All shops going online eventually.

I'm sorry, but I have to do this:

The cost benefit is clear: https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-d...y/electric-delivery-vehicle-trial#acc-i-60705

No business is going to sit idle wasting money. They aren't:

DPD: https://www.dpd.co.uk/content/about...t-to-600-with-uks-first-MAN-electric-vans.jsp
Amazon: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vans/107956/amazon-and-rivian-team-new-electric-delivery-van
UPS: https://www.theguardian.com/busines...van-maker-arrival-secures-340m-order-from-ups
British Gas (saw it in the news today): https://insideevs.com/news/489742/british-gas-orders-2000-vauxhall-vivaroe-vans/

Notice how big companies (Amazon and UPS) with capacities to influence and invest in other companies are working with new car companies to get EV's quicker?

I can only conclude the reason EV vans uptake is slow is because of supply constraints.
The Amazon story doesn't appear to be talking about the UK, it looks like it is referring to their worldwide operations. As far as their UK fleet is concerned, do they even have one. I have never yet seen an Amazon delivery van, my wife and son have Amazon deliveries several times a week, it is either an old unliveried van or a car, people are using their own vehicles.
You live further in London than me and I daresay you may see plenty of electric cars and vans. I live right on the edge of London and work just east of the Essex / London border, electric vehicles are a very rare sight, quite a few hybrids like Prius from time to time. The only EV's I see regularly are the range extender Transits and Mustang Mach E's but that's just the test vehicles at work.

They'll all let you decline substitutions, they have to. Most, I think will have a setting to say no substitutions if you want although I think Neil's point was that if he is in the store and they haven't got what he wants, he can get some fresh to tide hime over.
I much prefer buying fresh fruit & meat in-store too, I agree with the point Neil is making, it's frustrating when you use online shopping and an item you want is out of stock & you don't trust the store to substitute a sensible alternative, especially if it is a key ingredient to a particular recipe you are shopping for. In the past we have ordered spring onions and been given raddishes.......my daughter has ordered courgettes and was given aubergines.....

You live further in London than me and I daresay you may see plenty of electric cars and vans.
Yes. I've seen many EV vans most of which are Nissan or Renault. The proportions increase by a lot the further into the city.

Uber Priuses are like bee swarms. There are also a lot of those brilliant new range extended EV London Taxi.

Good plan. Less chance of a misunderstanding due to language or something not being written down correctly. I much prefer ordering my takeaways online - very little chance of getting the wrong food delivered. (y)

Sadly, my local ones don't offer this (I've just moved). One has a Faceache page apparently, but I won't go near that toxic site.
Just Eat or Hungry House or Uber Eat? There are so many of those websites you can use (in highly populated areas), for a small fee.

Have to admit, this is benefit of living in more highly populated areas. When my family moved to my parents for a few months, in a village of less than 10k people, takeaway are pretty much pointless, there's only a handful of them and none of them taste authentic compared to London suburb takeaways.

Wife now orders directly from a Chinatown takeaway through a chat group. Pick up at supermarket car park, now that's proper Chinese food. But I believe they are only doing this during lockdown because lack of customer at their restaurant.

Reactions: Sky
Sainsburys will let you decline substitutions if you don't want them, not sure about the other supermarkets......
Amazon (Morrisons) let you pre-pick an alternative or mark them as do not replace. Or when they start living the order you can accept other alternatives as well. Works really well, all delivered within 2 hours.

Just Eat or Hungry House or Uber Eat? There are so many of those websites you can use (in highly populated areas), for a small fee.
Never quite understood those, all the restaurants I use have their own online ordering system - as well as being listed on the above - at no extra charge over menu prices, some in fact have a discount for collection, why pay a third party when I can do it direct. Plus Just Eat ads are extremely annoying.

Last edited:
Never quite understood those, all the restaurants I use have their own online ordering system - as well as being listed on the above - at no extra charge over menu prices, some in fact have a discount for collection, why pay a third party when I can do it direct. Plus Just Eat ads are extremely annoying.
It's either phone direct or third party website ordering here :( would have loved to order direct via their websites, if they support quick ordering using likes of Paypal or Apple pay.

My household prefers more accurate website ordering. Also much easier to do with screaming or phone stealing toddler around.

Ads? Sorry, I don't watch traditional TV. 100% streamed contents here.

Generally I always go to takeaway and order. At the nearest chinese and indian I can order when there and relax with a pint while it cooks. No communication errors then either and as soon as its ready i can grab it and go!

The Amazon story doesn't appear to be talking about the UK, it looks like it is referring to their worldwide operations. As far as their UK fleet is concerned, do they even have one. I have never yet seen an Amazon delivery van, my wife and son have Amazon deliveries several times a week, it is either an old unliveried van or a car, people are using their own vehicles.
You live further in London than me and I daresay you may see plenty of electric cars and vans. I live right on the edge of London and work just east of the Essex / London border, electric vehicles are a very rare sight, quite a few hybrids like Prius from time to time. The only EV's I see regularly are the range extender Transits and Mustang Mach E's but that's just the test vehicles at work.

A family member has a friend that does deliveries for Amazon, he has to rent his van from Amazon/subsidiary, and he has to rent various equipment from them. He has a plain white van. I have often wondered how it works, I don't know him well, otherwise I would be nosey and ask.

A family member has a friend that does deliveries for Amazon, he has to rent his van from Amazon/subsidiary, and he has to rent various equipment from them. He has a plain white van. I have often wondered how it works, I don't know him well, otherwise I would be nosey and ask.

All Amazon deliveries around here appear to be arriving in Amazon liveried vans, probably since the latter part of last year.

I just wish they would stop using Hermes. How can such a business keep trading?

Every delivery I get via them is either late, damaged or both. They fail to deliver one in ten at all and if you have a complaint or need to contact them it is impossible. :banghead:

It's getting so bad, that I'm seriously thinking about giving up shopping with Amazon and that would be really hard as I do 99% of my shopping with them . . .

I have never seen an EV van on the streets where I live, all the delivery vans are diesel.......including the ones making deliveries for Amazon. EV cars are quite rare too, despite living within 5 miles of a factory making them.

Generally I always go to takeaway and order. At the nearest chinese and indian I can order when there and relax with a pint while it cooks. No communication errors then either and as soon as its ready i can grab it and go!
If only at the moment.
I have never seen an EV van on the streets where I live, all the delivery vans are diesel.......including the ones making deliveries for Amazon. EV cars are quite rare too, despite living within 5 miles of a factory making them.
Our council had electric Nissan vans, apparantly got rid at first chance, not up to the job it seemed. Environmental friendly mate runs an ev car but diesel vans with the business, nothing suits lots of local miles in a day with very little down(charging) time in the work day.

It's either phone direct or third party website ordering here :( would have loved to order direct via their websites, if they support quick ordering using likes of Paypal or Apple pay.

My household prefers more accurate website ordering. Also much easier to do with screaming or phone stealing toddler around.

Ads? Sorry, I don't watch traditional TV. 100% streamed contents here.
My local Indian does Paypal, cash, and credit card, don't have an apple pay account so never asked, maybe there are others who do but I'm a cash guy whenever possible.

Somewhere in this thread, I think somebody said "hairdressing and barber shops can't be online only". I suppose they can, if the person only does mobile hairdressing. I know somebody who does not have a shop, she only has an online presence.

I just wish they would stop using Hermes. How can such a business keep trading?

Every delivery I get via them is either late, damaged or both. They fail to deliver one in ten at all and if you have a complaint or need to contact them it is impossible. :banghead:

It's getting so bad, that I'm seriously thinking about giving up shopping with Amazon and that would be really hard as I do 99% of my shopping with them . . .
I don't have a problem with any delivery service apart from UPS. To the point where my heart sinks when I buy something off ebay and I get a notification it will be delivered by UPS. Thankfully UPS is rarely used, but on two occasions I have been waiting on a parcel and instead of delivering it to me, they have dropped it off at the newsagents 1/2 a mile down the road and not even notified me that it's there. The first time it happened, I found out where the parcel was 24hrs before it would have been collected and returned to sender.

• Sad
Somewhere in this thread, I think somebody said "hairdressing and barber shops can't be online only". I suppose they can, if the person only does mobile hairdressing. I know somebody who does not have a shop, she only has an online presence.
There's a photo in the Mail today of a hairdresser in London trying to get around the lockdown, they were giving a bloke a haircut in the street.

We get an Indian every so often, we get this from an an Indian restaurant. Even when they were open, we only sat in once or twice. We much prefer a take out and sit in the comfort of our own home. They said they are even busier than when they offered a sit down service, and they do a delivery service, observing the social distancing.

The owner was joking and said, "we may not bother re opening the restaurant and just operate an online delivery service only". He said he won't have to pay all the waiters wages. But surely he will have to pay all the delivery drivers wages. :thinking:

Only takeaway we've had recently has been Wagamama - pretty much every Thursday night. Click and collect. We could get it delivered but I don't like Deliveroo - pretty sure that few of their drivers have the correct insurance and I know that their cycle delivery bods are a danger to themselves, I'm not sure that riding no hands downhill while using both hands on the mobile phone is safe...

We get an Indian every so often, we get this from an an Indian restaurant. Even when they were open, we only sat in once or twice. We much prefer a take out and sit in the comfort of our own home. They said they are even busier than when they offered a sit down service, and they do a delivery service, observing the social distancing.

The owner was joking and said, "we may not bother re opening the restaurant and just operate an online delivery service only". He said he won't have to pay all the waiters wages. But surely he will have to pay all the delivery drivers wages. :thinking:
Delivery drivers don't need to tidy up plates or deal with drinks orders, clean tables so I'd guess you need far fewer drivers.

Some of the local places charge say, £1.50 per delivery, that goes to the driver as wages, often straight in the back pocket(I know a couple), I had words with a Deliveroo delivery rider who got upset when I wouldn’t step off the pavement to let him cycle past, why wasn’t he on the road? “No lights on my bike mate”

DSCF2726.jpg

DSCF2728.jpg

Our local Aldi is normally very busy first thing in the morning, and there is normally a large queue that has already formed. No queue waiting at the door, and nobody inside shopping. Maybe most are now doing it online, possibly.

On the plus side, it was a nice shopping experience for me. :)

It looks like your first stop was the booze section . . . :ROFLMAO:

DSCF2734.jpgsmall.jpg

Popped into farmoods about fifteen minutes later. No fighting over the toilet rolls, the toilet rolls are at the other end.
Sods law, no massive queue for the bog roll, and I don't need any.

Again, maybe people are doing their farmood shopping online. Nice shopping experience for me again.

Its hit and miss - Waitrose last Friday evening was very quiet but the previous Sat M&S were queing for first time in ages!

I filled up with fuel at Asda and no other cars about filling up. Inside the shop was not too busy. But a good few people at the other end, they were picking up their pre ordered stuff.

Its hit and miss - Waitrose last Friday evening was very quiet but the previous Sat M&S were queing for first time in ages!

Alot of it is probably just down to timing. We go shopping at Tesco at around 9:00am on a Saturday, no queueing, not overly busy, if I can't get on a till without a customer, there is very rarely more than one person queueing at a till. A couple of hours later and people, maybe half a dozen, get stopped by the traffic lights at the door, A few hours later again and the queue outside is stretching across the store front. Get there at 5pm and it is probably back to being able to walk straight in again.

John Lewis is seen as a high end store, and maybe they can charge a slightly higher price for some goods, possibly down to quality too.
But if they and other high end stores went online only, they would not have an advantage that a higher end store may have.
All online shops could create a nice looking quality web site, it is only classy looking photos, and a nice web design, not like outfitting a whole shop.

Back