All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Mistaken Posting.

Last edited:
I found that “Stage Manager” was mysteriously turned off after the Security Update. Maybe just a coincicidence but … . Tesolved by turning it back on.

Anyone using an Apple Pencil alternative? I'm buying an iPad Air 5 and don't really want to spend another £140 on a pencil. I know most of the 3rd party ones aren't pressure sensitive but is that really important? I will be editing photos on it.

The Verge wrote a pretty good review on one which I’ve linked below, like you said they lack pressure sensitivity, but for £25-£30 it’s worth a punt.

https://www.theverge.com/23636586/apple-pencil-2nd-generation-knockoff-clone-budget-review

I will say though, I’ve got the genuine Apple Pencil (Gen2), and it’s absolutely fantastic and definitely better than all other offerings I’ve tried, with my Surface Pen’s coming in a close second

Last edited:
That doesn't seem to be the one in the review.

Anyone using an Apple Pencil alternative? I'm buying an iPad Air 5 and don't really want to spend another £140 on a pencil. I know most of the 3rd party ones aren't pressure sensitive but is that really important? I will be editing photos on it.
Wouldnt you get more feedback in the Editing Forum?

I have the original Pencil and despite its stupid charging system it‘s certainly better than the cheap version I also have.

Edit to add: the cheap version I have functions well for some non-photo editing tasks but it causes some odd conflicts with other parts of iPadOS so beware!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I had an Apple Pencil 2 when I had the iPad Pro so I know it’s an excellent pencil but this time round I think I’m gonna give one of the cheap versions a go. Like I said not sure I wanna spend another £140 just now.

My son did the Apple Summer Camp at the weekend and got to use the Apple Pencil on an iPad, so I think I'll be buying him one of the cheaper alternatives, as he did some really good drawing with the pencil.

Just out of interest.

Since the last update for the Apple Watch (series eight) the battery seems to go down quite a bit more for the same amount of use.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

Just out of interest.

Since the last update for the Apple Watch (series eight) the battery seems to go down quite a bit more for the same amount of use.

Apple themselves say that devices that are updated - watches, phones, pads - will often use more battery for a few days before 'settling down' to normal usage again.

Apple themselves say that devices that are updated - watches, phones, pads - will often use more battery for a few days before 'settling down' to normal usage again.

Thanks for that Malc, must admit I hadn't seen or heard that. The battery depletion is not alarming, just something I'd noticed.

Thanks for that Malc, must admit I hadn't seen or heard that. The battery depletion is not alarming, just something I'd noticed.
Powering off the watch then restarting it could help, according to some comments on the Apple help forum...

Just out of interest.

I’m running the preview of WatchOS 10, and it absolutely destroyed my battery for the first day or so, although I’ve come to expect this from major updates

I’m running the preview of WatchOS 10, and it absolutely destroyed my battery for the first day or so, although I’ve come to expect this from major updates

Thanks for that Neil, much appreciated.

Mrs F's iPad Air doesn't appear to want to charge. We've tried it on different chargers, including both macbook ones, but it's stil dead. It's the 2022 model so is only 16 months old. Any ideas? :help:

Mrs F's iPad Air doesn't appear to want to charge. We've tried it on different chargers, including both macbook ones, but it's stil dead. It's the 2022 model so is only 16 months old. Any ideas? :help:

Apple Support

If that doesn't work you could take it into an Apple Store and they'll plug it into a MacBook and run diagnostics.

Apple Support

If that doesn't work you could take it into an Apple Store and they'll plug it into a MacBook and run diagnostics.
Thanlks Garry.

Turns out it was in DFU ode, apparently caused by an update. She tried a few fixes but none worked so she hooked it up to her MacBook and reset it. She's happy now.

Just out of interest.

I've no idea when 9.6 was updated on my SE2, but I have noticed a much faster than usual power drain in the last few days. I see the post saying things settle down, so I'll watch and wait. I have rebooted it this morning...

Apparently, we shouldn't buy the iPhone 15.

That's an interesting read Garry, thanks for the link.

"Regardless of what the rumours for the 16 series are I shall still be going for an "iPhone 15 Pro Max" and if I feel it necessary I shall upgrade to the 16 series in a years time. Every year there's someone rumouring to hang on another year and when the 16 is due almost certainly the same type of rumours will emerge again. I cannot possibly hang on yet another year as my iPhone is already three incarnations behind and I'm already virtually using it for most of my photography. As long as the "iPhone 15 Pro Max" is at least as good as my wife's 14 Pro Max (which it will be) and probably better then I shall be quite happy"

Last edited:
Nothing wrong just out of interest.

I wonder if any of you Apple iCloud users have ever lost files on iCloud ? Not through your own fault ie accidentally deleting etc but something going wrong at Apple etc.

I've always found iCloud to be very stable and have yet to experience any problems.

Nothing wrong just out of interest.

I wonder if any of you Apple iCloud users have ever lost files on iCloud ? Not through your own fault ie accidentally deleting etc but something going wrong at Apple etc.

I've always found iCloud to be very stable and have yet to experience any problems.
Not so far. Tempting fate George! ;)

What sort of battery life are people getting from their watches? Took mine off charge at 8am and it's currently at 80%

I get about 17hrs out of mine on average, depends on the usage.

An average day for me will be 3 tracked walks with the dogs, combined about 2-3hrs, and an additional hour of cardio/HIIT so frequent heartbeat measurements. Aside from that it’s standard notifications and not a lot else.

I have an old one so it just about lasts 2 days as I've turned a lot of the junk off it. Notifications are just the important ones. Software update seems to have made it worse as it could just wheeze through 2.5 days previously.

After having Fitbits the battery life is very poor in comparison.

What sort of battery life are people getting from their watches? Took mine off charge at 8am and it's currently at 80%

I’m not sure comparisons with a few different people will tell you much as it must depend on how many ’non-watch’ functions are being used :(.

FWIW I charge mine on my wrist around 10pm and it usually has around 40% left and then turn off display and wear it at night.

I’m not sure comparisons with a few different people will tell you much as it must depend on how many ’non-watch’ functions are being used :(.
I was just curious tbh.
FWIW I charge mine on my wrist around 10pm and it usually has around 40% left and then turn off display and wear it at night.
How do you charge it on your wrist?

I was just curious tbh.

How do you charge it on your wrist?

I just stick the circular magnetic charger under the watch. I have been known to fall asleep and find it still ther in the morning :LOL:

I generally get 2 days/1 night out of a charge, but tend to put it on the charger for a bit when I'm sat at my desk in meetings, so rarely notice it going flat.

My charger is in my office, don't fancy sleeping in there!

The magnetic thingy I have is USB so it plugs into my multipliciyt of USB chargers or into a power bank, or in the car I suppose but have not done that. Having recently had a couple of brief spells in hospital I carry a spare in the bag I take on such occasions along with iPhone and iPad cables and power bank.

Back