All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I updated an iPad about an hour ago, and it went smoothly, but the download is taking significantly longer on my iPhone, as I expect Apple's servers are being hammered.

FWIW I’ve been on iPadOS 17 Beta for weeks now with no problems … so far :)

Same, I think WatchOS was a more worthwhile update though

I knew I was tempting fate saying no problems. None with iPadOS but watchOS 10 seems to have removed swipe to change face -- or least I can’t get it to work on mine and there are a host of posts about ! I expect the mystery will be solved soon.

watchOS 10. Tap & hold then swipe changes watch face. Apparently there have been complaints it’s too easy to accidentally change face — I’ve never found it so.

I knew I was tempting fate saying no problems. None with iPadOS but watchOS 10 seems to have removed swipe to change face -- or least I can’t get it to work on mine and there are a host of posts about ! I expect the mystery will be solved soon.
You're right, mine won't change either.

Also, a bit miffed about the change to Control Center. I find that side button quite difficult, swiping up was much easier.

Only had the watch a month or so but can't say I've accidentally changed the face and if anyone would...

I’ve changed mine accidentally a few times, the new method of press/hold to change the face works much better!

I’ve changed mine accidentally a few times, the new method of press/hold to change the face works much better!
I can see that might vary with individual and possibly the old system was better if you change the face a lot (I do). An option to change the default would be good!

I don’t change my face at all, but have woken up several times wondering what is going on, as the face has changed in the night :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I can see that might vary with individual and possibly the old system was better if you change the face a lot (I do). An option to change the default would be good!

Especially now you’ve got Snoopy

The one thing I have wished for is to be able to change te default minute timers. For example I use 8 mins a lot and it’s fiddly to set custom times. They seem to have done something like that -- not sure what yet bur the display of “timers” is better and they seem to have added the ”frequents” to the “defaults”.

“Hey Siri, set a timer for 8 minutes”.

or even

“Hey Siri, set a Pizza timer for 8 minutes” - which allows you to have several different timers going on at the same time.

“Hey Siri, set a timer for 8 minutes”.

or even

“Hey Siri, set a Pizza timer for 8 minutes” - which allows you to have several different timers going on at the same time.
I’ll try it but I don’t have much luck with Siri :(

Have you tried retraining Siri?

Turn listen for siri off, then on again and follow the prompts.

Have you tried retraining Siri?

Turn listen for siri off, then on again and follow the prompts.
Thanks for tip. It does seem to have improved (or I have) since last I tried.

Just about to start updating my units now, as I've been away for a few days to Singapore and have only been back a few hours.

I have an original iPhone SE, so still on iOS 15. I was pleased they are still doing security updates there, had one the other dat.

I have noticed a few issues with iOS 17, my bank app (First Direct) no longer recognises me and I cannot post an existing photo to Instagram stories, as the photos are too low resolution.

I have noticed a few issues with iOS 17, my bank app (First Direct) no longer recognises me and I cannot post an existing photo to Instagram stories, as the photos are too low resolution.
Restarting the phone seems to have fixed it.

Does anybody use handoff with their Mac (mini or otherwise) and their iPad.
Now I have my new Mac mini it's something I might try when editing.

Is there a good guide or YouTube anyone can recommend?

I use it with my iPhone and Macs, but not for editing.

I finally have just managed to update the last of my Apple units to the new operating system, must admit they did take a bit longer than I'd expected. I've not had a chance as yet to have a good look at what's going on but so far all seems to be well.

I think you may have to turn it off on the Mac, then on again, then restart Mac and watch.

On the unexpected “face” switching, which I‘d never experienced — I have now except that it’s a weather forecast that seems to replace the face unexpectedly :LOL: which is on “swipe up” it seems.

Actually its quite convenient to have that on swipe up as I can replace “outside temp” on my watchface — I fing that remarkably accurate and useful for controlling my heating, I guess that may vary in accuracy around the country depending how close you are to a weather station.

Last edited:
I'd rebooted the macbook but not the watch. All good now, thanks

Apple is getting more like Microsoft, ie switch off and start again.

Same here. I prefer the new system.

One thing I am pleased about with the updates, is that my Apple watch now pairs with my iPhone for cycling workouts,so I can have my iPhone on my handlebars to view information, rather than having to take my hands off the bars to look at my watch. This isn't such a big deal in summer, wearing t-shirts, but sub-optimal when wearing long sleeves and especially multiple layers etc. I'm not one for power meters and that, but it's a bonus for those who are, as they can now use the iPhone as a display for all that information too. If Apple can then include mapping, tracking etc, then they could kill off the cycling GPS unit market as well, which would be a bonus because those things are useful, but invariably have crap software (Garmin I'm looking at you...). Less plastic crap in landfill etc too. And they're so expensive for what they are. The fewer devices to carry, the better.

But the very best thing about the updates, is no more ducking....

Well my wife managed to get an "iPhone 15 Pro Max" this very morning (which apparently I'm paying for) and I have been allowed to have a little play with it (the phone that is) and all I can say is it's photographically "Phenomenal".

She's already been using a 14 Pro Max from last year and even apart from the new tele lens/camera (which is very good) it's an improvement on that unit. The detail from the new phone is extremely good and the new portrait configuration is really something a bit special.

Apparently when not snapping in RAW the cameras combine two images from each pic' (not just in portrait mode) and somehow you end up with a 24mp file. Not sure how it all works but however it's done you sure do end up with a very nice highly detailed pic', and for someone such as myself who always snaps in RAW if it's available, the need for that might just not be quite so much of a need at least for my street photography.

I've got a new unit on pre order for myself but delivery is not expected until the 9th-16th October, and after playing around with this unit I'm really looking forward to receiving my own new phone. It will be a huge step up from my old 12 Pro Max and will quite possibly be my go to camera.

Oh I nearly forgot, you can also make calls and do other things as well with the new phone. :) :)

Last edited:
"Heads Up"

If any one is using the "ProCamera" app for photography on their iPhone then there is a very useful update out with some very good features. I personally think this is the best iPhone picture taking app available and I use it extensively. I personally have not found anything that is as good for controlled picture taking on an iPhone and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Does anyone use their watch to unlock their macbook? Mine won't since the watchos10 update.
Had the same issue after updating my iPhone and Apple watch to the latest versions. I powered off my watch, iPhone and my Mac and then restarted them all. After that, it started working again. I think it's Apple iCloud security needing to be sure all is OK. The latest update to MacOS is due next week so I am not expecting that to be trouble-free.

"Heads Up"

If any one is using the "ProCamera" app for photography on their iPhone then there is a very useful update out with some very good features. I personally think this is the best iPhone picture taking app available and I use it extensively. I personally have not found anything that is as good for controlled picture taking on an iPhone and I can thoroughly recommend it.
I bought the Halide.app mk1 last year but to be honest hardly ever used it. I chose not to update to the ProCamera i.e. Halide mk 2.
The latest Apple Camera app can do everything I want.

I bought the Halide.app mk1 last year but to be honest hardly ever used it. I chose not to update to the ProCamera i.e. Halide mk 2.
The latest Apple Camera app can do everything I want.

I tried the Halide app and just couldn't get on with it. I also use the standard Apple app for some of my street snapping as its the only app I've found that has facial detection.

Back