All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I can’t :)
Really looking forward to it.
They actually rang me about my order 30 minutes ago to clarify due to what they called discrepancies lol.
The problem was my orders normally get delivered in my Mrs name ie pencil and iPhone etc.
I wanted it delivered in my name I did point out to them all the orders were always paid for by me.

have you ordered one yourself yet ?

I've not ordered as yet as I want to try a magic keyboard somewhere first, I might just wait until I can stop by an Apple store to try one.

Just a heads up, you probably all know.

I don’t know what to think about phone/tablet repairs, on the one hand they are very reliable on the the other they can bite you when they fail or break. The answer would be modular I think but that would make them to chunky. Perhaps when batteries can be shrunk to the size of hearing aid batteries … :).

Just a heads up, you probably all know.

I don’t know what to think about phone/tablet repairs, on the one hand they are very reliable on the the other they can bite you when they fail or break. The answer would be modular I think but that would make them to chunky. Perhaps when batteries can be shrunk to the size of hearing aid batteries … :).
I’m always careful with my stuff so I don’t get apple care.
The only item that is ever at risk is my main work phone which is why it’s a new iPhone se and not anything better.
I have probably saved 1/2 the cost of my new iPad by not taking out apple care over the years. :)

I’m always careful with my stuff so I don’t get apple care.
The only item that is ever at risk is my main work phone which is why it’s a new iPhone se and not anything better.
I have probably saved 1/2 the cost of my new iPad by not taking out apple care over the years. :)

I’m more or less the same on product “insurance” generally, which I never take out and by & large I must be quids in over the years since most stuff goes wrong within a few months or lasts years :).

"Just Out Of Interest"

I just wondered out of interest if other folk left their "iPad" or "iPhone" on 24/7. It's something at the moment I don't do, but my "MacBook Pro" is left on 24/7 and when I've finished using it I just put it into sleep mode but it's still plugged in.

I've read many things about this, some say you should leave them on and others say you shouldn't. I know that the Apple stores leave their units on & plugged in 24/7.

"Just Out Of Interest"

I just wondered out of interest if other folk left their "iPad" or "iPhone" on 24/7. It's something at the moment I don't do, but my "MacBook Pro" is left on 24/7 and when I've finished using it I just put it into sleep mode but it's still plugged in.

I've read many things about this, some say you should leave them on and others say you shouldn't. I know that the Apple stores leave their units on & plugged in 24/7.

My iPhone is never turned off. Don't have an iPad but my Mac is only ever turned off if we're away.

I never turn off or sleep iPhone (11) and if I’m near the Anker magnetic charging rest I pop it on that and take it off if I notice it’s got to about 95% since it doesn’t seem to shut itself off and top up in the early am like it‘s supposed to on an Apple charger. the iPad iPad Pro and Air 3 I leave on the power cord most of the time.

FWIW I have my old iPad 2 (defective home button) that I use as a clock set to an Australian time zone on powered all the time and so far the battery also seems OK when needed. I also have an iPhone SE used (used) to stream some Tp link Tapo cams via an old Apple TV to a Samsung TV which is on power cord all the time.

My iPhone is never turned off. Don't have an iPad but my Mac is only ever turned off if we're away.

I never turn off or sleep iPhone (11) and if I’m near the Anker magnetic charging rest I pop it on that and take it off if I notice it’s got to about 95% since it doesn’t seem to shut itself off and top up in the early am like it‘s supposed to on an Apple charger. the iPad iPad Pro and Air 3 I leave on the power cord most of the time.

FWIW I have my old iPad 2 (defective home button) that I use as a clock set to an Australian time zone on powered all the time and so far the battery also seems OK when needed. I also have an iPhone SE used (used) to stream some Tp link Tapo cams via an old Apple TV to a Samsung TV which is on power cord all the time.

That's really interesting, I've read all sorts of reports on this and never come to a definite conclusion as to just what to do.

My iPhone the mrs iPhone my mums iPhone my sons iPhone my iPad my mrs iPad and my mums iPad
All stay on indefinitely apart from updates which obviously restarts them when installed.

So has anyone ditched the Macbook for an ipad? My current Macbook is a 2013 and to be honest still working well. But toying with the idea of updating at the next update/chip. An ipad would be more versatile but does it (Pro) have enough grunt of using LR and imovie compared to my macbook? Am also concerned at having the ipad not supported say in 7 years time (Macbooks seem to last longer in that respect)?

So has anyone ditched the Macbook for an ipad? My current Macbook is a 2013 and to be honest still working well. But toying with the idea of updating at the next update/chip. An ipad would be more versatile but does it (Pro) have enough grunt of using LR and imovie compared to my macbook? Am also concerned at having the ipad not supported say in 7 years time (Macbooks seem to last longer in that respect)?

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'd ditched my "15" MacBook Pro" (2019 model) but I'm certainly doing a whole bunch more work on my "12.9 iPad Pro" (2017 model). I shall be ordering the very latest "12.9 iPad Pro" just as soon as I'm fit enough to get to an Apple store to check something else out at the same time. And judging by the speck etc of the latest incarnations of "iPad Pros" I can certainly see me doing the majority of my PP work and most of my designs on the new unit.

I've worked almost exclusively off an iPad Pro since August 2019, they're amazing for photo editing in Lightroom. You have to subscribe to Creative Cloud though which I know a lot of people on here don't like. The apple pencil is also a must for editing photos so factor that into your buying costs. It absolutely flies through Raw files, and that's on a 2018 11" model. The new M1 powered iPads coming out next month are way faster.

You'll read loads of articles online about how iPads are horrible to work from and you can't get stuff done but it's just not true. People seem to want to use them in exactly the same way as a Macbook or PC, but it's a different OS and you have to learn how to use it.

As long as the apps you want are available on the iPad then there's no barrier to getting work done on an iPad. I don't have a keyboard and trackpad for mine yet, and since I'll have had it for 2 years in August I'll be eligible for an upgrade so may go with a new 12.9", so I'm holding off buying a keyboard in case I decide to switch. But I would say get a keyboard and trackpad case too, especially now there are some useable and more sensibly priced 3rd party alternatives to Apple's crazy £300+ magic keyboard

Last edited:
I've worked almost exclusively off an iPad Pro since August 2019, they're amazing for photo editing in Lightroom. You have to subscribe to Creative Cloud though which I know a lot of people on here don't like. The apple pencil is also a must for editing photos so factor that into your buying costs. It absolutely flies through Raw files, and that's on a 2018 11" model. The new M1 powered iPads coming out next month are way faster.

You'll read loads of articles online about how iPads are horrible to work from and you can't get stuff done but it's just not true. People seem to want to use them in exactly the same way as a Macbook or PC, but it's a different OS and you have to learn how to use it.

As long as the apps you want are available on the iPad then there's no barrier to getting work done on an iPad. I don't have a keyboard and trackpad for mine yet, and since I'll have had it for 2 years in August I'll be eligible for an upgrade so may go with a new 12.9", so I'm holding off buying a keyboard in case I decide to switch. But I would say get a keyboard and trackpad case too, especially now there are some useable and more sensibly priced 3rd party alternatives to Apple's crazy £300+ magic keyboard

I am on CC but always use the Classic version so thats not an issue.

I guess at a quick look at prices suggest (once I add in the keyboard and pencil) that the M1 MacBook is roughly the same price as the iPad Pro. Its probably a mindset thing but sitting here with my MacBook on my lap seems perfect and comfortable. Will the iPad still feel the same? Its also the backup options with external drives (i.e. Time Machine) and just whacking in a USB drive for example or an SD card.

I am on CC but always use the Classic version so thats not an issue.

I guess at a quick look at prices suggest (once I add in the keyboard and pencil) that the M1 MacBook is roughly the same price as the iPad Pro. Its probably a mindset thing but sitting here with my MacBook on my lap seems perfect and comfortable. Will the iPad still feel the same? Its also the backup options with external drives (i.e. Time Machine) and just whacking in a USB drive for example or an SD card.

iPadOS has had full external drive support for a little while now, just plug a properly formatted drive or USB stick into the USB port and it shows up in the Files app as a separate drive. SD cards are fine and you can import directly into LR from the card, no messing about going through the photos app first like you used to in the bad old days.

Anything you import onto your iPad will sync with LR Classic as well so that's another way of backing up your files. Just factor in that you may want to upgrade to the 1Tb storage version of CC. You can work around the 20Gb limit on the £9.99 plan but it's a pain.

Working on your lap editing photos with the pencil is great, it feels very natural and applying selective edits etc is much easier than with a mouse.

Hi, I`ve just gone from an iPhone 8 to a 12 Pro MAX and having a little trouble with having to do things differently,

I shall get there never fear but I`m having trouble, so far, with a Game, Fishdom, in closing it down it absolutely refuses and just goes back to the last screen, I also have it on my iPad 6 and closes gracefully on that.

Both are running IOS 14.5 and I know that to close any running Programme a slow swipe from the bottom of the screen bring up running Apps but this, Fishdom, refuse to let me get that far.

Any Ideas apart from, my current choice, switching off the Phone.

Thanks.

No idea really but I usually find delete & re-install apps solves most things or hard reset failing that.
:(.

Hi, I`ve just gone from an iPhone 8 to a 12 Pro MAX and having a little trouble with having to do things differently,

I shall get there never fear but I`m having trouble, so far, with a Game, Fishdom, in closing it down it absolutely refuses and just goes back to the last screen, I also have it on my iPad 6 and closes gracefully on that.

Both are running IOS 14.5 and I know that to close any running Programme a slow swipe from the bottom of the screen bring up running Apps but this, Fishdom, refuse to let me get that far.

Any Ideas apart from, my current choice, switching off the Phone.

Thanks.
Can you four finger swipe to get to another app, then do the slow swipe from the bottom of the screen bring up running Apps and close?

Apple AirTags. Has anyone tried them yet and have you found any (cheap) good third party key-ring holders etc?

I’m getting one to go on a dog collar (yes, I know the pros & cons but in this case it should work) but there doesn’t seem to be any good, cheap holder for this other than key-ring types).

I upgraded my iPad Pro & iPhone to 14.5.1 without a problem. I have since discovered that one of my note taking apps and a game that doesn't bother me can longer be used until the developer updates them. Does anyone know if there is a way that I can still get into the note taking app not to add anything to it but just to read some of the info within it before the developer updates it?

Apple AirTags. Has anyone tried them yet and have you found any (cheap) good third party key-ring holders etc?

I’m getting one to go on a dog collar (yes, I know the pros & cons but in this case it should work) but there doesn’t seem to be any good, cheap holder for this other than key-ring types).

I bought one out of interest. I got the OH to hide it when I was working, and found it easily. I‘m waiting for the Belkin fobs to come into stock.

I see the new iPads have started shipping and are already in some folks hands, so it shouldn't be long now before those of you that have ordered them receive them. :):)

I see the new iPads have started shipping and are already in some folks hands, so it shouldn't be long now before those of you that have ordered them receive them. :):)

Please dont post on here though saying how good they are!!! My willpower is weak!!

Please dont post on here though saying how good they are!!! My willpower is weak!!

No chance of that Simon, as we speak I've not as yet ordered one as I want to wait until I can get into an Apple Store to get one. I have seen some reviews on them though and the results on them are ??????????? :) :)

Don’t bother. Just spent 2 hours looking for ours. Only the second time the dogs worn it.
Just says it’s lost signal and offers no locating help.
Probably fine if you live in a city with lots of signal and lots of phones about, but useless out in the country side.

Don’t bother. Just spent 2 hours looking for ours. Only the second time the dogs worn it.
Just says it’s lost signal and offers no locating help.
Probably fine if you live in a city with lots of signal and lots of phones about, but useless out in the country side.

Yes you are right. I‘ve got it just to check if she‘s in the garden (fairly dense cover and once she’s mousing she ignores me unless I’m close) or has got into neighbours, as she did the other day and couldn’t get herself back (!). All my immediate neighbours have iPhones so I’m hoping it will work. I have a Tile Pro which isn’t directional and it’s big) but has a much stronger signal and louder sound but only reports “very strong, strong etc” rather than distance :(.

Well I have been working on the new iPad today and it’s great.

That's a positive "RESULT" in my book Peter, congrat's and "Enjoy".

"I'll wait with anticipation for your full review" :)

I managed to grab a new iPad from the Apple store in Edinburgh on Friday; on the fence with it to be honest; 12.9” 1TB/16GB 5G version.

It’s noticeably snappier than the 2020 model apps load quicker and websites seem to load faster too; the new screen is nice but in normal use its really no different to the old one; its only when watching specific HDR content or using an app like Apple photo’s that you get the benefit of it.

Battery life seems to have taken a hit too; less than 9 hours which is alright but kinda of expected more given the battery life of the M1 MacBooks; my recently purchased work Laptop (Surface Laptop with an AMD processor easily gives me 9 hours life).

At the end of the day the technical spec of this thing is incredible but iPadOS is clearly now holding it back; I‘ve not decided whether to keep it or not yet; on one hand I love it as a portable device; excellent for media; easily my favourite and most capable device for photo editing (Lightroom and Photoshop are excellent) but on the other at £2000+ for the iPad, Pencil and Magic Keyboard it feels very very expensive for what it is and I just hope that Apple announce serious upgrades to iPadOS at WWDC in June; however the rumours aren’t promising.

If I keep this its replacing an Android Tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+) which in a lot of ways actually feels more capable as a productivity device; better multi-tasking; proper external display support; a front facing webcam that’s in the “right“ place and works really well; and that tablet is less than half the cost; for my use the only place I feel it falls down is photo-editing. Lightroom Mobile on iPad and Android is all but identical but there really isn’t a Photoshop or Affinity Photo type equivalent; Clip Studio Paint is pretty good but some of the features of Lightroom (like Smart Selection) are just so handy!!

I managed to grab a new iPad from the Apple store in Edinburgh on Friday; on the fence with it to be honest; 12.9” 1TB/16GB 5G version.

It’s noticeably snappier than the 2020 model apps load quicker and websites seem to load faster too; the new screen is nice but in normal use its really no different to the old one; its only when watching specific HDR content or using an app like Apple photo’s that you get the benefit of it.

Battery life seems to have taken a hit too; less than 9 hours which is alright but kinda of expected more given the battery life of the M1 MacBooks; my recently purchased work Laptop (Surface Laptop with an AMD processor easily gives me 9 hours life).

At the end of the day the technical spec of this thing is incredible but iPadOS is clearly now holding it back; I‘ve not decided whether to keep it or not yet; on one hand I love it as a portable device; excellent for media; easily my favourite and most capable device for photo editing (Lightroom and Photoshop are excellent) but on the other at £2000+ for the iPad, Pencil and Magic Keyboard it feels very very expensive for what it is and I just hope that Apple announce serious upgrades to iPadOS at WWDC in June; however the rumours aren’t promising.

If I keep this its replacing an Android Tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+) which in a lot of ways actually feels more capable as a productivity device; better multi-tasking; proper external display support; a front facing webcam that’s in the “right“ place and works really well; and that tablet is less than half the cost; for my use the only place I feel it falls down is photo-editing. Lightroom Mobile on iPad and Android is all but identical but there really isn’t a Photoshop or Affinity Photo type equivalent; Clip Studio Paint is pretty good but some of the features of Lightroom (like Smart Selection) are just so handy!!

That's very interesting Chris, and thank you for reporting your findings.

"Just out of interest do you happen to know if "Affinity Photo" is compatible yet with the new M1 chip?"

I actually read in a review (Arstechica maybe?) that Apple had rewritten some part of the software that made the iPad “apparently “quicker” by loading apps faster and so on (they had a word for it). They weren‘t criticising, “apparently quicker” is obviously a good thing. At the time I remembered all those somewhat jokey comments in the past about “Safari is snappier’ and thought “snappier”, as you have :).

My wife’s iPhone is getting to the back end now (battery poor, screen cracked etc) so quite keen to inherit my great condition 7 plus that has served me very well.

Trouble is as much as I would love to get a 12 Pro Max (I rarely treat myself and a new phone every few years is my one indulgence) they are just so much money and I just need to be convinced that the camera part of it is “absolutely brilliant and worth every penny” or something similar.

Worth the money or don’t be daft ?

Ok my iPad m1 12.9 report.
It’s bigger than my 10.5 2017 pro.
It’s light speeds faster than it.
When drawing in illustrator with multiple layers and lots of lines it doesn’t start becoming sluggish like the 10.5.
The screen picture is amazing on hd content etc.
The sound quality is much better.
It’s a totally different machine and I don’t think I could ever go back.
I did debate the 11 originally but now after getting it the size is much better for doing my illustrations on.

Last edited:
My wife’s iPhone is getting to the back end now (battery poor, screen cracked etc) so quite keen to inherit my great condition 7 plus that has served me very well.

Trouble is as much as I would love to get a 12 Pro Max (I rarely treat myself and a new phone every few years is my one indulgence) they are just so much money and I just need to be convinced that the camera part of it is “absolutely brilliant and worth every penny” or something similar.

Worth the money or don’t be daft ?
Don’t be daft! Actually, I dont’t know, haven’t got a 12 anything. I went from a 7Plus to an 11 (they dropped the price too at 12 launch) and it’s physically smaller but bigger screen and the camera is noticeably better though you lose the ”tele” camera. The night mode was worth it for me and some of the other “modes”. And half the price of the 12 Pro max ;).

Back