All things related to Apple phones & tablets

After much searching and checking I've go for a new iPad Air and Pencil and it's coming tomorrow.
I believe it is now possible (IOS 13) to move files across in a 'Windows Explorer' type of way?
I've seen possible use of a Lightning to USB adapter or something like an iStick memory stick ... what is the best way to go and does it really work transfering stuff over?

After much searching and checking I've go for a new iPad Air and Pencil and it's coming tomorrow.
I believe it is now possible (IOS 13) to move files across in a 'Windows Explorer' type of way?
I've seen possible use of a Lightning to USB adapter or something like an iStick memory stick ... what is the best way to go and does it really work transfering stuff over?

Anyone at all?

I use icloud on my ipad so when I get a new one and login with my apple id all the junk I normally have magically appears without me having to do much.

Not quite sure what the question means, but we've just transferred from an ancient iPad Air to a new iPad. We found an article on Apple's site that told us we could transfer the content via bluetooth, just sitting the iPads close to one another. Once started the old Air put a pattern on its screen that I had to image with the camera on the new one. Once it picked that up, it went ahead. However, it did use the iCloud backup to get the files across in the end (there was even an option to get the old Air to do another backup before the restore). It didn't take long. We don't have a paid iCloud account, but then again it looked like under 7 GB of the storage on the old iPad had been used when I checked!

There was a bit of subsequent faff setting up the email account, but less than we expected. It went well.

I use icloud on my ipad so when I get a new one and login with my apple id all the junk I normally have magically appears without me having to do much.
Not quite sure what the question means, but we've just transferred from an ancient iPad Air to a new iPad. We found an article on Apple's site that told us we could transfer the content via bluetooth, just sitting the iPads close to one another. Once started the old Air put a pattern on its screen that I had to image with the camera on the new one. Once it picked that up, it went ahead. However, it did use the iCloud backup to get the files across in the end (there was even an option to get the old Air to do another backup before the restore). It didn't take long. We don't have a paid iCloud account, but then again it looked like under 7 GB of the storage on the old iPad had been used when I checked!

There was a bit of subsequent faff setting up the email account, but less than we expected. It went well.

My old iPad is only IOS 10.something so I can't do the proximity transfer but I do have iCloud and so am manually restoring to the new Air. However I read that the restore doesn't include photos & videos, hence me thinking that I would need to find another way of transfering videos & photos over.
It's still restoring ATM so I don't know how comprehensive the restore will be but just concerned when I read that it doesn't transfer everything.

You didn't say on which operating system, but since you mentioned Windows Explorer (now File Explorer), yes it does. Usually.

You tap the icon that's three dots in a circle near the top left of the screen in landscape mode (in portrait mode, tap the Browse icon at the bottom right to see this icon), and then tap "Connect to Server". You can either enter a server name or an IP address. If you don't know the IP address of the PC you want to connect to, open the Settings, click Network and Internet, then View your Network Properties. The IP address you want is the one next to "IPv4 address". Enter this in the Server field on the iPad then tap Connect.

If this is the first time you've connected to this PC you'll have to enter your user name and password, then tap Next. If you've connected before, these fields will be already filled in for you. After you tap Next, you'll see any shares from your PC. If you haven't set up any shared folders, here's Microsoft's help page on the subject. (Even if you have, I'm assuming others will be reading this post at some point.)

The connection should stay up until you restart either the PC or the iPad, or if you deliberately disconnect. To disconnect the PC from the iPad, look down the left hand side of the iPad's Files app and look under Shared and you should see the PC listed by IP address. There should be a blue eject icon to the right.

For a long time there have been problems with the Files app when connecting to PCs, though it seems to work fine on Macs. Sometimes the iPad just refuses to connect, and it usually looks as if either it can't find the PC or the PC is rejecting the connection. As it's an iPad, there isn't a log file you can check - at least on the iPad end; you might find something on the PC. If it doesn't work, you could try restarting either the iPad, the PC, or both. Or just use a USB stick or Dropbox to do the transfer.

Since you have an Apple iCloud account, you could install the Windows 10 version of iCloud. This way you can drag files into the iCloud Drive folders on one machine and retrieve them a short while later (sometimes as little as one second, depending on speed of connection and how clogged up the tubes are).

If you (or others reading this) aren't familiar with how to use the Files app here's Apple's support page

I read that the restore doesn't include photos & videos, hence me thinking that I would need to find another way of transfering videos & photos over.

You might already know that if your photos and videos are stored on iCloud you don't need to restore them. They'll just reappear once you sign into your iCloud account.

Apple have launched the new iPhone SE. The form factor is a tad familiar.

I did like the original SE small form factor.
As that was the body of the 5 with innards or the 6s, this is the body of the 8 with the innards of the 11 from a quick skim.

Shame I’ve grown to actually quite like my XR.

This might be the first iPhone I've ever actually wanted to own: really like the idea of a 4.7" screen and decently powerful processor, but the little information I've seen suggests it's expected to be crippled in some way other than just having a single camera so it won't compete with the upper end.

This might be the first iPhone I've ever actually wanted to own: really like the idea of a 4.7" screen and decently powerful processor, but the little information I've seen suggests it's expected to be crippled in some way other than just having a single camera so it won't compete with the upper end.

Crippled? It’s not designed to compete with the upper end in any way. The XR also has a single camera, and like the SE it produces some decent imagery. Neither have the night mode options of the 11 range, but the SE is hardly “crippled”.

Same for me, if I didn't have the XR, I would go for it. My work mobile is an iPhone 7 so I know I like the smaller size but I also like a lot of the features of the Xr (fullscreen, faceID). Cameras are not a factor for me.

Crippled? It’s not designed to compete with the upper end in any way. The XR also has a single camera, and like the SE it produces some decent imagery. Neither have the night mode options of the 11 range, but the SE is hardly “crippled”.

Defensive somewhat?

The point is that such a phone is very likely to cannibalise sales of the higher models - I've seen numerous posts from people on The Register suggesting they would not have bought an XR if they'd known this was coming. So one has to ask in what way Apple may have crippled performance to stop it taking sales away form the higher-margin models.

Apart from the pi55y size battery that is. 1850mAh in 2020? At least it has wireless charging so it can be dropped on a charger in the evening.

Not at all. I just thought saying the model was “crippled” was strange.

I wrote "the little information I've seen suggests it's expected to be crippled in some way other than just having a single camera so it won't compete with the upper end. "

Not saying the model was crippled, but that there was a suggestion it might be for reasons that are obvious. If it isn't then that's good news.

I wrote "the little information I've seen suggests it's expected to be crippled in some way other than just having a single camera so it won't compete with the upper end. "

Not saying the model was crippled, but that there was a suggestion it might be for reasons that are obvious. If it isn't then that's good news.

There are two great differentiators. Size and cost. Over the past few months we saw sales of iPhone 7 and 8 models decline steeply because of demand for the larger screens. The SE will appeal to those that specifically want a large phone or to pay over £1000. I really don’t think it will be a case of losing sales of the higher end models to sales of the SE.
In the Apple range the closest current model in size to the SE is the 11 Pro. Someone on the market to buy an 11 Pro is not going to be swayed by the SE.

There are two great differentiators. Size and cost. Over the past few months we saw sales of iPhone 7 and 8 models decline steeply because of demand for the larger screens. The SE will appeal to those that specifically want a large phone or to pay over £1000. I really don’t think it will be a case of losing sales of the higher end models to sales of the SE.
In the Apple range the closest current model in size to the SE is the 11 Pro. Someone on the market to buy an 11 Pro is not going to be swayed by the SE.

What was the least expensive recent iPhone - the 11. £419 vs £729. If you'd had an SE & wanted a new iPhone then the least un-affordable option was the 11.

I have slightly mixed feelings about the size - I really miss a pocketable phone, but I do read a lot on my 6" screen model. A 4.7" screen enabled me to justify a tablet, but a 6" model meant it wasn't needed & got sold.

Can anyone steer me in. the right direction ?

I'm looking for a decent app for my iPhone & iPad that enables me to convert speech to text ie a dictation app. Its something I do regularly on my MacBook Pro using Google Docs but this facility from Google is not available on my iPhone or iPad.

Any help would be much appreciated.,

George.

Can anyone steer me in. the right direction ?

I'm looking for a decent app for my iPhone & iPad that enables me to convert speech to text ie a dictation app. Its something I do regularly on my MacBook Pro using Google Docs but this facility from Google is not available on my iPhone or iPad.

George.

How about the built in notes app?

How about the built in notes app?

Very many thanks for that, it works a treat, and it also works perfectly on other note taking apps. I must admit I dd't even consider that it would already be on my iPhone & iPad. (y)

George.

Last edited:
I've just got an observation to make; I've got an iPhone X currently, which I've had for about 1.5 years or so. Now, I added a glass screen protector to this, off Ebay. Nothing special, but about £1-£2 or so. Now, I've just given the screen good clean to get rid of fingerprints and it is absolutely spotless. Literally not a mark, as good as day one. And I know from past experience of not using a screen protector, marks happen extremely easily. My other half has an iPhone X too, and that is obliterated with marks. Now I've kept mine in my pocket when out, had a few tables, been on about 9 airplanes etc, all the usual stuff over 1.5 years. But not a mark. So how come, each year the glass on the iPhone and other phones, appears to get so much tougher but cannot withstand marks that a cheap £2 protector does... I find it mind boggling. Or is this once again a deliberate "lifespan" on iPhone glass so that after a few years, marks induce an upgrade? Anyone with manufacturing knowledge care to comment or other thoughts? Or have I been locked in for too long and my mind is wandering!

Dunno about iPhones, but the glass on my iPad Air 2 (had a bit over a year, bought s/h but was immaculate) is permanently marked by the keys on the Belkin keyboard case thingy. You can see the imprint, if you hold it up to the light. By contrast, the glass on my Samsung S7 what I've had for a few years now, in and out of me pocket all the time, looks practically new once I've given it a wipe. Maybe the Samsung glass is just better. Does seem like pretty much every iPhone user I know has either smashed or scratched the glass on their 'phone.

If you've ever broken one of those glass screen protectors you'll have noticed that they're brittle. They break into a thousand tiny pieces that mostly stay together like a car windshield. I could be wrong but I think that Gorilla Glass is tough in a different way that makes it much harder to break and easier to bounce, but a little easier to scratch.

Last edited:
If you've ever broken one of those glass screen protectors you'll have noticed that they're brittle. They break into a thousand tiny pieces that mostly stay together like a car windshield. I could be wrong but I think that Gorilla Glass is tough in a different way that makes it much harder to break and easier you bounce, but a little easier to scratch.

That's a very good point actually! The man with the brains!

Just a simple question with regards to uploading Photos or Videos to iCloud from my iPad Pro & iPhone 7 Plus.

Does anyone know of a way to upload a single shot or single video clip to iCloud without having to upload everything on my photo stream.
The way I read it when enabling my photos app to iCloud then everything uploads which is not what I want to do.

George.

Just a simple question with regards to uploading Photos or Videos to iCloud from my iPad Pro & iPhone 7 Plus.

Does anyone know of a way to upload a single shot or single video clip to iCloud without having to upload everything on my photo stream.
The way I read it when enabling my photos app to iCloud then everything uploads which is not what I want to do.

George.

I've managed to do it now via a work round, I don't know if this is the way some of you would do it ?

I made up a folder in files.
Opened the photos app.
Tapped the share button.
Tapped save to files.
Tapped iCloud drive.
Tapped the folder I had made up.
Tapped save.

And there it was in iCloud.

George.

Last edited:
Maybe you all know this but it was news to me :(.
On the iPad (maybe phone too I haven’t checked), quite often “save as pdf“ isn’t available and it is not in the “print” dialogue either BUT if you choose “print” (possibly even without a printer available) and then “pinch-spread” the preview it turns into a pdf that can be shared/saved. Not many people know that, at least I didn’t :(.

Back