All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Yeah, it works fine for peoples names for me. Its just the generic entries I have. I have tried renaming doctors to the actual name, but that too is a common / generic name and doesn't appear in the spotlight search either.

If you make an entry with “doctors” in the Company field but leave first & last names blank then Home Page Searching puts it at the top (for me, and I have lots of other stuff with “doctor” in it -- but not if name fields have entries.

If you make an entry with “doctors” in the Company field but leave first & last names blank then Home Page Searching puts it at the top (for me, and I have lots of other stuff with “doctor” in it -- but not if name fields have entries.
Thanks, that (for some reason!) works.
There are some other entries with generic names that I'll need to play round with to understand why they don't come through. A friend who is saved under his nickname doesn't show, but I'll see what workarounds I can find.

Thanks, that (for some reason!) works.
There are some other entries with generic names that I'll need to play round with to understand why they don't come through. A friend who is saved under his nickname doesn't show, but I'll see what workarounds I can find.

Its a frustrating app sometimes and difficult to experiment on if you have several devices as there are strange lags to updating, I assume due to syncin.

However it will find an entry with just “Doctor” in the nickname field (just tried it).

Just changed from an android phone to iPhone and tried to download covid app but apple store wants my bank details , something I'm not comfortable with as it is a free app do I have to give them this and is it safe.

Just changed from an android phone to iPhone and tried to download covid app but apple store wants my bank details , something I'm not comfortable with as it is a free app do I have to give them this and is it safe.

Don't remember having to give my bank details when I downloaded it.

The bank details go to Apple when you use the App Store. I think it’s a bit obscure but I’m pretty certain you can use the App Store for free (including loading or reloading Apple stuff) without giving bank details. Sorry, can’t remember details at present :(.

Taking “square/1:1 video (iPhone 11 onwards?)

I was sure I’d read somewhere that you can do this in Camera app (not just in Clips app) by using the shutter button but couldn’t remember how. Googling for it only turned up cropping to 1:1 in Edit or using Clips app. After a frustrating couple of days thinking I must have dreamed it or confused it with dragging the shutter button in Camera/Video I finally remembered.

Since it seems to be “secret” I thought it may be worth posting here. On at least the iPhone 11, in Camera/Photo set at 1:1, dragging the shutter button to the right starts video. (Also in 4:3 & 16:9). Note this is in Photo not Video!

Maybe not of use to many but it does mean you can hold the phone vertically without getting those annoying ‘portrait’ videos and it fills ‘landscape’ screens better. It’s also useful if you mostly take 1:1 stills on the iPhone as I do.

Not sure if posted before, but I caught this video earlier today and it's worth a watch for anyone considering buying an iMac / MacBook anytime soon:

"Very Pleased"

Two days ago I took delivery of a new "iPhone 12 Pro Max", upgrading from my ageing "iPhone 7 Plus" and all I can say is I'm amazed at this new cell phone. It took less than 30 minutes to transfer everything over via Wi-Fi and all I've had to do apart from the transfer is to add various things such as the cards I want to use with Apple Pay etc and re-sign in to various A/Cs.

I've had a little play with the camera etc but not as yet had time to put it thoroughly through its paces and it's certainly a huge jump up from the one on my old unit, I particularly like the quick action to shoot short vid's or burst shots while in the standard photo mode.

I had considered holding on for another 2-3 months and getting the new "iPhone 13" when it's released but I just got fed up with putting my purchase off any longer. All in all at the moment one very happy bunny. :) :)

Just recently, when I try to send a text from my iPhone SE to my wife's feature phone, Apple decides to send an iMessage to her iPad instead. This is worse than useless when we're out and about but in separate places. I'm on IOS 14.6. Does anyone know how I can stop this?

(I thought I had stopped it a week or so ago but can't remember what it was, and it's obviously stopped working.)

Just recently, when I try to send a text from my iPhone SE to my wife's feature phone, Apple decides to send an iMessage to her iPad instead. This is worse than useless when we're out and about but in separate places. I'm on IOS 14.6. Does anyone know how I can stop this?

(I thought I had stopped it a week or so ago but can't remember what it was, and it's obviously stopped working.)
Yes, it can be a problem. I think you have to turn off Messages in Settings on your phone, which has its own inconveniences :(.

Yes, it can be a problem. I think you have to turn off Messages in Settings on your phone, which has its own inconveniences :(.
Well I think I have fixed it, fingers crossed. There are 2 contacts for her in my Contacts list. The one I originally created on the phone had (I discovered) 2 entries for something like "EDIT: Social media profile", listing EDIT: something beginning x-apple on one of them. I had not created those, but I deleted both of those entries. The other contact entry had synced through from my Mac and had stuff, but including her mobile and email address. I've removed her mobile number from there. I'm not sure which of these was the answer, but a test text got through successfully!

Bloomin' Apple trying to be way too smart... :-(

Edited to correct errors, although since I've deleted those entries and am now relying on my memory, they are still in doubt. I also had to edit at least one of the Contacts on my Mac, and add back her mobile phone number as a Note to one of them!

Last edited:
Bloomin' Apple trying to be way too smart... :-(
Maybe though I think they are stuffed by using the same for SMS & iMessages. There is a setting for ‘send by sms when iMessage no available’ or similar but in your example iMessage was available on her iPad :(. iMessages can use email addresses as well as phone numbers so that’s another source of confusion. I would think if an Android phone is the only ‘identifier’ for a Contact’s entry that would force it to send by sms :(.

Well I've had by "iPhone 12 Pro Max" for just over a week now and all I can say is I'm very pleased & impressed with my purchase. It's a huge jump up from my "iPhone 7 Plus" and all in all is much faster to access apps etc. As for the cameras installed the Wide 26mm equivalent and the Tele 65mm equivalent are extremely good and can produce some very sharp & pleasing snaps, particularly if shooting in RAW and doing a bit of PP work on them. The Ultra Wide 13mm equivalent is not as good optically as the other two but images from it are still perfectly usable and more than acceptable after a bit of PP work on them. As for the stabilisation it is extremely good and only needs the use of my Gimbal to do things that can't easily be done without one. So one very happy bunny. :):)

Well I've had by "iPhone 12 Pro Max" for just over a week now and all I can say is I'm very pleased & impressed with my purchase. It's a huge jump up from my "iPhone 7 Plus" and all in all is much faster to access apps etc. As for the cameras installed the Wide 26mm equivalent and the Tele 65mm equivalent are extremely good and can produce some very sharp & pleasing snaps, particularly if shooting in RAW and doing a bit of PP work on them. The Ultra Wide 13mm equivalent is not as good optically as the other two but images from it are still perfectly usable and more than acceptable after a bit of PP work on them. As for the stabilisation it is extremely good and only needs the use of my Gimbal to do things that can't easily be done without one. So one very happy bunny. :):)

Night mode is awesome.

7DEABB0A-C101-4AF7-BA0B-4C24944E9A9D.jpeg

Many thanks for that I've not as yet had a chance to try it. I'm still working my way through all of the other bits I can do with regards to the photography section, and of course all the extra things I can do now with the more advanced photography apps that I have installed. It sure is one hell of a good bit of kit though.

Quick one hopefully for someone more familiar with MacOS than I am!
I'm really enjoying getting to grips with the M1 MacBook Air I bought but I'm struggling a little with Safari; even if I select "keep me logged in" / "stay logged in" I keep needing to log in fresh every time I visit a website; even if I open another page of a site I'm already logged in to.
I assume there must be some kind of setting somewhere causing this but I'm a little at a loss!

Quick one hopefully for someone more familiar with MacOS than I am!
I'm really enjoying getting to grips with the M1 MacBook Air I bought but I'm struggling a little with Safari; even if I select "keep me logged in" / "stay logged in" I keep needing to log in fresh every time I visit a website; even if I open another page of a site I'm already logged in to.
I assume there must be some kind of setting somewhere causing this but I'm a little at a loss!
Never seen that! I guess it has clearing website data set in Safari Preferences? Maybe under Privacy? Hope someone has a definite answer!

with Safari; even if I select "keep me logged in" / "stay logged in" I keep needing to log in fresh every time I visit a website

The only place I see that is with most of the sites on the Diaspora* network. But I'm continually having to accept cookies on many sites about every thee days or so. Sorry I can't help, Chris, but I thought maybe some Safari expert knows the answer to both problems,

Well in the end I've now got a refurbed MacBook Pro 13 M1 instead of an Air; the first Air went back as I wanted to upgrade the RAM and Storage so picked up a refund, but that second air had a horrible creaking/cracking noise when opening and closing; it seems to be a relatively common issue for some reason; I tried another (3rd one) and it had the same issue.

Paid the extra £150 to go for a refurb Pro with 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD; this thing is incredible; I'm not sure why I've not bought a 13" MBP before instead of endless poor Windows attempts at being a MacBook; the battery is incredible; I've used this since 9AM this morning for work, browsing, video calls and steaming video/music and its still sitting at 56%; I also love the Touch Bar which I didn't think I would; my last MacBook (2015 15" MBP) was the one before they introduced it.

Not cheap but very comparable to a similar Windows machine (Surface Laptop 4 really) but the battery life on that even with the AMD CPU only gets about 7-8 hours with light usage.

I still need Windows for the odd awkward thing (I do work in IT) but for everything else this is just great; its also removed my iPad Pro M1 lusting; how can I possibly justify paying another £750 on top of this for a 1TB iPad, Magic Keyboard and Pencil? for that £750 I can get an iPad Air if I really want it or just about stretch to a 2020 iPad Pro

"Heads Up"

There's a new update out today for "Affinity Photo" (iPad Version) to version 1.10.0 if anyone is interested.

"Result" :) :)

Today I tried successfully to set up my new "iPhone 12 pro max" with my "DJI Osmo 3" gimbal, and surprise, surprise it actually works perfectly. I must admit I didn't expect it too as the cell phone alone is a tad over the recommended weight and with a glass screen protector and a case fitted together with one of those stick on ring things for your finger on the back of the phone I thought I might be pushing my luck a bit. But it balanced without too much problem with no counter weights added and there's not a scrap of vibration from the motors. I gave it a try with the DJI app and my favorite Filmic Pro app and both work just fine with all available functions.

"Heads Up"

There's a new update out today for "Affinity Photo" (iPad Version) to version 1.10.1 if anyone is interested.

I've got quite a few camera apps on my iPhone but without a doubt my go to app for stills is "ProCamera" and I've managed to get some excellent results when using this app. I have my app set up for shooting in Pro Raw file format to try and get the best quality from my files but I do find that I cannot shoot in very quick succession when using RAW only in JPG which is a file format I don't want to shoot in. Also as one my favourite styles of shooting is candid street style it would help if there was a face recognition added to this app.

So yesterday I gave the standard iPhone camera app a go and to my surprise it did everything I wanted ie, Pro Raw files, quick succession shooting, and face recognition that was deadly fast & accurate. It's the first time I have ventured into using face recognition and I must admit it could be a game changer for me as I've always been a little wary of shooting candid street stuff at close quarters. So yesterday I just set up as if I was taking a view or something and waited for people to walk into the frame, and hey presto close quarters candid street images with perfect sharpness due to face recognition. So as from now this will be my go to app for this type of snapping with my iPhone.

Last edited:
"Heads Up"

Anyone that's using "Filmic Pro" on their iPhone or iPad there's a new update out today that looks very interesting.

I was just thinking that, despite its tiny sensor chip, the iPad has one hell of a good viewfinder! :naughty:

iPad in hand camera TZ70 P1030655.JPG

"At Last"

On Saturday just gone I made a trip up to London for some street photography etc, and thought while I was around the Covent Garden area I'd pay me a visit to the Apple Store just in the off chance they might have the new "12.9 iPad Pro 1TB" in stock.
And to my surprise they had just the very one I'd been wanting for so long. So without further delay I bought one in Silver together with a white "Magic Keyboard & Apple Pencil". I've not had the time to unpack it as yet (just about to do so) and to start transferring everything over from my old unit. But if it's as easy as when I transferred things over from my recent iPhone purchase then within the next hour or so everything should be up and running. :):)

Last edited:
Just received this.

Apple on Monday issued emergency software updates for a critical vulnerability in its products after security researchers uncovered a flaw that allows highly invasive spyware from Israel’s NSO Groupto infect anyone’s iPhone, iWatch or Mac computer without so much as a click.
Apple’s security team has been working around the clock to develop a fix since Tuesday, after researchers at Citizen Lab, a cybersecurity watchdog organization at the University of Toronto, discovered that a Saudi activist’s iPhone had been infected with spyware from NSO Group.
The spyware, called Pegasus, used a novel method to invisibly infect an Apple device without the victim’s knowledge for as long as six months. Known as a “zero click remote exploit,” it is considered the Holy Grail of surveillance because it allows governments, mercenaries and criminals to secretly break into a victim’s device without tipping them off.
Using the zero-click infection method, Pegasus can turn on a user’s camera and microphone, record their messages, texts, emails, calls — even those sent via encrypted messaging and phone apps like Signal — and send it back to NSO’s clients at governments around the world.

"At Last"

On Saturday just gone I made a trip up to London for some street photography etc, and thought while I was around the Covent Garden area I'd pay me a visit to the Apple Store just in the off chance they might have the new "12.9 iPad Pro 1TB" in stock.
And to my surprise they had just the very one I'd been wanting for so long. So without further delay I bought one in Silver together with a white "Magic Keyboard & Apple Pencil". I've not had the time to unpack it as yet (just about to do so) and to start transferring everything over from my old unit. But if it's as easy as when I transferred things over from my recent iPhone purchase then within the next hour or so everything should be up and running. :):)
I've just bought one of those with the same accessories, great piece of kit :)

I've just bought one of those with the same accessories, great piece of kit :)

It sure is one hell of a bit of kit alright !!

I've pretty much got mine fully set up to my liking now and of course been messing about with it trying various things. It absolutely flies through tasks and will even drive my external non SSD hard drives. I'm very impressed.

Just received this.

Apple on Monday issued emergency software updates for a critical vulnerability in its products after security researchers uncovered a flaw that allows highly invasive spyware from Israel’s NSO Groupto infect anyone’s iPhone, iWatch or Mac computer without so much as a click.
Apple’s security team has been working around the clock to develop a fix since Tuesday, after researchers at Citizen Lab, a cybersecurity watchdog organization at the University of Toronto, discovered that a Saudi activist’s iPhone had been infected with spyware from NSO Group.
The spyware, called Pegasus, used a novel method to invisibly infect an Apple device without the victim’s knowledge for as long as six months. Known as a “zero click remote exploit,” it is considered the Holy Grail of surveillance because it allows governments, mercenaries and criminals to secretly break into a victim’s device without tipping them off.
Using the zero-click infection method, Pegasus can turn on a user’s camera and microphone, record their messages, texts, emails, calls — even those sent via encrypted messaging and phone apps like Signal — and send it back to NSO’s clients at governments around the world.

Many thanks for the heads up Richard, all done & dusted.

Back