All shops going online eventually.

Well I used to work in the furniture trade.
I defy anyone to correctly work out from an online shop whether or not a specific chair is a comfortable sit for them.
Also, colours look different shades according to the monitor used.
Of course if you give a friendly returns policy it may work, but the cost of collection will have been added to the selling price.

I saw a video on Facebook today showing one of the Co-op's 'robots' in action.

Apparently they are being 'trialled' around M.Keynes.

I saw a video on Facebook today showing one of the Co-op's 'robots' in action.

Apparently they are being 'trialled' around M.Keynes.

The robots were being used towards the end of 2019 in M.Keynes. Strange sight seeing them trundling down the pavements

The battery in our remote control for the house appliances died Thursday, so I said to the missus I will pop out and buy one in the morning. Went online to price them up in shops such as Wilko, Argos and the likes, and they were about £7 per pack. I was prepared to drive over to the shop, but the missus, ordered them from Amazon for £3.99 free delivery. The batteries came Friday.

How will these robots open my garden gate and reach the doorbell?

; the car access removal / taxing to city centres was already one of the last few coffin nails.
I think that is a VERY good point and a huge reason for the decline in high street shopping, I find it strange that out local town believes it's a good idea to have free car parking in the run up to Christmas but not the rest of the year (well the reason is simple, car parking is easy income for the council)

Will every shop close NO, but the market share is definitely moving on line and business know it. The local high street perfume shop in our town is really just the warehouse for thier online bussiness, but you can call in if you wish

I detest shopping on the high street, what with parking charges, not always getting what you want. Why take the time when I can go online get exactly what I want, cheaper and faster.
I mean even shipping at Morrisons via Amazon is cheaper than going to the actual shop.
I get all my meat and fish online in bulk.

The robots were being used towards the end of 2019 in M.Keynes. Strange sight seeing them trundling down the pavements

Well, they'll have to spend a shedload on roads and pavements around here then, as the current infrastructure is downright bloody dangerous for wheelchair users and 'extreme caution' is the phrase of the day. Those stupid little wheels are only any good for the likes of factory floors or B&Q shops.

Other than Tesco for the weekly shop and going into a gents outfitters last August to get suits with my sons for the eldest wedding, I haven't been in a shop in years. We have a parade of shops near us which is mostly take aways, pretty much the same with the shops further down the road, the only shop I do enter in the petrol garage in the main part of town and that is just to pay for petrol.
I used to go in Holland and Barrett but they didn't stock the stuff i bought in store anymore, so I now buy that from them online.

I’ve long thought many shops would become more like showrooms - show off their products. But to buy, you’d do it online (either in store or at home) and have it delivered.

I hate trying on clothes but I hate having to traipse to the post office or local shop to return them even more. So I will go to shops to buy clothes. However, friends and family will happily buy several sizes online and then return the items they don’t want.

I’ve long thought many shops would become more like showrooms - show off their products. But to buy, you’d do it online (either in store or at home) and have it delivered.

I hate trying on clothes but I hate having to traipse to the post office or local shop to return them even more. So I will go to shops to buy clothes. However, friends and family will happily buy several sizes online and then return the items they don’t want.

I have been in a few shops that don't carry much stock if any. Been told to look it up online, then order it that way. Maybe they are also cutting down on storage space, and just use a central delivery hub.

This is the way.
Money won't be flowing on the high street. It'll flow online and high streets will become a large showroom for everything that needs touchy/feeling before buying.

I've noticed John Lewis doing this with their less mass market brand like Fujifilm camera/lenses a few years ago. They never have the stuff in stock and always referred me to order online. I tested the lenses in store and ordered from them online because their prices were competitive.

Holding stock costs money, I'd rather trade a few days of my time for cheaper items. Pays to plan ahead.

This is the way.
Money won't be flowing on the high street. It'll flow online and high streets will become a large showroom for everything that needs touchy/feeling before buying.

I've noticed John Lewis doing this with their less mass market brand like Fujifilm camera/lenses a few years ago. They never have the stuff in stock and always referred me to order online. I tested the lenses in store and ordered from them online because their prices were competitive.

Holding stock costs money, I'd rather trade a few days of my time for cheaper items. Pays to plan ahead.

I bought stuff from John Lewis like this also, as they never had stock in the shop.

I detest shopping on the high street, what with parking charges, not always getting what you want. Why take the time when I can go online get exactly what I want, cheaper and faster.
I mean even shipping at Morrisons via Amazon is cheaper than going to the actual shop.
I get all my meat and fish online in bulk.

It’s not faster. I can drive 15 mins and pick up a tv, bike or clothing!

It’s not faster. I can drive 15 mins and pick up a tv, bike or clothing!
Is for me, I get 2 hour delivery on Amazon. If i time my Morrisions order i can get it within the hour and i don't use any fuel driving to the shop.

Just had the delivery from Iceland. The most important item - Persil 3.675L washing liquid - not there.

When everything is cheaper, there are fewer business rates levied, and there are millions out of work as a result of all this online malarky, everyone will have to pay for the services associated with being in a society in a different way.

Just like the rush to electric vehicles will mean that driving will have to be charged for in some other way.

Retail shops provide employment, life to a community, social experience for many and taxes for local authority and government. When those have gone, well, that is going to be interesting.

When everything is cheaper, there are fewer business rates levied, and there are millions out of work as a result of all this online malarky, everyone will have to pay for the services associated with being in a society in a different way.

Just like the rush to electric vehicles will mean that driving will have to be charged for in some other way.

Retail shops provide employment, life to a community, social experience for many and taxes for local authority and government. When those have gone, well, that is going to be interesting.
In our main part of town, the council has been the downfall of a lot of shops. We had 3 free public car parks plus free roadside parking. Then the council started charging, just 20p at first. Then the roadside parking on one road became permit only. Next the council put the charges upto £1, but first half hour free. Then they shut one small car park and sold it off as part the adjoining buildings to build some flats. Another car park they sold to Aldi although if you can manage to find a space in there, as long as you pay, you don't have to shop in Aldi. We have Lakeside shopping centre a few miles away, with obviously a greater range of shops so people would rather go there. So our town is now predominantly, charity shops, probably in the region of 10, nail bars, hairdressers, restaurants, takeaways, a couple of shops have turned into pubs, at least half a dozen coffee shops / cafes. There are now very few shops, they tend to open and close again within a year because there just isn't enough other shops to make it worthwhile for people to go shopping there. If you wanted to buy a greetings card, you would probably be ok, but if you wanted to buy a gift for someone, unless it is a takeaway, a coffee or something from a second hand shop, you are stuffed.

Just been reading that JL are considering closing another eight shops.
Surprised to see Cambridge mentioned, its not that old, but there again neither was Birmingham.

It's possible that we'll see home manufacturing of small items become common within 30 years. This doesn't even qualify as blue sky thinking, since 3D printing prices have dropped sharply and the output quality has improved. In the same time frame, we might also see home production of basic foods using cell cultures - something that a number of major companies are considering or actively pursuing.

As the ancient Chinese might well say: "now you are living in interesting times!"

In our main part of town, the council has been the downfall of a lot of shops. We had 3 free public car parks plus free roadside parking. Then the council started charging, just 20p at first. Then the roadside parking on one road became permit only. Next the council put the charges upto £1, but first half hour free. Then they shut one small car park and sold it off as part the adjoining buildings to build some flats. Another car park they sold to Aldi although if you can manage to find a space in there, as long as you pay, you don't have to shop in Aldi. We have Lakeside shopping centre a few miles away, with obviously a greater range of shops so people would rather go there. So our town is now predominantly, charity shops, probably in the region of 10, nail bars, hairdressers, restaurants, takeaways, a couple of shops have turned into pubs, at least half a dozen coffee shops / cafes. There are now very few shops, they tend to open and close again within a year because there just isn't enough other shops to make it worthwhile for people to go shopping there. If you wanted to buy a greetings card, you would probably be ok, but if you wanted to buy a gift for someone, unless it is a takeaway, a coffee or something from a second hand shop, you are stuffed.
It is not always down to the council. Council finances are monitored by the District Auditor and they put a lot of pressure on councils to maximise revenue. Having council tax and free car parks is seen as very bad - car park revenue and slightly lower council tax is seen as good. Retaining free car parks in the teeth of the District Auditor is very difficult.

Retaining free car parks in the teeth of the District Auditor is very difficult.

Well, they've certainly done a fine job of putting most small town high street shops out of business AFAICS. Paying for car parks in acceptable, but charging for on-street parking without at least the first thirty minutes being free is a disgrace. We pay a fortune to keep our cars on the road and then they want to charge us every time we stop. It's no wonder everyone shops out of town in the big supermarkets where they don't charge for parking. Before you know it, they'll be charging us to stop at traffic lights. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there's a special place in hell reserved for these people. :mad:

Well, they've certainly done a fine job of putting most small town high street shops out of business AFAICS. Paying for car parks in acceptable, but charging for on-street parking without at least the first thirty minutes being free is a disgrace. We pay a fortune to keep our cars on the road and then they want to charge us every time we stop. It's no wonder everyone shops out of town in the big supermarkets where they don't charge for parking. Before you know it, they'll be charging us to stop at traffic lights. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there's a special place in hell reserved for these people. :mad:

If you can afford a fortune for a car and keeping it on the road, then a small amount towards parking on public property doesn't seem so bad. Why only 30 minutes free? What about someone who wants to shop for longer than that, or get a coffee, or meal, or hair done?

Same here as well, the council seem to have gone out of their way to make it difficult for small businesses in town

If I need to go to town on my own, I take a bike (if the weather cooperates) - parking's free. If Mrs Nod wants/needs to go on her own, I'll drop her down in the Leaf. If we both need to be in town, we park wherever is best value. Rarely both need to be there at the same time. Parking for a few hours is cheaper than getting the bus - it was £2.50 one way for one person last time I took the bus. Going down in the Leaf is less polluting (at point of use) than the bus as well as being more convenient at both ends.

It is not always down to the council. Council finances are monitored by the District Auditor and they put a lot of pressure on councils to maximise revenue. Having council tax and free car parks is seen as very bad - car park revenue and slightly lower council tax is seen as good. Retaining free car parks in the teeth of the District Auditor is very difficult.
Our council tax isn't low though.

It's not even as if the cost of parking is equal across the borough. Some towns still get the first 1/2hrs for free and £1.50 for the next hour. Yet ours is £1.50 straight off for the first hour. It's almost like the council don't want people shopping in our town and go to other towns instead. The next town along, which still has the 1/2hrs free has done a much better job of retaining alot of their shops.

Last edited:
Our council tax isn't low though.

It's not even as if the cost of parking is equal across the borough. Some towns still get the first 1/2hrs for free and £1.50 for the next hour. Yet ours is £1.50 straight off for the first hour. It's almost like the council don't want people shopping in our town and go to other towns instead. The next town along, which still has the 1/2hrs free has done a much better job of retaining alot of their shops.
Your council tax is lower than it would be if car parks were free.

FFS, that was a figure of speech. Are you really that desperate to disagree with someone? :banghead:
So you don’t spend a fortune on your car, are quite happy with on-street parking charges and don’t want a place reserved in hell for the people that set them. ;)

• Angry
Reactions: Sky

I wonder what will become of places Like Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet? I love places like this, can get well known brands at really reasonable prices.

Just been reading that JL are considering closing another eight shops.
Surprised to see Cambridge mentioned, its not that old, but there again neither was Birmingham.

I must admit, I think it was a year or two since I have been in a John Lewis, just nowhere to park. We have still bought a great deal from them though, this was via their website. Delivery was not the fastest.

I must admit, I think it was a year or two since I have been in a John Lewis, just nowhere to park. We have still bought a great deal from them though, this was via their website. Delivery was not the fastest.

Might not be the fastest delivery, but you get to chose the date and even better they are reliable.
The Cambridge store is part of a shopping centre with incorporated parking as is the Peterborough shop too.
One other handy feature is having goods sent to a local Waitrose for pick up.

If I need to go to town on my own, I take a bike (if the weather cooperates) - parking's free. If Mrs Nod wants/needs to go on her own, I'll drop her down in the Leaf. If we both need to be in town, we park wherever is best value. Rarely both need to be there at the same time. Parking for a few hours is cheaper than getting the bus - it was £2.50 one way for one person last time I took the bus. Going down in the Leaf is less polluting (at point of use) than the bus as well as being more convenient at both ends.

When our car was off the road a few months ago, I bought a weekly North West bus ticket. It only cost £18 and I could travel all over the North West, I saved some money those few months, as I did not have to pay any parking charges, and of course fuel. It was money well spent.

Online suits me down to the ground, always hated going to shops and had been using online grocery shopping for years.
Car parks are expensive and parking bays get smaller, often get sandwiched in by w****r panzers and struggle to get in/out of my car.
No fun at all, give me bring it to the door every time and can spend my time on far more enjoyable pursuits.

Last edited:
Your council tax is lower than it would be if car parks were free.
All council tax bands are the same across the borough, yet car park charges are not the same across the borough. As I have pointed out other towns within the borough have the first 1/2hrs free and we don't. Out of the whole borough there are two areas that have a high proportion of properties in the highest bands, ours is one of them. So with a higher income from council tax, why is parking more expensive in our town, than others in the borough?

I wonder what will become of places Like Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet? I love places like this, can get well known brands at really reasonable prices.
There's an outlet centre near my son, always seems quite popular with people travelling 30-40 miles (possibly more) to go there. I guess it depends on if they remain cheaper than online and whether people are prepared to go back to visiting such places.
My wife has always liked going shopping, even if it is just window shopping, I hate it with a passion. If I do go to physical shops, it is straight to the shop, or shops, in question and straight out again. I can not understand people who make a day of it.
We went to the Outlet Centre, near my son, last summer to get suits for my son's wedding. We got there early, straight in the shop, unfortunately the suit that my son and his girlfriend had seen previously was no longer available, so we chose another, similar colour. Within an hour of leaving my son's house, we drove to the outlet centre, about 5 minutes, chose the suits, my two sons and I tried on the suits, tried a pair of shoes each, paid for them including shirts. Probably saved somewhere between 50-60% on the suits, then came out of that shop, a few more people about and social distancing queues starting to form outside some shops. My son and girlfriend went into a jeweller's to pick up their rings, back to the car, and then home. Probably took just over an hour, that is a long shopping trip for me.
Even when we go to Tesco, I buy my stuff and my wife gets the rest. If I take longer than 20 minutes before I am back to the car, something has gone wrong, probably couldn't get straight onto a till.

Another thing going for online only it's it's more environmentally friendly less traffic in built up area, and less traffic in general.
Space saved by less car parking required.

I can not think of anything I can't get online. I haven't left the house to shop for years.

Another thing going for online only it's it's more environmentally friendly less traffic in built up area, and less traffic in general.
Space saved by less car parking required.

I can not think of anything I can't get online. I haven't left the house to shop for years.
Spare a thought about the environmental impact of all the delivery vans making all the online deliveries ......

The last 3 deliveries we've had from DPD have been by EV.

Spare a thought about the environmental impact of all the delivery vans making all the online deliveries ......
It's been looked into before delivery vans are better than the cars that they replace. As above also commercial companies and their vehicles are ahead when it comes to emissions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
Back