All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I was just happy to see the battery improvements, especially for the 13 mini.

Apart from that there was nothing really that interested me tbh

Oh dear, looks like I will be the only one spending all my savings with Apple! :D

Was looking to replace my Watch2 so the 7 seems a good bet. Dont NEED to replace my 11, but daughter needs a phone so tempted to give her mine and upgrade. Then its down to what to do to replace my 2013 MacBook...

Oh dear, looks like I will be the only one spending all my savings with Apple! :D

Was looking to replace my Watch2 so the 7 seems a good bet. Dont NEED to replace my 11, but daughter needs a phone so tempted to give her mine and upgrade. Then its down to what to do to replace my 2013 MacBook...

Apple have had quite a bit from me during the last two months. With what I bought last Saturday from them the total is just over 3.5k. Plus my wife also bought an "iPhone 12 Pro Max" which was another 1400 bucks.

Last edited:
Well I was underwhelmed by the Apple presentation.

The things that would be of use to me with regards to the new "iPhone 13 pro max" are the extra focal length of the tele lens, the more battery power, and the 1tb of storage. Some of the new video features looked quite useful as well. But none of it worth upgrading from my recently purchased "iPhone 12 pro max 512gb". I was kinda hoping they'd put a periscope lens on the new one but hopefully that'll come when they release the "iPhone 14" series.

The things that would be of use to me with regards to the new "iPhone 13 pro max" are the extra focal length of the tele lens, the more battery power, and the 1tb of storage. Some of the new video features looked quite useful as well. But none of it worth upgrading from my recently purchased "iPhone 12 pro max 512gb". I was kinda hoping they'd put a periscope lens on the new one but hopefully that'll come when they release the "iPhone 14" series.

I dont think anyone will be overwhelmed with any future new release. All that we can expect is more power, more efficient battery, a small styling update and some better/additional photo benefits. Its the same with any electronic piece of kit, small incremental upgrades aside from the rare big events.

Look at cameras, the first one is often groundbreaking (X100) but anything else is just small improvements.

I dont think anyone will be overwhelmed with any future new release. All that we can expect is more power, more efficient battery, a small styling update and some better/additional photo benefits. Its the same with any electronic piece of kit, small incremental upgrades aside from the rare big events.

Look at cameras, the first one is often groundbreaking (X100) but anything else is just small improvements.

I think you are wrong. I think folding screen phones will finally take off when Apple release one.

can't be bothered to watch, was there any new iPads mentioned or larger screen iMacs?

iPad 9, and as the other articles have stated “it’s an iPad” so just a new processor and the centre stage camera ability

There's also a new, redesigned iPad Mini and the specs look a lot better than the old one.

I think you are wrong. I think folding screen phones will finally take off when Apple release one.

I can't see myself getting one (says the man who though the original iPad was a waste of time and pointless, then after playing with one in a Apple store bought one). I would have concerns about the bendy bit breaking as well it being too flexible (am sure its not but could it flex a bit when gaming or taking pics? Had a Motorola back in the day but not sure I would be so keen on one now.

Out of interest, I thought I’d see what Apple trade in offers for my iPhone 11 Pro 256gb against a 13 Pro

£360

no thanks. I know it’s 2 years old but I don’t see the point..

I could be interested in a new iPad though as I have one from 2018 and one from God knows when ( it’s very old and slow ). I thought about an 11” Pro for editing photos but then wondered what the merit would be as I only post to Flickr or IG

I wouldn't bother with a 7 - I'd get an outgoing 6 if there any reductions anywhere - or even an SE - or even wait until the next one. I have a feeling that the 8 will see some proper changes when it comes to what it can sense and how well it does it. The difference between the 6 and 7 in real world use is not going to be earth shatteringly different :) I have a 2 and a 5 - both work perfectly well and do everything I want them to. (One was inherited which is why I have 2 - one for daytime - one for night-time)

I wouldn't bother with a 7 - I'd get an outgoing 6 if there any reductions anywhere - or even an SE - or even wait until the next one. I have a feeling that the 8 will see some proper changes when it comes to what it can sense and how well it does it. The difference between the 6 and 7 in real world use is not going to be earth shatteringly different :) I have a 2 and a 5 - both work perfectly well and do everything I want them to. (One was inherited which is why I have 2 - one for daytime - one for night-time)

For me its the bigger display which helps.

For me its the bigger display which helps.
In real life everyday usage terms though - I have a feeling that it'll be barely noticeable in difference. If it were 50 percent bigger screen area maybe it would be clearly different :) but moving the existing screen a mm or two closer to the edge on all sides doesn't really 'shout' bigger screen to me. I'd suspect that if you had a 6 and a 7 on table in front of you, you'd hardly notice the difference. I suppose if you were someone that didn't own a watch, then the 7 isn't a bad bet - but if you happened to already own a watch - then the change isn't all that drastic in real-world experience. I'd go have a look at one close-up and personal before buying just to be sure the difference is enough of a difference to justify the premium price of a new model. You can tell I don't get swayed by all the magic marketing these days about screens being 20 percent bigger and 10 percent brighter and batteries that last 3.5 percent longer :ROFLMAO: Just read this article which puts it across quite nicely:

A good read

Well, i have a 3, so as I understand it, the 7 is bigly bigger!

It is out now. No major difference on my iPhone 8 test device, putting it on my 12 Mini main device now.
That’s a bit odd, on my phone it’s not an “update in the usual place but an “Upgrade” at the foot of the screen!

Nothing on the iPad though except a trailer for 15

Same here, iOS iPadOS WatchOS 8. All OK.

I thought I found a problem when I ‘shared’ a photo from Photos to Email. The photo didn’t appear in the email and no keyboard in the body area. Repeated a few times then closed Photos and Mail and retried and it was OK so don’t know what happened there.

All done & dusted.

Not so sure that I liked the way the iPad update had rearranged my screen etc and added widgets. But now I've got it back to more or less how I like it and removed the widgets all seems to be working just fine.

Did the IPad. First thing I did was to make it look like the old ios. Haven't done iphone yet. Tabbed look of safari isn't as nice looking as the old one.

Found the setting to put the app icons back to being a bit bigger. With the high res of the iPad mini the writing size is tiny even on the largest size.

Tabbed look of safari isn't as nice looking as the old one.

I’m finding it better in use than the old one now, the current tab is easier to spot.

The tab groups are an advance.

Not just Safari, but the new way to split/floating views is much better.

Last edited:
I like the single tab at the bottom on my phone as it’s easier to use Safari one-handed. Prefer separate one tabs on the iPad. Though I do wish they’d put the bookmarks bar below the tabs.
But on the iPad you can put a Favourites bar below the tabs, isn’t that near enough?

I confess I don’t use the bookmarks much as I usually find typing the first few letters of the website is quick enough.

Might be a strange question, but is it just my iPads that after the new update the headings for both TP & Flickr and probably some other apps/pages are showing much darker than they used to, ie dark blue as apposed to the light blue they used to be ?

Might be a strange question, but is it just my iPads that after the new update the headings for both TP & Flickr and probably some other apps/pages are showing much darker than they used to, ie dark blue as apposed to the light blue they used to be ?
Not sure if this is what you mean and I can’t quite figure out what it’s doing but there‘s a Safari Setting for “show colour in tab bar”.

Not sure if this is what you mean and I can’t quite figure out what it’s doing but there‘s a Safari Setting for “show colour in tab bar”.

Thanks for that Richard, but I can't find that setting anywhere on my iPads. Could that be a Mac setting by any chance ?

Thanks for that Richard, but I can't find that setting anywhere on my iPads. Could that be a Mac setting by any chance ?
iPadOS Settings/Safari/Show Colour in Tab Bar on/off , it just under the two graphics showing the tab bar types in the “box” labelled Tabs.

I’m looking on a iPad Pro 10.5 so it must be in your super duper new one ;).

iPadOS Settings/Safari/Show Colour in Tab Bar on/off , it just under the two graphics showing the tab bar types in the “box” labelled Tabs.

I’m looking on a iPad Pro 10.5 so it must be in your super duper new one ;).

Many thanks for that Richard (y)

I've now found it and set it to off and all seems to be as it was. In actual fact it probably wasn't anything showing darker just that the tab bar was no longer showing in white. It looks just fine now though and how it looked before the update.

D'oh! I meant that I wanted the Favourites bar *above* the tabs, as it was before the upgrade. Or, at least, I *thought* it was. And now I can't remember! :D
Lock the screen and turn the iPad upside down*, they’ll be above the tabs then ;) :exit:

* I always use the iPad upside down and so use some simple apps, that are designed for iPhone and won’t rotate, that way ;).

Back