aliengrove TP 52 2018 : Week 16-Shadow

Firstly, apologies for not getting round to everyones threads, I've had a hectic few weeks, with work, a weeks trip away on my motorbike camping (often with no phone signal), then straight back to work. I've another bike trip coming up on the 1st may, too. I managed to shoot for Unattractive while I was away, a fortuitous horrible house on a very nice road! When things settle down mid May, I promise to be more active!

Good and clever take on theme Jon, goes well in mono so a good hustler shot.

Thanks, Dave!

Agree with Dave, this is a great take on the image.
I especially like how you've added extra oof relevant objects to complete the scene, such as the shot glass.
I'm searching the image for a hint of a revolver ;)

Yes, it was fun thinking it up!

Beat me to it today, had my cards out ready for the shot !
Nicely done tho, I like it a lot.

Lol, sorry I beat you to the draw ;)

Hello Jon

Oval, very clever capture, well thought out, like it.
Straight: think its superb, great detail and works well with the glass.(y)

Walter

Thanks Walter

I like straight, good idea for the theme, well composed and a good mono conversion.

Thanks, it definitely needed to be mono.

Nice composition and the blurry background subjects add interests to the image. I like the tone too.

Thanks, I used Topaz B+W Effects for the conversion

I love the shot, great idea for the theme. I'd not considered using cards. It works well in b&w and the DoF is good, nice work

Thanks!

Top idea (y) and as pointed out above, a shot glass too.

Thanks for the comment

Straight shot is an excellent idea Sir, and works really well for the theme, all blends together nicely with the oof glass in the background.(y)

George.

Thanks George!

Straight, nice image, good oof background, I'm not sure but thumb may be better in focus?
Nice conversion, adds to the age I think the image should be.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I went for the really shallow depth of field just to show the cards and have the shot glass oof. Didn't think about the thumb being sharp or not, but can see where you're coming from.

Really well composed Jon and I love that gritty black and white tone, excellent for the theme.

Thanks Susie!

Straight
Nice, my kind of photo. Well composed and I like the table with the glass of drink being nicely oof.

Thanks.

Like the olde worlde feel of this. Reminds me of saloons and bourbon. Great shot.

Thanks, Ross, that was my intention, glad it worked out!

Oval - wow i can only really echo everyone elses comments on colour, sharpness, clarity etc etc.
Straight - works well for the theme, love the pp work

Thanks, Oval was probably my favourite shot of the challenge so far.

Hi Jon, big catch up from me

Heavy - Didn't get this till I saw the title. Nice sharp image and it stands out well against the dark bg
Wet - Sit one for me, nice light and I like the sea coming between the rocks like a river
Juxtaposition - Very clever 1st shot but the second one did make me laugh
Oval - I really like this. Love the way it looks like it is glowing from inside
Straight - Nice idea, definitely a down and dirty grungy look. I like it

Thanks for the comments, I'm way behind on commenting on other peoples images myself.

That's a winner :)

Thanks, I was happy how it turned out :).

Last edited:
I was away on a bike trip when I got this pic; I read what the new theme was on my phone one morning, and fortuitously stumbled across this house near Brecon (on a road called Bethlehem Road) the same afternoon. I was riding through very beautiful scenery when the horrible contrast of this house with the countryside around it stopped me in my tracks. To be honest I've not looked for anything else for the theme since. I've had a very hectic but productive and fun 2 weeks, and while I have been taking pictures, they've tended to be of stuff I've come across when stationary for any length of time, and a few aerial shots.

Unattractive house by Jon, on Flickr

Nice one! Suitably grotty looking, perfect POV showing the corner with the lane running up the side. (y)

That looks like a perfectly fine home to me... Great PoV showing the house in all its splendour and great processing!

Unattractive is a great find for the theme, really like it.

Shadow, very nicely done, nicely atmospheric.

Indeed, the house is fab, I love the colours and textures and the pp is great.....

Tell us more on Shadow, thats a great pic !

Straight - great idea I like the detail of the shot Glass in the background
Unattractive - Looks like it has seen better days, I like windy road that goes beside and behind
Shadow - what a fabulous shot I love it.

Thanks for the comments!

Indeed, the house is fab, I love the colours and textures and the pp is great.....

Tell us more on Shadow, thats a great pic !

Thanks. Shadow was taken on a flight from Paphos to Manchester, over Austria. The sun was to left and front, and it was pretty hazy, so unfortunately I couldn't get much more contrast without the shadows going too blue and noisy. Its actually a crop, about a third of the original image.

Love shadow mate. Great photo.

Cheers Ross

Two excellent choices there Jon, the house fits the theme perfectly and I love the one of the mountains.

Thanks Susie.

Straight - great idea I like the detail of the shot Glass in the background
Unattractive - Looks like it has seen better days, I like windy road that goes beside and behind
Shadow - what a fabulous shot I love it.

Thanks, I am loving this challenge, its making me look around and think more.

Jon

Unattractive, nice find, it must have beem clean at some point.good all round picture.

Shadow, lucky you were on the plane at the right time to get those shadows. The haze adds to the look.

Pete

Hi Jon, that's a great idea for Straight and the B&W processing helps to set the atmosphere. Unattractive is certainly that, such a shame to see a neglected building in the countryside, and I like the way it is bordered on two sides with the roads. Shadow is another original take on a theme and I like the lovely interplay of sunlight and shadows on the mountains (y)

Great photo for shadow, beautiful mountains, great light and great shadows!

Back