All things related to Android phones & tablets

Well only had the feature for a week, but my most common use is writing emails and having a pdf drawing or document open that I am commenting on or referring too, saves a lot of switching between applications and constantly having half written emails saved as drafts.
Guess you are using a tablet for that. But yes good use case I normally defer to the desktop for that.

So a phone that is almost as big as the smallest tablet is called a phablet.......
Does that mean that a tablet that is almost as big as the smallest laptop should be called a tabtop :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people rave about the stock Android experience. I don't know what it's like as I've never had a phone with it.

My phone's main screen is a one stop shop for information I need at a glance.
1475142738828.jpg

Next 5 appointments widget. From Smooth Calendar
Weather 7 days widget. From Devexpert.
Weather 24 hours widget. From AIX

Telegram open source Messenger.
Simplenote. Sync notes immediately cross platform
Opera Web browser. The grandad of browsers the others all copied.
Mapswipe. Help create maps, save lives and have fun. By various humanitarian agencies.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an alternative for agenda widget? It hasn't been working since the android 7 upgrade and would be useful to get something similar back.

Look at the widget in the post before yours. You can customise the dates widget in the top right corner to show just what you need.

It's from Smooth Calendar. I chose the text colour and number of events and size of the entries. You can change just about anything to suit you.

Last edited:
Look at the widget in the post before yours. You can customise the dates widget in the top right corner to show just what you need.

It's from Smooth Calendar. I chose the text colour and number of events and size of the entries. You can change just about anything to suit you.
That's just what I was after, thank you.

This is me now.
Screenshot_20160929-140709.jpg Screenshot_20160929-135502.jpg Screenshot_20160929-135513_20160929140501431.jpg

LOL @ the fitness apps,they don't get used!

Last edited:
Well I'm beginning to think I have made a mistake with my wileyfox, they customer service is utter rubbish, emails are taking around 3 days to be answered! It is away with them for repair and they are not telling me how long it will take. I can't believe a company in this day and age would have such dire service. Stuck using an old htc that doesn't work properly :( What to do....?

Last edited:
Well I'm beginning to think I have made a mistake with my wileyfox, they customer service is utter rubbish, emails are taking around 3 days to be answered! It is away with them for repair and they are not telling me how long it will take. I can't believe a company in this day and age would have such dire service. Stuck using an old htc that doesn't work properly :( What to do....?
Yup exactly my experience. 60 days old our Wileyfox looked older than my 4 year old iPhone 5, but no customer service calls it normal wear and tear. Then the lights start flickering, they don't want to know. I would never ever get one of those again, nice on paper, looked good, but oh so crap.

What are your options?

Yup exactly my experience. 60 days old our Wileyfox looked older than my 4 year old iPhone 5, but no customer service calls it normal wear and tear. Then the lights start flickering, they don't want to know. I would never ever get one of those again, nice on paper, looked good, but oh so crap.

I have emailed amazon saying I am not happy with the situation I have ended up in, amazon told me they will refund me when I get the phone back and get it sent to them. So hopefully wiley fox will be sending the handset back fairly soon, though I am not holding my breath.

Wonder if anyone can help. I'm using a samsung S7 and have installed a custom launcher and icon pack. How come some of the apps have an equals symbol next to them? The ocd in me is going mental!

Wonder if anyone can help. I'm using a samsung S7 and have installed a custom launcher and icon pack. How come some of the apps have an equals symbol next to them? The ocd in me is going mental!

can you share a screen dump so we can see what you are referring to?

can you share a screen dump so we can see what you are referring to?
3c33af36ff5554f274f9ca81c303f21c.jpg

Hope this works.

Action launcher 3. Tried a couple of icon packs and they all have the symbol next to the icon for certain apps. It's mad!

Action launcher 3. Tried a couple of icon packs and they all have the symbol next to the icon for certain apps. It's mad!
Ok its a feature of the launcher called "shutters".
The = symbol means that there are widgets associated to the app available.

Check the setting of the launcher itself and see if there is an option to turn shutters off.

Alternatively long press the icons and see if there is an option to turn it off that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok its a feature of the launcher called "shutters".
The = symbol means that there are widgets associated to the app available.

Check the setting of the launcher itself and see if there is an option to turn shutters off.

Alternatively long press the icons and see if there is an option to turn it off that way.
Thank you so much. That's worked and now it all looks clean and lovely.

After finally managing to contact wiley fox via email they sent me the details of the the repairer and told me they would request it to be sent back, a day or 2 goes by and I decide to ring them on monday, 45 minutes listening to we are transferring your call, I hung up,. The repairers are called sbe ltd, I googled them and my goodness the reviews are poor! I some how manage to find an online chat at wiley fox's website, my details were missing against the case number! They eventually found my details and said I shall email our contact at the repairers! Email I said why not phone, we can't contact him by phone, email is the quickest way! How pathetic is that, I told them they had to have back to me by friday at the latest, and remarkably sbe are sending my phone and it's delivery is tomorrow. So they sit with a phone which has software issues and apparently "the component to fix my phone is not currently available" Just unbelievable!

On a good note amazon have sent the returns label in readiness and will refund me as soon as it gets back to them. I raided the piggy bank and brought a sony xperia xa from carphone warehouse today as a replacement.

I'd never heard of Wiley Fox before. Would you say they are to be avoided?
Wiley Fox is a British Brand providing a Chine Clone in a nice package with on paper great specs and especially the Swift model has been reviewed favourably. The guy behind it is former Motorola.

Personally I really don't like how they almost instantly abandoned their flag ship model the Storm. They look amazing but the build quality is pretty bad; screen scratches by looking at it, paint flakes off, the body easily chips. Within 3 months it looked like something that wrestled with Mike Tyson. I've never experienced anything like it before. Their customer service is terrible, outsourced to someone else in Germany I think; their response is a very stern not our issue you should treat it better. Yup like I did with all my other phones which are just fine.

I would just avoid, the idea was good for the start up but they are totally messing it up with the quality of the product and their aftercare.

The new google pixel looks interesting don't you think? It's built well by the sounds of things from first reports, it's the fastest handset out there on android with its snapdragon 821 and 4gb of ram and as the best phone camera to date. Specs are just 12mp and an f1.8 or f2
(I forget) but it's scored 89 on DXO which is some feat! 1.55 micron pixel size too which puts in up there in the "ultra pixel" ball park in terms of individual pixel size which may explain why it's scored as high as it has.

Completely bare android too without any dodgy skins and the first phone to be built by google (hence the pixel name and not nexus).

If the pricing is right then I may be surely tempted!

Some info.. https://madeby.google.com/phone/

Just checked, - 128gb in black with he larger 5.5" display is £819.. that's literally gunning for the iPhone 7 plus in the same size!

Last edited:
It does look interesting, but the promise of a battery that last all day? Ahum, just a day? And a lot of focus on how quickly it charges. Confirming my suspicion that battery life isn't great.

On paper it looks a solid machine, but what happened to the Nexus phones being a nice and affordable entry to a top quality Android phone? Together with Samsung their pricing is just at Apple's level. Very similar to what Google has done with their Pixel Chromebook, again hugely expensive.

Time will tell whether it is actually good value for money as well.

The Pixel does interest me indeed! However, I can't justify the cost of it. For some people that they are always busy and on the move, it may well be suit their needs but I work at home, most of the time I use my laptop anyway so don't think I would get it with that price tag. I was hoping it would be like the Nexus phones which were affordable with nice design and functions.

If it were 1/3 the price then it would be interesting, but otherwise not so much. But then I'm not target market, and don't want to spend that kind of money on a device that will get minimal use.

Yes. I use mine quite a lot, and agree about 1/3 the price would be be more reasonable. It looks like it doesn't take a microSD card to get you to pay 7 times the price for the larger capacity.

Last edited:
I'd never heard of Wiley Fox before. Would you say they are to be avoided?
I certainly. Would, it's the customer service issue that let's them down, the repairers as well are useless. Lots of unhappy people show up on a Google search. It's just lucky I had originally purchased through Amazon, they are kindly refunding me, this wouldn't have happened had I purchased direct.

The new google pixel looks interesting don't you think? It's built well by the sounds of things from first reports, it's the fastest handset out there on android with its snapdragon 821 and 4gb of ram and as the best phone camera to date. Specs are just 12mp and an f1.8 or f2
(I forget) but it's scored 89 on DXO which is some feat! 1.55 micron pixel size too which puts in up there in the "ultra pixel" ball park in terms of individual pixel size which may explain why it's scored as high as it has.

Completely bare android too without any dodgy skins and the first phone to be built by google (hence the pixel name and not nexus).

If the pricing is right then I may be surely tempted!

Some info.. https://madeby.google.com/phone/

Just checked, - 128gb in black with he larger 5.5" display is £819.. that's literally gunning for the iPhone 7 plus in the same size!
I was gobsmacked when I saw the prices on Carphone for sim free

It's a shame, I was hoping of a continuation of the Nexus line under a new name but manufactured by google themselves. But with that pricing they have left the ethos of the Nexus brand behind and gone full on Apple.

Shame, but fortunately the likes of Huwei seem to be doing a good job.

It's a shame, I was hoping of a continuation of the Nexus line under a new name but manufactured by google themselves. But with that pricing they have left the ethos of the Nexus brand behind and gone full on Apple.

Shame, but fortunately the likes of Huwei seem to be doing a good job.
To be honest, they aren't that cheap either. Well not if you want a version that is loosely compatible, you are then also talking serious money. Ofcourse if you are happy to give up on certain features and compromise there is a lot of choice available.

I've had the Nexus 4, 5 and now 5x. The Pixel is a competitor to the Apple 7.
Not on my want list at the prices at the moment!

Looks a stunning high end phone. But the upward prices started with the 6 anyway so it's no surprise that it is so highly priced.

Back