All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Odd iPad Pro (Or Apple in general question)
I have a Mac, 11 Pro and iPad Pro. when I import photos to the iPad, they aren't syncing with the rest of my devices. I'm logged on with the same log in for all three. Any ideas?

Edit, just noticed that photos from my iPhone aren't syncing with the Mac, but are with the iPad? Weird!

Odd iPad Pro (Or Apple in general question)
I have a Mac, 11 Pro and iPad Pro. when I import photos to the iPad, they aren't syncing with the rest of my devices. I'm logged on with the same log in for all three. Any ideas?

Edit, just noticed that photos from my iPhone aren't syncing with the Mac, but are with the iPad? Weird!
I found the same when iOS 13 came out even though the Mac was on Catalina but eventually (several days) it settled down. So have you updated any device?

Edit: typos

Last edited:
I found the same when iOS 13 came out even though th MAC was on Catalina but eventually (several dats) it settled down. So have you updated any device?
All devices are updated to the latest software

Have you checked your sync settings on the Mac? In System Preferences, Apple ID, is Photos ticked?

Interesting. In the Mac, its not ticked. when I try to tick it, I'm prompted to enter my admin password which I do. It then unticks itself... I tried again, ad the same thing happens

Hmm... Strange! I didn't have Photos turned on on my MacBook, so I tried turning it on and it did the same for me, i.e. asked for a password then turned it back off!

I'll have a hunt around and see what I can find out, but I'm new to the Mac so maybe an expert can step in here with some suggestions.

OK, I've solved it.

Open the Photos app. Open Preferences from the Photos menu. Make sure it shows the location of your Photos library at the top; mine says garry/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary.

On the General tab, click on the "Use as System Photo Library" button. On the iCloud tab, turn on iCloud Photos. Then choose whether to download full-sized images even when offline, or to Optimise Mac Storage.

Your photos should start downloading straight away if you're connected to the internet. In any case, you can now go into System Preferences and turn on Photos there.

OK, I've solved it.

Open the Photos app. Open Preferences from the Photos menu. Make sure it shows the location of your Photos library at the top; mine says garry/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary.

On the General tab, click on the "Use as System Photo Library" button. On the iCloud tab, turn on iCloud Photos. Then choose whether to download full-sized images even when offline, or to Optimise Mac Storage.

Your photos should start downloading straight away if you're connected to the internet. In any case, you can now go into System Preferences and turn on Photos there.

Perfect! Thanks for taking the time to figure that one out!

Can anyone recommend a cordless keyboard and mouse/trackpad for to use on my iPad Pro? Due to the Coronavirus scare, Mrs NickTB has been forced to work from home, which means the Mac is now employed elsewhere. I have a stand for the iPad so don’t need a case with keyboard built in, more a stand alone option.
Again, any advice is welcomed.
Thanks,
Nick

Can anyone recommend a cordless keyboard and mouse/trackpad for to use on my iPad Pro? Due to the Coronavirus scare, Mrs NickTB has been forced to work from home, which means the Mac is now employed elsewhere. I have a stand for the iPad so don’t need a case with keyboard built in, more a stand alone option.
Again, any advice is welcomed.
Thanks,
Nick

Nick, I'm not sure if this will help you, but I've got a "Microsoft Surface Wedge" blue tooth mouse that I use with my 2017 iPad Pro and it works a treat. As for the keyboard I just took my iPad into Curry's PC World and tried some of the blue tooth ones there. I ended up not getting one as the mouse & keyboard apparently won't operate together (I could be wrong) using blue tooth unless they are the genuine Apple units. ie only one non Apple blue tooth device at a time.

George.

Nick, I'm not sure if this will help you, but I've got a "Microsoft Surface Wedge" blue tooth mouse that I use with my 2017 iPad Pro and it works a treat. As for the keyboard I just took my iPad into Curry's PC World and tried some of the blue tooth ones there. I ended up not getting one as the mouse & keyboard apparently won't operate together (I could be wrong) using blue tooth unless they are the genuine Apple units. ie only one non Apple blue tooth device at a time.

George.
Thanks George, I didn’t consider a clash between mouse and keyboard. Maybe a built in trackpad would work

Thanks George, I didn’t consider a clash between mouse and keyboard. Maybe a built in trackpad would work

Nick, I can’t help you on that one as I’ve never tried one, I can only assume that it would work as only one device.

George.

I think bluetooth 5 allows multiple devices connected, so maybe a BT5.0 keyboard and mouse?

Bit of a noob question here. I downloaded some jpgs from Lightroom to my desktop, and picked them up on my iPad Pro. Downloaded these directly to photos and they went from 13mb to 6 on import. Is there a button I should be checking or something to avoid this?

Bit of a noob question here. I downloaded some jpgs from Lightroom to my desktop, and picked them up on my iPad Pro. Downloaded these directly to photos and they went from 13mb to 6 on import. Is there a button I should be checking or something to avoid this?

Go to settings, photos, select “download and keep originals”.

Go to settings, photos, select “download and keep originals”.
Thanks, I think that worked.. My current problem is this. I'm editing in lightroom on the mac and saving the jpg to my desktop in a folder. I then download the file, to edit in snapseed or similar but it refuses to open? It says downloaded, but if I tap on it, nothing happens. If I download the file in a smaller size (say 5-10mb) it opens fine.

New iPad Pro 2020 released; doesn't look much different from the 2018 model - new Keyboard with a Trackpad though and full mouse supporting coming in iOS 13.4
And new MacBook Air.

My original iPad Mini is handy for very basic browsing, carrying in a coat pocket etc but I have just discovered that it does't like (won't work with) my external microphone, though the mic works fine with my iPad and iPhone 7.
Anyone know a workaround, or which version Mini would be okay with an external microphone please?

Ipad Mini has a dedicated earphone slot ... doesn't work in the lightning slot! :eggface:

Last edited:
Looking to replace my wife's iPad Air (original), I'm confused as to why the current iPad Air (£479 for 64GB) is so much more expensive than the base iPad (£349 for 32GB, £399 for 128GB). Looking at the comparator on Apple's site, there doesn't seem a huge amount of difference (slightly higher rated processor, 7Mp front camera vs 1.2 Mp front camera). The use case is mostly Farcebook and Facetime, plus email...

I'm inclined to think there's no significant advantage in the Air for this usage...

Oh, while I'm here, has anyone used the Apple trade in partner Square 1 tradein (or something like that)? I'd be interested in how it actually works in practice, eg do you have to send off your old iPad before you buy the new one? Thanks

Looking to replace my wife's iPad Air (original), I'm confused as to why the current iPad Air (£479 for 64GB) is so much more expensive than the base iPad (£349 for 32GB, £399 for 128GB). Looking at the comparator on Apple's site, there doesn't seem a huge amount of difference (slightly higher rated processor, 7Mp front camera vs 1.2 Mp front camera). The use case is mostly Farcebook and Facetime, plus email...

I'm inclined to think there's no significant advantage in the Air for this usage...

I normally check with https://bramley-computers.co.uk/ for valuations on used stuff. They buy apple gear. They also sell second hand so it might be worth checking to see what they have.

I had the Air 2 and seem to remember people said it was much better than the Air original. It’s still in the family, working well. For complicated reasons I now have the Air 3 and the Pro 10.5 and I would say that there not a lot of difference between any of the three (Apple pencil doesn't work on the Air2.)
So I suspect I would be OK with the current iPad ‘vanilla’ and go for the bigger memory, 32gb is a bit small for me. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the comments, folks. No-one actually used the trade-in then? I think Bramley are only after more recent stuff, Suz.

Being locked away in the house ATM is highlighting the limitations on my up-to-now perfectly good iPad.
New things like digital newspaper, Amazon videos, video-conferencing etc are causing some lag on wnat has otherwise been ok.
It's a 64GB Gen 4 iPad retina MD524B/A wifi + cellular.

Looking at under £400 what would be my best option for an iPad that will bring back a bit of 'zip' to my tablet use?
Options seems a bit baffling, iPad, iPad Pro, Mini, Air, Air2.

Being locked away in the house ATM is highlighting the limitations on my up-to-now perfectly good iPad.
New things like digital newspaper, Amazon videos, video-conferencing etc are causing some lag on wnat has otherwise been ok.

Looking at under £400 what would be my best option for an iPad that will bring back a bit of 'zip' to my tablet use?
I use a 10.5 pro i find it fast enough for all my requirements and a quick search says they loads faster than a 4th gen. price wise too about 300 2nd hand i think.

I’d be surprised if the current new basic iPad wasn’t a big improvement:
https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-10.2/

but under £400 will only be 32gb & Wi-Fi only.

Looks good and John Lewis and some others are doing 128GB at £399
Can you use th pencil to write on any documents or just in certain Apps?

The pencil works with most apps - either just as a standard input or in note-taking / annotating apps - are there any particular document types your thinking of?

The pencil works with most apps - either just as a standard input or in note-taking / annotating apps - are there any particular document types your thinking of?
SWMBO like doing the crossword on the newspaper but its now digital, could she use it on that?
I use Goodreader and I assume it would be fine with that but some other document downloads (Dropbox pdf's Word docs etc) it would be useful if it worked with them too.

Would an iPad Pro 2nd Gen be a better option than the new iPad or iPad Air?

Back