All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Interesting bit of text in the June edition of "Mac Format".

Quote :- Neatly, the series of iPad Pro ads were shot, edited, animated, designed, and composed entirely on iPad Pro using an app called "Filmic Pro".

@garryknight mentioned "Filmic Pro" somewhere in one of his posts so I downloaded it onto my iPhone & iPad Pro and have had some good results from it, if a bit elementary on my behalf. I must admit I could see the software was very good but didn't realise it was quite that good.

George.

Last edited:
I must admit I could see the software was very good but didn't realise it was quite that good.

It's excellent, George. Especially if you want to get 'flat' video to make colour correction and grading easy. The same company makes an app called DoubleTake which allows you to simultaneously shoot video on your front and back cameras. Great for vloggers, probably not much use for anyone else. And, of course, there's their photo camera app, FirstLight, which is also excellent.

Ok all my 7 plus screen has started to come away at the top, in fairness it has not got any worse in the last week since I did it. (I dropped it while not in a case)
It all works fine etc no scratches or cracks on screen but thinking it’s time I upgraded anyway.
I’m looking at a SE I like the button plus needs to fit in my pocket ok and often find the 7 plus a bit big.
I have a iPad Pro for home so it’s just to use as a phone and browse on etc.
any opinions ?
I will buy new but it is my max budget.

Last edited:
Ok all my 7 plus screen has started to come away at the top, in fairness it has not got any worse in the last week since I did it. (I dropped it while not in a case)
It all works fine etc no scratches or cracks on screen but thinking it’s time I upgraded anyway.
I’m looking at a SE I like the button plus needs to fit in my pocket ok and often find the 7 plus a bit big.
I have a iPad Pro for home so it’s just to use as a phone and browse on etc.
any opinions ?
I will buy new but it is my max budget.

Wife had the old one, i found screen to small but a good phone and decent value if you don't want a bigger one.

Wife had the old one, i found screen to small but a good phone and decent value if you don't want a bigger one.
wasn't the old one a smaller screen ?
my mrs has the xr lol.
for me i am a roofer so climbing about on roofs a lot and kneeling etc so find the 7 plus a little big at times in my pocket all the time.
just don't want to buy one and after think i wish i had just stuck with the 7 plus or wish i had bought something else if that makes sense.
im used to a 5.5 on the 7 plus the SE is a 4.7 but im not sure how that would affect me in real terms.

my mrs has the xr lol.
for me i am a roofer so climbing about on roofs a lot and kneeling etc so find the 7 plus a little big at times in my pocket all the time.
just don't want to buy one and after think i wish i had just stuck with the 7 plus or wish i had bought something else if that makes sense.
im used to a 5.5 on the 7 plus the SE is a 4.7 but im not sure how that would affect me in real terms.

If you’re a builder I think the convenience of unlocking the phone by looking at it as opposed to having to touch a button would be a big plus for the XR. If you don’t like the size I’d think about getting a refurbished X from the Apple website.

my mrs has the xr lol.
You can buy the original SE, which many like, for £80 or £100 Refurb (eg giffgaff, unlocked) with a 12 month warranty, runs the same iOS 13 as the 7+.

You can buy the original SE, which many like, for £80 or £100 Refurb (eg giffgaff, unlocked) with a 12 month warranty, runs the same iOS 13 as the 7+.
yes but i think that would also defeat the purpose of a upgrade lol

That’s what we went for bought one each they have been excellent too

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this question.

Does anyone have experience of add on lenses for an iPhone and if so what make and how good are they ? This is the next step forward for me with my video work using my iPhone so I want to increase the video versatility of my iPhone 7 Plus with extra lenses.

George.

I bought these cheap Hama ones from Jessops. I recommend that you avoid them. They're OOF around the edges.

Thanks for that Gary, I‘ve been looking at some reviews about “Moment” lenses and they seem to be getting good comments.

George.

I'm a bit confused... I'm on MacOS 10.14.6. I have an original iPhone SE, which is on 13.4.1. When I connect my iPhone to the Mac via USB in order to import some photos, I get regular dinging on the phpne at roughly 1 second intervals, and Photos sits as the top window on the Mac. Any attempt to dismiss Photos fails, as does any attempt to bring any other window to the front. Eventually, after disconnecting the iPhone, I found a message "A software update is required to connect to iPhone" (see https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208831).

Now, I'm still a die-hard clinging on to Aperture, so I have not updated to 10.15, and I don't want to do so yet. Is that what this window is trying to do?

If it is, then presumably I can't connect my iPhone via USB until either I update the Mac, or downgrade the IOS (don't know how to do that).

I think I could connect the iPhone to the family Windows box, get the images off, then put them in the Dropbox to get to my Mac, but that's a faff. Is there a better way? Both the iPhone and the Mac are on iCloud, but apart from Backup on the iPhpne I'm not sure how to "use" that!

I'm a bit confused... I'm on MacOS 10.14.6. I have an original iPhone SE, which is on 13.4.1. When I connect my iPhone to the Mac via USB in order to import some photos, I get regular dinging on the phpne at roughly 1 second intervals, and Photos sits as the top window on the Mac. Any attempt to dismiss Photos fails, as does any attempt to bring any other window to the front. Eventually, after disconnecting the iPhone, I found a message "A software update is required to connect to iPhone" (see https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208831).

Now, I'm still a die-hard clinging on to Aperture, so I have not updated to 10.15, and I don't want to do so yet. Is that what this window is trying to do?

If it is, then presumably I can't connect my iPhone via USB until either I update the Mac, or downgrade the IOS (don't know how to do that).

I think I could connect the iPhone to the family Windows box, get the images off, then put them in the Dropbox to get to my Mac, but that's a faff. Is there a better way? Both the iPhone and the Mac are on iCloud, but apart from Backup on the iPhpne I'm not sure how to "use" that!
One thing that occurs to me is that on your iPhone you can “Share“ your photos and choose “Save toFiles” and then access them on your Mac.

Seem to have worked around it temporarily, by logging into iCloud from my Mac and looking on Photos there. Found the pics and managed to download them. Luckily I only want a few, definitely not the rubbish photos the iPhone somehow seems to accumulate! (Wot, me, Gov?)

Can’t you Airdrop the photos?

Has anyone picked up an iPad Magic Keyboard?
I was a long time iPad Pro user (2nd and 3rd gen) but moved away to Windows as I really needed Windows for work; I now tend to use VM's which I could easily use on a 12.9 iPad.. but wondering how good that new Keyboard really is!

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this question.

Does anyone have experience of add on lenses for an iPhone and if so what make and how good are they ? This is the next step forward for me with my video work using my iPhone so I want to increase the video versatility of my iPhone 7 Plus with extra lenses.

George.

I've got myself a Kodak SL25 and a Kodak SL10 which are actually pretty damn good...

I find Aperture runs OK ”dual booting” into Mac OS 10.10 on an external firewire drive (probably would be even better from an external SSD or internal partition) , but also in a virtual Mac under Parallels (I’ve never managed to get a Mac OS run inning under VirtualBox :().

I found various problems synchung between iOS & MacOS when they were not all “up to date”.

"HEADS UP"

Just a quick Heads Up in case you're not already aware. "ON1 Photo" now has an App that is available for iPhone & iPad etc (and probably for other makes). I've downloaded it but not had a chance to try it yet, it looks pretty good though with apparently more facilities coming later.

George.

"HEADS UP"

Just a quick Heads Up in case you're not already aware. "ON1 Photo" now has an App that is available for iPhone & iPad etc (and probably for other makes). I've downloaded it but not had a chance to try it yet, it looks pretty good though with apparently more facilities coming later.

George.
Can it be used to convert Canon raws imported onto iPad or is it meant as an editor for mobile phone photos?

Can it be used to convert Canon raws imported onto iPad or is it meant as an editor for mobile phone photos?

Afraid I can’t help you with that one as I’ve never used Canon gear. I convert all my RAW files (Fuji & Sony) to DNG files and it opens them without problems.

George.

Afraid I can’t help you with that one as I’ve never used Canon gear. I convert all my RAW files (Fuji & Sony) to DNG files and it opens them without problems.

George.
Thanks, it probably will then I wasn’t sure from the information I found if the mobile version was for working on iPhone photos or all photos like DSLR raw files too

"HEADS UP"

George.
Just tried it works a treat on one of my 6D2 raws perfect for quick edits on my iPad Pro thanks for the heads up

"HEADS UP"

George.
Thanks George, downloaded it and gave it a quick spin. It has potential buts it’s a bit raw at the moment, crashed on me when I tried to export. Will keep my eye on it, hopefully it will eventually replace Lightroom mobile

Just tried it works a treat on one of my 6D2 raws perfect for quick edits on my iPad Pro thanks for the heads up

Thanks George, downloaded it and gave it a quick spin. It has potential buts it’s a bit raw at the moment, crashed on me when I tried to export. Will keep my eye on it, hopefully it will eventually replace Lightroom mobile

You’re both very welcome guy’s, “ENJOY”.

George.

Heres a strange one. I've noticed recently that a lot of selfies on Facebook appear to be mirrored. I've just checked on my phone and it does indeed show as mirrored. Checked a couple of old photos and they weren't so it seems to be a recent thing. No idea if it's just the latest iPhones (iPhone 11 here).

Updates all done & dusted with no problems.

George.

So guys, you've helped me out in the past with a couple of sync problems between my Mac (Mojave now) and iPhone (13.5.1). I've recently noticed that, although my Mac contacts have found their way to the phone, my iPhone contacts are not getting through to the Mac! Any idea why or how to fix?

I had a similar problem with Calendar entries in the past, finally tracked that one down to the iPhone being on a different (small c) calendar! I'm hoping there's a similarly simple explanation...

Back