX (essentials and hygiene)...so I may be able to get most things down there that i need...
I'll still bag everything that's sent out to me up and take any excess out to the boys and girls in the Forward Operating bases, where they're still washing out of streams in some places..

The girly stuff that arrived yesterday - make-up and facial scrub in a pink bag - has been sent out to a female Corporal medic at FOB Price, courtesy of the Medic Detachment here.

They say thanks very much... such small gestures as these mean a lot...

Last edited:
Back