All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
I can’t :)
Really looking forward to it.
They actually rang me about my order 30 minutes ago to clarify due to what they called discrepancies lol.
The problem was my orders normally get delivered in my Mrs name ie pencil and iPhone etc.
I wanted it delivered in my name I did point out to them all the orders were always paid for by me.

have you ordered one yourself yet ?
I've not ordered as yet as I want to try a magic keyboard somewhere first, I might just wait until I can stop by an Apple store to try one.

sphexx

Likes a dare
Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Just a heads up, you probably all know.

I don’t know what to think about phone/tablet repairs, on the one hand they are very reliable on the the other they can bite you when they fail or break. The answer would be modular I think but that would make them to chunky. Perhaps when batteries can be shrunk to the size of hearing aid batteries … :).

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a heads up, you probably all know.

I don’t know what to think about phone/tablet repairs, on the one hand they are very reliable on the the other they can bite you when they fail or break. The answer would be modular I think but that would make them to chunky. Perhaps when batteries can be shrunk to the size of hearing aid batteries … :).
I’m always careful with my stuff so I don’t get apple care.
The only item that is ever at risk is my main work phone which is why it’s a new iPhone se and not anything better.
I have probably saved 1/2 the cost of my new iPad by not taking out apple care over the years. :)

sphexx

Likes a dare
Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I’m always careful with my stuff so I don’t get apple care.
The only item that is ever at risk is my main work phone which is why it’s a new iPhone se and not anything better.
I have probably saved 1/2 the cost of my new iPad by not taking out apple care over the years. :)
I’m more or less the same on product “insurance” generally, which I never take out and by & large I must be quids in over the years since most stuff goes wrong within a few months or lasts years :).

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
"Just Out Of Interest"

I just wondered out of interest if other folk left their "iPad" or "iPhone" on 24/7. It's something at the moment I don't do, but my "MacBook Pro" is left on 24/7 and when I've finished using it I just put it into sleep mode but it's still plugged in.

I've read many things about this, some say you should leave them on and others say you shouldn't. I know that the Apple stores leave their units on & plugged in 24/7.

Marc

Mucky Rims, Clean Layout, New Camera
Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
"Just Out Of Interest"

I just wondered out of interest if other folk left their "iPad" or "iPhone" on 24/7. It's something at the moment I don't do, but my "MacBook Pro" is left on 24/7 and when I've finished using it I just put it into sleep mode but it's still plugged in.

I've read many things about this, some say you should leave them on and others say you shouldn't. I know that the Apple stores leave their units on & plugged in 24/7.
My iPhone is never turned off. Don't have an iPad but my Mac is only ever turned off if we're away.

sphexx

Likes a dare
Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I never turn off or sleep iPhone (11) and if I’m near the Anker magnetic charging rest I pop it on that and take it off if I notice it’s got to about 95% since it doesn’t seem to shut itself off and top up in the early am like it‘s supposed to on an Apple charger. the iPad iPad Pro and Air 3 I leave on the power cord most of the time.

FWIW I have my old iPad 2 (defective home button) that I use as a clock set to an Australian time zone on powered all the time and so far the battery also seems OK when needed. I also have an iPhone SE used (used) to stream some Tp link Tapo cams via an old Apple TV to a Samsung TV which is on power cord all the time.

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
My iPhone is never turned off. Don't have an iPad but my Mac is only ever turned off if we're away.
I never turn off or sleep iPhone (11) and if I’m near the Anker magnetic charging rest I pop it on that and take it off if I notice it’s got to about 95% since it doesn’t seem to shut itself off and top up in the early am like it‘s supposed to on an Apple charger. the iPad iPad Pro and Air 3 I leave on the power cord most of the time.

FWIW I have my old iPad 2 (defective home button) that I use as a clock set to an Australian time zone on powered all the time and so far the battery also seems OK when needed. I also have an iPhone SE used (used) to stream some Tp link Tapo cams via an old Apple TV to a Samsung TV which is on power cord all the time.
That's really interesting, I've read all sorts of reports on this and never come to a definite conclusion as to just what to do.

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
My iPhone the mrs iPhone my mums iPhone my sons iPhone my iPad my mrs iPad and my mums iPad
All stay on indefinitely apart from updates which obviously restarts them when installed.

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
So has anyone ditched the Macbook for an ipad? My current Macbook is a 2013 and to be honest still working well. But toying with the idea of updating at the next update/chip. An ipad would be more versatile but does it (Pro) have enough grunt of using LR and imovie compared to my macbook? Am also concerned at having the ipad not supported say in 7 years time (Macbooks seem to last longer in that respect)?

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
So has anyone ditched the Macbook for an ipad? My current Macbook is a 2013 and to be honest still working well. But toying with the idea of updating at the next update/chip. An ipad would be more versatile but does it (Pro) have enough grunt of using LR and imovie compared to my macbook? Am also concerned at having the ipad not supported say in 7 years time (Macbooks seem to last longer in that respect)?
I wouldn't go as far as to say I'd ditched my "15" MacBook Pro" (2019 model) but I'm certainly doing a whole bunch more work on my "12.9 iPad Pro" (2017 model). I shall be ordering the very latest "12.9 iPad Pro" just as soon as I'm fit enough to get to an Apple store to check something else out at the same time. And judging by the speck etc of the latest incarnations of "iPad Pros" I can certainly see me doing the majority of my PP work and most of my designs on the new unit.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I've worked almost exclusively off an iPad Pro since August 2019, they're amazing for photo editing in Lightroom. You have to subscribe to Creative Cloud though which I know a lot of people on here don't like. The apple pencil is also a must for editing photos so factor that into your buying costs. It absolutely flies through Raw files, and that's on a 2018 11" model. The new M1 powered iPads coming out next month are way faster.

You'll read loads of articles online about how iPads are horrible to work from and you can't get stuff done but it's just not true. People seem to want to use them in exactly the same way as a Macbook or PC, but it's a different OS and you have to learn how to use it.

As long as the apps you want are available on the iPad then there's no barrier to getting work done on an iPad. I don't have a keyboard and trackpad for mine yet, and since I'll have had it for 2 years in August I'll be eligible for an upgrade so may go with a new 12.9", so I'm holding off buying a keyboard in case I decide to switch. But I would say get a keyboard and trackpad case too, especially now there are some useable and more sensibly priced 3rd party alternatives to Apple's crazy £300+ magic keyboard

Last edited:
Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I've worked almost exclusively off an iPad Pro since August 2019, they're amazing for photo editing in Lightroom. You have to subscribe to Creative Cloud though which I know a lot of people on here don't like. The apple pencil is also a must for editing photos so factor that into your buying costs. It absolutely flies through Raw files, and that's on a 2018 11" model. The new M1 powered iPads coming out next month are way faster.

You'll read loads of articles online about how iPads are horrible to work from and you can't get stuff done but it's just not true. People seem to want to use them in exactly the same way as a Macbook or PC, but it's a different OS and you have to learn how to use it.

As long as the apps you want are available on the iPad then there's no barrier to getting work done on an iPad. I don't have a keyboard and trackpad for mine yet, and since I'll have had it for 2 years in August I'll be eligible for an upgrade so may go with a new 12.9", so I'm holding off buying a keyboard in case I decide to switch. But I would say get a keyboard and trackpad case too, especially now there are some useable and more sensibly priced 3rd party alternatives to Apple's crazy £300+ magic keyboard
I am on CC but always use the Classic version so thats not an issue.

I guess at a quick look at prices suggest (once I add in the keyboard and pencil) that the M1 MacBook is roughly the same price as the iPad Pro. Its probably a mindset thing but sitting here with my MacBook on my lap seems perfect and comfortable. Will the iPad still feel the same? Its also the backup options with external drives (i.e. Time Machine) and just whacking in a USB drive for example or an SD card.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I am on CC but always use the Classic version so thats not an issue.

I guess at a quick look at prices suggest (once I add in the keyboard and pencil) that the M1 MacBook is roughly the same price as the iPad Pro. Its probably a mindset thing but sitting here with my MacBook on my lap seems perfect and comfortable. Will the iPad still feel the same? Its also the backup options with external drives (i.e. Time Machine) and just whacking in a USB drive for example or an SD card.
iPadOS has had full external drive support for a little while now, just plug a properly formatted drive or USB stick into the USB port and it shows up in the Files app as a separate drive. SD cards are fine and you can import directly into LR from the card, no messing about going through the photos app first like you used to in the bad old days.

Anything you import onto your iPad will sync with LR Classic as well so that's another way of backing up your files. Just factor in that you may want to upgrade to the 1Tb storage version of CC. You can work around the 20Gb limit on the £9.99 plan but it's a pain.

Working on your lap editing photos with the pencil is great, it feels very natural and applying selective edits etc is much easier than with a mouse.

Name
Lennard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I`ve just gone from an iPhone 8 to a 12 Pro MAX and having a little trouble with having to do things differently,

I shall get there never fear but I`m having trouble, so far, with a Game, Fishdom, in closing it down it absolutely refuses and just goes back to the last screen, I also have it on my iPad 6 and closes gracefully on that.

Both are running IOS 14.5 and I know that to close any running Programme a slow swipe from the bottom of the screen bring up running Apps but this, Fishdom, refuse to let me get that far.

Any Ideas apart from, my current choice, switching off the Phone.

Thanks.

sphexx

Likes a dare
Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
No idea really but I usually find delete & re-install apps solves most things or hard reset failing that.
:(.

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I`ve just gone from an iPhone 8 to a 12 Pro MAX and having a little trouble with having to do things differently,

I shall get there never fear but I`m having trouble, so far, with a Game, Fishdom, in closing it down it absolutely refuses and just goes back to the last screen, I also have it on my iPad 6 and closes gracefully on that.

Both are running IOS 14.5 and I know that to close any running Programme a slow swipe from the bottom of the screen bring up running Apps but this, Fishdom, refuse to let me get that far.

Any Ideas apart from, my current choice, switching off the Phone.

Thanks.
Can you four finger swipe to get to another app, then do the slow swipe from the bottom of the screen bring up running Apps and close?