AI and Me

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
No
No, that's not Alan, it's Artificial Intelligence. And in this case, the one that the world is talking about - ChatGPT.

In a moment of pure curiosity I thought I'd do what a large number of people have done with Google Search. Put my own name in. And the result made me laugh out loud.

View: https://imgur.com/a/UEQqxi7

The Street Photographer's Manual was written by David Gibson and I can't find any book anywhere called 10 Ways to Improve Your Street Photography. I've been to events and exhibitions but never taken part in one, let alone organised one.

When ChatGPT doesn't know something it often makes it up. Or it has access to alternate universes.

Perhaps it's foretelling the future and you need to write that book :D

I would but I don't have enough time, what with all the events and exhibitions I'm not organising. :D

I asked it some of the follow-up questions and it just got more and more extravagant. It listed eleven other events that not only have I never heard of but don't exist. Maybe I'll get it to write a fantasy novel...

But one thing intrigues me. I've never ever given it any indication that I do street photography. It must be finding my stuff on the web and weaving its story from that.

Last edited:
I must be using a different version!

I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I do not have access to information on all individuals. Without further context or details, I cannot determine who Xxxxx Xxx might be. Could you please provide more information or context about this person?

I must be using a different version!

This is the version wrapped inside an app called MacPoe, which is a web wrapper for the Poe AI made by Quora, which gives you access to four different AIs. You can find Poe on the web here and there's a version in the iOS App Store here plus the MacPoe app in the Mac App Store. The guy who programmed MacPoe also has MacGPT and MacBing, also on the Mac App Store.

I don't know which version of GPT Poe uses. It said this when I asked it:
I am an AI language model created by OpenAI, and I do not have a specific version number like software applications do. However, I am constantly being updated and improved by my developers to provide the best possible responses to your queries.
It could be the same version Bing Chat uses as that's well known for its pants-on-fire methodology. People are still debating whether that's ChatGPT 3.5 or 4.0.

EDIT I've just found another app that uses the OpenAI ChatGPT API, and this one is for Mac, Windows, and Linux.
You might prefer to go to the Github page and download it from the Assets section just to be safe.

Last edited:
Could there possibly be another Garry Knight - in a parallel universe even?

There is a woman in the USA who has the same name as me. She signs me up to all sorts of things. I now know her email address, and she's not remotely grateful when I politely let her know about these things. I could have had access to her Amazon account, her store cards etc. I've received her airline tickets and at one point I was getting notification emails every time her husband arrived or left home on his Harley.

There is a woman in the USA who has the same name as me. She signs me up to all sorts of things. I now know her email address, and she's not remotely grateful when I politely let her know about these things. I could have had access to her Amazon account, her store cards etc. I've received her airline tickets and at one point I was getting notification emails every time her husband arrived or left home on his Harley.
My Mrs woke up to hundreds of Twitter mentions one morning when a young male surfer, with the same name and a weird Twitter handle won a championship in the states. She still sporadically gets new followers expecting surf content.

There are at least half a dozen of us. There’s one somewhere in the midlands or the north who seems to have been spoofing my email address. Mine starts with garryknight and he’s been using garry.knight and Gmail ignores any full stops in the name and so treats the two versions as the same. Which means that the garry.knight address has been just as much mine as garryknight has ever since I first signed up all those years ago.

I’m guessing that he’s actually garry.knight1234 or some such, and doesn’t realise that the digits actually mean something. I got an email from a bank relating to his private business and emailed their security team. Of course, they wrote to him at garry.knight. The other day I got another email from them asking for feedback. That went straight in the “round file”.

There’s another one in the US. He gets emails that are CCed (not BCCed) to a large number of family members. Or, rather, he doesn’t. I do. I emailed the woman who sends them out but never heard back from her. So she’s now just a rule in my mail filters.

I think your garry.knight is doing exactly the same as my woman. Missing the numbers and adding a dot. When I first tried to email her and put that address, I was chuffed when it appeared to successfully send. Hooray I thought, I can let her know… and 2 seconds later it landed in my inbox :LOL:

It’s really hard letting these financial institutions know isn’t it? I almost signed in as her just to let them know. It was impossible. It’s so stupid of them not to have a verification process.
Edit: to correct my typos - I must have needed an earlier night!

Last edited:
2 seconds later it landed in my inbox :LOL:

It’s really hard letting these financial institutions know isn’t it?

:LOL: You did exactly what the bank did, in my situation. I ended up going to the bank and having to explain to the counter staff what had happened. They seemed to have no manual on what to do. They promised they'd get in touch with their security office (or whatever passes for one) but they obviously didn't, or I wouldn't be getting more emails to garry.knight from them.

I tried my name but it didn't know me so I tried yours Garry and it came up with this:

Garry Knight is a British photographer and visual storyteller. He has a diverse portfolio of work that includes street photography, portraits, and social documentary projects. He is also known for his use of creative and experimental techniques in his photography.

Knight has exhibited his work in galleries and museums around the world, and his photographs have been featured in numerous publications and websites. He is also a prolific contributor to stock photography agencies, where his work is licensed for use in advertising, marketing, and editorial contexts.

In addition to his photography work, Knight is a writer and educator. He has written several books on photography, including "Street Photography: A Concise Guide" and "Digital Photography: Essential Skills." He also teaches photography workshops and courses, both online and in-person, and is a frequent speaker at industry events and conferences.

I refreshed and put your name in again and it had never heard of you. You seem to be a spurious character.

I tried my name but it didn't know me so I tried yours Garry and it came up with this:

I refreshed and put your name in again and it had never heard of you. You seem to be a spurious character.

Yes. Apart from the British bit, and "street photography", it's a pack of porkies.

I asked again a few days later and it had forgotten me by then, too. ChatGPT seems to be a fickle character. :D

I do wonder if you could plant false information on it by mentioning your name in relation to government negotiations with Myanmar, or something like that. Street photographer Garry Knight in cocaine shame after partying with J, Lo perhaps? After all it gets its information from the internet. Actually, I've just said it. o_O

Back